[Console] Finally replaced the Xbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, after, several years, I've finally bought a new Xbox.

Two questions:
What games have I missed or would you recommend? Now, I have a gaming rig as well, so I've played some of the big ones, like Skyrim, but I'd like to hear what you'd recommend for X360 that has been released in the last 3 years.

Secondly, now that I'm married (one year on Dec. 29!) I'm looking for games that I can play with my wife (her suggestion!). Keep in mind she's not a big gamer - so something like Halo or other big name shooters are not an option. Yet.

I'll keep thinking, but off the top of my head, as far as co-op games go, I'd definitely recommend Rayman Origins and any of the Lego games (Lord of the Rings being the front runner, followed closely by Star Wars). I don't know if you have a PS3, but LittleBigPlanet is a pretty fun co-op game as well.

And as for games you missed, I'll keep thinking. I'm sure others will have answers for you though.

figmentPez

Staff member
Games I've played, and loved, on PC that are also on Xbox (in rough order of recommendation):
  1. Bastion
  2. Costume Quest
  3. Batman Arkham Asylum
  4. Trine / Trine 2
  5. Red Faction Guerrilla
  6. Zeno Clash
  7. Limbo
  8. Stacking
  9. Torchlight
Of those, Trine 2 definitely offers the best multi-player option. Well, Stacking would be fun to play together. It's not actually co-op, but I love to work together with someone else to figure out an adventure game.

That said, you've noted you do have a gaming PC, and most of those games will be just as good, if not better, on the PC, so my list may be useless to you if you have a gamepad hooked up to your PC (and, dammit, you should.)

If you're looking for something light to play multi-player, I'll second LittleKagsin 's suggestion to pick up one of the Lego games. They're more fun than they are good, but they are a heck of a lot of fun. I recently played Lego Batman 2 and I'd highly recommend it if she likes superheroes, or pick another Lego game to suit her tastes (I've heard good things about Lego Harry Potter and LoTR as well.)

Also, the Dynasty Warrior games are fun in couch co-op (though you require an HD TV).

I third the Lego [insert here] games in general, as well. There's probably no better non-"hardcore" multiplayer game series out there.

If you have a Kinect (and think she would like it), Just Dance is pretty awesome, and much more casual-friendly than Dance Central.

Good suggestions all.
I have Bastion, Trine and Torchlight for PC.

A friend has suggested the Batman games. I believe I had Lego Star Wars once upon a time and we did play that together briefly.

I've heard Lego Lord of the Rings is pretty good.

If you want something to play on your own, I do recommend Halo 4. It's a pretty great campaign. Also, don't be afraid to check out the Marketplace, Castle Crashers, for example, is a crazy fun beat-em-up sidescroller with a great sense of humor.

I second Halo 4 for SP/hardcore play. All-around great game, better than most of the series despite the studio change.

So, what I'm getting from this thread is that if you have a gaming PC, an Xbox is only a worthwhile investment if you want to play Halo.

So, what I'm getting from this thread is that if you have a gaming PC, an Xbox is only a worthwhile investment if you want to play Halo.
Not at all, I just focused on the request to have casual-friendly multiplayer.

If you want other games I would include:

-Gears of War 3
-Dead Space
-Assassin's Creed
-Call of Duty MWF3/BOps/BOps 2 (very obviously designed for console)
-Prince of Persia (2008)
-Final Fantasy XIII
-Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom
-Resident Evil 6 (if you like the recent RE games, otherwise pass)
-Bayonetta
-Borderlands 1 & 2 (definitely designed for console, though the PC version is pretty good)
-The Witcher 2 (I would recommend this for PC first, but the 360 version is excellent)
-XCOM: Enemy Unknown (I have the PC version and its great, but it's really designed for console, so YMMV)
-Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
-Spec Ops: The Line

And if you're a sports gamer:

-The latest version of FIFA
-SSX
-UFC Undisputed 3

Nah, there's some great stuff that shares between 360/PS3, but in terms of co-op that's not too heavy I'm not sure. For single-player SKO has a pretty good list.

I'm jumping on the Lego games bandwagon. My son and I play Lego Star Wars games and Lego Indiana Jones together. It is really fun. My husband and I like to play Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Street Fighter, but that's because he is still butthurt over me kicking his ass at the arcade version of Street Fighter II on our honeymoon. Heh.

Not at all, I just focused on the request to have casual-friendly multiplayer.

If you want other games I would include:

-Gears of War 3
-Dead Space
-Assassin's Creed
-Call of Duty MWF3/BOps/BOps 2 (very obviously designed for console)
-Prince of Persia (2008)
-Final Fantasy XIII
-Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom
-Resident Evil 6 (if you like the recent RE games, otherwise pass)
-Bayonetta
-Borderlands 1 & 2 (definitely designed for console, though the PC version is pretty good)
-The Witcher 2 (I would recommend this for PC first, but the 360 version is excellent)
-XCOM: Enemy Unknown (I have the PC version and its great, but it's really designed for console, so YMMV)
-Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
-Spec Ops: The Line

And if you're a sports gamer:

-The latest version of FIFA
-SSX
-UFC Undisputed 3
You just reinforced my point. Almost every single game you listed is available and looks better on PC, which you can plug an Xbox 360 controller into and they are better looking exact ports of their console counterparts.

I'm not saying that the 360 or PS3 sucks, just that they're best for the exclusives that are offered on them.

I second Metal Gear Solid HD Collection. Your essentially getting 5 games for the price of one. You get...

- Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance (Has extra modes and stuff, including extra "Snake challenges")
- Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence (Has extra stuff, but sans Snake Vs Monkey mode for legal reasons)
- Metal Gear 1 (On MGS3 disk. It's the MSX version, so it's different than the Nintendo version)
- Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (On MGS3 disk. Only way to legally play it outside of Japan.)
- Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (Originally for the PSP, this is a graphically enhanced version of the game. I'd say it's superior in every way that matters, including much easier to do multi-player.)

They are also releasing a Bioshock collection soon, which is Bioshock 1+2, all the DLC, an extra "Museum of the Orphaned Concepts" area in Rapture with stuff they didn't use in the game, and some stickers for Bioshock: Infinite. It's going to be like $30-40 bucks, so it's a steal if you don't already own copies of the games.

Spec Ops: The Line is only for the stout of heart.

Spec Ops: The Line is only for the stout of heart.

This is seriously an amazing game. It's a work of art, and should not be confused with all of those other modern military shooters. It's not fun though. It's incredibly immersive and engaging, and it will make you feel lots of things, but none of these things are good.

I'm kind of afraid to play Spec Ops: The Line due to all the stuff I heard about how emotionally impactful the story is. I had a hard time getting through the PTSD novel I read for my psych disorders class this semester, so I'll probably pass on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.