Export thread

First shot of Thor 2011

Frank

Frankie Williamson

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2010/04/the_first_picture_from_thor_looks_verily_good.php

Looks pretty fucking good. At least in this poorly lit close-up.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

:bush: They actually got the costume right... then again Marvel Productions does damn good work so I shouldn't be that surprised. Very much looking forward to this.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Neato. I'm looking forward to seeing this with my dad. He loves Thor!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

yeah, I am glad he's not wearing the standard leather jump suit.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I may or may not have just peed a little from excitement.

Baerdog

Baerdog

This one picture has me more excited for Thor than an entire trailer made me for Jonah Hex.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Needs longer hair...

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Can't see Daddy Kirk's face very well, but shit, he looks a buttload more like Thor than I thought he would.

Shannow

Shannow

What, no shot of the Destroyer armor?

Baerdog

Baerdog

That armor looks like its ready to destroy some fools.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

He looks great, to be sure, but I don't think he's even close to buff enough. Thor should be muscular enough to put guys in muscle magazines to shame. He's a god, after all.

Still, if they do him like a combination of Ultimate Thor in regular Thor's armour, then I think it'll be okay.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

He looks great, to be sure, but I don't think he's even close to buff enough. Thor should be muscular enough to put guys in muscle magazines to shame. He's a god, after all..
Why? Why would Thor need to be insanely buff?

They should just shoot for the best Thor art.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Huh, I didn't even know Thor wore a costume. I thought he just sorta went around with a cape, a winged helmet, and some decency-protecting underpants, like a hammer-wielding Leonidas.

phil

phil

I think it's going to be less about the costume and more about the performance and the presence that the actor brings and the director can set. It's similar to superman to me, because honestly I think both Superman and Thor look fucking ridiculous. Despite that they look silly, they still get a lot of respect because of the power that they command and how they carry themselves.

wana10

i like the costume, but the metal parts look plasticy and that detracts from it in my opinion. I also wanna see the helmet...

ElJuski

ElJuski

ha god, let the nerd speculation / jerk off / rant fest begin...and it's only one pic. I felt the universe shudder this morning, and this must be it. Nothing to excite me until there's a trailer.

Covar

Covar

He looks great, to be sure, but I don't think he's even close to buff enough. Thor should be muscular enough to put guys in muscle magazines to shame. He's a god, after all.
Yea but they probably wanted someone who could, you know, act.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

ha god, let the nerd speculation / jerk off / rant fest begin...and it's only one pic. I felt the universe shudder this morning, and this must be it. Nothing to excite me until there's a trailer.

Trying wayyyy too hard there Juski.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Whose trying? The going will get real good when the trailer hits.

Espy

Espy

What is it with the recent smattering of people poo-pooing every discussion about something that gets people excited? Did someone put emo in the water?

BTW, pic looks pretty cool. Can't wait to see a trailer.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Because poo-pooing the analysis of a single photograph is pretty damn funny :)

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

It's just Juski trying to pretend to be Chaz and failing really hard. Not much else Espy.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

What is it with the recent smattering of people poo-pooing every discussion about something that gets people excited? Did someone put emo in the water?

BTW, pic looks pretty cool. Can't wait to see a trailer.
Whaddya think this is, a board full of nerds or something

Steve

Steve

I agree with Shego, Marvel Productions have not failed me yet.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

You mean Marvel Studios.

Marvel Productions was their TV & Animation house that, among other things, did all their cartoons up until the mid-90s Spider-Man show, Fraggle Rock, and Tranformers: The Movie before going bankrupt in the late 90s.

ElJuski

ElJuski

It's just Juski trying to pretend to be Chaz and failing really hard. Not much else Espy.
I dunno I think you're annoyed :p :p :p

Do you think Thor should have more or less facial hair watcha guys think

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I'm laughing actually. It's funny to watch you idolize and imitate your superiors. :slywink:

@Li3n

@Li3n

NO... i was nowhere near the HF water supply last at 5:15 am last Thursday... i was at home alone, sleeping...

Element 117

Are we letting spiderman3 slide because it was a coproduction? Cause that dance emo Parker scene ruined it for me.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Are we letting spiderman3 slide because it was a coproduction? Cause that dance emo Parker scene ruined it for me.[/QUOTE]

Spider-Man franchise is all Sony Pictures.

