Export thread

Health and Fitness News

BananaHands

BananaHands

Well, hey. Since I have a fancy banner under my name I should start being a bit more productive in my realm on this forum.

So here's a spot to post and discuss the things happening in the world in regards to health and fitness.[DOUBLEPOST=1376932353,1376932204][/DOUBLEPOST]So yeah, this is making me rethink my 3-4 cups a day routine...

Four cups of coffee a day may raise early death risk in younger adults.

Study Says Excess Coffee May Be Linked To Early Death. Should We Believe It?

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Hm, and... Harvard says coffee might reduce risk of suicide.

Science reporting is hard to do, and I have sympathy for the reporters - the really good ones may have a background in science, but others might have just been assigned the story. The best thing to do, of course, is read the study, but that's time consuming, can be challenging if you're not a scientist and you may not even be able to get access to the study without subscribing to very expensive journals or databases.

This leads to a problem of really simplified versions of results and questions of studies. And it explains why you get a study out of the Mayo, which is what your links discuss, saying coffee may increase risk of early death, while you also get a study out of Harvard that says coffee might reduce suicide risk. Obviously these two studies aren't mutually exclusive (coffee may increase natural death risk, while decreasing the tendency of coffee drinkers to end their own lives), but it also means that having a cut-and-dry piece of evidence of the health of a particular food or drink is nearly impossible.

Also, the cynical answer: everybody's gotta die sometime, and I'd rather die sooner loving my coffee than die later without it's wonderful flavour.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Hm, and... Harvard says coffee might reduce risk of suicide.

Science reporting is hard to do, and I have sympathy for the reporters - the really good ones may have a background in science, but others might have just been assigned the story. The best thing to do, of course, is read the study, but that's time consuming, can be challenging if you're not a scientist and you may not even be able to get access to the study without subscribing to very expensive journals or databases.

This leads to a problem of really simplified versions of results and questions of studies. And it explains why you get a study out of the Mayo, which is what your links discuss, saying coffee may increase risk of early death, while you also get a study out of Harvard that says coffee might reduce suicide risk. Obviously these two studies aren't mutually exclusive (coffee may increase natural death risk, while decreasing the tendency of coffee drinkers to end their own lives), but it also means that having a cut-and-dry piece of evidence of the health of a particular food or drink is nearly impossible.

Also, the cynical answer: everybody's gotta die sometime, and I'd rather die sooner loving my coffee than die later without it's wonderful flavour.
Yeah. Studies on coffee are always jumping all over the place. First it makes you lose weight, then it makes you gain weight. It reduces liver disease. :confused:

I figure if I ride the two cups a day thing, I can just get a little of column A and column B.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I remember once, after a nutritionist friend of the family's had left our house after we'd had them over for a dinner and she held counsel on all the various things that can harm you in food, my mother commented, "I think bubblegum is the only thing left that won't kill me."

Dei

Dei

Everything is bad for you, everything will kill you. It's really just a matter of how quickly. ;)

Shakey

Shakey

I remember once, after a nutritionist friend of the family's had left our house after we'd had them over for a dinner and she held counsel on all the various things that can harm you in food, my mother commented, "I think bubblegum is the only thing left that won't kill me."
Unless you swallow it. It will sit in your stomach for 7 years!

BananaHands

BananaHands

Unless you swallow it. It will sit in your stomach for 7 years!
The gif in your signature made that post 10x funnier than it should have been.

BananaHands

BananaHands

So, this is interesting and I will definitely be trying this out after leg day this week.

Watermelon Juice Relieves Post-Exercise Soreness

strawman

strawman

New study on exercise and sleep has interesting implications, particularly for those trying to use exercise to improve their insomnia:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/21/how-exercise-can-help-us-sleep-better/?src=me&ref=general

Still, the preliminary message of these findings is heartening. If you habitually experience insomnia and don’t currently exercise, Dr. Baron said, start. Don’t, however, expect that you will enjoy or even complete workouts that occur on the day after a broken night’s sleep, or that you will sleep better hours after you’ve exercised.
The process is more gradual and less immediately gratifying than the sleep-deprived might wish. But the benefits do develop. “It took four months” in the original study, Dr. Baron said, but at that point the exercising volunteers “were sleeping at least 45 minutes more a night.” “That’s huge, as good as or better” than most current treatment options for sleep disturbances, including drugs, she said.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

New study on exercise and sleep has interesting implications, particularly for those trying to use exercise to improve their insomnia:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/21/how-exercise-can-help-us-sleep-better/?src=me&ref=general
Huh. My insomnia's been back in force the last few nights, and that's with my sleeping pills. I know I should exercise more anyway, but this is interesting.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Salmonella Warning for Vegetarians (or also, "Dirty Hippies Should Wash Their Hands While Preparing Tempeh")

Oh and The Difference Between Natural and Chemically Induced Sleep.

