Export thread

Halloween '14 pics!

Dei

Dei

Starting early but why not?! Here's my costume in progress, my daughter wants to be Anna and insisted I be Elsa.

image-1563781870.jpg

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

It's not early; it's already Halloween 11th.

Celt Z

Celt Z

This should kinda count as Halloween: as I mentioned in the other thread, my friend and I did the Diva Dash today as Calvin & Hobbes. We were going to get more elaborate, but in addition to needing to be able to scale the obstacles, it was also raining and 50°F. We just wanted to be warm enough!
2014-10-11 13.53.29.jpg

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I'm kind of behind on Halloween actually....oops. But here's progress so far I guess. :D

Decided on Hades for Halloween! Should be fun.

Spoilered because I post way to many pictures. :awesome:
Pattern:

Dress pretty much cut out:

HA, pretending to make a pattern for my top:

Cut out and pinned together:

MAH WIG! :D

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I'm going as Medusa this year. I just picked up some stuff to start putting the costume together. Except the important gown part which I should be able to do. Pics when I get it together.

Shannow

Shannow

What I have so far, more to be added. (Gloves, long cigarette filter for my smokes, etc.) Friend got his tactical vest and Crossbones luchradore mask, so he will be my henchman.

skull.jpg

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Putting this here since it's Halloween related:

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Change it to Three Musketeers and I agree with the sentiment.

Hylian

Hylian

This was me trying on my costume, although I may grab a few accessories for it. (and yes I know I need to align the bones better next time I put it on)

CameraZOOM-20141012175556169.jpg

rac3r_x

rac3r_x

Change it to Three Musketeers and I agree with the sentiment.

This is funny I'm actually handing out full size Snickers this year, just to see the look of shock on their faces.

fade

fade

You should give out one full size snickers for every 5 pieces of crappy candy. Then you can see the looks of both shock and betrayal.

Dei

Dei

Elsa selfie! (Wigs can suck it, I am terrible with them)

image-2183577480.jpg

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

This was me trying on my costume, although I may grab a few accessories for it. (and yes I know I need to align the bones better next time I put it on)

View attachment 16301
Manny, you should probably get dressed...

fade

fade

Working on some singing pumpkins that will be driven by Vixen. Here's the first part done.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Working on some singing pumpkins that will be driven by Vixen.
That's a neat idea! Post the finished product, por favor.

fade

fade

My kids did the faces on the little ones. I did the redneck voice for the vampire and my daughter cried. Oops. "He's supposed to be SCARY!"

PatrThom

PatrThom

Guy makes Downton Abbey costume.

"But which character?" I hear you ask.
No, not which character. The Abbey.

glamour_shot_outdoor.jpg

http://www.cockeyed.com/incredible/downton_abbey/downton_abbey_costume.html

--Patrick

Celt Z

Celt Z

I did the redneck voice for the vampire and my daughter cried. Oops.
This must give her nightmares:
unnamed.png

figmentPez

figmentPez

Guy makes Downton Abbey costume.

"But which character?" I hear you ask.
No, not which character. The Abbey.

http://www.cockeyed.com/incredible/downton_abbey/downton_abbey_costume.html

--Patrick
Good to see that Rob Cockerham is still updating. I used to visit Cockeyed.com regularly hoping for new updates.

BErt

I remain a terrible person.
Photo Oct 18, 7 29 22 PM.jpg

Celt Z

Celt Z

Now I'm just confused-I thought they were called weiner dogs.

BErt

Now I'm just confused-I thought they were called weiner dogs.
yeah, we've been there too
09-24-07_1941.jpg

I guess we can keep doing food...sushi next year?

figmentPez

figmentPez

Taco Dog is not a palindrome!

PatrThom

PatrThom

The postal service demanded hazard pay to deliver it
Gotta love those nonstandard size envelopes that push you to "extra ounce" postage even if it isn't.

--Patrick

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

I'm dressing as an Aquabat all week at work. I'm way more excited than I should be

fade

fade

Made this frame from wire hangers
image.jpg

Which when I drape it with something like this bathrobe
image.jpg

And then under light from inside will be neat.

evilmike

evilmike

Aside from a few parties I won't be able to do much for halloween this year since we're closing on the new place on the 30th.

