Harry Potter 7 part 2 with spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wand stuff happened in the book like that. If I remember right, effectively, a wand's allegiance changes when its master is defeated, disarmed, or killed by someone else. Wand lore is hinted at being very complicated, but it worked for me. It was a small detail that, when reading HBP, I didn't even think about.

I've seen it twice and love it. We will be seeing it again this week and likely next weekend.

Well wand lore was said to be very complicated but the Elder wand was said to be pretty unique amongst the wands. In that it's loyalty always went to the victor.

I just watched it last night. Still not a huge fan of the V and Harry fight but it wasn't what I feared it was. The movie was amazingly done, well acted, great direction and stunning camera work but these movies never really feel complete to me. They try and they come close to making the books come to life but to me the movies are never able to tell a complete narrative and I'm always having to fill in parts with my knowledge of the books.

Some things kind of did annoy me about the movie. Like how they cut out the teachers saying that the students could go to safety or stay in the castle to fight for Hogwarts. The fact that they cut out that conversation made me laugh at Harry having to shove through this huge crowd that seemed to move with him. Then there was the room of requirement. In the book the room that was opened was a place for students that had to hide something, a piece of contraband candies, love letters from their secret girlfriend, soiled sheets and so on. But in the movie the place was filled with furniture, lamps, tables, dressers. I just couldn't stop wondering how often the students needed to get rid of a bulky pieces of furniture.

Neville's scene in the book was my all time favourite of the whole series. When he breaks free of the curse and kills the snake, I kept picturing it like this in my head:

He stumbles ahead of the rest of his fellow warriors, dazed, confuzed. They look at him as if he's giving up. Then he looks back, smiles and quietly whispers "For Dobby" before charging in, Griffindor sword held high. :D
You watch too much Lord of the Rings.

Neville didn't even know Dobby was dead.

He stumbles ahead of the rest of his fellow warriors, dazed, confuzed. They look at him as if he's giving up. Then he looks back, smiles and quietly whispers "For Dobby" before charging in, Griffindor sword held high. :D
I hate the prevalence of this crap in fantasy movies. A full-frontal charge is a terrible battle strategy, and it's not even that cinematic or visually rousing (wee! everyone's running at each other and then they CRASH!). The best part of the battle at the end of the first Narnia movie was when the Aslan army was routed into the canyon, where they couldn't all just charge at each other and things got interesting.

Well in LotR it's justifiable because they just wanted to draw attention to themselves...
In that scene. And to LOTR's credit, the ones responsible for a full-frontal charge were often the losers of that particular battle when someone's flanking company showed up (Note: LOTR SPOILERS) (Helm's Deep, orcs lose to Gandalf's flanking strike; Pelennor, first set of orcs lose to Rohan's flanking charge, and then when Rohan shifts fronts to charge the Easterlings--which was impressive in how quickly they reformed rank--they were losing until Aragorn pulled a rear-assault with the mountain ghosts).

Almost as if the guy that wrote it was in a war once... one where frontal assaults where more suicidal then before even.

Honestly, I didn't note the actual battle formations when reading the book.

And even then, more often than not you'd expect a movie to screw that kind of detail up completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.