Which is interesting, I've been prone to ride the Advil PM / Melatonin train when my insomnia kicks in.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Oh and The Difference Between Natural and Chemically Induced Sleep.

Which is interesting, I've been prone to ride the Advil PM / Melatonin train when my insomnia kicks in.
The author of this article, one "Doctor" Garber, is Stuart H. Garber, D.C., Ph.D. President, California Homeopathic Medical Society. He has a doctorate, but he is not a doctor as in, a medical physician, and he sells his own brand of homeopathic remedies. Hmm. Agenda!

I am suspicious of his motives in writing the article; not that sleep deprivation isn't a problem, I have terrible insomnia. I note he picks out a few extreme examples -sleep eating hundreds of calories, sleep driving- not referring to the millions more where no side effects are found, or much less serious ones exist. He also neglects to mention that, according to the very article he linked, upon switching to another "popular" sleep aid, these sleep-acting problems stopped; the article itself makes no attempt to relate the number of people on Ambien and the number experiencing it, only briefly quoting a doctor who said that the cause is unclear and happens in people who are "susceptible."

Furthermore, he completely leaves out drugs known as 'sleep deepeners' which are specifically designed to ensure you have a deep sleep, because of now-known failings of other drugs to achieve this. (My sample size in terms of their efficacy on that front is just myself, and anecdotal evidence isn't evidence, but, I'd be running on 2hrs/sleep nearly every day if it wasn't for my "sleep deepeners".)[DOUBLEPOST=1377538955,1377538513][/DOUBLEPOST]Unrelated to my criticism: my favourite side effect of Ambien as listed on the drug resource page has got to be "drowsiness." Uhm.. It damn well better!

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

The more I read about this guy, the more every scepticism bell rings. He is a charlatan. I appreciate his YouTube video where he explains homeopathy works because diluting a substance over and over removes its toxic properties, while increasing its kinetic energy so it is more curative. Yeah... That's... That's not how that works, guy.[DOUBLEPOST=1377544212,1377543977][/DOUBLEPOST]"Heal different!" his site announces, meanwhile, every product contains the disclaimer: "This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease."

BananaHands

BananaHands

Broccoli could help prevent arthritis
The sulfur-based compound [found in broccoli], they say, may be blocking enzymes that contribute to inflammation in cartilage, and the scientists are starting a trial to see if broccoli can protect a small group of arthritis patients getting knee replacement surgery.
Good news for you old farts!

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Sweeeeet!! I love broccoli!

BananaHands

BananaHands

Sweeeeet!! I love broccoli!
And you're an old fart! Works perfectly!

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Brilliant!!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Isn't homeopathy another word for fake?

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Pretty much.

Cajungal

Cajungal

It's funny, people lump homeopathy in with any non-modern medicine now. I've heard the term used about herbs, holistic or spiritual stuff, anything that's non-traditional.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

It's funny, people lump homeopathy in with any non-modern medicine now. I've heard the term used about herbs, holistic or spiritual stuff, anything that's non-traditional.
Yes, true homeopathy is at best nothing more than placebo, and at worst poison. Sadly, it's still widely used in India. I was offered all kinds of odd little sugars spheres for a stomach ache when I was there. I humbly accepted them and then dumped them down the drain and took my cipro like a good boy.

Herbal =/= homeopathy

but homeopathy can = herbal (just highly diluted and ineffective).

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Water has memory! It's science, people! The only reason it doesn't work is because water also remembers all the poo that's been in it.