:(
Maybe you'll luck out and the new neighborhood will have been buried over a native american graveyard, or over a network of tunnels that are infested with CHUDs, or your neighbor is a vampire which can only be defeated by a plucky gang of kids (which I seem to remember you have)...

Who needs Halloween when you can live it?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Who needs Halloween when you can live it?
Or when you can leave the house appropriately prepared.

--Patrick

fade

fade

I seriously had a dream last night that I showed up at a Halloween party dressed as Marty McFly in a McDonalds uniform. When people asked me what I was, I said, "a McDonalds shake".

Celt Z

Celt Z

McDonalds shake
:facepalm:

fade

fade

Hey I feel okay with it after he tried to float an entire show on Parkinson's jokes.

fade

fade

image.jpg
image.jpg
Got my singing pumpkins further along. Servos and pushrods made of wire hangers. Oh wire hangers, is there anything you can't do?

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Oh wire hangers, is there anything you can't do?
Noooooo moreeeeee WIRE HANGERSSSSSSS

drifter

drifter

Is that an ESP M-50 in the corner?

fade

fade

It is indeed.

Here's a video of them in action. Not properly synced yet.
[DOUBLEPOST=1414264897,1414264700][/DOUBLEPOST]Also that was a pretty impressive sight identification of my guitar.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Also that was a pretty impressive sight identification of my guitar.
We've already established that you have to be careful what you leave in your pictures around here.

--Patrick

drifter

drifter

I'll be honest, I had to look up the model number.

fade

fade

Now with EYES!

Shannow

Shannow

For the Austin folks...how is Sixth street for Halloween? I am hearing it is insane.

Dei

Dei

Daughter's costume in progress.

image-273092696.jpg

fade

fade

Oh wow these came out even better than my greatest hopes.

fade

fade

I made several other simple props. One of which @stienman helped me out with over at stack exchange. This mess is 8 pairs of lights designed to trigger in slow sequence and then fade out. Partly a turn signal circuit design and partly stuff I made up together myself. Part count got kind of high for something so simple but what can you do. There's a 555, a 741, an optocoupler (the fading needs higher V than the 555 can handle, and I couldn't put in another transistor without saturating the caps and losing the fade effect), a regulator, and a homemade IR proximity detector (which uses the 741 as a comparator--thanks Instructables). It's staying on a breadboard until after Halloween, because I want all those parts back.

Anyway, I'll be distributing them through bushes and ivy as eyes that light up when triggered.

On the plus side, between all these projects, I finally found a use for 150' of telephone wire I've been carting through 3 moves now...

IMG_2461.JPG
IMG_2462.JPG

PatrThom

PatrThom

150' of telephone wire I've been carting through 3 moves now...
REPRESENT!

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

I made several other simple props. One of which @stienman helped me out with over at stack exchange. This mess is 8 pairs of lights designed to trigger in slow sequence and then fade out. Partly a turn signal circuit design and partly stuff I made up together myself. Part count got kind of high for something so simple but what can you do. There's a 555, a 741, an optocoupler (the fading needs higher V than the 555 can handle, and I couldn't put in another transistor without saturating the caps and losing the fade effect), a regulator, and a homemade IR proximity detector (which uses the 741 as a comparator--thanks Instructables). It's staying on a breadboard until after Halloween, because I want all those parts back.

Anyway, I'll be distributing them through bushes and ivy as eyes that light up when triggered.

On the plus side, between all these projects, I finally found a use for 150' of telephone wire I've been carting through 3 moves now...

View attachment 16430 View attachment 16431
It sounds like you've done a great job with everything.

Do you have a schematic posted for your fader circuit?

Cajungal

Cajungal

Oh wow these came out even better than my greatest hopes.
Oh my God that is so great!!! :eek:

Dei

Dei

1/4 done with skirt painting.

image-213304554.jpg

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Hot damn @fade - Great work! Now, go make an Instructable post. :D

fade

fade

Hot damn @fade - Great work! Now, go make an Instructable post. :D
Thanks. I would, but singing pumpkins and singing Christmas trees are pretty common. The only thing I could contribute really is my springy opening/closing mechanism. I think it adds a little life to them, so that they're not clomping away like pac-man.[DOUBLEPOST=1414506938,1414506422][/DOUBLEPOST]
It sounds like you've done a great job with everything.

