FF14... a MMO without any XP?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Oh, good.

Because their first MMO is so fucking wonderful.

Worst MMO ever fucking made. That entire game is a goddamn punishment.

Something, somewhere... went terribly bad in the FF franchise the last few years. As far as JMMORPGs, FF online is as bad as they come.

Oh hey, maybe this one will be even worse than 11 now! This must mean everyone is level one forever and you'll need 1,000 person raids to kill bosses.

G

GeneralOrder24

the greatness of any FF game is directly related to the involvment of Hironobu Sakaguchi.

I don't mind LVL free games such as UO. It's just the jap crap that doesn't appeal to me. They are so superficial that me as a gamer am limited to one thing, GRIND.

Original SWG was fun to play.

Z

zero

And eve online has no xp either. Still up running, and with a growing user base after six years (best mmorpg ever IMHO).
So, nothing revolutionary there.

@Li3n said:
AshburnerX said:
Ultima Online was XP free, as it was Skill based. It's STILL up and running.
ur game intrigues me... pls explain.
It's based on skill percentages, which determined the effectiveness of your skills. To raise your skill you just use your skills more, though it takes longer (in theory) to get skill the more skill you have. You max at a certain percentage of skill points total though (when I played, this was 700%) and once you reach the max, you start losing points in skills you don't personally lock. The shard Siege Perilous used a different system, where your point gains were time-based; after a certain amount of time passed, you would always gain a point in a skill if you used it, which would reset the timer.

Keep in mind, however, I left back when 3rd Dawn was released. Things may have changed since then. Here's some more info.

G

Gadzooks

Swg was anything but xp free, crafting xp, pistols xp, rifle xp, etc, and standard combat xp.

And it was an awesome system

Hyimi said:
I like FF 11 :eek:rly:
I like FFXI too. I'm planning to give FF14 a chance, to see if moving their MMO from the PS2 platform will allow them to make some big improvements on graphics.

W

WolfOfOdin

FF11 is the only instance in which a developer was able to actually condense his virulent hatred for humanity into game code

WolfOfOdin said:
FF11 is the only instance in which a developer was able to actually condense his virulent hatred for humanity into game code
As someone who played FF11, I have to say.

This quote sums up the entire 'experience' of playing that game.

Awesome.

well they had to get you back for all the grief from ff8 not being more like ff7 and not buying ff9...

J

JCM

Why not implement a Morrowind-like system. You use a sword, you improve your sword skills. You carrymuch stuff, you increase stamina.

This is until today the best and most realistic way of levelling up in RPGs, and makes more sense than "Im suddenly going to increase 3 points in a weapon that I never used!"

C

Chibibar

@Li3n said:
AshburnerX said:
Ultima Online was XP free, as it was Skill based. It's STILL up and running.
ur game intrigues me... pls explain.
the wonderful world of Ultima Online. It is an old bird eye's view MMORPG type game using spirit base (i.e. premade graphic) I am not sure if it has gone totally 3D type yet but this is what I remember before I left the game (nothing else for me to do after 8 years)

The game goes by skill base system. you have a 700 skillpoint cap (which can be increase by various means which I have forgotten upto 800 I think... someone please correct me if I'm wrong) you gain skill (0 to 100 base) via USING the skill. The higher the skill, the harder to earn points. There are scrolls which unlock the cap upto 120 points BUT you are still limit to 700 base (unless you unlock the higher skill point)

This mean you can pick your favorite skill and mix and match (yes tank mages and such) but some skill have better synergy than other skills. Also with balance over the years a pure tank mages doesn't work as well as early days (magic spell 100 cast 8th circle spell AND wearing full plate mail) I do believe there are over 100 skills to choose from.

that is the gist of it.

JCM said:
Why not implement a Morrowind-like system. You use a sword, you improve your sword skills. You carrymuch stuff, you increase stamina.

This is until today the best and most realistic way of levelling up in RPGs, and makes more sense than "Im suddenly going to increase 3 points in a weapon that I never used!"
That's exactly how Ultima Online MMO played.
As for FFXI? Grab a 2x4 with rusty nails in it and grab some massage oil.

For about 30minutes, massage yourself gently with the oil. Soothe yourself, enjoy and relax.

On the 31st minute, grab the 2x4 and beat yourself mercilessly with it. I mean go to town like you owe yourself money. Do this for 4hrs.

When you regain consciousness, grab the oil and repeat.

It'll cost you less and it's the exact same experience as that MMO.