Element 117

Are we letting spiderman3 slide because it was a coproduction? Cause that dance emo Parker scene ruined it for me.[/QUOTE]

Spider-Man franchise is all Sony Pictures.[/QUOTE]

distribution wise yes, but check:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man_3
Studio Marvel Studios
Distributed by Columbia Pictures
So I mean, It's not like Marvel was hands off.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Oof, I am both corrected and saddened.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Marvel Productions was their TV & Animation house that, among other things, did all their cartoons up until the mid-90s Spider-Man show, Fraggle Rock, and Tranformers: The Movie before going bankrupt in the late 90s.
90's Spider-Man, Transformers movie, AND fraggle rock? How the hell did such awesome go bankrupt?

-This is not sarcasm.

Covar

Covar

Clone Saga.

That story sucked so hard it had a blast radius.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Clone Saga.

That story sucked so hard it had a blast radius.
Though you present no evidence, your theory is compelling. :hmmm:

Because that's how hard the Clone Saga sucked. :mad:

Rubicon

Huh, I didn't even know Thor wore a costume. I thought he just sorta went around with a cape, a winged helmet, and some decency-protecting underpants, like a hammer-wielding Leonidas.
heh, ok I lol'd, hard. just the mental image of that is hilarious..

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

heh, ok I lol'd, hard. just the mental image of that is hilarious..[/QUOTE]
This. Is. ASGARD!

@Li3n

@Li3n

This. Is. ASSGARD!
All better....

Norris

Norris

Huh. Stay after the credits for Iron Man 2. Nothing too over the top but...FORESHADOWING.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Huh. Stay after the credits for Iron Man 2. Nothing too over the top but...FORESHADOWING.
When i went the only other person i went with (out of 14) that would have gotten it already read spoilers... man, am i glad i didn't, that was awesome while being understated.

Troll

Troll

A new shot featuring Anthony Hopkins as Odin (with Thor and Loki to the left and right, respectively):

I got this from an article that can be found here.

Why is it everything thing I hear/see about this movie makes it me dread it that much more? Those costumes look cheesy as hell. I'm losing hope that this movie will even be entertaining, much less good.

General Specific

General Specific

Dear Gods :)smug:) that looks terrible. What is wrong with putting them in steel armor and wrapping them up in furs? You'd think Kenneth Branagh of all people would know how to pull off period costume. Thor looks to be ok, but Odin and Loki are just corny as all hell. And the article says the film will be made 3D in post production.. terrific. Looks like I'll be skipping Thor.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Dear Gods :)smug:) that looks terrible. What is wrong with putting them in steel armor and wrapping them up in furs? You'd think Kenneth Branagh of all people would know how to pull off period costume. Thor looks to be ok, but Odin and Loki are just corny as all hell. And the article says the film will be made 3D in post production.. terrific. Looks like I'll be skipping Thor.
Wow. Really? You're going to skip a movie based off of one picture and it being in 3D? You can still see it in 2D. There's judging early, and there's judging way too early, dude. A good director, what looks to be a decent cast so far, and the pretty decent track record of the other Avengers movies up to this point should at least give some leeway here.

Also, the more traditional look of Thor and the Asgardians (furs, older armor styles, etc) is fairly recent. For the majority of the characters' existence the look you see in that shot is probably more accurate. Also, the traditional look really wouldn't fit in with the styles of the other Avengers movies we've seen so far, considering they all have to mesh together as an ensemble pretty soon.

Cajungal

Cajungal

'Cheesy' never kept me away from a superhero movie.

Calleja

Calleja

Wow. Really? You're going to skip a movie based off of one picture and it being in 3D? You can still see it in 2D. There's judging early, and there's judging way too early, dude.
Thank you! I was about to say something of the sort but it ended up being too passive agressive so I aborted it. But yeah, seriously.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Cajungal said:
'Cheesy' never kept me away from a superhero movie.
Nope, I never did anything of the sort.

Calleja

Calleja

haha, I love it when he does that.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I know! :D Works every time!

Iaculus

Could have used something other than the gold tinfoil eyepatch, though.

