[Gaming] Final Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd let Jay suck a dick for a brand newly released 2d Final Fantasy with a larger storyline than anything previously done and the most amazing 2d graphics we've ever seen.

I like FF8. :(

The junction system isn't bad at all once you figure out that the game didn't intend for you to get all your spells via drawing. You were supposed to play the card game and refine the cards into magic.

It wasn't the "drawing" that was necessarily bad bhamv3, it was the fact that once you had 99 of a spell junctioned, casting that spell actually weakened the effectiveness of your character instead of making it something you'd WANT to do.

IX is still my favorite I think, they did a pretty amazing job with character development in that game imo. Needing to collect every item in the game to get all your skills was annoying, but I can let it slide.

I do agree though, on FFXIII especially. It felt lazy. From X on you lost the overworld map, and thus the exploration and wonder factor of those big continents in the days of SNES/PS1. Hell, I remember jumping through time in Chrono Trigger, going to 65M BC, and realizing I was basically on the continents of 600/1000 AD before goddamn Tectonic shifts. That's amazing.

But XIII killed that. You don't even see a large terrain map until nearly halfway through the game, and when you get there everything rapes you to death because they're waaaaaaay over your level (unless you stayed in tunnel #1,089 to grind out some points to level). XII felt more like an MMO in some respects, though I don't fault it as hard as I do XIII. The Paradigm was interesting at first, until I realized you really only needed like 3 set ups and you could win any fight without much effort on your part. At that point it turned into me running through tunnels and watching cutscenes for a story I stopped caring about. I doubt we'll ever really see something like IV/VI or VII again, save for rehashes on DS or maybe PSP, which makes me sad.
Added at: 14:28
IX is still my favorite I think, they did a pretty amazing job with character development in that game imo. Needing to collect every item in the game to get all your skills was annoying, but I can let it slide.
I liked the item thing because it did two things for me. One, reminded me of Tactics, and the other being gave me more than a leveling reason to stop and grind a bit. Made it pretty easy to stomp through most of the game, really.

I lost track of how many times I replayed or worked on various save files. I remember finding out that when you swap Ramza back to Squire in the final act he's basically a demigod. With the Ninja dual-wield he was a killing machine, build up attack with Scream and then let him loose. Oneshots, oneshots everywhere!

I do agree though, on FFXIII especially. It felt lazy. From X on you lost the overworld map, and thus the exploration and wonder factor of those big continents in the days of SNES/PS1. Hell, I remember jumping through time in Chrono Trigger, going to 65M BC, and realizing I was basically on the continents of 600/1000 AD before goddamn Tectonic shifts. That's amazing.
I give FFXII a pass on the "No overhead map" thing because you essentially walk everywhere and it takes you a fair amount of time to get to places. It's also supposed to be taking place in a VERY small country, so it makes sense that most of the locations are within land travel distance from one another.

FFX doesn't get the same pass, as it's clear that your essentially traveling over the entire world to get to these temples. The means that it's a very tiny fucking world, if you can make most of the trip on foot.

XII I didn't mind the loss of the overworld map, because without those Teleport stones it would take HOURS to get from one map to the next as mobs didn't give any fucks about your level, they'd just leap on you. X was like it took place in one city with how small it all ends up feeling.

ElJuski

Staff member
I remember trying to play different Final Fantasy games, and each time thinking they blew, and then being told by a different person that I should try some OTHER one, because it was GREAT, and not like the previous AT ALL...

They were all boring. Granted, I like Parasite Eve. Take that as you will.

I tried it once and didn't like it. I wasn't crazy about the incredibly long battle sequences.
While they were definitely a bit long, it also depended on how you wanted to set up your builds. Stocking up on giving your guys high move/jump capabilities often helped you end battles within a handful of turns (and some plot battles within a single turn). You definitely didn't need to play that way of course.

I liked murdering all but one of the enemy and then status-affecting him into being completely ineffective and then grinding XP by punching my own party members in the face.

Hey guys, remember when FFT's only problem was THAT IT WAS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING?
This may be my favorite post.

Here's my FFT story: At one point, I sold every Playstation game I had, over 30 of them, when I went to college. But not Final Fantasy Tactics.

Tactics only has one problem in its current PSP incarnation, and that's the fucking re-translation into what the Japanese think people spoke like in medieval Europe. Though I like the new additions, like the new classes, extra characters, and lag (erm...), I'm actually thinking of buying the PS1Classic version of FFT from the PSN store and playing that on the go. The game was as perfect as it could be. It needed nothing else.
Added at: 18:04
They were all boring. Granted, I like Parasite Eve. Take that as you will.
Parasite Eve was great. There's not some divide between that and liking/disliking Final Fantasy.

BananaHands

Staff member
This may be my favorite post.

Here's my FFT story: At one point, I sold every Playstation game I had, over 30 of them, when I went to college. But not Final Fantasy Tactics.

Tactics only has one problem in its current PSP incarnation, and that's the fucking re-translation into what the Japanese think people spoke like in medieval Europe. Though I like the new additions, like the new classes, extra characters, and lag (erm...), I'm actually thinking of buying the PS1Classic version of FFT from the PSN store and playing that on the go. The game was as perfect as it could be. It needed nothing else.
I liked Balthier's addition in FFT, but I couldn't stand those accents. I think it could have gone without those anime scenes.
Added at: 02:53
Oh, I went to see what the deal with FFXIV was... apparently it was even worse than FFXIII and Square Enix even released an apology.

Yay someone else loves IX! :3
I hated the card game in IX but love everything else about that game. Oh wait, I also really dislike Quina. Aaand I got really lucky when I beat the game. I didn't realize I was at the end and most my characters were half-dead when I found Kuja. Some how I survived each wave while almost having multiple heart attacks. :p

Okay, I skimmed most of the first page. >.> Read most, didn't want to read spoilers since I haven't finished most the games (yeah, yeah, I'm halfway through most of them and I've somehow avoided ALL spoilers), and skimmed the rest. I think I have game ADD.
I get all giddy when people love FFIX. ~<3

Leveling Cloud was always hilarious, because I'd just take his weapon away and let him punch Ramza in the gut until an NPC killed itself on my Counter characters. Ramza was always my highest level once I got Scream, as it was a free 30-40xp per use even when you stopped getting stat bonuses from it. Easiest leveling ever.

I liked FF9 until I popped in the 3rd CD.... then I was berated into submission with a 2 hour long cutscene that destroyed the storyline in my face.

I liked FF9 until I popped in the 3rd CD.... then I was berated into submission with a 2 hour long cutscene that destroyed the storyline in my face.
I thought you were going to say that your CD froze. Because mine did. I have owned 3 copies of the game and played through the first half countless times. The CD would act up, I'd stop playing for a while and try to pick it up again. My problem, besides gaming ADD, is that if I pick up a game after it's been a while... I always start over. @_@

I played through 9 but I can't for the life of me remember much about anything that happened in it.

I do remember some of the town music was so terrible that I had to turn sound completely off.
Added at: 01:40

Here we go. 10 minutes of this became indistinguishable from nails on a fucking chalkboard.

BananaHands

Staff member
Oh god, that music. I always enjoyed the music in 8... and then 9 always just sounded like MIDI files.

Probably the one good song... and even then...

You guys are just haters.

For me, IX was an amazing game with the worst end boss of any game in the series. I mean, Kuja was weird, but at least he would've made sense as the last boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.