EA Needs to F*** off and die

T

Tiq

Now now, gutting an IP and turning it into something unrecognizable isn't necessarily a bad thing. Sure, hardcore Fallout fans hate Fallout 3, but that doesn't make it a bad game.

No, gutting an IP and turning it into shit is a bad thing.
There's a difference between the evolution of a series and the bastardization of it.
Fair enough that line might be a very thin one, but it definitely exists and if anyone should be able to recognise it, it should be one of the biggest companies in the gaming world.

(contemporary) Anime tends to follow the same sort of trend. "Ooo, those guys have cards. We should have cards, too."..etc.

--Patrick
I need to figure out a way to make Slam Dunk popular again. "Oooh, those guys have basketball, we should totally have basketball too!"

From the way it sounds, Electronic Arts has essentially Microsofted itself. Which does not surprise me.

Disclaimer: the last EA Sports game I recall purchasing was NHL 99. The last EA game I actually enjoyed was Earl Weaver Baseball.

I must admit, while they're not exactly innovative, EA Sports games are generally extremely well done. FIFA 12 is a fantastic soccer game. My dad actually liked watching me play it, and was disappointed that I hadn't bought the UEFA championship tournament pack so he could see me play as the Czech national team.

I find EA Sports games tend to be solid rather than spectacular.

Of course, if you're going to be spending money on a game, you could do worse than buying something that's certain to offer solid gameplay.

I find EA Sports games tend to be solid rather than spectacular.

Of course, if you're going to be spending money on a game, you could do worse than buying something that's certain to offer solid gameplay.
It does depend a little on the game. I would consider FIFA 12 spectacular just because of how deep it can get without actually getting complicated. It's not an easy game to jump into (it's major failing; the PES series does a much better job of this), but after a little control familiarization, anyone can play just like they were watching a decent MLS game, and really good players can pull off some truly intense Premiere League/UEFA championships-level games.

NHL is similar. The interface isn't as polished, and it's a little feature light, but it's quick and easy to get into and have a great time.

Madden definitely falls into the category of too complicated for me. They pretty much buried the actual gameplay in stats. I understand why folks like it, that's cool, but I feel like Madden has too much gameplanning and not enough actual game. But that's just me.

Madden definitely falls into the category of too complicated for me. They pretty much buried the actual gameplay in stats. I understand why folks like it, that's cool, but I feel like Madden has too much gameplanning and not enough actual game. But that's just me.
In other words it's like an actual football game. Madden definitely has the bonus/downside of needing to know more than just the general jist of the sport. I like the NHL series, especially with some of the gameplay features they've been adding the past few years. Being able to push up against the boards happens so often in NHL games I'm honestly surprised it was only recently added a few years ago.

Roster updates, graphical improvements (animation in particular), commentary improvements (GAH!), physics improvements, New stadiums (less often), rule changes. There's plenty of stuff to work on from year to year, the idea of foul play is rather absurd.

S

SeraRelm

Roster updates? Commentary? Rules changes? Really? They could do that with a single patch. Graphical improvement is very slow, same with physics. I've yet to see 3 years in a row with an improvement worth $60 in those departments. When it comes down to it, it's almost the same god damned game each year and the stuff they're doling out is minor additions that could be put in one single year, but they do it yearly for the money.

Necronic

Staff member
Well yeah, the "New Model" issue with sports games is pretty ridiculous.

Although maybe the whole thing is just done to pay for another year of licensing with the NFL and the players. Now, if you want to talk about a gaming company that will screw over fans for any penny they can get. Well, I would like to introduce you to the soul-less beast that is the NFL

FIFA 12 actually completely re-did their physics, dribbling, and defending engines. There's considerably more fine control now than in previous years. Now, I suspect that 13 won't add much and I'll probably skip it, but I figure if people are happy buying yearly updates, then let them.

It's not the Madden fans crying out for change, that's for sure. :p

I buy NHL games every year. Pay 60$ then in April sell it for 25$. I don't mind it though the NHL 12 wasn't a whole lot improvement from NHL 11.

NBA Jam on the sega genesis. Cheat codes on. Motherfucking slam dunk from half court while playing as the mascot for the Timberwolves.

Only other one I've played outside some generic MLB 2000-something is that old Robot baseball one in arcades way back when. Baseball 2020 or something.

ElJuski

Staff member
Baseball Simulator 1,000 kept me entertained for hours as a kid. But none of these games have the Ken Griffey voice-over, which is excellent.

Necronic

Staff member
Huh, I didn't even realize that was a real person. I just really enjoyed a basketball game where I could punch the other guy. Constantly.

Edit: Yeah I googled that as well.

Edit2: oh he's talking about the review guy.

T

Tiq

Oh good, that hypogonadic fat idiot troll.
To be fair to him, sterling is gradually learning to listen to the shit people tell him, which is more than I can say for 90% of the people who call themselves professional games journalists.

T

Tiq

I was replying to Tiq, but having watched the video, I can't believe I'd say this but I agree with Jim Sterling.....
Trust me sir, I used to hate his guts, but he's genuinely starting to wise up.

It doesn't help though that most of the "writers" on destructoid are more than happy to follow in his path by trolling for page hits, at a point when jim is slowly learning the error of doing so.

I used to avoid destructoid like the plague, but it's gotten significantly better in the last couple of years. Community is still pretty awful, but the articles have definitely gotten better (not just Jim's).

T

Tiq

I used to avoid destructoid like the plague, but it's gotten significantly better in the last couple of years. Community is still pretty awful, but the articles have definitely gotten better (not just Jim's).
Some of the writers are getting great, but some of them honestly disgust me, at times.

Tony ponce is turning into a bigger troll than jim, and jonathan holmes is embarassing to watch, especially when he passive aggresively complains about anything, and then acts like a wounded puppy whenever anyone calls him on talking shit... the man has no balls whatsoever.