Dwarf Fortress Bloodline!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wahad said:
Silver Jelly said:
really, what is this thing telling me to do?

"Note 3: DFG REQUIRES A SCREEN RESOLUTION OF 1280x1024 PIXELS! If you want to play on a smaller vertical resolution, you have to edit the data/init/init.txt accordingly. Subdivide the desired resolution by 16 to get the number of tiles (currently 64)."

I don't understand what the vertical resolution is, what does subdividing by 10 to get the number of tiles, wich currently are 64...

Could any of you download this just to check out the txt file and suggest me what to do to play with a 1024 x 768 screen resolution?
The vertical resolution for a 1024x768 resolution would be 768. It's always horizontal x vertical.

To get DFG working, you need to divide 768 by 16 (yielding a result of 48, whereas 1024 [the recommended resolution] divided by 16 yields a result of 64 [the current amount of tiles]). What you do is search the downloaded files for the init.txt (NOTE: there are also .txt files called init MAX or somesuch, don't use those, just the init.txt file) and look for the text which says [FULLGRID:80:64] Here you edit the 64 with the required amount (48 in your case) and save the file.

HOWEVER, I think it would also be advisable to chance the horizontal resolution tiles accordingly seeing as 1280 is required but you have 1024.

If this crashes the game for some reason (unlikely, but you never know) just re-install.
Oh yeah, it worked!! Thanks a lot!!

Now, to try to figure out how to play this monster...

P

Pojodan

Silver Jelly said:
Rule #1: You will lose... a lot. But losing is fun! Keep that in mind

Rule #2: Knowing you will lose a lot, experiement.. do crazy shit like trying to build a waterfall in front of your entrance or seeing what happens when you do everything you can to make the dwarfs go insane You learn a lot in the process.

Rule #3: Get your family really mad at you so you have reason to hide away for the next month or two

I haven't figured out growth and design yet. But I learnt how to sustain the dwarves. At least they won't die. That's good enough for me.

Pojodan said:
Silver Jelly said:
Rule #1: You will lose... a lot. But losing is fun! Keep that in mind

Rule #2: Knowing you will lose a lot, experiement.. do crazy shit like trying to build a waterfall in front of your entrance or seeing what happens when you do everything you can to make the dwarfs go insane You learn a lot in the process.

Rule #3: Get your family really mad at you so you have reason to hide away for the next month or two
This game is Freaking impossible. I don't even understand the basic controls...

... I think I'll stop posting in this thread, because I'm slowly discovering how stupid I am, and I'll just sit back and enjoy the chronicles of this Dwarven bloodline.

Silver, look up the Dwarf Fortress video tutorials by captnduck on youtube. They're a great help.

As of now, my first fortress (Axebane the Infallible Blossom of Oblivion) is up and running with only the bare minimum. Chances are I might be able to gain enough experience in time and apply for a seat in this bloodline game - or, if that fails, maybe another time.

P

Pojodan

Wahad said:
Silver, look up the Dwarf Fortress video tutorials by captnduck on youtube. They're a great help.

As of now, my first fortress (Axebane the Infallible Blossom of Oblivion) is up and running with only the bare minimum. Chances are I might be able to gain enough experience in time and apply for a seat in this bloodline game - or, if that fails, maybe another time.
One of the big things about Dwarf fortress that definately goes down as it's least intuative feature is this:
Up/Down/Left/Right can be w/s/a/d, u/m/h/k, or the arrow keys depending on where you are
Page up and down can be either PgUp/PgDn or / and *, again depending on where you are
Scroll up and scroll down can be -/+ or the arrow keys (or both!), depending on where you are.

So, basically, you have to learn what the controls are for each individual screen as they can be wildlly different than another screen.

This all goes along with my early note that in order to even get STARTED you need to know about 90% of everything you need to know, ever. Don't feel bad if it proves too daunting to be fun.

Necronic said:
We getting an update today?
Yes please.. I'm eager to get going on dis!

