Export thread

Hasbro Producing Biggest, Most Expensive Transformer Ever

Zappit

Zappit

And, of course, it’s Unicron.

Also, my God...Somebody talk me down!

Cog

Cog

It transforms into a planet. That sounds boring.

Zappit

Zappit

But the planet’s mouth moves! It chomps down!

PatrThom

PatrThom

I hear tell @Frank might be interested.

—Patrick

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

It transforms into a planet. That sounds boring.
Never seem the 80s Transformers animated movie, huh?

I'm in the same boat as Zappit. I'm severely tempted. Especially because I grew up on that movie.

Cog

Cog

Of course I saw that movie. Nostalgia isn't something that normally affects me. But I do own an Insecticon and I play with it sometimes.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Oh God it's $600. That's too damn much for me to justify.

I need to keep telling myself that, over and over.

Anyone want to go in splitsies and have a timeshare joint ownership?

Zappit

Zappit

That $600 price tag is just...I mean, that’s what I paid for my Masterpiece Devastator (Toyworld Constructor, FYI) but I didn’t pay it all at once.

What makes it all the more difficult is that, well, this is pretty much it for Unicron. They’ll never try to top it. It IS the top for this character. This will be the only fun they ever do, too.

Two months to decide...

PatrThom

PatrThom

Oh God it's $600. That's too damn much for me to justify.

I need to keep telling myself that, over and over.

Anyone want to go in splitsies and have a timeshare joint ownership?
hmfjtp.jpg

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

Holy I owned that book.

I won't be owning Unicron. I mentioned in the Random Crap thread exactly why.

drifter

drifter

I'm all for nostalgia but fuuuuck that price tag.

Tho if any of you guys get it can I come over for a play date?

Celt Z

Celt Z

Guys, I have a weakness for both toys and nostalgia, but I think this might be a bit too much.

Now, if it also SOUNDS like Orson Wells, then...

figmentPez

figmentPez

Oooh, CeltZ has a weakness for toys. :unibrow:

...I'll show myself out.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Holy I owned that book.
I probably have it, too...somewhere.
Now, if it also SOUNDS like Orson Wells, then...
Is it OK if it just sounds like Maurice LaMarche?

--Patrick

grub

grub

While I would love for that to be my 77th Transformer, 8 cannot pay almost $800 CAD for a toy. I was lucky to convince my wife to let me preorder the transformers Ghostbusters crossover earlier this year.

E5017.jpg

Frank

Frank

Ectotron?

Blech, fucking awful name.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Personally not that interested, but I don't think the price tag is that ridiculous. Some of the Lego star wars items are more expensive.

mikerc

mikerc

Personally not that interested, but I don't think the price tag is that ridiculous. Some of the Lego star wars items are more expensive.
Yeah, for a toy that price is ridiculous. For a high-end piece marketed at adult collectors with plenty of disposable income? Not so much.

Although it's a good job you're not that interested since Hasbro Pulse only ships to the US & Canada so us Europeans can't buy it anyway. Makes it a lot easier to tell yourself you don't need something that you can't get anyway :p.

General Specific

General Specific

I fall into the "I really want that, but it is way too expensive for me to actually get it" crowd. :(

jwhouk

jwhouk

For that money, I could buy the LEGO Saturn V Rocket, the LEGO Apollo Lunar Lander (LEM), The LEGO Shuttle Transporter, and still have enough money left over for groceries.

Frank

Frank

Yeah, but none of those are a 19 pound, over two feet tall, movie accurate transforming Unicron are they?

Check.

Mate.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Once @Dave gets his bed refund he can buy them for us, unless he's selfish and doesn't think we're worth him sleeping on the floor.

Dave

Dave

I could buy 4!

Zappit

Zappit

Oh, they’re not even playing fair. Now they’re doing the Rainmakers...

PatrThom

PatrThom

I could buy 4!
Or you can stack up a bunch of regular mattresses.
You could even hide a pee under them and see if your wife notices.

—Patrick

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

WELL*CLAP* I am going to repeat to myself that I am saving up for an apartment for...46 days...dear god I want that toy.

evilmike

evilmike

For that money, I could buy the LEGO Saturn V Rocket, the LEGO Apollo Lunar Lander (LEM), The LEGO Shuttle Transporter, and still have enough money left over for groceries.
FWIW, I think you've got the better haul.

Zappit

Zappit

Update on the design presented at SDCC.

They’ve also revealed a TON of new figures, too, and this pretty much sealed it for me. I’d rather get those smaller figures than this big one. Apparently, they also revealed that Unicron will be available in Japan as a TakaraTomy Mall exclusive. It...might be more readily available than previously expected.

So that $600 is safe, though part of it is going to purchase A LOT of other figures. :D Seriously, they’re actually doing the Rainmakers! I’ve wanted that since I was six!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Update on the design presented at SDCC.

