Export thread

Glenn Beck starting a Libertarian Paradise in Texas - he's gone Galt

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/independence-park-be-glenn-becks-galts-gulch

paging GasBandit to the thread, please pick up the white courtesy phone, you going to go live with the only True American Libertarian Hero left?

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I love how all of these Galt projects in the media seem to rely on the idea that their literal tax-haven is going to become a Mecca to the faithful.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Sweet, a new Bioshock game.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

too bad he won't Gault his way out of Texas. I hear the Guyana is beautiful this time of year.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Maaan, I wanted to come here and start a thread about this. Doh well.

As for would I go live there? Eh, let me know if they get that force field up, first. Otherwise, it's not smart to be the nail that sticks up the farthest right now.

Frank

Frank

If there're plasmids, I'll join.

How does one be both a Christian and an Objectivist?

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Maaan, I wanted to come here and start a thread about this. Doh well.

As for would I go live there? Eh, let me know if they get that force field up, first. Otherwise, it's not smart to be the nail that sticks up the farthest right now.
Well, it's hardly a new idea.

http://www.fastcoexist.com/1678720/...-start-libertarian-utopias-in-honduran-jungle

Also, there's the "Citadel": http://gawker.com/5975573/glenn-bec...ounced-plans-for-a-libertarian-commune-better[DOUBLEPOST=1358200132][/DOUBLEPOST]And this gutsy microstate is still at war with East Germany. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Molossia

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm not convinced that any nation, be it the US or Honduras or other, would really tolerate an independent entity within their borders if the chips really came down.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

It probably depends how independent they are and what they're planning to do.

I feel like the US government would have far fewer problems with GlennBeckistan than it did with the Republic of New Afrika.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I like how some US Bishops called Paul Ryan on that dichotomy.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Sweet, a new Bioshock game.
You know, knowing how much Glenn Beck likes money, it would not surprise me if this were a guerrilla marketing campaign for Infinite.

Zappit

Zappit

Man loves his country enough to build a separate country to avoid it, cut off media connections with it, rewrite its history, and reject its infrastructure. That's a patriot right there. I can only assume that his plan to show leaders "the truth" is a reeducation camp meant to subvert the American government...The GlennBeckian Candidate?

But damn, will he have to shill a lot of gold to raise that two billion.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

That's a patriot right there. I can only assume that his plan to show leaders "the truth" is a reeducation camp meant to subvert the American government...The GlennBeckian Candidate?
No, no, only liberals have re-education camps. They're called public schools. /s

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

No, no, only liberals have re-education camps. They're called public schools. /s
Liberal Arts Colleges. Look! It's right in the name!

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Liberal Arts Colleges. Look! It's right in the name!
...My...God....

They're all around us!

Necronic

Necronic

A question every conservative since Goldwater has chosen to ignore.

Bowielee

Bowielee

We can joke about this, but this is how cults start.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I'm not convinced that any nation, be it the US or Honduras or other, would really tolerate an independent entity within their borders if the chips really came down.
Depends on your definition. South Africa seems to do just fine with Lesotho and Swaziland.

Necronic

Necronic

We can joke about this, but this is how cults start.
You make it sound like Glenn Beck doesn't already have a cult

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Best case scenario? Glenn Beck humiliates himself with this and we all get a laugh.
Worst case scenario? Glenn Beck forms a cult, is a little too clever with the Kool-Aid and Nikes, then leaves the rest of us alone.

I really don't see how we lose with this.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Best case scenario? Glenn Beck humiliates himself with this and we all get a laugh.
Worst case scenario? Glenn Beck forms a cult, is a little too clever with the Kool-Aid and Nikes, then leaves the rest of us alone.

I really don't see how we lose with this.
Even worse scenario - Ruby Ridge 1992.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

yeah, despite my statement about wanting to punch right-wing pundits, I don't want them all to be cruelly gunned down by federal agents

Zappit

Zappit

I don't think that happens. The guy has more of a Jim Jones vibe going on.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I don't think that happens. The guy has more of a Jim Jones vibe going on.
Exactly. Glenn Beck has gone off the reservation, but his ego is massive and would never accept this kind of failure. He'd drink the Kool-Aid long before the Feds ever stormed the place... and that's assuming he didn't just blame it on FAKE AMERICA.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Seeing as how GlennBeckistan is supposed to be a libertarian Disneyland, I suspect he would welcome federal agents in and give them a coupon for the museum.

PatrThom

PatrThom

GlennBeckistan
If we have to give it a name, I vote instead for GlennBeckisbad.

--Patrick

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

If we have to give it a name, I vote instead for GlennBeckisbad.

--Patrick

Too bad "Turkey" is already taken.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Too bad the state of Misery is taken already too...

Timmus

Timmus

Oh man whoever gets the contract to supply chalkboards and chalk to this tiny yet proud new nation is gonna be soooooooo rich.

Covar

Covar

Exactly. Glenn Beck has gone off the reservation, but his ego is massive and would never accept this kind of failure. He'd drink the Kool-Aid long before the Feds ever stormed the place... and that's assuming he didn't just blame it on FAKE AMERICA.
I think you mean he's gone on the reservation :rimshot: