Gaming: An Excercise in Frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

ThatNickGuy

Over in the General section, I've got a thread called Cesspool, talking about looking after my friend's place for a week. Said friend, also has a 360, giving me the chance to try all sorts of games that I ordinarily can't, since I only have a laptop that can run, if I'm lucky, Half-Life 2 on pretty low settings.

That said, it's been kind of an exercise in frustration. I say that for several games:

1) Dead Rising: As cathartic as it is to beat the hell out of zombies or just shove a bucket or lego head over them and take a picture, this game is incredibly frustrating. Not the controls, though the camera is hard to a hold on. No, my problem is two things.

For one, the TV my friends have is a 20" regular TV and this game is clearly meant to be seen on a widescreen high definition. I can't even READ the text, so finding out what controls do what is impossible, leaving me at a guessing game. This is particularly frustrating when there are three or four missions to choose from and I can't read which one is which. Are the shorter bars meant to be the distance from the target? I have no idea.

Secondly, I've had to start over from VERY far points because either I can't find any other save points or it's impossible to get all the way back to the security station to rescue someone. On top of that, I get so lost that I can't figure a way back. When I DID manage to find a way to the warehouse (aka: to the elevator to the security station), the way was gated off.

For the zombie killing, I can see how fun this game is, but I can't do jack crap to progress through the game. On top of that, the "real time" 72 hour clock is ridiculous, leaving me feeling impatient to get things done rather than just sit back and enjoy whacking away at zombies.

2) Mirror's Edge: Again, the text on the TV made reading the controls impossible, leaving me to guess what buttons to hit, which caused me to get killed several times just doing the tutorial. In fact, I wound up being so frustrated that I turned it off.

3) Prototype: Now, THIS is cathartic fun. It's got a really fun premise and a really neat storyline that I'm really digging. If any game will be finished by the end of next week, it's this one. I've yet to figure out how to glide, though, because again, the resolution on the TV makes reading what buttons are what on the instructions impossible.

One minor complaint is that the game just shoots you right in with wham-bam-big explosions, ma'am. That's fine, but it jumps you right in without a tutorial and lets you cut loose. I would've preferred the game start out after waking up in the morgue and letting everything slowly unfold, instead. I hated when the "intro" would go to a video of you changing, getting claws, etc and I'm thinking "wait, now, how can do I that on my own!?" Like a good mystery book, I'd prefer if things had just unfolded slowly.

Games I've yet to try yet, but have either rented from my store or my friend owns:
-Assassin's Creed
-Saint's Row 2
-Grand Theft Auto 4

Games I may rent, if I have the time/chance:
-Ghostbusters (it was rented out)
-Crackdown (heard it's fun)

Any others? Or comments on how this frustration?

G

GeneralOrder24

In dead rising, you can save in any of the bathrooms in the mall by using the toilet or the urinal. I wouldn't worry about time at first, the game gives you a decent amount, and you usually want to start over with the levels you've earned a time or two. The text problem occurs on bigger screens as well. One was to circumvent this without true HD is to get one of those mutli-cables that have an SVIDEO out on them. It bumps the quality up a hair to be able to read things.

As far as prototype goes, iirc the glide ability is done by pressing the jump button again in midair and holding it in. you may have to buy it from the upgrade menu first.

I'd definitley rent/buy crackdown (it's only about $10 used.) It's great. Be forwarned, it's 100% action and literally 0% plot. Ghostbusters was decent too. Short enough to beat on a rental, too.

T

ThatNickGuy

Played a bit more Dead Rising tonight and started to get the hang of it, a bit. I kinda like the feature to restart the game with your current stats, which gave me the chance to go back and follow an FAQ closer for some more points. Had a hard time saving people, at first (couldn't save the chick being attacked by the convicts in the truck, but did save the girl that piggybacked me). Fought the clown boss, who was creepy and annoying, but pretty easy, and saved three people from that area (BIG XP boost there).

Played a bit more Prototype and got the hang of gliding, though not to the point that I see it entirely useful just yet. Got as far as stealing a tank and blasting beasts and such. GodDAMN, it's a fun game.

