Halforums Recipe Swap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed that there seems to be a fair number of people who like to cook on this board, and I thought I'd start a thread where we could share/exchange recipes. I'll get the ball rolling with a super simple dessert that anyone can whip up, and it's also my very favorite!

Minute Magic
1 1/2 - 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 stick butter, melted
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
1 cup chopped nuts (pecans for me)

Preheat oven to 350

Mix the graham cracker and butter in a small bowl. Press into a pregeased baking dish (I usually use an 8 inch square baking dish, because I like the crust thicker) until even spread out. Pour the can of sweetened condensed milk over the crust, and spread it out. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and nuts. I gave measurements, but I really just eyeball it. Finally, cover it with the coconut (Again, eyeball it.)

Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the coconut starts to get nice and brown (not burnt). Let cool for a couple hours, or do what we do and grab a fork after about 30 minutes!

Any recipe that gets shared I plan on trying out.

R

redapples

Tomato Sauce, made fresh,

1 onion
1 carrot
1 stick celery
sweated down.

6 large ripe tomatos (or 1 can, a pinch of suger and squeeze of lemon juice) quatered seeds removed.

Cook these down for about 15 minutes and then pass it through sieve.

Once cooked add a fennel bulb halved then sliced, 100g raisens, 100g pine nuts and some anchovies and sardines. I tend to use cans and will use 2 cans of Anchovies (about 100g) and 2 of Sardines (250g approx). Cook until the fennel is soft. Serve with spaghetti.

...raisins? In a spaghetti sauce? I have never heard of that.

Spinach-filled ham rolls

300g spinach, fresh or deepfrozen
1 onion
1 or 2 cloves of garlic (depending on your preference)
6 slices of ham
Grated cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Optional: 1 finely chopped jalapeno/habanero or a spoonful of hot sauce of your preference

Pre-heat your oven to 390 Fahrenheit or 200 Celsius*. Finely chop the onion and crush the garlic. Wash the spinach leaves if fresh. Heat butter or cooking oil in a wok or large skillet. Sautee the onion. Throw in the spinach bit by bit and stirfry it until all of it has been reduced to a green paste. Throw in garlic and optionally the pepper or hot sauce and stirfry some more, then add salt and pepper to taste. Strain spinach in colander and make sure almost all the liquid is gone. Divide the spinach over your slices of ham and make rolls. Put the rolls in a greased oven-dish and sprinkle with grated cheese. Put in oven for about 15-20 minutes. Enjoy!

*Since I work with Celsius, the Fahrenheit conversion might mean you have to adjust the cooking time in the oven. 390 seems about the closest I got with a converter so it should be alright.

Also, 6 rolls serve about two people if used as the vegetable side dish in a dinner. When cooking for more, the ratio is about 1 person = 150g spinach, 3 slices of ham, half an onion and 1/2 to 1 clove of garlic [depending on taste]

figmentPez

Staff member
My Chili Recipe:

1 lb. ground beef
2 Cups black beans (prepared, or from a can)
2 Cups pinto beans "
2 Cups salsa
2 (14.5oz) cans diced tomatoes
1 medium onion – chopped or diced
1/4 tsp. coriander - ground
1 tsp. chili powder
3/4 tsp. celery seed
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. cilantro (dried)
2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. salt

Brown hamburger. Drain grease. Rinse beans in colander.
Combine ingredients and cook until onions are tender (about 40 minutes to an hour) and flavors have blended. Adjust seasonings as needed.
This can simmer as long as needed, just keep adding water to maintain chili at desired consistency.

Yield: 9 servings. Serving size: 1 C.

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

Minute Magic
Yum! I've always known those as Magic Cookie Bars. They used to be a standard for Christmas time when I was a kid.

North_Ranger

Staff member
North_Ranger's Mama's Easy Bolognese,
or the traditional Finnish spaghetti and hamburger sauce

c. 1 pound/half a kilo of mince meat
rough handful of flour
ketchup
a glass of water
spices (paprika, oregano, basil, pepper)
(1-2 cloves of garlic)

Tip: for a slightly healthier fare, use minced meat of veal instead of pork. Pork, however, is cheaper, and there is no significant change in flavour.

1. Cook the minced meat on the frying pan, keep stirring it so it doesn't lump up. The finer you can get it, the better.
2. Once the minced meat is cooked, start boiling the spaghetti. While you wait for the water to heat up, proceed with making the sauce.
3. Sprinkle a rough handful of flour onto the meat. Do not lump it in; it'll leave lump. Stir until the flour is all mixed up with the meat.
4. Add ketchup to your liking. Or, if you prefer, add some strained tomatoes into the mix.
5. Add spices and the crushed garlic cloves. To those who like onion, here you can put in 1/2 onion if you like, chopped. Stir well.
6. Add half of the water, and stir. If the sauce is too thick for your liking, add more water. If too thin, add ketchup/strained tomatoes or flour. Stir immediately to avoid lumps.
7. Turn down the heat and let the sauce simmer while you cook the spaghetti.
8. Serve hot with grated cheese on top.

figmentPez;340604 [/COLOR said:
Minute Magic
Yum! I've always known those as Magic Cookie Bars. They used to be a standard for Christmas time when I was a kid.
The secret ingredient is :Leyla:.