Do you have a schematic posted for your fader circuit?
Here's a really nasty version I threw together on Digi-key's Schemeit site: http://www.digikey.com/schemeit/#12fx

evilmike

evilmike

Here's a really nasty version I threw together on Digi-key's Schemeit site: http://www.digikey.com/schemeit/#12fx
Interesting design. It's a little unclear how the transistors are connected -- are they all in parallel or is this some sort of stair step connection?

fade

fade

They are connected to one another. It's how the cascade works. Vbe rises according to the RC timer. Each transistor incurs an additional 0.7V drop, so each transistor doesn't open until the base voltage rises above the Vce, which is successively larger for each transistor. Therefore, each lights in succession. The first to light is the lowest one on the staircase there.[DOUBLEPOST=1414509707,1414509344][/DOUBLEPOST]Right, and don't forget the V drops from the LEDs, too. That changes Vce.

fade

fade

Let me try that again. Imagine the rising V from the RC on Q8. When it hits 0.7V, Q8 opens, and the first LEDs come on. But the emitter of Q7 is also at 0.7V, so Q7 won't open until it the RC circuit reaches 1.4V, which puts the emitter of Q6 at 1.4V, so Q6 won't open until the RC hits 2.1V, etc, etc. Actually, this is only accurate for the Q8. After that, the emitter voltage contains some of Vce divided by any realistically non-zero resistance across all the b-e paths below the transistor of interest. So it means that you need more than 0.7*8 = 5.6V to open all 8 transistors.

Also, note there's no discharge path for the 940uf capacitance. I left it out because it makes the LEDs go out really slowly as the caps discharge whatever way they can. Probably not healthy for the circuit, but whatever. It's for a couple of hours one night.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Well take a look at the nerdsss!

PatrThom

PatrThom

Well take a look at the nerdsss!
...and their blinky light things.

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

image-3726928463.jpg

Dei

Dei

I should theoretically trim and re-hem my Elsa dress because it is way too long, but I don't know if I have the will in me to do so. Have to finish the cape part of my daughter's costume today because she will probably want it for trick or treating time, and I have to drum up the urge to carve pumpkins after spending the better part of the month making 2 costumes. If only my husband wasn't so blase about holidays, I could pawn off the pumpkin carving on him. But he did spend 3-4 hours helping me cut out the stencils for my daughter's costume so I can't get too mad.

fade

fade

I know that feel. I had like 5 other electronic props I wanted to make, and I had time last night. But I was like, nope. I spent dawn till dusk this weekend on those pumpkins. Ditto on the spouse, too. My wife's attitude is, "Meh, Halloween".

Shakey

Shakey

We tried to do pumpkins last night, but no one had any pumpkins left. So, I thought what the heck, let's try carving these little pie pumpkins. Not a good idea... They are hard as hell. We broke 4 carving knives trying to do it.

Dei

Dei

Every grocery store around has SO MANY PUMPKINS. I wish I had that excuse. ;)

Celt Z

Celt Z

I should theoretically trim and re-hem my Elsa dress because it is way too long, but I don't know if I have the will in me to do so. Have to finish the cape part of my daughter's costume today because she will probably want it for trick or treating time, and I have to drum up the urge to carve pumpkins after spending the better part of the month making 2 costumes. If only my husband wasn't so blase about holidays, I could pawn off the pumpkin carving on him. But he did spend 3-4 hours helping me cut out the stencils for my daughter's costume so I can't get too mad.
You're doing a great job! The costumes look wonderful! But I know what you mean about wishing you could share the workload. Mr. Z is always willing to help me put up decorations and happy to buy supplies, but asking him to make something (like pumpkin carving) is like saying, "Here, could you hack this to pieces? Thanks!". The man is handy, but has no artistic gene.