R

Raemon777

Could have used something other than the gold tinfoil eyepatch, though.
This is a true statement.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

A photograph snapped of characters in costume, rarely looks as good as it will through the 'film' camera lens with proper lighting.

Espy

Espy

A photograph snapped of characters in costume, rarely looks as good as it will through the 'film' camera lens with proper lighting.
Yeah, I can't think of a comic book costume outside of maybe the spidey ones that DIDN'T look stupid in a still photo.

Calleja

Calleja

The Iron Man ones

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Without the suspension of disbelief provided by the story background, I think almost every sci-fi/super-hero photo taken and displayed as stand alone looks silly.

Still looks to be a decent movie, cheesy not withstanding

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

haha, I love it when he does that.
I know! :D Works every time!
Thank you, thank you! I'll be here all night! And don't forget to tip your waitstaff! :biggrin:

Norris

Norris

Why is it everything thing I hear/see about this movie makes it me dread it that much more? Those costumes look cheesy as hell. I'm losing hope that this movie will even be entertaining, much less good.
I'm gonna have to agree to disagree with you on that sir, as it looks exactly as I was expecting and like what we were told it would be: aliens that have qualities that would be worshiped as gods., technology passing for magic.

Troll

Troll

I'm gonna have to agree to disagree with you on that sir, as it looks exactly as I was expecting and like what we were told it would be: aliens that have qualities that would be worshiped as gods., technology passing for magic.[/QUOTE]

Well, I think that's the problem then. I didn't expect that at all, and I missed any announcement or hints about it.

tegid

tegid

ALIENS?

I was fine with the pic. Now, not so much.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I still kinda dig Thor and Loki, but man does Odin look goofy as hell. It could just be the look on Anthony Hopkins' face that ruins though. He looks like he's staring at a cloud made of candy.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Wait, what? Aliens? When did that happen?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Aliens as in the definition of alien, ie: they are not from this world. Asgard, Olympus, Heaven, and Mars are not found on Earth thus, when people come from those places they are alien to the people of Earth. Not Stargate Asgardian motive, just grammatically correct choice of words from Brannaugh.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

So Thor is going to be a douche from space and Mjöllnir is going to be a ray-gun?

Norris

Norris

ALIENS?

Well they are still the Aesir, they are still from Asgard, and they can still do things that look like magic. However, this flick needs to fit in with the Iron Man series, The Incredible Hulk, and Captain America: The First Avenger. Straight up magic and gods and whatnot? That would be really difficult to make fit. They still have the power of gods. They're just magic.

Necronic

Necronic

How would that be hard to fit? If they want to run the whole Marvel gammut eventually they are going to need players like Dr Strange etc in there. Actually Ghost Rider already had a whole Satan thing in it.

Anyways, I don't know about yall, but I am looking forward to it. That said, I really wish they had done the whole Marvel thing with the characters like they were in the Ultimates series. How awesome would that have been? Seeing Thor as a possibly psychotic dude who stole some important equipment and him trying to figure out if this is all some trick being played by his brother or if he really is insane. Then of course you would also have the Hulk doing....naughty things and not being some mamby pamby 'I just want to be left alone and my girlfriend's dad is a poo poo head' shmuck.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

ALIENS?

Well they are still the Aesir, they are still from Asgard, and they can still do things that look like magic. However, this flick needs to fit in with the Iron Man series, The Incredible Hulk, and Captain America: The First Avenger. Straight up magic and gods and whatnot? That would be really difficult to make fit. They still have the power of gods. They're just magic.[/QUOTE]

So Thor being the personification of an Alien is more believable than the personification of a god?

:Leyla:

Joe Johnson

To an athiest...probably.

To the general public, yeah. I didn't think the whole "gods" thing was going to work with most non-comic book people.

Fun Size

Fun Size

American Gods would disagree.

Honestly, other than the goofy smile (and he's a warrior god - maybe he just crushed his enemies, saw them driven before him and heard the lamentations of their women), I don't see much here. It's risky to move any costume out of comics, a dare-I-say occasionally ridiculous medium, into movies. If they had put those big friggin' horns on Loki's head, any chance of being taken seriously would have gone right out the window.

