Fallout New Vegas : Honest Hearts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reposting from the OTHER New Vegas thread... I'm gonna spoiler it for size.

Alright, just finished the new DLC, Honest Hearts. Here's my thoughts...

New Items: Most of them are great. The new .45 Pistol and SMG do very nice damage (I think the SMG can even out DPS the Automatic Rifle when it's been upgraded), the Warclub is very fun and so are the Tomahawks. I ESPECIALLY like the Compliance Regulator though... it randomly paralyzes enemies, meaning it can make a joke of things like the Dartgun could in FO3. There are also lots of new tribal themed craftables that are powerful healing items, as well as new craftable armors that make tanning gecko hides useful. You can even make tequila, Sunset Sarsaparilla, and Nuka Cola now. A+ for items.

Perks: Another +5 levels were added, so that's good. Most of the perks are useful, if not overpowered. Special mention goes to Grunt (+25% damage with "soldier" themed weapons. Think NCR stuff), Tribal Wisdom (50% less damage from animals, mutated animals, and mutated insects, as well as +25% poison resist), and Fight the Power! (+5% crit and 2 DT against any NCR, Caesar, or Brotherhood enemies). It's all useful so A+.

Challenge: Not much, sadly. Your limited to 75-100 pounds of equipment going into this, but unless your playing on Hardcore, that's still essentially everything you'd want anyway. Enemies are under equiped and the Yaoi Gai aren't nearly as painful as Deathclaws. This place is probably much harder to deal with in Hardcore mode, where ammo and healing items would be much harder to come by thanks to the weight limit. Grade is C.

Length: I did everything there was to do in this DLC in a little under 5 hours. That means all the story, all the achievements, and exploring all the locations. Compared to the 8-10 I got out of Dead Money, I feel like this doesn't measure up. It felt like the proper amount of time for this though, so I guess it's a B.

Story: I'm gonna spoiler this, in case I say too much. Regardless, the grade is C.
They simply don't do much with this, story wise. You essentially do fetch quests for most of the DLC and then decide if you want to fight or run from the White Legs. They only develop three characters: Joshua Graham, Daniel, and Randall Dean Clark (and you only learn about the last one if you visit the "taboo" caves), but you don't spend enough time in the story to really get a good feeling for them. I honestly prefer Dead Money's story over this.

Final Thoughts:
I like that they gave you a lot of stuff in this DLC, especially compared to Dead Money which only gave you a few things, and I love that some of the new stuff really addresses some of the problems in the main game... but I ultimately wanted a more epic story than the one I was given. They really underused the characters and setting they had and it sort of feels like they may have spent all their budget making Zion when they should have spent more on developing the characters that lived there. My final grade for this is a B: Lots of great stuff, but they don't do much with it.

I really hope the story in next month's Old World Blues is much stronger.

If you want a TL;DR version: Zion itself is a beautiful location, but there really isn't too much to do once you get there. The story isn't developed enough to really hold your interest, though I suggest going to all the "taboo" caves to read up on the guy the Sorrow's worship. When you've done that, head for the "Red Gate" for the finale of that side story.

Honestly, the best part of the DLC is the stuff it gives you. The .45 SMG is deadly, especially with the new soldier themed perk to boost it's damage. It also has a new medium armor that boosts crit chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.