Dei

Dei

Fucked up cutting something. Fabric store no longer has same shade of my fleece color. Needed to rebuy all fleece to recut everything. /headdesk /headdesk.

figmentPez

figmentPez

A musician I follow on Facebook posted this photo. 1,000 king sized candy bars. Damn.
One Thousand King Sized Candy Bars.jpg

PatrThom

PatrThom

There'd better be some left come Friday!

--Patrick

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

My pumpkin this year!

Halloween 2014-1.JPG

Halloween 2014-2.JPG

Went out and got a green light for it and everything. Hope the kids dig it. Pikachu got a lot of attention last year.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

Here is my 6-year old son's "robot" design on the left and my wife and my design on the right.
20141029_193930.jpg

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

My pumpkin this year!

View attachment 16448
View attachment 16449

Went out and got a green light for it and everything. Hope the kids dig it. Pikachu got a lot of attention last year.
The parents are going to wonder why you carved a knobby penis with a face.

Dei

Dei

image-3371824688.jpg

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

GAH, adorable! :heart:

You did such a wonderful job!

David

David

*Looks at @Dei's photos* Well, ONE of us is going to have to change.

10708676_10152343066806825_7760449676682581110_o.jpg

Adam

Adam

Put it back! Put it back!

Dei

Dei

David said:
*Looks at @Dei's photos* Well, ONE of us is going to have to change.
That's Hawt.

fade

fade

Well. I feel like an idiot. I thought I fried my PIR, and I had given up on it. The active IR sensor I homemade only had a range of about 4-5 inches. The PIR will see down the driveway, so I really wanted it. Anyway, there was a forum on Parallax's website, and the engineers who actually work there are really responsive. We found my problem. Apparently the sensor revision I have goes haywire with a load on the output, unlike the newer ones. I did not know this, having only triggered microcontrollers with it before (a standalone AVR and an Arduino). Anyway, I'd thought of this already and had tried a 3904, but that didn't change a thing. Subbing in a MOSFET did, though. Now it works like a champ, and my parts count dropped tremendously. Here's a quick video of it now:

Celt Z

Celt Z

You two look great! I hope you got a full-body picture of both you so we can see the details on the dresses. (And post it!)

Decided to go simple with Li'l Z's costume this year and make sure he has one that didn't get him over-heated easily. Plus, it's also jammies he can wear later on.

Little Bruce Lee
tinydragon01.jpg tinydragon02.jpg

BErt

They say dress for the job you want and not the job you have, so I went to work like this today

Photo Oct 31, 9 36 19 AM.jpg

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

They say dress for the job you want and not the job you have, so I went to work like this today

View attachment 16464
Applying for the position of Pumpkin King?[DOUBLEPOST=1414772526,1414772496][/DOUBLEPOST]
You two look great! I hope you got a full-body picture of both you so we can see the details on the dresses. (And post it!)

Decided to go simple with Li'l Z's costume this year and make sure he has one that didn't get him over-heated easily. Plus, it's also jammies he can wear later on.

That is painfully adorable.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Y'all look great, @Dei!

evilmike

evilmike

How I imagine @WasabiPoptart 's holiday:

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Bad Cop and Fluttershy
IMG_0071.jpg

Fluttershy in more detail
IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

Good Cop/Bad Cop
IMG_0075.jpg
IMG_0077.jpg

Dei

Dei

Here's a couple more of my daughter.

image-3729337334.jpg

image-574112422.jpg

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

You did a great job on the costumes, @Dei!

evilmike

evilmike

Pumpkin carving at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory

fade

fade

Well. I feel like an idiot. I thought I fried my PIR, and I had given up on it. The active IR sensor I homemade only had a range of about 4-5 inches. The PIR will see down the driveway, so I really wanted it. Anyway, there was a forum on Parallax's website, and the engineers who actually work there are really responsive. We found my problem. Apparently the sensor revision I have goes haywire with a load on the output, unlike the newer ones. I did not know this, having only triggered microcontrollers with it before (a standalone AVR and an Arduino). Anyway, I'd thought of this already and had tried a 3904, but that didn't change a thing. Subbing in a MOSFET did, though. Now it works like a champ, and my parts count dropped tremendously. Here's a quick video of it now:

The best part about this project is that I used the super-bright LEDs, and a beefy power supply. So all the kids who make eye contact with the "monsters" get free LASIK.