Joe Johnson

Yeah, it's going to be a tough sell, they'll have to really kick-ass to have this pass muster.

Fun Size

Fun Size

Don't misunderstand - I actually think the costumes as pictured are fine. I'm saying any of these costumes beyond Spidey are rough to bring to life. Imagine if X Men had tried to pack Wolverine into his yellow and blue jumpsuit. I'm guessing not as many people would have taken it seriously.

Joe Johnson

Well, I guess I meant the overall concept itself will be hard to sell on screen. I'm sure it can be done, but it could also go down the Ghostrider path and completely fail.

Seraphyn

Seraphyn

The still looks awful to me, but maybe it'll be better in the actual movie. I'm gonna go see it anyway, so it's not like it matters all that much.

Jiarn

It's Marvel Productions: It'll be amazing, true to the storyline and look phenomenal.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

They're aliens?

Fuck it.

Jiarn

So a non-sourced rumor says they're something, you take that as confirmed?

Norris

Norris

How would that be hard to fit? If they want to run the whole Marvel gammut eventually they are going to need players like Dr Strange etc in there. Actually Ghost Rider already had a whole Satan thing in it.
Well, I think Marvel is taking this one step at a time, as it were. In the future, they COULD bring in magic but as right this minute they feel that making straight fantasy elements play nice with the fantastic science fiction of Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, and the upcoming Captain America would have stretched willing suspension of disbelief a touch too far. Comics are a medium that can get away with including everything but the kitchen sink when it comes to fantasy. Film less so, as demonstrated by the Indiana Jones franchise.

As an aside, Ghost Rider is another one where Marvel lacked creative control. It thankfully has no ties to the Avengers Universe they're building.

EDIT: Aaaaand I'm now gonna look like a jackass, but I can no longer find a source to back up my claim. I remember reading it months ago and thinking "That makes sense" but....yeah, nothing. Sorry.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

So a non-sourced rumor says they're something, you take that as confirmed?
Does it really matter to you if I see it?

Jiarn

Nope, just amusing seeing people flip off the end on rumors and pictures.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

That was flipping off the end?

You're very sensitive.

Jiarn

When need be. Sure.

Norris

Norris

To make up for...that misstep, I have something that can be proven! New Picture! Loki and Odin in their helmets! Yay!

Troll

Troll

Hmmm. That's not too shabby. I'm still concerned about the silly looking eyepatch and the Power Ranger-esque armor, but in the full shot it fits a little better.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Whenever these conversations occur, I always think that somewhere motion picture industry people are doing the same thing but with greater insight than us and are jumping up and down about how awesome the movie will be based on a single photo.

Iaculus

Rejoice, Fun Size. Looks like they kept the horns.

Fun Size

Fun Size

And I will say that they don't look as silly as I expected. Neat.

Covar

Covar

Sometime in the Late 60s early 70s I believe. Never really touched upon greatly, but yea, aliens. Mostly to avoid that whole they're actually gods and Christianity is wrong, and all you Christians are stupid and should really be worshiping Thor the Avenger thing. DC is the same way, all the "gods" are just super powered beings whose powers came from the God wave (Marvel) or "The Source" (DC).

Troll

Troll

Sometime in the Late 60s early 70s I believe. Never really touched upon greatly, but yea, aliens. Mostly to avoid that whole they're actually gods and Christianity is wrong, and all you Christians are stupid and should really be worshiping Thor the Avenger thing. DC is the same way, all the "gods" are just super powered beings whose powers came from the God wave (Marvel) or "The Source" (DC).[/QUOTE]

I'm going to pretend I never read this, because it's a stupid fucking idea.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

It was touched on in the Earth X series (though I think it's like a What If/Elsewhere deal, not canon). Aaron Stack becomes the new Watcher and discovers that corporeal energy was shaped by the fervent belief of humans into the Pantheons of various religions. Odin, Loki and the rest are only what they are because of belief.

