FUCK apple

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I decided to re-format my hard drive only to find out that once you delete your itunes music, they do not give you the option to re-download it. That is some fucking bullshit.

Yeah, I bought a season of a show on Itunes once only to have some cataclysmic shit go down before I had a chance to watch it. After everything is reinstalled and after my reformat I found out there's no redownloading anything for free.

I completely agree. Fuck Apple.

smurf apple

You wiped your HD and didn't back up your media?
I had some stuff get deleted that I had just downloaded (meaning no backup yet since it had just downloaded). I wrote their iTunes help and they set it up to re-download for free. Try emailing them. Tell them something happened and you had to reformat, etc, etc, and pray they don't just ask you why you didn't back it up.

But I have to ask... why did you wipe your hd without backing up? :bush: That's crazy.

smurf apple

This is my big complaint with iTunes. Don't get me wrong, I use it all the time, but I don't see why Apple can't keep simple records to verify purchases like this. It would go a long way to earning some serious customer loyalty and support.

smurf apple

Tress said:
This is my big complaint with iTunes. Don't get me wrong, I use it all the time, but I don't see why Apple can't keep simple records to verify purchases like this. It would go a long way to earning some serious customer loyalty and support.
They do, you can go look at your purchase history. I'm guessing they just don't think it's their problem if you delete what you bought. (Yup, just looked it up. Official policy is one download per purchase and they say it's your responsibility to back up your files)
If you have your stuff on an iPod you can get it all back from it using a program like iDump (I think that's what it's called). I did a little googling and it seems that like me, some people have gotten their deleted files back by simply emailing the iTunes folks. It's worth trying, just don't tell them you wiped your stuff with no backup.
Here's what you do:
Go to Store in the menu, then View My Account, click Purchase History. Click Report a Problem and then fill the stuff in. (Unless you have stuff on your iPod. Then you are fine)

smurf apple

Well, I did luck out. I just plugged in my backup drive and it does have all my itunes stuff on in, but I still think it's fucktarded that you can't re-download your purchases. I can't think of any other digital distribution media that doesn't let you re-download what you've purchased.

smurf apple

Bowielee said:
Well, I did luck out. I just plugged in my backup drive and it does have all my itunes stuff on in, but I still think it's fucktarded that you can't re-download your purchases. I can't think of any other digital distribution media that doesn't let you re-download what you've purchased.
As far as I know neither Amazon nor iTunes allows redownloading, at least not without a sob story (like in my case).
Glad you had your stuff backed up, that always makes life easier. I've had to learn the hard way to many times before I got an auto backup program. Why did you wipe it without making a backup though? Talk about living dangerously... :Leyla:

smurf apple

Espy said:
Bowielee said:
Glad you had your stuff backed up, that always makes life easier. I've had to learn the hard way to many times before I got an auto backup program. Why did you wipe it without making a backup though? Talk about living dangerously... :Leyla:
I did make a backup, that's why I still have my stuff. I didn't think I copied my music folder over, though. Luckily, I was wrong.

Unfortunately, I have lost at least 4 apps because I hadn't synced my ipod for a while.

smurf apple

Bowielee said:
I agree. They keep enough tabs on every song so that they know when you've hit your "authorized computer" limit, but you can't download it again to the same authorized computer?

That's some bullshit right there. Glad Xbox Live doesn't work that way.

J

JCM

smurf apple

ZenMonkey said:
Bowielee said:
I agree. They keep enough tabs on every song so that they know when you've hit your "authorized computer" limit, but you can't download it again to the same authorized computer?

They do allow you to re-download.

Its just a matter of emailing them saying that your HD was deleted by (insert type of accident), then they´ll tell you how to do it. Dont tell them you deleted everything and didnt backup.

smurf apple

JCM said:
ZenMonkey said:
Bowielee said:

They do allow you to re-download.

Its just a matter of emailing them saying that your HD was deleted by (insert type of accident), then they´ll tell you how to do it. Dont tell them you deleted everything and didnt backup.
Yup. Both Apple and Amazon do this but if you contact them you are pretty likely to get your stuff back.

smurf apple

Shegokigo said:
The point is: That step shouldn't be necessary at all. :slywink:
You are right. Thats what back-ups are for. :slywink:

But really, aside from that (which if you aren't backing up your stuff... well... :blue: ) I don't know why Apple and Amazon don't allow it, they really should. I assume it must be a record company thing... it doesn't seem like a smart business practice.

Back-up or not, imagine losing everything to a virus/power outage.