They’ve also revealed a TON of new figures, too, and this pretty much sealed it for me. I’d rather get those smaller figures than this big one. Apparently, they also revealed that Unicron will be available in Japan as a TakaraTomy Mall exclusive. It...might be more readily available than previously expected.

So that $600 is safe, though part of it is going to purchase A LOT of other figures. :D Seriously, they’re actually doing the Rainmakers! I’ve wanted that since I was six!
Are they just the Rainmakers but in Earth-Seeker form, or Rainmakers in Cybertronian form? Because an obscure toy company called "Impossible Toys" did that and I'd like another chance to get a bad ass proto-former Cybertronian jet...let it...slip by me once before...many stellarcycles ago.

Zappit

Zappit

The Siege line TFs are ALL Cybertronian forms. The Seekers are all Tetra-Jets, but not quite completely screen accurate. They are great, though. This is the first time they’ve ever made the Rainmakers, an they even made Red Wing, which just came out of left field. Hell, they made Reflector, who really never had a proper toy release.

Basically, the last couple lines, Titans Return and Power of the Primes, weren’t that great. I almost quit collecting the official stuff during Titans Return. Siege has been a COMPLETE turnaround for the main line, and I haven’t been disappointed by a single figure yet. It’s been a friggin’ Renaissance.

Also, the Impossible Toys Tetra-Jets were hot, steaming turds. They were just...not good, by almost every review.

You want Cybertronian Seekers, THIS is the time to get them. Starscream, Thundercracker, and Skywarp are all available on Amazon. (Skywarp is part of an exclusive set.) The Rainmakers technically come out this fall as a Target exclusive, though some are finding their way onto the shelves early. Red Wing is another Target exclusive, and, unfortunately, it’s a Red Card exclusive. I got lucky. They put it online without that restriction for about a day, but honored all the orders anyway.

evilmike

evilmike

Zappit

Zappit

The deadline has been extended until October 6th. I...I think I’m going to get this. I was going to break and order it today, but now that I have a little more time to save up enough?

drifter

drifter

I saw a video of someone demonstrating how it transforms. Cool as it is conceptually, it didn't look like fun at all. A non-transforming model would probably look better and be more fun to pose.

Zappit

Zappit

At nineteen pounds, transforming it will be a bitch. I suspect most collectors who get it will pick one more and keep it that way.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I saw a video of someone demonstrating how it transforms. Cool as it is conceptually, it didn't look like fun at all. A non-transforming model would probably look better and be more fun to pose.
But if they made a non-transforming model, you know you'd be saying to yourself "Man, I know it would be impractical, but wouldn't it be cool if it could transform?"

Zappit

Zappit

And we have a new contender - a third party company called Zeta is producing an 18” Unicron. Scroll down a bit for the renders.

It looks better in robot mode, but I still think I like the Hasbro one more.

https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/zeta-toys-unicron-zv-02-core-star.1178221/page-52

Frank

Frank

Is it going to cost 700 dollars?

Zappit

Zappit

Is it going to cost 700 dollars?
Zeta is actually one of the more affordable 3rd party producers. They released a Superion that was about $60 per limb. (It’s Masterpiece scale, absolutely rock solid stable in combined mode, and looks terrific.) My best guess? It will probably be around half the price of the Hasbro version.

Bubble181

Bubble181

It's a transformer. If it doesn't transform, it's....well, not a transformer.

mikerc

mikerc

It's a transformer. If it doesn't transform, it's....well, not a transformer.
Where were you when we needed you & Hasbro was making Action Masters?

Zappit

Zappit

And it is funded. It reached 8,500 pledges yesterday in a huge wave of purchases. I, however, was not one of them, nor will I be. I’m proud of myself for that. I wanted this figure very much, but there are a few little things that bugged me, and at nineteen pounds, I think the limbs will loosen and degrade due to the weight. Besides, there are just too many other TFs on my To-Get list.

Zappit

Zappit

Fans Toys, one of the top 3rd party Transformer companies, has apparently decided to lose their goddamned minds and will be producing a 4 FOOT TALL Fortress Maximus.

Ho Lee Shiz.

The thing is...they can probably pull it off. Their stuff is top quality, and they spend a lot of time in development getting things damn near perfect.

drifter

drifter

That'd make for a sick lawn ornament.

Emrys

Emrys

Or a little brother.

PatrThom

PatrThom

You could hollow that thing out and use it as a Hallowe'en costume.

--Patrick

chris

chris

Man that War for Cybertron Trilogy toyline is pure G1 goodness. A store has 20% off of toys this week and I got this guy for just 21 €.
IMG_20191029_004020853.jpg

Zappit

Zappit

Man that War for Cybertron Trilogy toyline is pure G1 goodness. A store has 20% off of toys this week and I got this guy for just 21 €.
View attachment 32373
There are seven different paint jobs for that mold and I had no choice but to get all of them.