Export thread

Euro 2020 (2021)

mikerc

mikerc

I have set up a Halforums pool for predictions on this at https://www.tournamentfootball.co.uk/en/euro2020/pool/halforums & will be providing a £25 Steam digital gift card for the winner. 2 things to note:
1) You need to have all your predictions in before the first game kicks off at 21:00 CEST Friday 11th June.
2) The Steam gift card is only available to HalForumites. If any non posters here join this pool & tops the standings I will ignore them & give the prize to the highest ranking forumite so be sure to post in this thread with what name you're using for this website.

Dave

Dave

This should be fun. I know nothing but am willing to put my ignorance up against anyone!

Bubble181

Bubble181

Entered. May update my predictions later. Some groups are mad.

Dave

Dave

Anyone else want to get in on this? C'mon!

chris

chris

I also entered with my half assed predictions. I have the username Skryzle.
Question: Can we change our predictions for best 16, quarter, half and final when the group results are in later or do we have to stick with it to the end?

mikerc

mikerc

Question: Can we change our predictions for best 16, quarter, half and final when the group results are in later or do we have to stick with it to the end?
I'm not sure. I've not actually used this website for predictions before - based on what I've read on their rules I don't think so, but I'm hoping to be wrong. On that at least.

chris

chris

Looks like the predictions are locked after the deadline.

Bubble181

Bubble181

God I hope I predicted Italy to go far.

chris

chris

I was probably a little too enthusiastic about the number of goals in the individual games. Should have put more 0-0 draws in my predictions.

Dave

Dave

Holy fuck what just happened to Eriksen? Dude just collapsed and they are resuscitating him on the field.

Dave

Dave

Using shock paddles and doing CPR. This is serious as shit.

Dave

Dave

Match suspended. Good idea.

chris

chris

Haven't seen it. Was late to turn the game on tv and was surprised with another show.

Dave

Dave

He's awake and stable. Wow did that ever look bad, though.

mikerc

mikerc

Match suspended. Good idea.
Holy shit. UEFA want the players to play the rest of this game later tonight. No. Show some damn respect.

Dave

Dave

Holy shit. UEFA want the players to play the rest of this game later tonight. No. Show some damn respect.
Yeah that would have been a bad idea. Had they made them I bet the players would have either revolted or just sat down in the middle of the pitch until time ran out.

chris

chris

Yeah that would have been a bad idea. Had they made them I bet the players would have either revolted or just sat down in the middle of the pitch until time ran out.
No, the game will happen. Start is right now

chris

chris

Ericsson told his team to play. They resume the game where it ended

Bubble181

Bubble181

Yeah, I'm very happy he's awake and speaking again.
If he'd died, the match might've been rescheduled, but if he's up and about again, it's standard procedure to resume play. Finland just scored because the Danish aren't paying attention, though.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Using shock paddles and doing CPR. This is serious as shit.
Paddles are defib, not restart. Did he take a blow to the sternum?

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

Paddles are defib, not restart. Did he take a blow to the sternum?

--Patrick
Nope. Just walking and boom, went down.

I can't believe they continued the match unbelievable.

jwhouk

jwhouk

They didn't do that when the Red Wings had a player go down on the bench a few years ago.

Dave

Dave

I finally got a prediction wrong. i knew it was going to happen but it took a lot longer than I thought it would. Damn you, Slovakia!

Bubble181

Bubble181

I finally got a prediction wrong. i knew it was going to happen but it took a lot longer than I thought it would. Damn you, Slovakia!
I'd gotten Denmark - Finland wrong earlier. Denmark would've won if it hadn't been for Bill Gates activating Ericssen's chip! *

*there were actually theories launched that his vaccine caused this, but it turns out Ericssen hadn't been vaccinated yet.

Dave

Dave

I'd gotten Denmark - Finland wrong earlier. Denmark would've won if it hadn't been for Bill Gates activating Ericssen's chip! *

*there were actually theories launched that his vaccine caused this, but it turns out Ericssen hadn't been vaccinated yet.
Yeah I got that one wrong as well but I don't count it. The situation was too weird. Their best player goes down horrifically and they were made to play all while knowing that his heart had stopped and he was for all intents and purposes dead at the scene. It was too much to ask of them.

Their next game is going to be pretty exciting, I'll bet.

Bubble181

Bubble181

They "agreed" to resume play and only restarted after he was pronounced stable... And he's a team member of several other country's big stars, too.
Which doesn't mean you're not right.

Dave

Dave

This is so not going to last. I'm going to collapse in a hail of laughter. But for right now I'm in 19th place.

Overall.

mikerc

mikerc

This should be fun. I know nothing but am willing to put my ignorance up against anyone!
But for right now I'm in 19th place.

Overall.