Pojodan said:
One of the big things about Dwarf fortress that definately goes down as it's least intuative feature is this:
Up/Down/Left/Right can be w/s/a/d, u/m/h/k, or the arrow keys depending on where you are
Page up and down can be either PgUp/PgDn or / and *, again depending on where you are
Scroll up and scroll down can be -/+ or the arrow keys (or both!), depending on where you are.
No offense, but that's just crummy design :-P

Dear Mother and Father,

May Logem watch over you for he has surely abandoned me.

Today I awoke to cries of great disgust in the main hall.

Some creature must have died next to the alcohol supply and despite the obvious need to find whatever or whoever died dwarves instead continued o dunk themselves in the wine barrells.

... As the Miasma continued to spread. I spent most of the day fielding complaints about the smell. In the early afternoon Edem came into my room to inform me that it was infact a small lizard that stunk up our storage haul.

Of course nobody has bothered to clean it up. These dwarves are as useless as an elven made sword.

Of course the remains of lizards is not the only source of unholy stench in our home. There is the butcher's workshop. Where my fellow dwarves are hard at work butchering the animals that our hunters bring home. That is of course in a dwarven stronghold where the residents do their jobs.

No apparently the Butchers shop is nothing more than a place for the hunters to drop off their kills and the butchers to watch it as it slowly dissolves into several rotten chunks. Normally I wouldn't overly care about the wasted meat but for some daft dwarves the route through the butchers shop is some sort of grand short cut. a disgusting shortcut that let's the smell of rotting meat out into the halls but what's disgusting yourself and the rest of the camp in order to save a few seconds?

And to top it all off the only place anybody goes to hang out is the tomb of the last head dwarf.

I've wanted to seal it off for weeks now but there is never a time when the tomb isn't filled with workers shirking their duties. I had to relieve my armorer from his duties after I assigned him several armor making jobs and he casually informed me that he had no job. I've since made him head weaver and clothsmaker for his insolence.

But not everything is a complete and total elfjob. No We have finished my clothing industry and are currently making cloths for the residents.

Our first crop of Pigtails is still a little while away but I think it will turn out great. Also I have revolutionized the exploritory mining operations here. instead of the old way which revealed very little I've started running many shafts straight down instead of out. Sure it takes a long time to plan out but I believe I will be proven right.

Later I may add cross tunnels but for now I've decided this is the way we will do business in the mining game.

C

Chronos[Ha-G]

Necronic said:
Hey man, my tomb is just where its at!
I told you not to carve those nudie pictures all over your coffin. Now look what you've done!

Oh man, this game looks fun as hell... I'm watching the youtube tutorials and will be starting to play around with the game on my own soon. I probably won't be able to get in on this bloodline game but the commentary is priceless and a great read :).

25th of Felsite

Dear Mother and Father,

With the most recent influx of immigrants our expidition leader CHronos decided the fortress was big enough to declare himself Mayor. Though I haven't found myself actually finding a reason to care. Well at least until a few days later when he declared that I could no longer export any items made of Rose gold. Which by itself isn't too bad of a declaration but I've heard that export banning is the first step of an unhappy mayor.

So I'm going to have to take some time to make him happy in order to stop a massive influx of demands and the eventual spiral into madness and him stalking the halls killing whoever he sees before he is put down by the military. I guess it's easier to just carve him out a good office and fill it with nessesities.

In other news Ast Elotkol one of our "champions" had an accident while sparring and died before anybody could get her into a hospital bed.

Of course I immidiately began a investigation into the cause of his death whether it was a all around mistake or if this was the culmination of a long held grudge. But just as my investigation was going a miner burst into my room demanding my presense to see the new vein he had found.

He had of course just struck a vein of worthless rock that is no more useful than the piles of 8000+ rocks we have infesting every inch of the fortress. Of course it was very important that I knew bout this particular find right away instead of doing my job.

After this the entire fortress decided that I needed to know everytime they stop their job to take a piss break.

Every few minutes I get another notification about somebody cancelling their job to take care of some need. It doesn't seem to be slowing at all always increasing and increasing. I think this stress is starting to effect me. I was checking out my past engravings and I found this little gem.