Also, found out that Dead Rising 2 is going to be on PS3, which now gives me the last reason I need to buy one. *grin!*

Dead Rising is such a fun game but I am personally unable to complete it. Why? I am a person that, when I go into a game, I attempt to do the most good possible. I don't like "leaving someone behind", and so when I save the twins in the toystore, only for one to get mobbed and killed, I get pissed off and turn off the system, and even try to restart from another save if I can to try and save both the next time.

When I found out saving everyone AND doing the main storyline would be pretty much impossible, I just stopped playing. Call me strange, but that is just how I am.

Same reason I have made Roy my enemy #1 in Fallout 3. I worked hard to find what I deemed the best action for everyone, only for him to kill all those people that trusted me. Innocent getting killed is like the worst thing ever in a game, little fake pixels people be damned.

It's not impossible... there is even a complete run or two on youtube for it. It's just really hard. A few tips:

- Always have at least one queen bug on you for emergencies.

- Give your fellow survivors guns whenever possible. They won't run out of ammo and they can usually hold their own for awhile using them.

- Stay the fuck out of the park, if possible. The convicts respawn constantly due to a bug.

- Abuse the hell out of the one-handed chainsaws you get from Adam when you beat him in Wonderland. Pick one up immediately after beating him, then save the hostage. Another one will respawn so you can have two on you. Be sure to get three certain books (I don't remember which, look for a guide) before you start using the chainsaws, as this will literally allow them to last for THOUSANDS of hits.

One minor complaint is that the game just shoots you right in with wham-bam-big explosions, ma'am. That's fine, but it jumps you right in without a tutorial and lets you cut loose. I would've preferred the game start out after waking up in the morgue and letting everything slowly unfold, instead. I hated when the "intro" would go to a video of you changing, getting claws, etc and I'm thinking "wait, now, how can do I that on my own!?" Like a good mystery book, I'd prefer if things had just unfolded slowly.
I just picked up Prototype on the PC, and I'm loving the fuck out of it. Though I don't disagree with your sentiment here, I just have one little nitpick. The game -does- start you out in the morgue, with very few powers, and a tutorial on how to use them (hold space to charge a jump, etc... though naturally you won't have a spacebar on the 360).

The tutorial level just starts after the intro level. If you pay attention to the story, the intro level actually takes place at the end of the game, and is showcasing all the neat powers you have (none of which you can do yet on your own). That's why it shows you shapechanging claws without telling you how. You can't yet. It then flashes back to the beginning, and leads you through the powers as you get them.

T

ThatNickGuy

No no, I understand that, Raven. But technically, the game starts with that intro. I understand that the whole game is, essentially, a flashback with Alex telling some soldier his story. I would have preferred the game just start with the morgue WITHOUT having that big explosion introduction, you know?

Overall, it's a REALLY minor complaint, as the game itself is a blast.

Still playing through Dead Rising. Now, I have to save Brad's life by getting medicine at the supermarket. I'd get some of those magazines that help keep my chainsaws running longer, but because of the text and resolution of the TV, I can't read what magazine does what.

I think today, I'm gonna try Saints Row 2. :D

T

ThatNickGuy

Beat Prototype the other day. Damn good game, though now that I've beaten it, I don't think it's one I'll go back to...at least for a few years. If I find it super cheap ($10), I'll likely buy it.

Played some more Dead Rising. After watching a near-perfect playthrough on YouTube (mostly of what I'd already played a bit past that), I managed to actually save quite a number of people. Arming them and ordering them to stand in certain parts seemed to help immensely.

Also played a bit of Saints Row 2 tonight. Now HERE'S a game I'll definitely be buying once I get a PS3 Slim. This is basically what I wanted from Grand Theft Auto before they started getting all serious and way too many stupid side missions (haven't played IV yet, but apparently, there's an option for Nico to watch TV? Seriously?). The side missions in this? FUN! I couldn't stop playing the septic truck missions, if only because I'd never played one before. The game is so wrong in so many ways (morally, I mean), but by god, it's fun.

If you are into first person shooters, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfar is a blast. I'd also recommend Call of Duty 5: Wold at war, but only for the Nazi zombies mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.