Why should you have to take extra steps to recover your own files?

C

Chibibar

well.. consider you have to "authorize" your PC with iTunes (you still have to do that right? my wife takes care of my itunes need now-a-days) they have a list of stuff you purchases, they (apple) should let you download them in case anything gone wrong. just like STEAM! ;)

smurf apple

What really annoys me is that those purchases are tied to a specific account, which is tied to a specific computer. If Steam can manage to realize that "Person A purchased Game B, They can download it at any time if they sign in to their account" why can't Itunes. Especially because they tout themselves as being the simple, user friendly option.

Chibibar said:
well.. consider you have to "authorize" your PC with iTunes (you still have to do that right? my wife takes care of my itunes need now-a-days) they have a list of stuff you purchases, they (apple) should let you download them in case anything gone wrong. just like STEAM! ;)
Bowielee said:
What really annoys me is that those purchases are tied to a specific account, which is tied to a specific computer. If Steam can manage to realize that "Person A purchased Game B, They can download it at any time if they sign in to their account" why can't Itunes. Especially because they tout themselves as being the simple, user friendly option.
:uhhuh: :thumbsup:

C

Chibibar

Shegokigo said:
Chibibar said:
Bowielee said:
:uhhuh: :thumbsup:
Totally agree!!! :)

Hmmm... if you purchased the songs and can prove it would they be able to do anything if you re-obtained them from other sources?!

smurf apple

Bowielee said:
I agree to an extent, I assume, since this seems to be something that neither Apple nor Amazon allow (the other big online distributor, Walmart, gives you 3 months to re-download. After that you are SOL) that it has to do with the record companies, not the actual online distributor, although I wouldn't put it past Apple and Amazon to want you to have to pay for it again...
With the exception though that, if you google around you see that people who had "cataclysmic" stuff happen (including myself) have had great success in getting their stuff replaced by both Apple and Amazon, despite them both saying that you only get one download of your purchased content.
As for the user friendly thing? Well, I seem to recall that every now and then when I purchase stuff through iTunes it asks me if I want to back up my purchases. That's pretty straightforward.

Shegokigo said:
Back-up or not, imagine losing everything to a virus/power outage.

Why should you have to take extra steps to recover your own files?
I agree, it sucks when something like that happens but I hardly see backing up your stuff as an "extra step". It's computer basics 101. Never trust someone else to take care of your files.

smurf apple

Espy said:
I agree, it sucks when something like that happens but I hardly see backing up your stuff as an "extra step". It's computer basics 101. Never trust someone else to take care of your files.
So everytime I download a song I should put it on a backup? Every video? Every text file?

Besides I wasn't talking about backing up your info as the extra step. I mean having to email a company just to re-download something you already own.

J

JCM

smurf apple

Espy said:
JCM said:
Yup. Both Apple and Amazon do this but if you contact them you are pretty likely to get your stuff back.
Espy said:
Bowielee said:
I agree to an extent, I assume, since this seems to be something that neither Apple nor Amazon allow (the other big online distributor, Walmart, gives you 3 months to re-download. After that you are SOL) that it has to do with the record companies, not the actual online distributor, although I wouldn't put it past Apple and Amazon to want you to have to pay for it again...
With the exception though that, if you google around you see that people who had "cataclysmic" stuff happen (including myself) have had great success in getting their stuff replaced by both Apple and Amazon, despite them both saying that you only get one download of your purchased content.
As for the user friendly thing? Well, I seem to recall that every now and then when I purchase stuff through iTunes it asks me if I want to back up my purchases. That's pretty straightforward.
This.

I´ll take Apple´s policies over WallMart anyday.
Bowielee said:
Werent you for amazon deleting stuff from your computer (kindle) without telling you or asking permission?

smurf apple

JCM said:
Bowielee said:
Werent you for amazon deleting stuff from your computer (kindle) without telling you or asking permission?
If Apple were refunding me my money, I wouldn't have a problem with this. Sorry, bucko, 2 completely different situations.

In the case of the Kindle thing, the customers got their money back, so they LOST NOTHING.

smurf apple

Shegokigo said:
Espy said:
So everytime I download a song I should put it on a backup? Every video? Every text file?
Yes. Every time you BUY a file, whether it be songs or software the smart and responsible thing to do is to back them up. It's not rocket science. We all use computers here and we all know crap happens, backing up purchases is a safe and smart thing to do.
Shegokigo said:
Besides I wasn't talking about backing up your info as the extra step. I mean having to email a company just to re-download something you already own.
Gotcha. Yes, that is annoying but it seems to be something the record companies have demanded, I suppose in an effort (silly though it is) to stop people from downloading multiple copies of a song.