I had no idea that Urvad's death had such an effect on me but I find myself dwelling on it more and more these days.

C

Chronos[Ha-G]

If we get any Rose Gold - IT IS PROHIBITED FROM LEAVING THE FORTRESS. I've always wanted a Rose-Gold Chalice, and seeing as how I've thus far been unable to extricate myself from this miserable dump I may as well afford myself that.

OOC: Sorry about the time between updates life's going crazy. should be done tonight.

Dear Mother and Father,

Life here at Patterned Books is proceeding well my exploritory mining operations are proceeding at a breakneck pace thanks to the skill of my miners.

Soon I should find a wealth of metals and gems. Although all I've found are multiple veins of Platinum which is a great boon to our wealth but to the detriment of the military.

To put another win in my success column my clothing industry is maturing at great speed. My Pig Tail crop has an incredibly bounty of PigTails that will keep the looms humming with industry for decades to come. Only real downside is that nobody in the fortress is a trained clothier or a very good weaver so I've had to fill my ranks with people who have burned through their stock of raw materials for their jobs. Hopefully the next immigrants will include the dwarves nessesary to produce quality goods.

And the most glorious thing happened this morning. Went I did my daily tour of Necromonic's tomb I found that the only thing in there was a stray Muskox. I immidiatley shut and locked the door even as a group of dwarves was coming down the hall to "hang out"

No more will I have to deal with lazy dwarves admiring the fancy tomb.

But life is never the unending string of victories that we would hope for. Everybody keeps on telling me when they;re taking a piss break and they refuse to listen to me as I insist that I really don't need to know nor do I care.

Also one of our fisherdwarves has been taken by a strange mood and refuses to eat or talk to others until he gets the silk cloth he needs to complete his masterpiece. I have of course taken the precaution of stationing the squads outside the door. We'll probably need to store him in a water tight container after he's been slurried by my dwarven cuisinarts.

The last bit of news is neither good nor bad. It's just disturbing. It turns out my best hunter doesn't hunt with crossbow and bolt. He hunts his prey with nothing more than his bare hands

What makes this such an accomplishment is that it was he who hunted down and killed the mole who killed our first hunter Urvad. I can almost imagine him wrestling that killer into the air and breaking the creature over his knee covered in both the creatures blood and his own.

The fact that he has done it to 25 more creatures chills me to the bone. He has truely earned the title rackmurders.

Always with my love,
Dubyamn

P

Pojodan

A hunter that pounces upon and wrestles it's prey before snaping it's spine? Holy hell! Give that dwarf some nice armor pronto!

Dear Mother and Father,

May Logem look over you. I am very sorry that I haven't written for several months you must be so worried. There has not yet been any sign of goblins near the fort but my time has been at a premium none the less. You remember how I finnally managed to seal off the tomb that was leading so many of our workers astray. However I sealed a female muskox inside which has lead to a... colony of muskox in the tomb.

We only had one merchant convoy come this year which was was far too late to save the fisherdwarf taken by a strange mood. After he failed the construction he fell into a deep depression and refused to eat, drink or take care of himself in any way. He died of starvation after refusing all attempts to make him better.

However I took care to give the merchant a very healthy profit margin in the hopes that caravans will come more often and with more goods to sell

Hopefully it worked because he left with a good 10,000 dwarfbuck profit. He did of course leave us a kings ransom in silks, and steel weapons and armor.

The next individual to fall into a mood was none other than our mayor Chronos.

He took over a jewelers shop, grabbed a single unit of raw gems and created... an entire barrel.

I have no idea how he did it how he turned a single raw gem into an entire barrel defies all rational logic. Watching him make his slap accross the second law of thermodynamics was more akin to watching a wizard than a usual gem cutter. Either way I have a legendary gem cutter as well as a jaw dropping barrel.

