[Movies] Halloweenathon

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't look like it's here, but there are many versions of frankenstein out of copyright you can find here, including edisons 1910 silent film version:

http://archive.org/search.php?query=mediatype:"movies" AND (Frankenstein)[DOUBLEPOST=1351179974][/DOUBLEPOST]Or you could just replace it with another apparently good but not well known 1930's horror film:

http://archive.org/details/TheGhoul

Can't go wrong with Boris Karloff.
The plot of The Ghoul kind of reminds me of the plot to The Hound by Lovecraft. In that two guys take to grave robbing for the fun of it and morbid fascination. They grab some sort of artefact from a dead dude and are hunted by a horrible creature.

I think. It's been a long time since I read that one.

I decided on a Hellraiser marathon for Halloween. MAN, they do NOT make movies like the first Hellraiser anymore. It has elements of gore in it, but it's not what the plot revolves around and holy shit, I forgot how atmospheric it is.

I decided on a Hellraiser marathon for Halloween. MAN, they do NOT make movies like the first Hellraiser anymore. It has elements of gore in it, but it's not what the plot revolves around and holy shit, I forgot how atmospheric it is.
Its a thing of beauty isn't it? The wifes relationship to the brother, the Cinobytes, it all meshes together to make a brilliant movie!

Its a thing of beauty isn't it? The wifes relationship to the brother, the Cinobytes, it all meshes together to make a brilliant movie!
Cenobites...

We also watched that tonight, since playing the score (which is a fucking gorgeous score) caught my wife's interest. She's one of those people who says she likes scary movie when she really means she likes fun movies with horror elements... so naturally this one kind of freaked her out. I myself had forgotten how tense it became at times. The resurrection scene early in the film is an example of how gore can be beautiful rather than repulsive--it's a stunner. The whole concept is fantastic. It's sad how the ideas devolved into "demons and hells" in the sequels when the original was so focused on human desire and its fallibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.