Gusto's February Madness (NSFW)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the deal: I'm gonna try to post a decent sketch-or-better quality drawing every day in February. Much like others of you. :)

I'm gonna take the opportunity to improve in some areas where I'm lacking, but most of all, I'm going for consistent updates.

28 DAYS LATER.

Well.

Much as it shames me and I don't like to talk about it, my first attempts at a webcomic had some positive side effects. Coming out of high school, everything that I drew was tainted by my fandom for Dragonball and all that. I imagine a lot of young nerdy artists are the same way - you learn to draw by copying something you loved, and eventually you find yourself unable to draw anything else. So if nothing else, forcing myself to draw in a more... westernized style for those months allowed me to break the paradigms I had set for myself since I was 15.

The comic ended after 35 pages.

My goals for the February Madness thread were to try to emulate that period of evolution, with the known caveat that I actually like my sketching style now. I wasn't looking to start from scratch, I was looking to give my work some more range and substance. If you check my Art Thread or deviantArt, almost everything done before February was a portrait of a person standing in 3/4, dead on, or profile. Pencil sketches, maybe with a simple colouration. Hell, that's how I started out my month too.

I feel like I still have a lot of work to do but the most important things I took away from this month are these:

• how to use Photoshop Elements, at least at a barebones level, including a new appreciation for layers.
  • how to use a tablet. I'm far from mastering it but damn if I don't feel like a magician now.
  • breaking out of stiff poses! Christ, I've drawn heads from different angles, bodies in weird poses, nudes, and more. And I was able to do it in the style that I've grown to like over the past 4-5 years.
  • a better understanding of anatomy and how the real human body works, referenced from photographs, other drawings, and yes, even mirrors.
  • CONSISTENCY IN UPDATES. As much as I wanna take a break, it's hard to not draw something today. Thank God the month's given me plenty of half-finished sketches I wanna get back to.
Maybe there's more but I feel like it's been a productive month for me, even as far as marketing has gone.

I don't want to brag, but I was the only Halforumite to post something all 28 days. And over the month I've gotten 4 offers of commission, 2 of which are for paintings. This is good news!

Anyway, I wanna thank Fennewalde for bringing this challenge to Halforums, I wanna thank Yumiko and Missy for allowing me to use Facebook photos of them, I wanna thank Bryan Lee O'Malley for basically fueling me through the last 7 days of the challenge.

And most of all, I wanna thank EVERYONE who took the time to comment in this thread, or on the pieces I decided to upload to Facebook or deviantArt. Without your praise or constructive criticism, or completely neutral comments, or even "liked this" alerts, I would not have made it through the month. Maybe it speaks to the little attention-whore living in my brain, but I don't think I'd be an artist at all if there was no one to love it, hate it, or even look at it. Thank you thank you thank you.

- Kevin Miller.

Day 1:

Day 2:

Day 3:

Day 4:

Day 5:

Day 6:

Day 7:

Day 8:

Day 9:

Day 10:

Day 11:

Day 12:

Day 13:

Day 14:

Day 15:

Day 16:

Day 17:

Day 18:

Day 19:

Day 20:

Day 21:

Day 22:

Day 23:

Day 24:

Day 25:

Day 26:

Day 27:

Day 28:

The Apprentice

The dragonborn Rathkor, who ventured into unknown, harsh and cruel lands to see what became of the man who first taught him the arcane path after his sudden disappearance.

I like that one! And there's a couple of things I'll probably be copying the next time I draw a dragon :)

Thanks! I don't draw dragons that much but I decided to make this dragonborn a little bulkier than my previous attempt:

Alright! You're gonna kill it this month. Looking forward to what you come up with. Stay strong. Stay determined. It's battle time and we're gonna rock!

J

Jiarn

You make baby Trogdor cry Silver Jelly, I hope you're happy.

Gusto, I think I commented on your work in your other thread, but I SERIOUSLY like your line work and style. Would still love to get a comission out of you for one of my WoW characters.

You make baby Trogdor cry Silver Jelly, I hope you're happy.

Gusto, I think I commented on your work in your other thread, but I SERIOUSLY like your line work and style. Would still love to get a comission out of you for one of my WoW characters.
I'm not sure how competent I am at drawing armor of most kinds, but PM me if you're interested! I'd love to take a look, at the very least.

J

Jiarn

I'm not able to check armory here from work, and I'm not wearing the best gear, but possibly some artwork depicting a Draenei Paladin in any of the Tier gear would be pretty slick. Give me some time when I get home and I'll throw a few ideas your way. Oh and PM me your work price -wink-

My first attempt to use a tablet in Photoshop Elements, which came with my tablet.