I've been hustled! :aaah:

Dave

Dave

Here's my methodology of how I picked my scores. I went to a bookie site and looked at the odds for each team to win the whole thing. Then I scored the matches based on that.
'
I don't know teams, I don't know players. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Here's my methodology of how I picked my scores. I went to a bookie site and looked at the odds for each team to win the whole thing. Then I scored the matches based on that.
'
I don't know teams, I don't know players. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.
You did research?!
That's illegal! Immoral! Scandalous!

Dave

Dave

Our GROUP is in 15th place overall.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I noticed. Which is really odd considering there aren't even that many of us.

chris

chris

Which means the other groups have even less participants or did worser predictions.

Dave

Dave

3-0 Portugal. I'm now up to 7th overall. This is fucking wild. When I crash it's going to be spectacular.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Good.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

It was good while it lasted. :)

Dave

Dave

FUCK! Wales got that last goal PAST stated stoppage time. Damn it!

Bubble181

Bubble181

Because of the fight a bit earlier, the ref was absolutely in his right to let the action play out. Yes, two corners are still the same action :p

mikerc

mikerc

I may have muttered some less than flattering things about Gareth Bale under my breath after he missed that penalty & before Wales grabbed that late goal. :D

chris

chris

Hey, look at that. I got at least one right prediction.

Dave

Dave

Yeah my fall from grace is happening right now. I knew it wouldn't last, but it would have been fun to win it all as an American.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Yeah my fall from grace is happening right now. I knew it wouldn't last, but it would have been fun to win it all as an American.
I'm closing in on you :devil:

Dave

Dave

I'm closing in on you :devil:
You're ahead of me now.

Bubble181

Bubble181

By the way, the group points are averaged, so how many people are in a group actually doesn't matter too much.

And all of us are really quite close for the moment, within one goal of one another, so, exciting :-D

Dave

Dave

I'm now #3 in our group. Told you the fall was going to be spectacular! At one point I was about 70 points ahead of everyone.

mikerc

mikerc

I'm now #3 in our group. Told you the fall was going to be spectacular! At one point I was about 70 points ahead of everyone.
I don't think it's updated with the scores from England - Scotland yet. Your 5 points from that will put you back ahead of me.

But Scotland didn't lose so I'm happy anyway :D.

Bubble181

Bubble181

@Dave and I are close now but our scores for Spain - Poland are very different so... This might change things.

Dave

Dave

Yeah I'm the only one in the group that has Poland winning. So I can potentially lose a LOT of ground.

And THIS is where my ignorance is making itself known. :)

Bubble181

Bubble181

Yeah I'm the only one in the group that has Poland winning. So I can potentially lose a LOT of ground.

And THIS is where my ignorance is making itself known. :)
Not impressed with Spain so far.

Dave

Dave

1-1 draw. Nobody predicted THAT.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I also just want to say that in the category of most unearned scores, that 5-0 Spain-Slovakia was really sad. Slovakia has been playing above their level all championship, Spain has been underperforming, and now suddenly it's the biggest goal difference of the championship, Slovakia is out and Spain is through with a monster score.

I don't mind Spain winning (I mean, it wouldn't have been my choice) but 5-0 was really far too heavy a toll. Also, the Slovakian goal keeper is an idiot.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Alright... Belgium facing Portugal, then Italy, and France is we keep on winning and everything goes as expected in the other matches. Yikes.

Dave

Dave

Boy I tell you what I'm still in the lead but I have no idea why. The scoring system after the initial rounds is confusing as shit. I have no idea what's going on.

Dave

Dave

Belgium's win is amazing if you look at the stat line. Portugal outshot them 23-6. Belgium's goalkeeper stepped up huge.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Eh, numbers don't say everything.
Portugal had a LOT more shots...But the number of shots that were actually dangerous wasn't all that high. I think 6 between the posts out of 27, and most of those were easy pick-ups, too. All in all I think Portugal managed to create 4 or 5 really good chances (on which we definitely needed Courtois :-D). The Belgians played the way France played against us in the WC 2018: with the hand brake on, keeping everything locked, sure and focused, efficient.
You won't hear me say Belgium was the better team, nor that we brought the prettiest football, though.

On the other hand, the Portuguese coach saying our victory was "unfair" and "unearned", while they played so well, is just unsporting and useless. Yeah, congrats, the best team doesn't always win, that's sports Not to mention this ref really shouldn't be blowing on this level. he's been sent home from a large tournament before, and he should be sent home again. KDB may recover by Friday, though unlikely - Hazard's EC is over. Witsel got just barely away from what was intended to be a leg breaker. Pepe ripped Lukaku's shirt from how hard and how long he was hanging on - and killed a scoring opportunity, which means it should always've been carded.
When they got in trouble, they resorted to typical Portugese play, which is really dangerous. Pepe deserved a second yellow card, Paulinha deserved a straight-up red, Moutinho deserved yellow. No to mention the amount of times they deliberately went looking for the physical contact in the second half.