Bowielee said:
If Apple were refunding me my money, I wouldn't have a problem with this. Sorry, bucko, 2 completely different situations.

In the case of the Kindle thing, the customers got their money back, so they LOST NOTHING.
Yeah, SUPER different situations. If the USER deletes his files then whines about not getting refunded his money I have a big ol' slap on the head right here for 'em. :slap:

smurf apple

Espy said:
Gotcha. Yes, that is annoying but it seems to be something the record companies have demanded, I suppose in an effort (silly though it is) to stop people from downloading multiple copies of a song.
I don't think it's required by the record companies, because Napster will allow you to re-download music.

J

JCM

smurf apple

Bowielee said:
JCM said:
Bowielee said:
So if I delete any shit I sold you from your computer, without asking you for permission, then giving you money = Good

You having to email Apple to re-download all your stuff because you unticked the backup option and formatted = Bad?
In the case of the Kindle thing, the customers got their money back, so they LOST NOTHING
Of course people didnt lose anything, except their privacy when a company can freely delete what it wants from your computer without telling you. Oh, and the time wasted reading a book which suddenly isnt there anymore, and Amazon (a great company, it seems, by your standards) deleted it, without permission, and without offering a legal replacement/option to aquire the book.

Just trying to understand your confusing standards, defending terrible DRM like Steam and Amazon´s, and complaining over having to send Apple an email. :heythere:

smurf apple

JCM said:
Bowielee said:
JCM said:
Bowielee said:

So if I delete any poop I sold you from your computer, without asking you for permission, then giving you money = Good

You having to email Apple to re-download all your stuff because you unticked the backup option and formatted = Bad?

Of course people didnt lose anything, except their privacy when a company can freely delete what it wants from your computer without telling you. :heythere:
First of all, Kindle =/= computer. It's more analogue to an Ipod than a PC.

Secondly, Yes, if Apple were to delete songs off my ipod due to some issue with regulation, as long as they reimbursed me for the money I gave them to purchase the song, I have no issue.

You're trying to equate apples to oranges.

J

JCM

Are you comparing songs to a book?

Just trying to understand your standards, one side I have you defending Steam´s "must activate online" offline mode, or Amazon´s violating your privacy by deleting stuff from your computer without asking for your permission and wasting your time by not offering a legal option for the book you were reading and now no longer have.

On the other side, youre bitching because you have to send Apple an email to get back songs you unticked the "backup" option and formatted a PC.

Weird standards.
Espy said:
Bowielee said:

Yeah, SUPER different situations. If the USER deletes his files then whines about not getting refunded his money I have a big ol' slap on the head right here for 'em. :slap:
My thoughts, exactly.

smurf apple

JCM said:
Just trying to understand your confusing standards, defending terrible DRM like Steam and Amazon´s, and complaining over having to send Apple an email. :heythere:
I can tell you right now, DRM and STEAM have nothing to do with each other.

J

JCM

smurf apple

Shegokigo said:
JCM said:
Authorising a game online is a form of DRM. Even an 8-year old (aka my brother) knows that.

smurf apple

JCM said:
Shegokigo said:
JCM said:
Authorising a game online is a form of DRM. Even an 8-year old (aka my brother) knows that.
And Steam allows me to re-download my software if I reformat my hard drive. I have a problem seeing where my points are disseperate.

Also, using that logic, then this site has DRM, because you can't access it unless you're online.

smurf apple

JCM said:
Shegokigo said:
JCM said:
Steam needs you to get online to download the game, but have you heard of offline mode?

smurf apple

Espy said:
The laymen does not really back up files, only geeky type people like us on these forums do.

I don't know but maybe one or two normal everday people who back up their music, videos, pictures and thats because I told those two...

People just don't think about it, they don't they their hard drive is going to fail, they don't think the lightning storm is going to fry everything, they don't think that virus from that porn site would screw everything up... Plus most normal computer users I see are pretty dumb, like probably couldn't even copy and paste to back stuff up or know a program to use.

Oh and when it asks you to back up your files when you purchase shit its always at the worst time... I usually buy songs like 5 minutes before im leaving because I am in the mood to listen to it, and its like "Herro user would you like to back up your 30 gigs on music and video onto 7-8 DVDs right now?"

Status
Not open for further replies.