Export thread

Formula One

mikerc

mikerc

Do we not have a thread for this? Ah, well...

Williams team - at least things can't get any worse

Baku - hold my beer.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Do we not have a thread for this? Ah, well...

Williams team - at least things can't get any worse

Baku - hold my beer.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Well-known VR racing YouTuber takes a 1968 Matra around the old Monaco street circuit.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Yeah, I suck at Monaco. Even on a difficulty setting that lets me lap every car within 10 minutes on a track like China or Turkey, I suck at Monaco.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Canada 2012. Maldonado gonna Maldonado.

jwhouk

jwhouk

How many IndyCar and NASCAR drivers would have just spun and not missed a beat?

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

How many IndyCar and NASCAR drivers would have just spun and not missed a beat?
But why would they bother? It's the last lap of a qualifying session, spinning out at all kills any chance of a decent time.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

RIP Anthoine Hubert. Killed in a Formula 2 event at Spa Saturday. crashed into the barriers, spun back onto the track, and was broadsided at speed. :(

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I posted elsewhere the weekend turned weird when Hamilton went off in FP3. This isn't what I meant. :(

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I've seen the crash video, unfortunately, from several angles. What gets me the most, though, is the video of Lewis giving his interview after FP3, seeing Hubert's accident on the big screen, and just cutting it off and looking sick. Luckily, my eyes aren't good enough, even with my glasses, to have seen some of the details of the accident being discussed on reddit.
He wasn't the only one. Other F1 drivers doing interviews at the same time reacted more or less the same way.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I'm sure. My brain really struggles to grasp just how fast these cars are going, but the last time I even heard of someone's car being torn in half and destroyed that badly was Jim Clark's fatal wreck, and Hubert's car was completely torn to shreds.
Every May, I'll check out old Indy 500 videos on YouTube. Inevitably I'll get to 1973 and Swede Savage's horrible crash. The announcers had a hard time to pick out which part of the car he was in when it first happened.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Formula 3 at Monza this morning. It nearly happened again. This time the driver walked away.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Yeesh, I wash going to say something like "eh, people are upside down semi-frequently," but then they got the actual shots from race control, and just damn.
Twitter is full of other drivers this morning going essentially "fuck sausage kerbs".

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Juan Manuel Correa, the other driver involved in last week's crash in Belgium, has taken a turn for the worse and is now in a medically induced coma.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

Was just reading on Motorsport.com that they delayed the F1 practice to get rid of that sausage curb at Monza that caused that flip. Hopefully all of them get removed all over because that was a scary flip.

Edit: also, thank goodness they put in the "halo" around the driver's head, otherwise that might have been a different outcome.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Any other era and we'd be talking about a dead man...

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

Formula 3 at Monza this morning. It nearly happened again. This time the driver walked away.

Update on the driver - https://www.motorsport.com/fia-form...ws/peroni-accident-monza-knocked-out/4542267/

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Roger Penske has bought the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Indycar from Tony George and the Hulman family.

Gared

Gared

I swear to god that F1TV is trolling everyone. No one can possibly be that inept at their jobs naturally. They have to be scamming people.

Gared

Gared

@LordRendar - After seven months of having nothing to do except upgrade their complete and utter shit-tier service, after holding on to the money of everyone who subscribed to F1TV Pro and Access back in March and April, thinking there was going to be a normal racing season; at yesterday's season opening Grand Prix, F1TV Pro completely and utterly shat the bed. The stream didn't even start until lap 13, and it was their emergency backup 720p 50fps stream instead of the normal 1080p 25fps stream. Half of the onboard cameras didn't work throughout the race (intermittently), what few pre-show events there were went unstreamed, and a LOT of people were reporting really abysmal picture quality during the stream. Then, for the first 12 or so hours that the replay was up, it could be played on a desktop browser, but not the app with any reliability, and even then you couldn't stream that replay to a Chromecast because the audio would cut out immediately.

Add in the fact that F1TV took the money of a whole lot of German fans for service that they're now not legally able to provide due to contractual obligations and the fact that they're now refusing to refund said German fans and you have a LOT of ill-will. People are talking about giving up on the sport after 30 years of watching - not giving up watching the sport on F1 TV, giving up watching the sport.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Well, it is Formula One. I don't think it's really worth watching in the first place...

