Export thread

GI Joe movie pushed to 2013 to make it 3D

Frank

Frank

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/170723-gi-joe-retaliation-delayed-until-2013

A year. This was the big dumb movie coming out this year that actually looked watchable. Man, as if there weren't enough reasons to fucking hate 3D.

Apparently, foreign markets eat up 3D.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Aww, I really was looking forward to this dumb awesome Ray Parks flick.

I still won't watch it in 3-D.

Covar

Covar

Yes, but look how well Titanic 3D did. OBVIOUSLY the 3d is the reason why.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I hate you, 3D. I really fuckin' hate you.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

3D inflates the ticket price, making it seem like a bigger success than it was.

Non-3D - 100 people see the film. They make 1000.
3D - 50 people see the film, they make 2000.

3D was super popular!

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

It doesn't inflate it THAT drastically*. But your point still stands. I like 3D, and I've always been against the retroactive 3D bullshit.

This is such a dumb move though. They essentially wasted that Superbowl ad. And The Rock did his whole Wrestlemania return in March/April promoting this movie. Is he going to do that again? Even if the answer is yes, it won't be as special/unique/less people will care.

It also gives rival studio Universal's Ted a huge boon, moving to the now open weekend to get a jump before TDKR.

Jay

Jay

After my last 3D movie, unless it's shot with true 3D tech, I'm not watching it in 3D.

Frank

Frank

After my last 3D movie, unless it's shot with true 3D tech, I'm not watching it in 3D.
Yup

LittleSin

LittleSin

I've already seen toys for this movie pop up in the store.

What the fuck are they thinking?!

Frank

Frank

BLERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH

http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/big-problems-behind-g-i-joe-2s-big-delay/

This makes me not want to watch movies anymore.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I thought watching sausage being made was disgusting...

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

If I had to guess, I would suppose that Hasbro has panicked after the failure of Battleship.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Really, who "green lit" Battleship anyway?

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Battleship hardly qualifies as a failure... with a budget of 209 million and a total box office take of 280 million so far including international markets (international markets saved its butt). So they only made what... 70 million in profit? Considering the movie is pure and utter trash I think that's pretty damn good.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

If you are not doubling your money, you are losing money.

Tress

Tress

If you are not doubling your money, you are losing money.
Six is right, studios want to at least double their money. Anything less is a failure.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I love Friday Night Lights as much as anyone, but this Spring has told us, unequivocably, that America wants nothing to do with one Taylor Kitsch.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Six is right, studios want to at least double their money. Anything less is a failure.

If that's the case then why in the nine hells did they take a risk on Battleship? Did somone honestly think that this would be a money doubling film?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

If that's the case then why in the nine hells did they take a risk on Battleship? Did somone honestly think that this would be a money doubling film?
Transformers.

Write a shit movie, add a buttload of assplosions and make money!!!!!!!!

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Wow, hopefully this does something good for the movie as I was interested in seeing it, but I feel like the pushback would cost a lot due to all the blown cash on advertising and merchandise.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

@Li3n

@Li3n

Apparently, foreign markets eat up 3D.
Kinda hard not to when there's no place where i can get a 2d version of Avengers...

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

For the record, you can't blame me for Battleship. I steered clear of that diarrhea of a movie.

As for GI Joe... the first one was a complete piece of turd, I don't expect its follow-up to be an improvement.