Our defense mostly neutralized Ronaldo, our defensive midfield closed down most passing lines, forcing the Portuguese to try rash long balls, or specific chosen passing lines left open to players who were watched.

With KDB and hazard gone, Italy will definitely be a very hard nut to crack, and even if we do, we seem destined to lose to France in the semi-finals again.

bhamv3

bhamv3

It seems such a shame that this golden generation of Belgians hasn't won anything, and time is gradually running out.

Also it doesn't help that your golden generation coincided with a frankly ridiculous French squad.

Bubble181

Bubble181

It seems such a shame that this golden generation of Belgians hasn't won anything, and time is gradually running out.

Also it doesn't help that your golden generation coincided with a frankly ridiculous French squad.
If the French were allowed to field two teams, them playing against each other would be a pretty decent finals. The breadth of their base and the individual quality of their players in every position is just ridiculous.
I think I'd put Courtois as being perhaps a bit better than Lloris, but otherwise... Yeah.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Well, that sure was a match.

Dave

Dave

Fucking France. Gets a goal in the 78th minute that ruins my prediction. I'll still get points, but I WOULD have gotten 30 had they just stalled for time. Dicks. Never thinking about me when they play.

Dave

Dave

And then Switzerland fucks it up even more. Damn it!

Bubble181

Bubble181

Literally no-one saw this one coming.

Dave

Dave

And FRANCE IS OUT!

@Li3n

@Li3n

we seem destined to lose to France in the semi-finals again.
DENIED!!!!

mikerc

mikerc

Welp. Guess I'm not getting 75 points for predicting the eventual champions or the 20 points for the highest scorer. Damn you Switzerland! *Impotently shakes fist*

Dave

Dave

That was a fucking amazing game, though. Holy shit. The pressure on poor Mbappe must have been monumental. I sure hope the fans don't take it out on him. He's pretty great and this should not be his legacy.

jwhouk

jwhouk

NARRATOR: They totally took it out on him.

Dave

Dave

I may not get many points from that game, but since I had England moving on I think I'll do okay later.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Ukraine. Seriously? The only third who went home was the supposedly strongest one - Portugal. Three group winners have gone home.
The match was an absolute snoozer though.
The red card was a shame. There was clearly no intent. Deserved, it was a dangerous intervention, mind you. But I always prefer cards given for bad behavior over those given for bad choices or bad luck.

Dave

Dave

That had to be a red, though. It was such a late and dangerous tackle.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Blegh. Good match, bad outcome.

bhamv3

bhamv3

England's last four matches at the Euros have ended 0-0, 1-0, 2-0, and 4-0.

I predict an 8-0 win in their next match against Denmark. Math doesn't lie.

Dave

Dave

England's last four matches at the Euros have ended 0-0, 1-0, 2-0, and 4-0.

I predict an 8-0 win in their next match against Denmark. Math doesn't lie.
I have England winning 2-1. So I guess I'm going to be wrong.

Dave

Dave

I don't think there's a way for me to lose now. Most @mikerc can get out of the last two matches is 60 points if he gets both scores right. Same with @Bubble181. Meanwhile, I can get 45 or 55 if England wins and even if I get everything hilariously wrong, I'm still 89 points up on second place.

I put my ignorance to the test and proved that sometimes it's better to be lucky than good!

Dave

Dave

England wins 2-1. Called it. Gimme them 30 points and however many I get for England making it to the finals.

Dave

Dave

Never mind. They only score the full time score so I only got 5. And 55 from England moving on.

I feel ripped off.

Dave

Dave

Well shit. England screwed that penalty shootout really badly. Missing 3 of 5?!? The hell?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Well shit. England screwed that penalty shootout really badly. Missing 3 of 5?!? The hell?
Two of them were brought in specifically for the penalties. They hadn't touched a ball prior to kicking the penalty, which is an issue.
But yeah, that was weak.

@Li3n

@Li3n

At this point being all hype and screwing it up at the end is expected.

blotsfan

blotsfan

So football has not, in fact, come home.

mikerc

mikerc

@Dave I've sent you a friend request on Steam as apparently I need to have you on my friend list for 3 days before I can gift you your winnings..

@Li3n

@Li3n

So football has not, in fact, come home.
Nor did they get away with canning pasta:

bhamv3

bhamv3

The gleeful reactions to England losing are admittedly rather funny.

I think this one's my favorite so far.

1626057201853.png

chris

chris

I had to get up early for work so I couldn't watch the full match. After the shitty behavior of the fans I have to admit I feel a little bit of Schadenfreude.

chris

chris

Oh wow, I'm one third place. I didn't expect that.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Yup, I really lost a lot of ground in the final 4 and finals stages.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

And here comes the backlash. England showing the world why everyone hates them.