Happy Thanksgiving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Thanksgiving to all the Americans out there, and belated Happy Thanksgiving to the Canadians we forgot about a few days back when it was their time.

S

SeraRelm

While I do enjoy the idea of a day set aside to focus on appreciation for what we do have instead of bemoaning what we don't, I kind of wonder, for the less religious of us, to whom we're giving thanks. Regardless of that, I hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving day and doesn't get too stuffed on the food.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. For all that participate I hope that you have a day full of friends, family, food and Thanksgiving for everything you are able to enjoy and share.

While I do enjoy the idea of a day set aside to focus on appreciation for what we do have instead of bemoaning what we don't, I kind of wonder, for the less religious of us, to whom we're giving thanks. Regardless of that, I hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving day and doesn't get too stuffed on the food.
I didn't realize the day had any religious significance. I thought we're just appreciating our lives. We give thanks to each other for being there. I figured the religious angle was just tacked onto the other stuff. I wouldn't use today to be thankful to the gods anyway just for that reason--it has no religious significance as far as I can tell.

ElJuski

Staff member
Make it what you want, call it what you want, celebrate if you want. People have turned Thanksgiving into so much more than originally intended (or how it originally aired). I just consider it a time to kick back and go, "Well, this is nice." Particularly so this year since I'm spending it allllllllll awonnnnnne :( :( :( :( :(

Thanksgiving was a month ago, durrr durrr durrr durrr durrr!

I'm actually pretty jealous of Thanksgiving in the US right now. I think with it being as fucking cold as it's been, it would be nice to brine up a turkey, cover it in bacon and bake that fucker until everyone I know needs to be in my house eating it. It's my favorite holiday. I want a change for there to be one Thanksgiving a month. Everyone you know gets together once a month for feasting, friendship and family.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving all! I love being a Ritz(brown cracker) on this day! I get to gorge on the best food both cultures have to offer! :D

When I worked at the City of Kingston, I made all my co-workers honourary Americans and we would celebrate American Thanksgiving every year. What started with about 14 people rapidly grew to hosting over 65 by the time I left. I was definitely thankful to have such wonderful co-workers who were extremely inclusive of the crazy American in their midst.

What does brining a turkey mean?
Soaking it in a salt/sugar/spice water mixture for 12 hours or so before popping it in the oven. Makes it juicier and about a dozen times as delicious as it would be if you didn't. Don't leave it in too long though or it just makes the turkey salty and gross.
Added at: 16:48
When I worked at the City of Kingston, I made all my co-workers honourary Americans and we would celebrate American Thanksgiving every year. What started with about 14 people rapidly grew to hosting over 65 by the time I left. I was definitely thankful to have such wonderful co-workers who were extremely inclusive of the crazy American in their midst.
I approve of multiple Thanksgivings.

Then by the power vested in me by the doom weasels, I hereby declare you an honourary American. Now, go stuff yourself to the point of being comatose.

What does brining a turkey mean?
What Frankie said. Drowning the turkey in a salt/sugar solution forces the cells in the meat to plump up with extra fluid/salt/sugar due to osmosis. If you want a really crispy turkey, you spatchcock that sucker and then let it dry in the fridge for at least another 12 hours. Then you can quickly high-roast it for maximum speed and juiciness.

--Patrick

M

makare

Im kind of weird about turkey the only way i like it is pretty dry. I probably wouldn't dig the brining.

Whelp that's enough enjoying my post football/alcohol/food haze.

Time to stand outside like an idiot to hopefully get my hands on cheap product for the undeserving jerks in my life.

'Tis the season.

M

makare

Thanksgiving followed by gift giving. being thankful then being generous.

Thanksgiving at Bubba's Texas BBQ in Shanghai. Smoked turkey, mashed potatoes/gravy, stuffing, bean soup, pumpkin pie, cranberry, etc. and free flow wine. Made for a great nice since I havent celebrated in 3 years.

M

makare

If you are dedicated to being negative about the shopping/buying aspect of Christmas then there is nothing anyone can say.

Thanksgiving is just an excuse to eat a lot

ElJuski

Staff member
For the record, just the same way that you can have Thanksgiving without being rankled with the guilt of a genocidal devastation of a group of people, you can enjoy Christmas and not be a consumer pig. I try to ignore Black Friday as best as I can, and focus on, less than thirty days from now, the family is all going to be back together, crackin' wise and causing shenanigans and probably hunting down the mixed bloods, as is our yearly tradition.

Well you'll all be glad to know all I got after stranding outside for hours was a headache.

I only tolerate the day because I'm miserly as shit, and if I can't buy gifts for dirt cheap, nobody gets anything.

BAHUMBUG.

My wife went to Wal-Mart for Black Friday. I tried to warn her - despite her having worked at the mall here for a year (and thus, worked the Christmas season), she didn't realize.

She has learned, and has vowed never to attempt a Black Friday sale again.

For this, and my many other blessings, I am thankful.

Reactions: TNM
Status
Not open for further replies.