BananaHands

BananaHands

This isn't exactly surprising, but...
Proof That Fast Food Salads Are Anything But Healthy

The nutrition content of salads turn out to be approximately the same as their counterparts without the health halo. In fact, in terms of calories and fat content, salads rarely fare much better than the unhealthy sandwiches and burgers we associate with fast food restaurants.
So hey, get those ten chicken nuggets instead of the grilled chicken salad at BK.

figmentPez

figmentPez

This isn't exactly surprising, but...
Proof That Fast Food Salads Are Anything But Healthy

So hey, get those ten chicken nuggets instead of the grilled chicken salad at BK.
ARGH! This is one of my pet peeves! They compare calories and fat and declare that the nutrition content is the same? No comparison of fiber, vitamins, minerals, sodium, sugar, etc. There is a lot more to nutrition than fat and calories.

Also, no consideration for if you actually use the entire packet of dressing, because some people eat a dressing soup, but I don't.

This article is nothing but FUD.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Regular Marijuana Use on the Rise
In 2012, about 7.3% of Americans ages 12 or older reported regularly using marijuana. That's up from 7% of Americans in 2011. Although it's only a slight increase, the real contrast exists between 2012 and 2007, when 5.8% of Americans said they regularly used weed.
Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

More Deaths, Illnesses Linked to Energy Drinks
The new reports follow this week's revelation of FDA reports linking 92 illnesses and 13 deaths to 5-Hour Energy shots. The FDA previously said it was investigating the deaths linked to Monster Energy.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

If you ingest 'em against the recommended daily amounts, then YES! You are going to suffer ill effects. It's not fucking rocket surgery!

Christ, let the fucking mundanes die... then maybe they'll stop leeching my suppllies of the stuff.

I drink, at my WORST (best?), 2 of the tall twist-top Monsters (24 oz?), mixed with 2 5-hour Energies, with PLENTY of water to flush the kidneys (at least 1 gallon) over the course of an 8-hour shift.

That's a lot, I know, but I'm not shotgunning, them, for fuck's sake...

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

DDP Yoga Black Friday Sale

Click on the link at the very least to see Diamond Dallas Page's insane video promo. That man is certifiably nuts, I swear. :D But $69.99 for the combo pack? I'm tempted, at the very least to finally alleviate my guilt of pirating them.

http://www.ddpyoga.com/blackfriday.html

BananaHands

BananaHands

I don't know if anyone has ever done the 'blood type' diet - but there's a study claiming it's a bunch of malarkey.
No Proof That 'Blood-Type' Diets Work: Study

I mean, I've never done it but I've heard some people talking about it?

Oh and...

The Health Hazards of Sitting.

strawman

strawman

I'm not entering this bacon and cheese quarter pounder meal into myfitnesspal. Granted, I had a thousand calories left for today after lunch, but I'm guessing this is more than that...

BananaHands

BananaHands

I'm not entering this bacon and cheese quarter pounder meal into myfitnesspal. Granted, I had a thousand calories left for today after lunch, but I'm guessing this is more than that...
I like myfitnesspal, but I've been trying to cook more homemade meals and it's such a pain to add them.

strawman

strawman

Yeah, I had a salad for lunch and I would have had to measure and enter 5 separate ingredients. It's worse with homemade lasagnas and other more complex dishes. The spreadsheet lover inside me wants it all entered properly so I have protein, vitamin, etc information. But if I go too far it'll be too much trouble and I won't do it.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Yeah, I had a salad for lunch and I would have had to measure and enter 5 separate ingredients. It's worse with homemade lasagnas and other more complex dishes. The spreadsheet lover inside me wants it all entered properly so I have protein, vitamin, etc information. But if I go too far it'll be too much trouble and I won't do it.
Wait, do you have your own spreadsheet or just myfitnesspal's?

strawman

strawman

No, I don't use a spreadsheet for my food, myfitnesspal takes care of it enough for my needs. It, in fact, scratches that itch for me perfectly so I'm not tempted to do the spreadsheet thing...

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

OOhh, RunKeeper sounds like it's right up my alley!

BananaHands

BananaHands

OOhh, RunKeeper sounds like it's right up my alley!
I used it for a bit, but I think I like Nike+ better?

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I used it for a bit, but I think I like Nike+ better?
Is that also a free app?

What, so I'm cheap...

BananaHands

BananaHands

Is that also a free app?

What, so I'm cheap...
It's free! I think...

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

It's free! I think...
:D Yay!

I'll be sure to check it out. Thanks!

BananaHands

BananaHands

BananaHands

BananaHands

Dave

Dave

I have nuts!