My term is now coming to an end. Looking back upon my term i realize that I haven't progressed to terribly much. expansion of the bedrooms has stalled, I never did carve out that new butcher's alcove that I wanted. And much of that was because my exploritory mining operation was just far too aggresive and took up too much of my miner's time and energy. Athough we did find several veins of metal ores we never found a vein of iron to start our steel production. I therefore have postponed many of the shafts and the few that are left should be done soon allowing my replacement to continue them at his disgression.

P

Pojodan

Chronos[Ha-G said:
]What can I say - I really wanted a gold opal barrel.
You're a real gem, Chronos,, that is to say, you're a big, empty barrel :teeth:

The reason I was rush-rush earlier was due to my being gone for this weekend :waah: , but I'll get right on it as soon as I get home on Sunday, and knowing my relationship with Dwar Fortress, will likely have a long series of updates for Monday.

Edit: May I add that I already hate Mediafire :devil:

C

Chronos[Ha-G]

Pojodan said:
May I add that I already hate Mediafire :devil:
Only reason I used it to host mine - and I guess because of that, everyone else followed suit - is because it was the first thing to pop up when I google'd "file hosting". What's wrong with it?

P

Pojodan

Chronos[Ha-G said:
]
Pojodan said:
May I add that I already hate Mediafire :devil:
Only reason I used it to host mine - and I guess because of that, everyone else followed suit - is because it was the first thing to pop up when I google'd "file hosting". What's wrong with it?
Just not very intuative for how I'm supposed to use it and it kept throwing up popup adds that had that annoying 'Are you sure you want to close this?' dialogue.

Of course, finding a free file sharing service that accepts files of 10+ megs is likely difficult to do, so oh well.

Err, guys...It's called Hotmail Skydrive. It's free, easy-if-not-overly-fast, and has a file size upload limit of 50MB.
No MP3s or whatever, but I don't think that's an issue here, right?

P

Pojodan

Bubble181 said:
Err, guys...It's called Hotmail Skydrive. It's free, easy-if-not-overly-fast, and has a file size upload limit of 50MB.
No MP3s or whatever, but I don't think that's an issue here, right?
I'll try that one, thank you.

P

Pojodan

Journal of Poj Odan, Geologist 2nd class of the High King:

14th Opal, 203

Patterned Books?!

Who the bloody hell names a fortress 'Patterned Books'?

I can only hope to Armok that it was a grave misinterpritation of the founder's ramblings while he was drunk off his ass in celebration. Perhaps it was supposed to be 'Engraved Inscriptions', or something far less 'I'm a human lover and want to spend all day sitting in a high tower, withering away staring endlessly at the ramblings of some madman half a world away'

Patterned Books...

It's any wonder the High Councel has been so disppointed by the performance of the 3-year old expedition that they had to send an expert on metals and their locations within the earth. I'll be surprised if they even brought a pick with them and have been making wooden structures this whole time.

Patterned Books.....

Ugh.

2nd Obsidian, 203

My caravan has been assembled and we depart this afternoon for... Patterned Books... I swear if I see one human in a robe over the next year I'm going to personally kill someone.

28th Obsidian, 203

I'm not even going to spare the details of the last month as this is meant for official business only, but suffice to say it is damned luck I made it here alive, and wouldn't you know it that the expedition leader of this bloody place decided to set up right at the base of a near vertical mountain cliff that can be seen from every bloody goblin camp this side of the Desert Plains and is probably the first place they'd trek to find drawf encampments to raid. Great... I forsee a whole hell of a lot of problems already and I just pulled in to rest my aching feet.

At -least- they have everything underground and had the decency to have an anvil with them so I can get back to my hobby of armorsmithing. That is if some bloody iron can be located in this Armok forsaken place.. judging by the ammount of copper mail and badly dinged copper weapons this 'fortress' has equiped it's military with, I'd say we may as well call it 'Patterned gravestones' for all the good such a soft metal will do for protecting dwarfs from goblin weapons, shoddy as they may be. I saw a few steel items, but I'm betting they were traded for.

The entrance had a decent smattering of traps and looks promising for some good defence when the goblins inevitably follow all the obvious indications of a fortress and come to attack, though I've seen no sign of any ballistas nor proper placements for any, though the present barraks looks like it could be converted to a ballista firing range without much trouble.