Norris

Norris

I'm going to pretend I never read this, because it's a stupid fucking idea.
Well phooey to you then. They are basically "gods" in everything but the divine "we created the universe" sense, which makes sense as (at least in the comics) just about every single culture's pantheon exists. Zeus and Odin can not both be the creator of the universe at the same time. They are beings from another dimension with abilities that defy all natural laws, nigh-immortality (which is bang on for the Aesir), and who were once worshiped as almighty. Fail to see the...fucking stupid, as you put it. Especially since, even in the original mythology, Asgard was another "world" wholly separate from Midgard.

tegid

tegid

When you say aliens I, at least, read 'beings from another planet' (within the same universe). Being magical beings from, like, other dimensions or some mystical place is much better.

Troll

Troll

When you say aliens I, at least, read 'beings from another planet' (within the same universe). Being magical beings from, like, other dimensions or some mystical place is much better.
This. When I was under the impression it's aliens from another word who are basically so advanced they are god-like, it was fucking stupid. Other dimensions, magic, etc., is much more palatable.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Currently on display at Comic-Con: The helmets of Loki, Odin and Thor.

Troll

Troll

Currently on display at Comic-Con: The helmets of Loki, Odin and Thor.
[dead link with a red X]
Well, that's not a good sign.

:p

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Dang it! Here's the link to the pic.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=68201

Troll

Troll

Huzzah!

Lookin' good.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Suddenly I'm overcome by an urge to want to wear those helmets, or something similar.

It seems I am destined to become a cosplayer.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Buff Thor disagrees with your faaaaace.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Description of the footage from Thor shown at Comic-Con:

UPDATE: Now, here is a more detailed description of the Thor footage we began to describe in our attempt to live blog the Marvel panel yesterday.

As we mentioned before, the footage begins with a lightning crack that seems to be the running theme of the footage shown, which makes sense being that this is the God of Thunder and that creating lightning is one of his principal skills. We see an aerial shot of a S.H.I.E.L.D. base where Clark Gregg's Agent Coulson is grilling Chris Hemsworth's Thor, who is in handcuffs slumped in a chair.

Coulson is giving Thor a long monologue, as he's prone to do, trying to find out who this man before him is. He says to him, with suitably long pauses for added effect:

"One way or another, we find out what we want to know," he says. "We're good at that. It's not easy to do what you did."

We see Thor breaking out of what seems to be a hospital but is more likely to be a S.H.I.E.L.D. containment center, throwing people around and throwing someone in a quarantine suit through the outside of a plastic containment area.

"You make my men, some of the most highly trained professionals in the world look like a minimum wage mall cops," Coulson continues.

We see Thor fighting more S.H.I.E.L.D. soldiers using a very physical way of combat, at one point jumping up and kicking a guy full on the chest with both feet.

"In my experience," Coulson says. "It takes someone who received similar training to do what you did to them? Why don't' you tell me where you received that training." Pause. "Afghanistan? You strike me more as a soldier of fortune type." During this part of his interrogation, we see more of Thor fighting and a bunch of explosions.

"Who are you?" He finally asks, and at this, Thor looks up at him from the chair.

We then cut to Asgard, which is shown as a bright constellation in the sky and as the camera travels into this star cluster, we see that this is an enormous and spectacular world filled with large towers seemingly made out of gold. Over these scenes, we hear the regal voiceover of Sir Anthony Hopkins as Odin:

"I have sacrificed much to achieve peace. So too must a new generation sacrifice to maintain that peace. Responsibility, duty, honor," he proclaims loudly. "these are not mere virtues we must aspire. They are essential to every soldier and to every king," he proclaims.

During this voiceover, the camera that's been showing us glimpses of this Godly world finally enters Odin's throne room as seen in recent pictures and the camera pans forward to Odin sitting in his throne, really holding sway over everyone in the room. Anthony Hopkins really looks well-suited to play a king in fact.

As he speaks, we see some of the Norse Gods briefly including Sif, Balder and each of the Warriors Three. At the base of Odin's throne is his son Thor.

"Thor, for your arrogance and stupidity, you have opened these peaceful realms and innocent lives to the horror and the devastation of war."

As that is said, we see our first look at Idris Elba's Heimdall with fierce glowing eyes, as well as as bunch of other Asgardian creatures, presumably trolls, advancing on the camera.

Odin's voice starts to get louder and angrier, "You are a vain, greedy, cruel boy."

Thor looks up and yells at him, "And you are an old man and a fool!"

Odin responds to him, "Yes, I was a fool…. To think you were ready."