I had planned on doing a recipe tonight, but Texas got a couple inches of snow and the apocolypse has started, so I'll have to postpone for tomorrow. I love bolognese, so I'm gonna give N_R's recipe a try.

This next recipe seems like it takes forever, but it's actually pretty simple.

Lemon Yogurt Cake
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
1 1/3 cups sugar, divided
3 extra-large eggs
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice

Blueberry Sauce
3 containers blueberries
1 cup sugar
1 tbs water

Set oven to 350

Sift the dry ingredients into a small bowl, and mix together slightly. In another small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, egg, 1 cup sugar, vanilla and lemon zest until well blended. Add the dry ingredients to the mixture in thirds, until just blended. (Don't over mix) Slowly incorporate the vegetable oil, again, until just mixed. Pour into a pre-greased bread loaf pan. Bake for about 50 minutes.

When you have about 10 minutes to go take the 1/3 lemon juice and mix it with the remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Continue to heat up (don't let it boil) until the mixture turns clear. Once the cake is done, let it cool for about 10 minutes, then remove from the pan. Slowly drizzle with the lemon glaze, so it gets all absorbed. ALMOST DONE!

Finally, make sure the berries are rinsed off, and add to a sauce pan with the tbs water, and sugar. Let it simmer until the berries have broken down. Move to a fine mesh strainer, and collect all the juice, leaving the skins behind. Pour sauce over lemon cake, and enjoy!!

My most requested dessert from friends and family is my flour-less chocolate cake:

Flourless Chocolate Cake

6 eggs
1 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
14 oz good, dark baking chocolate, chopped
1 lb butter, cut into small cubes

In a double boiler, melt together chocolate and butter until smooth, add vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, beat eggs, add salt and sugar and beat until well combined. Slowly temper egg mixture with chocolate until eggs are closer to temp of chocolate. Combine chocolate mixture with egg mixture, pour into well-greased spring-form pan and bake in 425 degree oven until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean - approximately 20 - 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool 5 to 10 minutes before removing sides of pan.

Optional 1: Before baking, add chipotle or cayenne pepper (dried and ground) to batter for a spicy kick.
Optional 2: Remove from oven and dust with confectioner's sugar.

Chicken Marsala

2 decent sized chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
1 tsp butter or olive oil
1/2 medium white onion, diced
1/2 - 1 lb crimini or shiitake mushrooms, chopped
1 Cup chicken stock
1 Cup Marsala
1 Tbsp sage, rubbed and chiffonade

In a saute pan over medium heat sweat onions in oil or butter until tender and translucent, remove from pan and set aside. In same pan, saute chicken breasts 5 to 7 minutes per side over medium-high heat. Remove chicken from pan and hold warm. De-glaze pan with marsala. Add chicken broth and onions. Reduce sauce by half, add mushrooms and cook until tender. Serve chicken with marsala-mushroom sauce on top and garnish with fresh sage.

D

darkangel6988

View attachment 323I'm new here but love to cook........I have a real good recipe for bacon cheeseburger potato pie I'd like to share.........

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2lb extra-lean (at least 90%) ground beef1/2cup Progresso® plain bread crumbs1/4cup finely chopped onion1/4cup ketchup2teaspoons yellow mustard1/2teaspoon salt1 1/4cups water3tablespoons butter or margarine

1/4teaspoon garlic salt3/4cup milk2cups mashed potato flakes1cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 oz)1medium tomato, chopped3slices precooked bacon, crumbled2green onions, sliced, if desired

DIRECTIONS
1.Heat oven to 375°F. In medium bowl, mix ground beef, bread crumbs, onion, ketchup, mustard and salt. Press mixture in bottom and up sides of ungreased 9-inch pie plate. Bake 15 minutes.2.In medium saucepan, place water, butter and garlic salt. Heat to boiling. Remove from heat. Add milk. With fork, stir in potato flakes. Stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese.3.Remove partially baked beef crust from oven; pour off any drippings. Spoon potato mixture evenly into crust. Return to oven; bake 10 to 15 minutes longer or until beef is thoroughly cooked and thermometer placed in center of crust reads 160°F, and potatoes are hot.4.Remove pie from oven. Top with tomato, remaining 1/2 cup cheese and crumbled bacon; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Remove from oven; top with green onions. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Attachments

