G-Force (disney movie, spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw it last night (Drive in - G-Force and Up for $15/car - cheap family entertainment at just over $1 per person per movie!).

It is very much a children's film, and a lightweight Disney film - not unlike their TV shows, and certainly not comparable to Beauty and the Beast or Aladdin, etc. It was a fun, enjoyable show, and it's fun to watch with kids, but it's not something I'm going to buy or go out of my way to watch again.

* Typical 10 year old humor (fart and poop jokes)
* "Do you like me check YES or NO" style romance silliness
* Good guys are able to convince villain that what he did is wrong and they all work together to fix it
* Villain gets his 'silly' comeuppance
* Bumbling gov't agents who get in the way of the real good guys get their comeuppance

It's a typical "Cute overlooked kid(s) saves world" movie, except replace kid(s) with guinea pigs. The plot wasn't bad, but it wasn't much more than Saturday morning fare.

There's nothing particularly great about the film that requires it be viewed on the big screen, so if you do want to see it, there's no reason to go to a theater - wait for DVD.

Technically it was very, very good - the CGI was good enough that there was never an issue about suspending one's disbelief. They looked like real guinea pigs, to the extent that walking, talking, smirking guinea pigs can anyway.

Up, of course, was awesome as usual.

-Adam

I kinda want to see it for the exact same reason as it's going to be a fun, mindless kids flick.

Of course, I'll just wait to rent it for free in a few months. :D

A

Aisaku

My thoughts exactly... But Gatchaman IS coming soon. As 'Battle of the Planets' I think.

We don't need such a literal translation. Gatchaman is too much like Gotcha-man, and it just means nothing in English. I hope they use better names and voices than what was used in the update shown a few years back.

Yes, there is much to discuss about this thoroughly mediocre movie that everyone will completely forget about in a month's time.

-- Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:44 am --

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Yes, there is much to discuss about this thoroughly mediocre movie that everyone will completely forget about in a month's time.
Even everyone that worked on it, except for when they keep getting royalty checks over the next 10 years. Then they'll be like, "oh. that movie."

L

Laurelai

A bullet I am lucky to dodge- my girl's summer camp is taking them to see this movie whew! I had to sit through Hotel For Dogs, so missing this one does not break my heart.

Charlie Dont Surf said:

[quote="Charlie Dont Surf":3p41ry9y]Yes, there is much to discuss about this thoroughly mediocre movie that everyone will completely forget about in a month's time.
Even everyone that worked on it, except for when they keep getting royalty checks over the next 10 years. Then they'll be like, "oh. that movie."[/quote:3p41ry9y]

DarkAudit said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:

[quote="Charlie Dont Surf":28eo9fau]Yes, there is much to discuss about this thoroughly mediocre movie that everyone will completely forget about in a month's time.
Even everyone that worked on it, except for when they keep getting royalty checks over the next 10 years. Then they'll be like, "oh. that movie."
[/quote:28eo9fau]

So, what's the cultural significance and lasting impact of Disney classic "G-Force"?

Charlie Dont Surf said:
So, what's the cultural significance and lasting impact of Disney classic "G-Force"?
stienman said:
It was a fun, enjoyable show, and it's fun to watch with kids, but it's not something I'm going to buy or go out of my way to watch again.
/thread

stieny, thanks for the review. :thumbsup:

L

Laurelai

Charlie Dont Surf said:
DarkAudit said:
[quote="Charlie Dont Surf":117i4bdp]Yes, there is much to discuss about this thoroughly mediocre movie that everyone will completely forget about in a month's time.

[quote="Charlie Dont Surf":117i4bdp]Yes, there is much to discuss about this thoroughly mediocre movie that everyone will completely forget about in a month's time.
[/quote:117i4bdp]

So, what's the cultural significance and lasting impact of Disney classic "G-Force"?[/quote:117i4bdp]

...because every cinematic endeavor has cultural significance and lasting impact- especially kid's movies.

Here's what happened:

stienman wanted to get back on the topic of discussion- GForce
I made fun of GForce as a discussion topic when the most praise it got in this very thread was that it was mindless family fun, since there's not much to discuss
DA posted a smiley mocking me
I invited him to prove me wrong

There's nothing wrong with stupid kids movies at all!