Fun Size

Fun Size

We know. They're dropping past your cargo shorts. Seriously, would it kill you to wear long pants?

BananaHands

BananaHands

Tyson Chicken Nuggets Recalled
Tyson Foods has voluntarily recalled more than 75,000 pounds of chicken nuggets sold at Sam’s Clubs nationwide because the nuggets may contain pieces of plastic, the company says.
Figured this would be a good one for you parents on the forum.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Something to keep an eye on if you are struggling with depression. Neuroscience News:

A new study by researchers at University of Maryland School of Medicine has identified promising compounds that could successfully treat depression in less than 24 hours while minimizing side effects. Although they have not yet been tested in people, the compounds could offer significant advantages over current antidepressant medications.

PatrThom

PatrThom

FDA bans antibacterial soaps
One year from now, they all either have to be reformulated or discontinued.
This actually makes me happy.

Healthcare-level cleansers and Alcohol-based sanitizers are not affected.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

We actually need more bacteria and dirt in our lives. We're having issues keeping healthy because we're no longer building up tolerances to common crap.

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

Didn't Chaz mention there was always at least 2lbs of bacteria on you at any given moment? I just imagine it as a bacterial shield now.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Didn't Chaz mention there was always at least 2lbs of bacteria on you at any given moment? I just imagine it as a bacterial shield now.
It's estimated as high as 3.

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

Afternoon naps could improve thinking and memory skills

I've been telling people this for YEARS!!!

--Patrick

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

We actually need more bacteria and dirt in our lives. We're having issues keeping healthy because we're no longer building up tolerances to common crap.
I've always wondered if my mother's freakishly over-clean house and her obsessive cleaning tendencies are why immune system is so screwed up.

Eriol

Eriol

Nice announcement today that Dentists will either love or hate: No more fillings: Drug given to treat Alzheimer’s patients also helps repair cavities, regrow teeth

This is awesome. I hope we see this soon.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Science has been teasing stuff like this for ages (Electric ion repair of teeth, stem cells, etc), my goal is to keep my teeth in good enough shape that I'll still have enough left to repair so I can make a full recovery.

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

Nice announcement today that Dentists will either love or hate: No more fillings: Drug given to treat Alzheimer’s patients also helps repair cavities, regrow teeth

This is awesome. I hope we see this soon.
@Terrik will be out of a job before he even finishes school!

Terrik

Terrik

Noooooooo I need your decay to live!

PatrThom

PatrThom

Noooooooo I need your decay to live!
Maybe you just need to learn how to write marijuana prescriptions.

--Patrick

Eriol

Eriol

Interesting condition I'd never heard of: Little-known disorder looks just like dementia -- but can be reversed

It's called Normal-pressure hydrocephalus (NPH) and is reversible in 99% of cases. Probably subject to being caught early enough.

What they're NOT touching on in the article is how many people diagnosed with dementia and/or Alzheimer's actually have this? That's potentially terrifying.

Dave

Dave

Not sure whether I'm happy or not that my mom shows none of the symptoms of this disease. Happy that she hasn't been living in hell for no reason, but unhappy because she's still living in hell.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Well, I legitimately wondered when this was going to happen after hearing about the successes of the research they mention a couple years ago. I thought, "Well, someone could set themselves up as a supplier, assuming they could get enough supply and had sufficiently few qualms." And now someone has.

This Anti-Aging Start-Up Is Charging Thousands of Dollars for Teen Blood

Who knew this would be foreshadowed all the way back in 2000?

At the time, I remember thinking, "Hmm, I suppose it could theoretically work, but nobody is ever going to find out because that would never make it past any ethics committee."

--Patrick

Eriol

Eriol

Interesting article: The Myth of Drug Expiration Dates
An official with the Department of Defense, which maintains about $13.6 billion worth of drugs in its stockpile, says that in 2016 it cost $3.1 million to run the extension program, but it saved the department from replacing $2.1 billion in expired drugs. To put the magnitude of that return on investment into everyday terms: It’s like spending a dollar to save $677.