Sauerkraut/Tomato/Potato mash

500g sauerkraut
6 medium potatoes
4 roma tomatoes or 100g cherry tomatoes
1 onion
1 tsp curry powder
salt/pepper

Optional: 100g Lardons

Strain the sauerkraut in a colander and pull the strands apart a little so it's not one big clump. Peel and dice your potatoes and boil until tender (about 15/20 minutes). In the meantime, finely dice your onions and roughly dice your romas. Sauté your onions in a deep pan (and fry the lardons if you choose to use them). Dump in the sauerkraut and stir over high heat until it's soft and easily pulled apart. (about 8/10 minutes) Throw in your tomatoes and stir for another two minutes, then add curry powder and salt and pepper to taste. Mash your potatoes, then throw in with the sauerkraut and mash together. Serve with sausage or pork chops. Enjoy!

Quantity serves about 3/4 people depending on how big eaters you are.

D

Dusty668

"Lardons" in America are also called fatback, or cracklins in the south.

Okay, I'm back! I've tried N_R's bolognese (so good!) and Gared's flourless chocolate cake. WAY better then I thought it was going to be. I'll have some pictures once I get them onto my computer. Next up is going to be figmentPez's chili, and then darkangels bacon chesseburger potato pie, because... well... bacon cheseeburger potato pie!

Petit Pots du Creme au Chocolat
1 6 oz package of chocolate chips, semi sweet
1 whole egg
pinch salt
2 tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup heavy cream or half and half
2 tablespoons rum or 1 tablespoon vanilla

Begin by just barely bringing the cream to a boil. While that's going on throw the chocolate chips, egg, salt and sugar into the blender. Pulse a few times until everything is mixed. With the blender running add the hot cream. Blend for one full minute (this will melt the chocolate and "cook" the egg). Add the rum (or vanilla) and blend to mix. Now, you can pour this into some demitasse cups, or, you can go buy some of the pre baked phyllo shells, fill em up, add some raspberries, garnish with mint, and have a dessert that looks like you spent hours on it, and takes you, like, 5 minutes.

Alright, so apparently I need to figure out how to move pictures from my phone to my computer, which is proving more difficult than I had imagined. I've finally made my way through all of the recipes in here, so here's another one you guys can try out!

Mexican Lasagna
1 tbs olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1-2 cloves minced garlic
1 lbs shredded chicken (already cooked)
4-6 6in tortillas, halved (I like blue corn)
2 cups of salsa (either homemade or storebought. I make tomatillo salsa, because I like the color contrasts with the tortillas)
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cup cottage cheese
a handful of coarsley chopped cilantro
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
peppers, diced (optional. Go with whatever heat you like. I like 2 jalapenos, one seeded, but I like it to be a bit spicier. I also throw some jalapenos in the salsa, seeded)

Preheat oven to 350

In a medium sauce pan heat up the oil, and add the onions. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until tender. Add the garlic and cook for one more minute. Add one cup of the salsa, and add the chicken. Cook for about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine sour cream, cottage cheese, cilantro, peppers (is using), cumin, salt, and pepper. Mix will.
In a large baking dish, being to assemble. Start with 1/2 cup of the salsa, then the tortillas, chicken mixture, sour cream and cottage cheese mixture, and then monterey jack cheese. Continue layering until you've used up all of the ingredients (I usually get 3 layers).
Bake for about 25-30 minutes. I usually serve it with a salad, but rice and beans work too.

Crab Rangoon

1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, softened
1 C Mayo
1 Can White Crab
2 Cloves garlic, minced very fine or ground into paste
1 Tbsp grated ginger
3 green onions, minced.
1 pinch salt
1 pkg small wanton wrappers (not the size you use for egg rolls, these were rectangles about 3" by 3 1/2")

Combine all ingredients except wrappers in a mixing bowl. Place a wrapper in front of you on a clean, dry work surface, so that the wrapper forms a diamond, with one point toward you (instead of a side). Spoon no more than 1 teaspoon of filling mix into the middle of the wrapper. Wet two sides of the diamond with water and fold wrapper in half, being careful to get as much air out of the pocket as possible and to seal the sides as well as possible. Repeat until you are out of filling (this made about 30 pieces of crab rangoon).

In whichever fryer you prefer, heat oil until an empty wanton skin, dropped in the oil, bubbles and rises to the surface quickly, and comes to the color you want on your rangoon within 1 minute of entering the oil. (I don't have a fryer with a thermometer, so I have no idea how hot the oil was). Fry 3 or 4 pieces of crab rangoon at a time, turning once. Drain on paper towel to remove excess grease and serve with sweet and sour sauce and hot mustard.

Status
Not open for further replies.