S

Steven Soderburgin

Laurelai said:
...because every cinematic endeavor has cultural significance and lasting impact- especially kid's movies.
I dislike this sort of statement, not because I think that every single cinematic endeavor must add to the cultural conversation, but because of the implication that "kid's movies" by definition cannot be as ambitious or are some how lesser.

L

Laurelai

Well, I would say that I would love for every kid's movie to be Up (which the other half got to take Butterbug to while I had to see Hotel for dogs *grumble*) but alas, it's just not that way. Kids love anything just about with animals, kids, food fights, and fart jokes (ugh).... pretty much in that order too.

Kissinger said:
because of the implication that "kid's movies" by definition cannot be as ambitious or are some how lesser.
I took the implication to be that "kids' movies" are usually lesser, not that they cannot be ambitious.

E

elph

Thanks for the review. It's about what I expected really.

But.. they're not gerbils.. they're guinea pigs.

Gerbil

Guinea Pig

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Here's what happened:

I made fun of GForce as a discussion topic when the most praise it got in this very thread was that it was mindless family fun, since there's not much to discuss

There's nothing to prove or disprove. I mock because you're you.

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Here's what happened:

I don't think anyone disagrees that the movie is utterly mindless, but it just seems like the sort of thing that doesn't really need to be said. We're all here with the knowledge that G-Force has pretty much no cultural worth whatsoever.

I interpreted the yawning smiley as acknowledgment of that fact: You were stating the obvious, perhaps something so obvious it didn't need to be said. It wasn't a disagreement, but a jab at you for feeling the need to verbalize it.

EDIT:

DarkAudit said:
Or there's also that.

Z

Zarvox

DarkAudit said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
Here's what happened:

Hell, I do that too – and I barely post!

E

elph

stienman said:
elph said:
Thanks for the review. It's about what I expected really.

But.. they're not gerbils.. they're guinea pigs.
I have no idea what you're talking about.

:paranoid:

-Adam
doh! I knew I should'a quoted you!

S

Steven Soderburgin

Sweet, so now this thread is about discussing what we're discussing in the thread and whether there is, in fact, anything at all to discuss. Awesome work, everyone.

I'm gonna have to side with Charlie on this one. Children's movies need to be more like:

The Birth Of A Nation (1915)
Starring: Lillian Gish, Mae Marsh
Director: D.W. Griffith
First feature-length silent film is a sweeping Civil War drama/epic, aka The Clansman. Placed in historical context, it's a landmark cinematic, technological achievement (with now-familiar techniques of cross-cutting, the flash-back, the close-up, and deep focus), though offensive due to its racism, dated views and stereotypes, and glorification of the KKK. D. W. Griffith's film tells the interwoven story of two families, one Northern and one Southern, confronting the Civil War and Reconstruction periods. The Camerons, headed by "Little Colonel" Ben Cameron, and the Stonemans, headed by politician Austin Stoneman, find themselves on opposite sides of the battle lines when War comes. The Civil War exacts a personal toll on both families, only to be followed by the equally destructive Reconstruction period. Griffith links the consequences of the war on their lives with the formation of the Ku Klux Klan.

Great films are great films regardless of the age. If this movie were in the theater today I'd be bringing my son and his friends to it.

I think I'll play this at my son's birthday party:

Broken Blossoms (1919)
Starring: Lillian Gish, Richard Barthelmess, Donald Crisp
Director: D.W. Griffith
An early silent film, a classic melodrama, poignantly effective in its almost barren simplicity, with evocative cinematography by Billy Bitzer. A poor Chinese immigrant (Barthelmess) and abused teenager (Gish) in London's squalid, foggy Limehouse district form a fragile bond in this touching, moving silent classic. The gentle, pacifistic Chinaman struggles to free the woman he loves - an abused waifish girl living in the poor East End district of London, from her violent, drunken, prize-fighting father (Crisp). Even when the Chinese man shelters and hides her by dressing her up in Oriental costumes, his desire to help her proves useless in the face of her father's continued brutality.

Then we can have a round table discussion on the attributes of this film. Fuck Disney and their mindless dribble.

S

Steven Soderburgin

I'd call you out on your ridiculous straw man, there, Steve, but god damn who fucking cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.