This is when we first see Tom HIddleston as Loki who tries to intercede which just angers Odin more, but he's now back to Thor again. "You're unworthy and you're a traitor! I now take from you your power. In the name of my father and his father before, I cast you out!" And as he says that, he sends a bolt of magical force at Thor sending him flying backwards out of the throne room and then through the stars, screaming as he crashes to earth in the desert.

He's found by Natalie Portman's Jane Foster who looks at his prone body and says, "Please open your eyes." He does and seems perplexed, asking her in what seems like his normal Australian accent, "Oh, no, this is earth, isn't it?" and she asks, "Where did you come from?"

Yes, Thor has angered his father Odin so badly that he's been exiled to earth sans powers, which is a very popular storyline from the comics, though not necessarily the same origin story told in "Journey into Mystery" #83 as we'll learn later.

We then see Hemsworth walking around shirtless (which got many girls in the audience to scream) and impressing Foster and her assistant Darcy (played by Kat Dennings) makes a comment, "You know, for a crazy homeless person, you're pretty good."

The next few scenes involve Thor and Jane Foster driving an RV through the desert and talking.

"Describe exactly what happened to you last night," she says to him.

"Your ancestors called it magic and you call it science," he answers. "I come from a place where they're one and the same," he tells her.

"We are on the verge of understanding something extraordinary," she says to him as they drive.

"The answers you seek will be yours once I reclaim what's mine," he tells her.

We then see that they're driving to the S.H.I.E.L.D. base and once inside, he pulls back a curtain to show where they're holding Mjolnir, Thor's hammer, after finding it in the desert at the end of Iron Man 2. Its business end is encased in a large thin piece of rock that had been cut away from the crater created by it dropping to earth. Thor tries to pull the hammer out of the rock, but as hard as he tries he can't seem to get it out.

This is something interesting to note, because Kenneth Branagh is clearly not going for the usual origin of Thor where Dr. Donald Blake finds a cane in a cave, strikes it on the earth and then changes into Thor. No, in this case, Thor has been exiled sans powers and without the strength to pull that hammer out of the rock, at least for now, which means he remains strong and well-trained in fighting, but still merely a very strong mortal.

Odin's voiceover says, "Whoever wields this hammer will be deemed worthy to possess the power of Thor."

We're then back to Asgard, where Loki is leading a group of Gods on some kind of march, but we also then see that Odin is lying prone on a slab, clearly having been killed either in war (or maybe through some trick of Loki?) leaving his kingdom of Asgard in need of a successor. A woman's voice, presumably his wife Frigga, says, "The line of succession falls to you. Asgard is yours," and indeed, Loki says, "I am now the leader of Asgard. I am your king," as he casually walks up to the throne and the Warriors Three kneel before him.

"For the first time in my life, I have no idea what I'm supposed to do," Thor says in voiceover and then we finally see him in his full costume as he battles with Loki. We also see a great shot of Thor standing on the throne with his hammer raised above his fight, another physical battle with Loki, in which he actually hurls Mjolnir at him and Loki blocks the hammer with his staff. There's also a shot of Thor kissing Jane Foster, though we didn't really see much of Sif, which was surprising.

Throughout the footage, there are lots of lightning strikes used to great effect, the last one heralding the first official Thor logo.

We do see and hear Odin one more time in the footage, as he's standing in the shadows with another figure, his voice proclaiming, "He has disobeyed the expressed demand of his king. His fate is in his own hands now."

The closing scene of the footage shows Coulson gathered with a bunch of agents in the desert, and we hear this loud booming noises which is shaking everything ala the T-Rex footsteps in Jurassic Park. Coulson looks up to the sky and we see something large drop to the desert sending sand everywhere. When the sand clears, we see it's Odin's destroyer, an enormous robotic construct not unlike the one from The Day the Earth Stood Still.

"Is that one of Stark's?" someone asks Agent Coulson, who responds, "I don't know. The guy never tells me anything," he adds, and then says to the Destroyer, "Hello, you are using unregistered weapons technology, identify yourself." The Destroyer starts pacing towards the S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, and Coulson says matter of factly, "Here we go." and that's when the eye panels on the Destroyer's metal head opens up and starts shooting eye blasts out at the gathered agents, blowing up the agent's cars off to the left and then the cars on the right and then the last blast goes right at the camera to end the footage.