“We didn’t have any idea that some of the products would be so damn stable — so robustly stable beyond the shelf life,” says Ajaz Hussain, one of the scientists who formerly helped oversee the extension program.
This isn't super-surprising to me that things are stable far longer than their "shelf life" says, but I found it interesting that the government and military already had a program to cut costs like this.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Interesting study: Associations of fats and carbohydrate intake with cardiovascular disease and mortality in 18 countries from five continents (PURE): a prospective cohort study
High carbohydrate intake was associated with higher risk of total mortality, whereas total fat and individual types of fat were related to lower total mortality. Total fat and types of fat were not associated with cardiovascular disease, myocardial infarction, or cardiovascular disease mortality, whereas saturated fat had an inverse association with stroke. Global dietary guidelines should be reconsidered in light of these findings.
Here's the sci-hub, in case you want to read the full thing: Full article

Figure 1 (see below) is the best TL;DR;. p values look good, but I'm hardly well-versed at spotting bad science that's not in my area. I see mixed public/private funding (including "Big Pharma" names), FWIW.

fig1.PNG

Dave

Dave

ELI5.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Cohort was 35-70, so these findings don't apply to you.

I like how this is can be taken as me calling you a 5-year-old, or Methuselah.

Dave

Dave

:stfu:

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

This is association data which is a labeled as Epidemiology. It is work by statisticians. Simple Meaning: people fill out questionaires (self-reporting) information (socioeconomic stuff and food they eat) and then the researchers waited to see which ones had heart attacks, then some computer jocks crunch numbers to find a correlation/association b/t the questionaire and the heart attack.

The biggest problem with this kind of work is the 'ol correlation =/= causation. It fairly well-established that too much sugar is bad for you. Also, there is a link b/t heart failure and type 2 diabetes already. However, it's sort of a chicken and the egg thing. This study stated that the participants self-reported their diabetes status. It's sort of like saying more people with gray hair have dementia. So there is an association with gray hair and dementia. Does that mean gray hair causes dementia? That's the same here. I'm not saying they are wrong. It's a massive study, it's published in The Lancet (which is highly respected), and there is data showing that controlling your carbs can reduces risk for T2D which in turn MIGHT reduce your risk for heart disease. I am saying it's more complicated than high carbs = heart failure. And, that's what will get spewed across news sites.

Here is their conclusion:
In conclusion, we found that a high carbohydrate intake was associated with an adverse impact on total mortality, whereas fats including saturated and unsaturated fatty acids were associated with lower risk of total mortality and stroke. We did not observe any detrimental effect of fat intakes on cardiovascular disease events.

Here are some interesting notes in there conclusion as well:
Measurement error in reporting might lead to random errors that could dilute real associations between nutrients and clinical events.

...we were unable to measure trans-fat intake which might affect our results...

We were unable to quantify separately the types of carbohydrate (refined vs whole grains) consumed. However, carbohydrate consumption in low-income and middle-income countries is mainly from refined sources.

See this article for more info about diabetes and heart disease: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4107260/

There is definitely a link b/t diet and health status. However, diet alone is not the only risk factor. Genetic risk for disease and environmental factors also play a large role.

I think @Denbrought brought up a salient point. Big pharma funded this study (in part anyway). Are they developing some carbohydrate metabolism blocking drug? And, will they claim that it will prevent heart disease? Time will tell.

Bubble181

Bubble181

... Epidemiology.....socioeconomic ... correlation/association b/t the questionaire and the heart attack.

... a chicken and the egg thing. This study stated that the participants self-reported... dementia... carbohydrate intake was associated with an adverse impact on total mortality, whereas fats including saturated and unsaturated fatty acids were associated with lower risk of total mortality and stroke. We did not observe any detrimental effect of fat intakes on cardiovascular disease events.
... quantify separately the types of carbohydrate... carbohydrate consumption in low-income and middle-income countries is mainly from refined sources.
Man, you know some 5-year-olds with a big vocabulary :p

PatrThom

PatrThom

You know, I never thought about this seriously before, just as idle musings.
Who knew someone would run so far with it?

--Patrick

strawman

strawman

Certainly interesting, but it does make the argument that we should be living as our ancestors did. Similar to some fad diets, I'm not sure that's a perfectly solid foundation, but it's a good place to start and consider things.

