[Food] Eggnog 2017: Blog A Nog!

(and by "just in case" I mean either "just in case everyone loves it and I need a ton of it" or "just in case having 9 people in the house drives me to the brink of insanity and I need the solace of a gallon of boozy nog to get through the week")
I wondered if you were going to share.

--Patrick

We tried a chocolate milk at Whole foods once and were blown away by how rich and chocolatey it was. It's apparently produced by a local dairy, https://calderdairy.com/ , and they still bottle in glass (and have a bottle deposit so it's all reused).

We found out they produce a small batch of eggnog each year, and while it's expensive (1 quart for twice as much as an inexpensive brand half gallon of eggnog) we got one. There's no bottle deposit, so I suppose it's partially a collectable.

At any rate, I'll let you know how it goes (we haven't opened it yet), but I'd be interested if this is common for other local dairy farms around the US.

Do you have access to specialty, local diary eggnog?

We tried a chocolate milk at Whole foods once and were blown away by how rich and chocolatey it was. It's apparently produced by a local dairy, https://calderdairy.com/ , and they still bottle in glass (and have a bottle deposit so it's all reused).

We found out they produce a small batch of eggnog each year, and while it's expensive (1 quart for twice as much as an inexpensive brand half gallon of eggnog) we got one. There's no bottle deposit, so I suppose it's partially a collectable.

At any rate, I'll let you know how it goes (we haven't opened it yet), but I'd be interested if this is common for other local dairy farms around the US.

Do you have access to specialty, local diary eggnog?
I used to work about a mile and a half from that dairy.
They have a lobby restaurant, I believe.
I never went. :( (they were really expensive)

--Patrick

I'd have to sit down and compare the Calder's nog with other nogs. It's obviously richer and creamier, so it's premium, but I'm not sure that it's 6 times the cost in actual value for me. If I get it again I'll have to admit I'm not getting it because it's worth it, but because I want to.

Delicious, and I'll enjoy another cup or two before it's gone I'm sure.

For the record, when I was done making my egg nog pound cake, I decided to take a swig of that Pennsy Dutch stuff since it didn't look as foul as most nogs tend to look, and the hell! That is a heavy-handed mixed drink pretending to be egg nog! Maybe it was because I skipped lunch today, but I did NOT expect that much booze.

This is one of those drinks where Celt Z ends up dancing on the table tops in a Santa hat, I tell you whut...

Picked up what will almost certainly be our last 1/2 gallon of the season today. Had to go back to Old Fashion Dairy Nog this year, the Silk stuff was just too thin for some reason.

Woohoo! I was wrong about the previous carton being our last carton for this season. Our local market has tons left!

Finally went on sale.

Picked up two gallons (four half gallon cartons) for $4.
Hopefully ours will go on sale within the next few days and I can work on perfecting that cake for next year. I think I'll start by varying the rum selection. Last time I just used Kraken Spiced Rum, next time I'll use that in the cake and my Bacardi Silver for the glaze - it's a little over spiced this time.