Couple observations about this version of Thor from what we saw in the footage: This is a far more physical character than maybe we're used to seeing in the comics because we can tell that he can handle himself even without having his lightning powers or the use of Mjolnir. This is clear from the footage that shows him fighting S.H.I.E.L.D. agents which seems to be derived almost from the world of wrestling in terms of him jumping up and doing power kicks. There also seems to be more humor in this than some might expect from the normally serious Asgard stuff, and a lot of that comes from the earth characters like Clark Gregg's Agent Coulson and Kat Dennings' Darcy. It's subtle humor but definitely in line with what Marvel Studios have done in their previous films. It seems like there will definitely be two very distinct sections of the movie, what's happening in Asgard and what's happening on Earth, although we expect the story will go back and forth between them. The Asgard stuff certainly seems more like things we've seen in the comics, while the earthbound stuff is more in vein with what Marvel Studios has set up with the two "Iron Man" movies. One interesting note is that we don't really see Thor on earth in his full costume, as if he is more human on earth, figures out how to get a hold of his hammer and then returns to Asgard to face the repercussions of Odin's defeat and Loki's rise to power. One presumes that eventually he'll have to get back to earth in God form, so that he can join the Avengers, although there really wasn't any indication of how and when that happens from the footage.

Clearly, part of the story as we know from Coulson's appearances in Iron Man 2 is that when Thor is cast down to earth along with Mjolnir, they're both found by S.H.I.E.L.D. and detained, then Thor escapes and hooks up with Jane Foster (at least figuratively) and they try to get Thor's hammer and powers back. Meanwhile, Asgard has been thrown into chaos due to war and the death of Odin, allowing Loki to take power. At least the latter stuff is very much from the comics, while the S.H.I.E.L.D. aspect is very much a way to tie Thor in with the other planned movies.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'm not sure about this movie. They seem to have gone a little too young in their casting of Thor:

from Marvel Entertainment's Flickr photostream

Marvel has a ton of great photos of cosplayers posing on that throne, it's awesome.

Steve

Steve

Thor Trailer Leaked! - Gin and Comics

Comic con Thor trailer leaked. Doubt it will be up long.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I want to rub that trailer all over my body, it's so good.

Philosopher B.

I hadn't been paying too much attention to this thus far (never read any Thor comics), but that trailer was really good! Also, yay for having Natalie Portman in it!

Troll

Troll

Wow. Color me converted. That trailer was awesome!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Thor Trailer Leaked! - Gin and Comics

Comic con Thor trailer leaked. Doubt it will be up long.
It will be taken down with in the year.

Free advertisement. It is perfect viral marketing.... oops I leaked my trailer that 1,000's have seen all over the interwebs.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Damn, that trailer was solid.

fade

fade

Isn't that basically the same theory that Dungeons and Dragons uses, too?

This looks okay so far. Not a big fan of Odin's armor, but whatever.

Also, the last thing direct by Branagh that I saw was Frankenstein. That doesn't help. The directing was the absolute worst part of that film, despite being moderately truer to the text than previous incarnations. I sincerely hope he's gotten less corny with the camerawork. He was like a wannabe Raimi without the fun parts.

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

I was replying to:

It was touched on in the Earth X series (though I think it's like a What If/Elsewhere deal, not canon). Aaron Stack becomes the new Watcher and discovers that corporeal energy was shaped by the fervent belief of humans into the Pantheons of various religions. Odin, Loki and the rest are only what they are because of belief.

(the edit button isn't working for me. It crashes safari. This is the 3rd or 4th time now.)

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Watched the trailer and I'm just not feeling this movie.

Steve

Steve

Escushion, keep in mind there's a lot of time before the movie is released. I think by the time it's released the movie will look totally different. Remember when they previewed the Wolverine trailer at Comic Con. Thankfully the movie was so much better than the traile-oh crap-we're screwed.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

My post at first had comments about how people were going to say I should wait for the movie, and then wait for the DVD, and then I should try to Blu-Ray and other such sarcasm.

I thought I should've kept it at first, then saw you were joking too.