Sara_2814

Sara_2814

I went to her Nutritious Movement website, and there’s just something about it that sets off the bullshit detector. There aren’t any exercises on the site (that I could find), but she has a lot of books/DVDs/seminars to sell you to tell you about them! And her About page is like a textbook definition of “privilege”. Not only being able to afford to refurnish her house, being able to “break up her work day” with chores around the house and walking around outside, and sending her children to a “nature school”, but also some ageism and ableism thrown in to boot (Like her suggestion is to keep some folding chairs around for elderly and disabled guests. Yeah, my grandmas would have loooooooved sitting on a folding chair for a week. :rolleyes: )

Also, while watching that video, all I could think of was all the sedentary people who sat at desks and worked on assembly lines to invent/create the audio equipment, computers, programming languages, software, communications infrastructure, and internet that allowed her to create her YouTube video criticizing desk sitting and assembly line work. :facepalm:

To me, it looks like the big secret (without all the privileged “hunter-gatherer lifestyle” bullshit) is “do some stretching/yoga every day”. Which any physical therapist would tell you. And can be done in modified forms at your desk/workstation. And there’s tons of free resources to get you started. (There, I saved you $19.95.)

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

To me, it looks like the big secret (without all the privileged “hunter-gatherer lifestyle” bullshit) is “do some stretching/yoga every day”. Which any physical therapist would tell you. And can be done in modified forms at your desk/workstation. And there’s tons of free resources to get you started. (There, I saved you $19.95.)
Nothing she's selling is a big secret. It's been known for years (meaning "scientifically" known, backed up by studies) that a sedentary lifestyle that includes long periods of sitting does a number on your metabolism, glucose, insulin, etc. If her message is "hey slob! Stop sitting around all the time," the health industry has been telling us that for a long time :)

PatrThom

PatrThom

For the record, I am not advocating purchasing her materials.
The video, however, presents an alternative way of looking at movement as more than merely exercise, which is a concept I think needs to be more widely adopted.
...the same way I think "be a good person" applies 24hrs/day, and not just while on the clock/during church/during an interview, etc.

--Patrick

Eriol

Eriol

Here's the headline: Fecal transplants in a capsule may be as effective as those delivered by colonoscopy: study

Published in JAMA as well, so not snake oil. Good to get a less-invasive but still effective treatment for C. Diff.

So that's great, but that's not why I posted this: PUN time! "Poop Pills" are already in many headlines about this, so that's taken, but I'm sure the good people here can come up with a whole PLETHORA of other names that we'll all enjoy about this news. Extra points for alliteration.

Go at it people!

PatrThom

PatrThom

Here's the headline: Fecal transplants in a capsule may be as effective as those delivered by colonoscopy: study I'm sure the good people here can come up with a whole PLETHORA of other names that we'll all enjoy about this news. Extra points for alliteration.
Go at it people!
Tiny time turds?

I mean, I could do more, but I’m at work right now.

—Patrick

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Down to 201. Super close to my goal for this year.
I've made quite a few changes. I eat an egg + fruit for breakfast. I am eating mostly vegetarian for lunch, usually a salad. Dinner is meat and 2 veg. My breakfast and lunch are nearly salt-free. I am working out ~3x a week and have been walking more. BP is getting a little lower, but still not great.

PatrThom

PatrThom

People are always saying, "You need to exercise and eat better."
Turns out they may be one and the same.
Scientists found that after exercising for several weeks, formerly sedentary study participants were more likely to choose foods like lean meats, fruits and vegetables, while preferences for fried foods, sodas and other unhealthy options decreased. Participants were instructed not to change their diets in any significant way, but it happened anyway.
--Patrick

LordRendar

LordRendar

Been hitting the gym 3x a week for 2 1/2 months now. Mainly weightlifting. I have not felt this good in my body since my college days.

evilmike

evilmike

It turns out the longest day of the year is in December.
IMG_20201212_091642245.jpg

178km -- it was a little too far and a bit to late (9:30pm!) to pick up the double metric century. Maybe next time!

evilmike

evilmike

Schedule and weather have limited my chances to get rides in so far this year. I finally got in a ride above 50 miles for the year -- 58 miles (93 km). I had already settled in before realizing that I could have picked up the metric century. Maybe next time!

evilmike

evilmike

It's next time! 62 miles (100km)

evilmike

evilmike

73.9 miles / 118.9 km with approximately 5 miles / 8 km of that being light off-road.

