Got a PS3 as a present. Any game recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KenjiFinster

A couple of weeks ago, a client left me a big package as a present after rescuing a file. It turned out that the file was a politics poll (We're having presidential elections this year in here), and the present was a brand-new PS3 (The 80GB model. The slim will be released in october around here).

Right now I have 5 games for it (MGS4, Bioshock, LittleBigPlanet, WipeOut HD and Sonic Unleashed*), and I want to get some other games, but not right away. Any good recommendations? I'm not into RPGs, BTW.

* Whatever you say, I still like Sonic... Except the first one for 360/PS3. That was pure crap.

C

Cuyval Dar

Unless you have it for PC, get Fallout 3. Or get it on PC anyway. You owe it to yourself.
It is a RPG in the loosest sense of the word.

K

KenjiFinster

Unless you have it for PC, get Fallout 3. Or get it on PC anyway. You owe it to yourself.
Mac user here.
And yes, I'm looking for it, but it goes for US$100 in here (And that's the standard edition).

C

Cuyval Dar

First game I would buy with a fresh PS3 is MGS4. Mostly because of the huge MGS fan that I am.
He has it.

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

Mac user here.
And yes, I'm looking for it, but it goes for US$100 in here (And that's the standard edition).[/QUOTE]
Ouch.

T

ThatNickGuy

I really liked Prototype when I played it on my friend's 360 a few weeks ago. It's on PS3, as well.

Dead Rising 2 is coming out next year, which I can't wait for.

I just discovered Katamari Forever is coming out this month.

Haven't played it, but I hear Infamous is a lot of fun.

Two that I played briefly but would love to play in more detail: Fight Night Round 4 (that's speaking as a non-boxing fan, too!) and Saint's Row 2, which is a lot sillier compared to Grand Theft Auto in every good way.

G

GeneralOrder24

Rock band - you can pick up the original bundle for about $100 now. You might be able to cobble it together used for cheaper. If you're into the subpar plastic guitar games, you can always pick up Guitar hero 5, which comes with the opportunity to get GH van halen for free when it's out (if you buy the GH5 sept release.)

Pain on the PSN is a a great game, and only $10 to boot. Also on PSN is linger in shadows, which I enjoyed. It's not a game, more a piece of art. It's only a couple of bucks, but people seem to bitch when something is over in 10 min and isn't free

And of course, Batman's great. You can tear through it pretty quick, so it might not be a bad idea to rent. That goes for ghostbusters as well.

I'd second prototype, over infamous as well. Infamous is definitley more well written, in-depth story wise, and engrossing, but the devs made some design choices which frustrated* me to no end.

You can pick up force unleashed and unreal tournament 3 used for under 20 bucks each, and it's well worth it, especially since UT3 allows for mods on the PS3.

*pissed me off so bad I almost ripped the controller in half. took a couple of minutes of fiddling to get the L and R buttons to pop back into their slots.

---------- Post added at 07:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 AM ----------

Um, no. It's an RPG, in a pretty strong way. You make your own decisions, select your own dialog, develop your character and increase stats as you level up. It's not some JRPG spikey haired emo guy that looks like a girl saving the world and occasionally pulling your heartstrings crap, but it's definitley an RPG.

I'd second getting it anyway though.

O

Overflight

Here are my recommendations:

Blu-Ray:

Burnout Paradise
Ratchet and Clank: Tools Of Destruction
Street Fighter IV
inFamous
Killzone 2

PSN:
Bionic Commando Rearmed
Shatter

K

KenjiFinster

Rock band - you can pick up the original bundle for about $100 now. You might be able to cobble it together used for cheaper. If you're into the subpar plastic guitar games, you can always pick up Guitar hero 5, which comes with the opportunity to get GH van halen for free when it's out (if you buy the GH5 sept release.)
Been looking for it (Even when I'm not really a fan of music games, except for DDR). But it goes for US$400 in here! Four Hundred Freaking Dollars!

I'll try to find Batman and SFIV... Maybe in a couple of months (Batman is an import for US$80/US$170... at least the demo was fun) and I've only seen SFIV for 360 and PC around here.

Pain... I'll look into it. What about Megaman 9? (Keep in mind that I'm a little mad to not be able to load my PSX Rockman Complete Works games because they are japanese imports)

Um, no. It's an RPG, in a pretty strong way. You make your own decisions, select your own dialog, develop your character and increase stats as you level up. It's not some JRPG spikey haired emo guy that looks like a girl saving the world and occasionally pulling your heartstrings crap, but it's definitley an RPG.

I'd second getting it anyway though.
I played Lunar back on the Sega CD era! And it was awesome! (I still can't stand FF). Also played the first Fallout in the Mac (Was the only one in my group to get the Futurama Xmas story reference).

My only problem with Lunar is that you get randomly attacked ALL THE FUCKING TIME. Like 2-3X more than other RPGs. Made going through dungeons a chore instead of an adventure.

My only problem with Lunar is that you get randomly attacked ALL THE FUCKING TIME. Like 2-3X more than other RPGs. Made going through dungeons a chore instead of an adventure.
That changed ALOT in the PSX conversion. There were even items you could wear/use that would prevent ANY random encounters unless you wanted to have them.

That changed ALOT in the PSX conversion. There were even items you could wear/use that would prevent ANY random encounters unless you wanted to have them.[/QUOTE]

I played the PSX version, it had the same problem still... and using those items denied you money/XP that the game still didn't seem to give you enough of.

I played the PSX version, it had the same problem still... and using those items denied you money/XP that the game still didn't seem to give you enough of.
Cmon Ash, you're nitpicking now.

Run through a dungeon, enough to get the xp and money you need (which like you said, comes fast and frequent) then use the "no attack" items to go through the rest of the area at your leisure. It was win-win.

C

Chibibar

there is a new PS3 slim that Sony denied of making..... 120GB model for $299... (saw it on gameformer)

I'm gonna cry now.

G

GeneralOrder24

That changed ALOT in the PSX conversion. There were even items you could wear/use that would prevent ANY random encounters unless you wanted to have them.[/quote]

I played the PSX version, it had the same problem still... and using those items denied you money/XP that the game still didn't seem to give you enough of.[/QUOTE]

I used the item which gave you no random battles, lots of XP and money....codebreaker!

A

Alucard

Infamous, Arkham Asylum, Killzone 2, Motorstorm Pacific Rift, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

Status
Not open for further replies.