As far as my geological impressions so far, the mountain cliffs are clearly felsite, and where there's felsite, there's hematite, not that there isn't already enough red here, what with red sand being tracked all over the place. At least a decent glassworks can be put in motion before I end my term here. Much of the Fortress interior was Orthoclase and Gabbro, which is odd to see together, but it means that the fortress sits upon a fault line between different rock plates, which is good as it means we'll have a nice variety of ores and gems. The stairway leading down to the dorms was largely chalk, which is a HUGE releif as any fortress without flux matterial is downright worthless. Can't say Chalk is my favorite flux, give me Dolomite any day, but it'll do and makes steel just as well. With any luck the Orthoclase I mentioned is a sign of some zinc deposits so we can get some nice brass sculptures for the dining hall.

My first irritation, though, is that the dormatory was built both half in a microcline vein, who's bright blue would drive any decent dwarf insane, and that it's directly below the workshop area, and I can hear dwarfs stomping around up there, even through all this Gabbro and chalk.

Sigh.... Patterned Books... here's hoping the books are in order around here.

P

Pojodan

1st Granite, 204

Happy New Year, the first day of my official position, and what am I greeted with by the miners when I ask for their present mining operation?

This:

I... can't even begin to describe just how depressed this makes me.

With Only a couple tetrahedrite and garnierite veins and one small gold vein found so far they're already set to strip mining an area of Gabbro that had, so far, yielded a few small pockets of platium and fire opal. This certainly isn't a bad thing, but mighty Armok! We don't even have any iron veins yet! And Gabbro doesn't even contain iron. Did the previous overseers of this project even read a book?

From the way some of my predecessors write, I'd say no, especially with the way they like to correct themselves to be more politically correct.

What. The. Hell.

A dwarf speeks is mind, Armok damn it!

From this point forth, all attempts at shaddowing the truth will be axed in favor of more dwarven language.

Ahem.

This is how you search for iron veins, [strike:x4b460f8]my fellow dwarves[/strike:x4b460f8] you ignorant codpieces.

And who's bloody idea was it to fill the stocks with WINE?!?

Wine is for [strike:x4b460f8]mellow, relaxed[/strike:x4b460f8] pansy ass dwarfs and we've got the whole bloody fort swimming in it! I've ordered all Plump Helmets fit only for eating so this wine deluge can be put to an end.

At least the [strike:x4b460f8]last ruler[/strike:x4b460f8] previous idiot had the smarts to keep the records up to date:

So while all of that booze is [strike:x4b460f8]wine[/strike:x4b460f8] sissy juice, at least we're not forced to stoop to drinking from the rather poorly designed cistern located smack in the middle of the workshop area:

And what's worse, the fellows in the workshops where climbing over piles of finished goods to do their work! Look at this!

My first order of my term was to shut down ALL work and put EVERYONE on hauling duty to clean up this [strike:x4b460f8]fortress[/strike:x4b460f8] sandy maze of passy asses.

My headache wasn't helped any when I was shown the finer works of the local craftsdwarfs:

Two buckets, a barrel, and a cage. No doubt quite useful for [strike:x4b460f8]holding the spoils of the earth[/strike:x4b460f8] letting the male dwarfs gather, two-by two together and cuddle while quaffing Armok's gift towards elf lovers.

I need an ale.... NOW

P

Pojodan

5th Slate, 204

I cannot begin to express just how [strike:3k138tu7]annoyed[/strike:3k138tu7] pissed off I am about just how cluttered this [strike:3k138tu7]fortress[/strike:3k138tu7] garbage heap has become!

The lack of magma leaves me unable to find valid reason to not assist with the clean-up effort, so I'm trudging around, sorting crap all day long.

The miners [strike:3k138tu7]were being difficult[/strike:3k138tu7] pissed me off to no end by being stubborn about their strip mining effort, refusing to set into the iron-rich sedimentary layers untill I finally just outright destoryed the plans for the previous mining operation and told them, in no simpler terms, that it was my way or [strike:3k138tu7]else[/strike:3k138tu7] the chasm.

