[Rant] GI Joe movie pushed to 2013 to make it 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.
3D inflates the ticket price, making it seem like a bigger success than it was.

Non-3D - 100 people see the film. They make 1000.
3D - 50 people see the film, they make 2000.

3D was super popular!

It doesn't inflate it THAT drastically*. But your point still stands. I like 3D, and I've always been against the retroactive 3D bullshit.

This is such a dumb move though. They essentially wasted that Superbowl ad. And The Rock did his whole Wrestlemania return in March/April promoting this movie. Is he going to do that again? Even if the answer is yes, it won't be as special/unique/less people will care.

It also gives rival studio Universal's Ted a huge boon, moving to the now open weekend to get a jump before TDKR.

Battleship hardly qualifies as a failure... with a budget of 209 million and a total box office take of 280 million so far including international markets (international markets saved its butt). So they only made what... 70 million in profit? Considering the movie is pure and utter trash I think that's pretty damn good.

Wow, hopefully this does something good for the movie as I was interested in seeing it, but I feel like the pushback would cost a lot due to all the blown cash on advertising and merchandise.

North_Ranger

Staff member
For the record, you can't blame me for Battleship. I steered clear of that diarrhea of a movie.

As for GI Joe... the first one was a complete piece of turd, I don't expect its follow-up to be an improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.