Dei

Dei

Halloween pet peeve: Parents who sit in their car and creepily follow their trick or treating kids down the street. IT'S NOT EVEN THAT COLD! GTFO AND WALK WITH THEM!

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

image.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

The brood

Attachments

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

In my mind, this is not a costume. This is just how Bumble always looks.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

In my mind, this is not a costume. This is just how Bumble always looks.
I can't lie, since I've had the costume, I have worn it a lot. Like... Almost every night.
In bed.

...ladies

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Went to the Steamwhistle Brewery Halloween Bash last night. It was pretty great. I got mistaken for Zorro a lot. I learned this year that a shocking number of people have never seen the Princess Bride.

Also, my friends and I went bowling in costume the night before Halloween.

Attachments

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I hope no one turns to stone looking at me!!

IMG_0082.jpg
IMG_0083.jpg

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

How I imagine @WasabiPoptart 's holiday:
I was so surprised to see several homes around us with the carved pineapple!! Last year I think I saw one.

Shannow

Shannow

So many people stopped us for pictures down on 6th last night...

Emrys

Emrys

evilmike

evilmike

I was so surprised to see several homes around us with the carved pineapple!! Last year I think I saw one.
I guess I know what I need to try next year:
orange-o-lantern.jpg

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

My son was just asking about that this morning!!

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Today Lily's Girl Scout Troop is celebrating the founder's birthday with a witches & wizards party. She is, of course, Hermione.
IMG_0106.jpg

Mathias

Mathias

Gusto

Gusto

DINOSAURS!

figmentPez

figmentPez

Cosplaying Army of Two? ;)

David

David

Roommate and I being sexy Disney princesses

10736155_10205128572842764_1916599670_n.jpg
10751959_10205128572602758_451394418_n.jpg

PatrThom

PatrThom

I don't remember any Disney duck princesses.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I don't remember any Disney duck princesses.

--Patrick

Emrys

Emrys

When did Donald become a drag queen?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

fade

fade

I'm going to write up an Instructable for this one. If anyone wants to vote for me in the Halloween contest, it's open until the 10th. I doubt I have any chance to win, but it will be fun to try. I'll link it when I'm done.

rac3r_x

rac3r_x

fade

fade

I put up an Instructable about my glowing eyes project. If you like, please vote for me in the "Make It Glow" contest. The contest entry has to be approved first, so the option to vote may not be there yet.

Thanks!

http://www.instructables.com/id/Motion-sensitive-glowing-eyes-that-light-up-random/

fade

fade

image.jpg
Never too early to start planning for 2015.

Celt Z

Celt Z

No gold lame* speedo?

(*I can't figure out how to format the accent grave, so that should be "lah-may" not "lay-m".)

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

How long does it take to unzip the "awesome" package?

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

No gold lamé speedo?

(*I can't figure out how to format the accent grave, so that should be "lah-may" not "lay-m".)
Éé

hold down alt, and hit 0201 or 0233 depending on if you want upper or lower case

fade

fade

How long does it take to unzip the "awesome" package?
Are you coming on to me?

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Are you coming on to me?
I couldn't resist the double-entendre. ;)

PatrThom

PatrThom

View attachment 17208 Never too early to start planning for 2015.

Éé
hold down alt, and hit 0201 or 0233 depending on if you want upper or lower case
Or on Mac hold down <OPTION> and type the letter "e," thén the next vówel yoú type wíll háve an accent (regardless of case).

--Patrick

fade

fade

I couldn't resist the double-entendre. ;)
Wait that's what "awesome package" was referring to.

fade

fade

Or on Mac hold down <OPTION> and type the letter "e," thén the next vówel yoú type wíll háve an accent (regardless of case).

--Patrick
Yeah that radio is a dead simple build. I want the camera for two reasons: lips, and a future Zola costume.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I don't see the problem in typing é. It's the key with the 2 on it, just without pressing shift....:troll:

(hey I get the problem of WASD movement all the time, let my keyboard have some advantages :p)