(runs for cover)

Gared

Gared

Well, it is Formula One. I don't think it's really worth watching in the first place...

(runs for cover)
That's cool, I'm not a huge fan watching of baseball.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

(runs for cover)
You're just salty over the crap Phoenix race. :p

(Ya freakin' transplant.)

mikerc

mikerc

Alonso is apparently back in F1 & driving for Renault next year. Meh, he's not the driver he used to be & Renault aren't a top team anymore so he's not going to get that 3rd F1 championship he wants.

He'll pick up a few points finishes but I'd be surprised if he even makes a podium let alone wins a race.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Bob Varsha has insight on why Ferrari is having the problems they are now.

Gared

Gared

Does he cover the fuel-sensor wire harness loop controversy from last year? Because that one was awesome.

Gared

Gared

Oh look, FP3. Good news is I don't have to wake up ass early to watch it. Bad news is, I'm still awake watching cops and feds riot through Portland.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Here's a channel for when you need to decompress from all of that.

Gared

Gared

Here's a channel for when you need to decompress from all of that.
Thanks.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Some more F1 entertainment from the BBC legend.

mikerc

mikerc

Well, that's something I've never seen before. Max Verstappen crashes his car 20 mins before the race starts.

Gared

Gared

Racing Point... whoops.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

A new Concorde agreement has been signed. All 10 teams commit through 2025.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

My theory that the odds of a girl doing something better than you is 1:1 has more evidence. Open wheel has Juju Noda. Now there's this.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

@blotsfan Which part? Noda is a 14 year old Japanese girl facing in Europe.

The Chloe is faster than you references this famous clip.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I thought I was in a politics thread. I know nothing about F1. My b

mikerc

mikerc

Now THAT'S a race! I wonder if anyone was predicting a Gasly, Sainz, Stroll podium.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

:facepalm:

mikerc

mikerc

Jesus that was a scary crash at the start of the Bahrain GP. Romain Grosjean's car was literally torn in half and exploded after crashing into the barrier. How he walked away from that I have no idea.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I got home between the first OMG tweets and the first replays. Holy shit only begins to describe it.

mikerc

mikerc

Even knowing Grosjean survived that rewatching the crash I still have the initial reaction of thinking that there's no way he's getting out alive.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Unavailable in USA. But I've seen plenty others on reddit.

--Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Grosjean due to be discharged from the hospital Tuesday. Amazing.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

Here's a fairly detailed writeup with pictures about how the safety features worked/stayed intact in that crash... Thank goodness for all of them.

Gared

Gared

I was amazed that Grojean walked away from that crash the way he did. It was a sheer marvel of engineering and safety standards, and will hopefully silence the complaints about the halo making cars look bad for any but the biggest of mouth breathers. That being said, props to George - gets to take Lewis' seat at Sakhir.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Well this is interesting...

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

Interview with Grosjean about his escape...

Sara_2814

Sara_2814

0B917D30-CB55-484A-9549-C2BF94AA39A3.png

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

RIP Murray Walker. :(

mikerc

mikerc

Nearly 2 decades after he retired & he's still the voice of F1 in my head. Even his occasional "Murray-isms" were clearly down to his sheer love for the sport leading to his mouth temporarily outpacing his brain.

Legend.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

More or less fits in here.

FUCK CANCER.

RIP the Queen of the Nordschlife, Sabine Schmitz. If you ever saw her on Top Gear, you could just feel the joy in what she did. :(

Sara_2814

Sara_2814

More or less fits in here.

FUCK CANCER.

RIP the Queen of the Nordschlife, Sabine Schmitz. If you ever saw her on Top Gear, you could just feel the joy in what she did. :(
OMG, no! I'm crying now. She was definitely a role model for women in motorsports. When I started in RX/AX and needed to build confidence, I would try to channel my inner Sabine (and I still do!). She had amazing confidence and, yeah, a lot of joy.
:(

mikerc

mikerc

Ex F1 boss Max Mosley has died of cancer at 81. There were lots of reasons to criticise him while he was alive & 2 reasons to praise him
1) He began Formula 1's big push to be safer after Senna & Ratzenberger were killed at the 1994 San Marino GP
2) He went to Ratzenberger's funeral when everyone else went to Senna's. Ratzenberger deserved to have someone from the FIA there so Mosley made sure he did.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

So. Baku.