Speaking of the chasm, I noticed an odd stench and noted that the ratmen seemed to have gone innactive.. maybe we somehow cut off their food source and they died off? I can only hope.. one less annoyance to deal with.

The muskoxen, however, seem determined to be underfoot.. that is to say, taking up the ENTIRE WIDTH of the mining shafts as they dwadle around, repoducing like rabbits. I finally decided enough was enough and put a few of the cages laying around to good use and had the oxen caged up till further notice. The huntsmen keep dragging in goats for slaughter, so might as well save the tame animals for if we get in trouble.

Things are starting to get in shape around here, though clearly I need to setup some larger stockpile areas as we're overflowing with some items, like barrels and bins (Which is a good thing, for sure), and booze (A very good thing, esepcially since a third of it is ale, a third rum, the rest of the wine, which I'm glad to say that most of the dwarfs seemed to ween themselves from pretty quick once the harder liquors started flowing.)

The miners have been chipping away at the chalk layer I specified at last, and I send one out to scale the cliffside to dig a shaft and see if he can determine if there's any magma in that vicinity... so far, no luck.

I found the fellow that fancies himself a cook hiding away in one of the craft stations a few days ago and he refused to help clean up till he was finished. Not having the energy to fight it I left him be, and what did he produce this morning?:

A scepter. made of bones, rat leather, and rock. As utterly worthless this item is, I cannot help but be impressed by the quality of it. Seems the experience really enlightened him on the nature of rock and the couple of chalk items he made as I watched were amazing. I'll be setting up a special shop for this fellow so he can crank out all the chalk junk he wants.. won't hurt getting the trade caravans to cough up some useful stuff, and maybe if we do find some obsidian I can have him put together some obsidian swords, which was downright deadly when made properly. Will get some copper swords made right away for practise.

Only other items of note was getting some decent leather armor crafted, which is no better than bronze chain mail, perhaps, but at least the fighters can look consistant till I can start producing some proper iron and steel for them.

Chronos has been bitching about not having a good enough office to work in, which only serves to remind me that if we -do- strike iron the King will surely send a Baron to come and [strike:3k138tu7]help me organize this place[/strike:3k138tu7] give me more stupid problems to tend to.

I hope he likes Chalk.

P

Pojodan

You know what I just now realized?

Our fort does not have access to ANY other civilization! I'd need to do some playing around to figure out why, but in over 3 years there have been NO humans, elves, goblins, or kobolds, which means the only threat to the fortress in any way in megabeasts (dragons, titans, collossi) which are, as I understand, wimpy.

I'll also note that the land area is HUGE. What is it, 8x8? It's making my PC crawl and doing any mining out towards the edges of the map takes my miners to long to get to that they stop for a drink before digging very much =/

I'd hate to call a mulligan at this point, but as it is we're basically gonna be twiddling our thumbs waiting for the yearly dwarf caravan and the off chance that a dragon shows up.

P

Pojodan

Backed up my save game and then abandoned so I could check the legends and map. Sure enough, goblins and kobolds have been wiped off the face of the planet while humans and elves only populate small areas, none of which are anywhere near our fortress.

With all the ratmen gone, this place is gonna be pretty dull and a massive memory hog to boot (Checked the Reclaim feature and turns out the plot was 12X12!)

I vote we start over, this time with a 4x4 or 3x5 plot on a newly gened world that actually has stuff for us to deal with.

C

Chronos[Ha-G]

Crap. Out of all the starting areas I made, the only one I find passable has no hindrances whatsoever. Errr - sorry.

If we start-over, I'd prefer if someone else started it - While, honestly, I liked everything else about starting it (Original floor plan to the fortress, initial set of problems/conditions, etc.), I'm notoriously picky when it comes to a starting area - I eventually gave up after N number of times trying to find a suitable one, and that's why the area is so large for this one - couldn't find "everything" closer together.

Status
Not open for further replies.