PatrThom

PatrThom

The study, published in the journal Science, found four phases of metabolic life:
  1. - Birth to age one, when the metabolism shifts from being the same as the mother's to a lifetime high 50% above that of adults
  2. - A gentle slowdown until the age of 20, with no spike during all the changes of puberty
  3. - No change at all between the ages of 20 and 60
  4. - A permanent decline, with yearly falls that, by 90, leave metabolism 26% lower than in mid-life
Aside from how this discovery will no doubt affect ideas about fitness and exercise, I guess now we know why old people are always cranking up the thermostat and moving to Florida.

--Patrick

jwhouk

jwhouk

Aside from how this discovery will no doubt affect ideas about fitness and exercise, I guess now we know why old people are always cranking up the thermostat and moving to Arizona.

--Patrick
FTFY.

evilmike

evilmike

I had a relatively easy 52 miles (83km) ride on Sunday.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I know this is just BC, but maybe it will spread?

--Patrick

Far

Far

Good luck finding a family doctor here.

PatrThom

PatrThom

WHAT
THE ABSOLUTE
FUCK

Images in the paper that were supposed to show the relationship between memory issues and the presence of Aβ*56 appeared to have been altered. Some of them appeared to have been pieced together from multiple images[, and s]ome look like “shockingly blatant” examples of image tampering, says Donna Wilcock, an Alzheimer’s expert at the University of Kentucky. After reviewing the images, molecular biologist Elisabeth Bik said of the paper, “The obtained experimental results might not have been the desired results, and that data might have been changed to … better fit a hypothesis.”
This is THE paper that links amyloid plaques to Alzheimer's. The one that has been used as the basis for countless millions (billions?/!) of monies spent on research, even as the basis for definitively diagnosing the presence of the disease in a patient, and all this time it has apparently been a fraud? This would be like finding out the wind turbine people actually have been faking climate change, or that exercise has no real health benefits.

--Patrick

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

To say the least, I’ve had a bad week. Seems Monday morning I had a bad hart/stroke type event that took all my balance and equilibrium. I went to er in town yesterday I’m now 90 miles north in a different city. I’m feeling better, and accidentally did many of the right things to help with initial treatment of what happened.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

To say the least, I’ve had a bad week. Seems Monday morning I had a bad hart/stroke type event that took all my balance and equilibrium. I went to er in town yesterday I’m now 90 miles north in a different city. I’m feeling better, and accidentally did many of the right things to help with initial treatment of what happened.
Damn dude. Hope you get the treatment you need. Hope you have a solid recovery.

PatrThom

PatrThom

accidentally did many of the right things to help with initial treatment of what happened.
...yay?

--Patrick

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Yeah, yeah, mostly due to stubbornness Drs still not exactly sure what set it off, looks like I possibly have a couple of weeks of rehab coming up. I’m currently in hospital in Tyler probably going home Monday to start rehab. Had angiogram today that showed everything seems to be progressing well. This has been like a week long dizzy hangover from riding the teacups too long.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Got to come home today. Feels good to be out of the hospital.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Been home since Saturday, this is the first time I've tried typing on my keyboard. It's a mixed bag so far, I'm doing better with my balance while walking, still don't have some of the finier motor control worked out yet. It's a strange thing to have to re-teach yourself to do things you've done easily for decades.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

6 months ago, my doc prescribed me glipizide for my diabetes. It helps by stimulating the pancreas to produce more insulin, which helps pack sugar into your fat cells, like it's supposed to. One of the side effects: weight gain (which, reading what it does, i guess it's not surprising). I gained 20 lbs in 6 months.

So she took me off of it last visit 2 weeks ago, and put me on Mounjaro...one of those injectables like Ozympic and Wegovy that are supposed to help with weight loss. It's the "newer, better" version of this kind of med.

1684507875227.png

I didn't hold out much hope, though the clinical numbers above were pretty dramatic.

I've lost 7 lbs in 2 weeks.

PatrThom

PatrThom

For the first time, researchers have found that Alzheimer’s symptoms can be transferred to a healthy young organism via the gut microbiota, confirming its role in the disease.
Absolutely MASSIVE if true.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Absolutely MASSIVE if true.

--Patrick
Scientist 1: Have you found a cure for Alzheimer's yet?

Scientist 2: No but I found a way to give it to others

Scientist 1: That's not... That's the opposite of... Did you forget what the goal was? Wait, are you testing on yourself?

Scientist 2: ... Who are you?