LeClerc makes up for Monaco by taking pole. With a little unintentional help from his teammate Sainz, who smooshes *his* car in the last minute of qualifying. The fifth crash and fourth red flag of the session.

Today is going to be an absolute mess. Get your popcorn ready, folks.

mikerc

mikerc

Pirelli have got a lot of explaining to do.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

HUGE, if true...

mikerc

mikerc

HUGE, if true...
McLaren says it's not true. Although that is just denying that Audi have bought the whole McLaren Group, which still leaves the possibility of some sort of deal being done concerning the F1 team specifically. Either Audi buying McLaren F1 or (more likely I think) a partnership with Audi replacing Mercedes as McLarens engine supplier.

mikerc

mikerc

Verstappen's onboard camera footage finally released.

There's not a lot of steering angle on there until after he's pushed Hamilton well wide.

mikerc

mikerc

There's multi car pile ups & then there's Macau...

mikerc

mikerc

RIP Sir Frank Williams founder & former team principal of the Williams F1 team. They may have fallen on hard times since their peak in the 1980s/90s but they are still either the 4th (based on total race wins or drivers championships in one of their cars) or 2nd (based on constructors championships) most successful team in the history of the sport.

And he achieved most of his success after breaking his neck in a car crash in 1986 spending the rest of his life as a paraplegic.

mikerc

mikerc

Jesus that was a scary crash at the start of the Bahrain GP. Romain Grosjean's car was literally torn in half and exploded after crashing into the barrier. How he walked away from that I have no idea.
One year on from the crash Romain showing the damage to his hands. Right hand doesn't look bad.

Left one is :Leyla:

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Meanwhile in Australia, Bathurst gonna Bathurst...

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Nani the F!?

Celt Z

Celt Z

That seemed like some straight-up bullshit this morning.

jwhouk

jwhouk

...The NASCAR (kinda) fan in me reads about that controversy and laughs heartily.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Protest denied.

Did we have fusterclucks on a daily basis like this when Charlie Whiting (RIP) was race director?

mikerc

mikerc

Again, fuck sausage kerbs.

mikerc

mikerc

The Halo remains one of the best things to happen to F1 in years.

Zhou has been taken to hospital for a check up, but seems to be OK.

mikerc

mikerc

Sebastian Vettel to retire from F1 at the end of the season. A few years ago I'd have been glad to see the back of him, now he seems like one of the most chill drivers on the grid & I'm always hoping for him to do well. I continue if it was him moving away from a team expected to challenge for the title that led him to mellow out of it he just wasn't treated fairly by the media.

Almost gives one hope for Max not really being a shiny little bitch. Well, maybe not.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Soooooooooooooo... Hamilton is racing for Ferrari now, it seems. What little I know about this is through my son and his reaction; excitement, confusion, disappointment to lose Carlos Sainz.

mikerc

mikerc

Soooooooooooooo... Hamilton is racing for Ferrari now, it seems. What little I know about this is through my son and his reaction; excitement, confusion, disappointment to lose Carlos Sainz.
For clarification Hamilton isn't driving for Ferrari yet. He'll still be driving for Mercedes in the 2024 season, but has signed a contract with Ferrari for the 2025 season.

So Not-So-Little-These-Days-I-Hear'Z has still got another year of Sainz to go.

Celt Z

Celt Z

For clarification Hamilton isn't driving for Ferrari yet. He'll still be driving for Mercedes in the 2024 season, but has signed a contract with Ferrari for the 2025 season.

So Not-So-Little-These-Days-I-Hear'Z has still got another year of Sainz to go.
Yeah, I should have mentioned that part in my first post. Oops!

Meanwhile, in a funny coincidence, this past fall/winter we discovered Puma makes motorsport branded clothing (...I know, I'm late to all this). Less-Li'l Z ended up getting a BMW hoodie and Ferrari (his fav team) sneakers for Christmas. I was trying to get him something Mercedes because of Hamilton, but now it's worked out in my favor!