I have no idea why it artifacted so bad. Hmmm.

I'm getting the hang of doing linework with the Wacom. I've got the next three days of posts ready. :)

B

Biannoshufu

I'm getting the hang of doing linework with the Wacom. I've got the next three days of posts ready. :)
Actually, no, you've got 3 works done today. We still expect new work tomorrow. You can cheat, but the point is you are your own adversary. You cheat, YOU lose. Your art skill will thank you for sticking with Fenne's master plan

Actually, no, you've got 3 works done today. We still expect new work tomorrow. You can cheat, but the point is you are your own adversary. You cheat, YOU lose. Your art skill will thank you for sticking with Fenne's master plan
Cheerfully disregarded!

while it is not in the spirit of draw-everyday, nobody here is going to stop you. It's great that you got a bunch done today! Productivity is a good thing. Maybe you'll find an itch to create tomorrow. you never know.

otherwise, you know, we might have to tell you the wrong time to our pizza party at the end of the month or something. <_<

Additionally, the reason your image came out 'splotchy' could be any number of things. You might be saving as a jpeg repeatedly, which will cause the image to lose resolution everytime you save. Also, jpegs in general will do the splotchy colors bit. If a site supports it, i'd go png files. they're bigger but retain true value. Coooooolio.

I know now that I accidentally saved it at far too low a quality, so it got all compressy and artifacty.

And believe me, I AM drawing every day. I just don't know that I'll be able to upload every day. I just want there to be at least 28 new pictures here by the end of the month.

Would it be better to post everything that I drew today (er... yesterday)?

Here's my first foray in Illustrator.

Vector's weird. I'm not sure I like it. I might just need more practice, but I've found a method in PSE that seems to work for me pretty well. I'll post that stuff later today, so as to avoid being accused of cheating.

B

Biannoshufu

She looks like a blind dork. So, awesome.

Yes, do draw more. And post it. Otherwise bad things will happen near you that will deeply unsettle you for weeks.

I decided to go back to PSE, and finally found a brush that I liked. I also wanted to keep the sketchiness of my, well, sketches, since my other tabletwork had come out too clean and I always liked having errant pencil lines around.

Here's a thumbnail for a wallpaper I made (click for the 1680x1050 version).

B

Biannoshufu

cool! i cant wait to see the stuff you've drawn today. /stare.

Last one for today.

Using the same brush as the last, and a little more of the sketchiness.

I think if I ever made a comic I would do it like this.

I always draw people with long necks. I usually also draw them pretty thin.

It's hard to get past because I'm thin and have a long neck. It's something I'm working on...

Any comments about the tablet work? The technique? That's the stuff I was practicing with this image. I've drawn plenty of people in 3/4 before.

i haven't worked in that program before so i don't know it's limitations/strengths. For the experimenting with sketch/digital-ness, i like it! Maybe you should try to have the traditional art elements aid the shapes in the face rather than just being randomly placed(at least, that is, i haven't figured out how you are using the sketchyness). Watch the line width on the outline. some parts are fine, and other parts are counterproductive. hope that helps. nice job gusto! =p

Are you drawing the lines on a new layer, or directly on the scan? I scan stuff in, then lower the opacity on that layer before I begin outlining it on a new layer.

Although, I think you're trying to keep the pencil lines (at least somewhat), no?

Are you drawing the lines on a new layer, or directly on the scan? I scan stuff in, then lower the opacity on that layer before I begin outlining it on a new layer.

Although, I think you're trying to keep the pencil lines (at least somewhat), no?
Yeah I'm trying to keep my pencil lines.

I scan the image and bump up the contrast. New layer, white, ~50% opacity. New layer, lines.

Then I save selections on the lines layer and load them on the white layer, and tone them in dark greys.

Then move greys to the bottom, 100% opacity. Then I jiggle the opacity on the scan so that the pencil shows up but the grays don't get too light.

There's probably a better way to do it but I'm just experimenting.
Added at: 00:47
Maybe you should try to have the traditional art elements aid the shapes in the face rather than just being randomly placed(at least, that is, i haven't figured out how you are using the sketchyness).
This one is less sketchy than most will be, just because I'm used to this 3/4 view of a face, similar in structure to my own. I don't really rely on the basic shapes because I've practiced it many times.

My sketchiest stuff is when I'm trying a new pose or something and don't have a good reference.

Watch the line width on the outline. some parts are fine, and other parts are counterproductive.
Would you mind pointing this out to me, maybe in a PM/conversation? I'm new to the whole line thickness thing and I don't see all the mistakes I'm probably making. :awesome:

Status
Not open for further replies.