Shegokigo said:
It'll cost you less and it's the exact same experience as that MMO.
Not humiliating enough.

You'd probably need a harmless fluffy cute animal to do the beating for you, just to capture the humiliating feeling of getting defeated by a rabbit, crab or sheep.

While decked in full plate, with a great sword.

Necronic

Staff member
zero said:
And eve online has no xp either. Still up running, and with a growing user base after six years (best mmorpg ever IMHO).
God damned right my man! You should listen to a couple of the podcasts where I talk about EvE as being the best MMO in existence right now. My only beef with it is that its too good. It requires too much of a mental commitment for a lot of players. It doesn't reward drunken/high/wasted play, and in fact will reward good understanding of complicated math and management concepts. That's probably the reason I don't play any more, only have a couple hours of gaming time a week, and I couldn't get too much done in that game with that much time.

Necronic said:
zero said:
God damned right my man! You should listen to a couple of the podcasts where I talk about EvE as being the best MMO in existence right now. My only beef with it is that its too good. It requires too much of a mental commitment for a lot of players. It doesn't reward drunken/high/wasted play, and in fact will reward good understanding of complicated math and management concepts. That's probably the reason I don't play any more, only have a couple hours of gaming time a week, and I couldn't get too much done in that game with that much time.
you goddamned freak. if by mental commitment you mean hours of time wasted, then sure.

Necronic

Staff member
And which mmo (or other computer game) offers more than time wasted? Oh yes, all the ones that have real life benefits......

Actually, I would actually argue that EvE does have tangible benefits. You could teach people oodles of economic/finance/management theory from that game.

Gurpel said:
Necronic said:
zero said:
you goddamned freak. if by mental commitment you mean hours of time wasted, then sure.
I liked EVE, but it's the only MMO I've ever encountered that actually required you to have no job, no life, and no need for physical sustenance beyond an endless supply of corn-chips to actually get shit done.

JCM said:

I always liked this system, because your character leveled up in the way you actually used it. So it became more and more your typical character.

JCM said:

Meh, the problem with that is that a guy that has plenty of exp with a sword will still be better with an axe then someone that has no exp with either... of course it is better then having a Fighter increase his Int with points he earned by just wacking stuff with a sword, which can be explained i guess by saying he got better at using/learning tactics, but doesn't explain why his physical attributes stayed the same...

Chibibar said:
that is the gist of it.
10x, but i wiki'd it in the mean time... sound interesting, but i've never been a fan of % for skills.

J

JCM

@Li3n said:
JCM said:

Meh, the problem with that is that a guy that has plenty of exp with a sword will still be better with an axe then someone that has no exp with either... of course it is better then having a Fighter increase his Int with points he earned by just wacking stuff with a sword, which can be explained i guess by saying he got better at using/learning tactics, but doesn't explain why his physical attributes stayed the same...
Actually no.

Use a heavy sword? Your strenght increases along with it. So it does affect your using an axe.
The use = learn system is the only system that makes sense, because its funny seeing a mage that has never held a sword suddenly become proficient in it. :slywink:
Seraphyn said:
JCM said:

I always liked this system, because your character leveled up in the way you actually used it. So it became more and more your typical character.
It also makes the game more interesting, because as in UO and the Elder Scroll games, you actually have a reason to try out new weapons, types of spells and skills, I remember nearing end-game and taking a bow and arrow and practicing shooting down weak creatures just to improve archery.

S

Selgeron

The best leveling up system was Asheron's Call

...Also final fantasy XI was preeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

and the music was nice.

David said:
I loved FFXI; I played it for years and still would be if not for financial/free-time constraints :(
You're a masochist aren't you?

I'm not here to judge, just the most obvious response.

TeKeo said:
Gurpel said:
Necronic said:
zero said:
I liked EVE, but it's the only MMO I've ever encountered that actually required you to have no job, no life, and no need for physical sustenance beyond an endless supply of corn-chips to actually get poop done.
MMMmmmMM, corn chips.....

A

Aisaku

Draxo said:
WolfOfOdin said:
As someone who played FF11, I have to say.

This quote sums up the entire 'experience' of playing that game.

Awesome.

I call it paying a tithe to the Square Cult... but yeah I know people who played, who had invited me to play it, and from my experience with it I'm pretty damn certain that those who play FFXI have some degree of stockholm syndrome set in.

O

Oddbot

That's just the way mmos were pre-wow. Everquest really wasn't much different.

Status
Not open for further replies.