Dwarf Fortress Bloodline (take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pojodan

I'd suggest building a backdoor, as it were, just a short section of tunnel, enough for a locking door, then stairs up to the plateu above so you can get out (and migrants can get it) when the front door is magma flooded.

Pojodan said:
I'd suggest building a backdoor, as it were, just a short section of tunnel, enough for a locking door, then stairs up to the plateu above so you can get out (and migrants can get it) when the front door is magma flooded.
And this way, teenage dwarves can sneak out to see their teenage friends you don't like.

P

Pojodan

Silver Jelly said:
Pojodan said:
And this way, teenage dwarves can sneak out to see their teenage friends you don't like.

C

Chronos[Ha-G]

Holy crap, the fortress has really taken off since I stopped being leader. I guess it is me...

Status report on the dwarven fortress of Kinudil, year 203 continued [to be EDITED before submission]

by Ezum 'Wahad' Mogshumducim

27th of Felsite

I have ordered a tunnel to be made to the outside world for emergency purposes. I included a bauxite door at the end - in case the magma flood goes that far.

When it was completed, I could tally the new migrants.

1 stoneworker
1 thresher
1 mason
4 peasants
1 trapper
1 fish cleaner
1 hunter
1 child

and a few assorted animals.

This brings our population up to 37. I have also drafted the fish cleaner, hunter, trapper, and one peasant into the military, which now consists of 2 hammerdwarves, two axedwarves, two wrestlers, one marksdwarf and a handful of wardogs.

Also, the construction to the roof of the forest-cavern has been resumed. [strike:qy94761r]I still think it's a silly project, but if the roof is not constructed the mines might overflow with magma from the flooding system. Why couldn't he have made it somewhere else?! Keep those sieges in mind, you dolt![/strike:qy94761r]

4th of Hematite

Summer has begun by a thief stealing a sock from the trading depot. Most likely he has snuck through the emergency corridor - I have put a donkey on a chain at its end so we do not have any more of those rotten thieves - next time they might steal something valuable.

6th of Hematite

My day began quite nastily by some malorous odor penetrating my nose as I woke up. It seems that more dwarves have died than I anticipated. I have suspended construction of the forest-cavern-roof and ordered more coffins built - this is hardly an ideal situation.

7th of Hematite

The possessed jeweler, after lounging about in the dining room for ages, went insane and got stricken by melancholy. Collateral damage, though it puts us without a jeweler for the time being.

Furthermore I have ordered the construction an archery range for target practice, plus bone bolts for said target practice.

13th of Hematite

The humans arrived! Unfortunately, the bridge was too narrow for their big wagons. The one-man caravans, however, made it through. Chronos is meeting with them for trade.

19th of Hematite

The trade agreement has finished - we got booze and food, plus some bolts, in exchange for the gnomeblight barrel plus some goblin armor. Not a bad deal, if I say so myself.

The human guild emissary has received our request for bolts, booze, food, and ropes. In exchange, he wanted:

22nd of Hematite

AMBUSH!

1st of Malachite

The magma-flood was unbearably slow and still has not reached the goblins outside of the blastdoors. However, a human guard who was taking a stroll outside the trade depot initiated combat with the goblins and got killed, unfortunately.

Furthermore, a miner initiated a party. Apparently he was so emboldened by the magma-flooding system [strike:qy94761r]or drunk[/strike:qy94761r] he shouted: "Hah! Those goblins got nothing on our fine dwarven death-traps! Free booze for everyone with a beard!" [strike:qy94761r]Idiots.[/strike:qy94761r]

3rd of Malachite

The magma-flooding system did absolutely nothing. The goblins were unfortunately smart enough not to cross the bridge so they were trapped. As a result, they stayed far, far away from the lava. In a glimpse of tactical brilliance, I positioned the military in the emergency corridor, then taunted the goblins into entering it. A satisfactory massacre was the result. The only friendly casualties were a cat or two and the human guards unfortunate enough to be outside at the moment.

5th of Malachite

I can't believe it! Another ambush!

8th of Malachite

While goblins were chasing a stray cat, a human ended up ambushing the creature.

The big problem, however, was that he left the goblins alone. I have no idea as to his reasoning. This could potentially be a declaration of war. We should prepare.

12th of Malachite

I can't believe it! More goblins! I opted for the same approach as with the very first ambush, however that only led to the death of a hammerdwarf, his war dog and a peasant.

Armok must be very angry at our doings.

26th of Malachite

The human merchants went away, but were unfortunately killed by the goblins waiting outside. Apparently satisfied with the spilled blood, the ambush parties left.

I noticed my aquifer puncture plan isn't working as I had hoped it would - I should expand the corridor above it and construct another well.

My main concern, however, is the slaughtering of the merchants. War is all too often sparked by a misunderstanding, and the heap of bodies outside our fortress could very easily lead to such a misunderstanding. Accursed goblins. Human siege-parties might be a very probable danger now.

C

Chronos[Ha-G]

Yeah - If I had enough time, the other thing I would've tried was getting a 2nd tunnel - feeding off the magma in the moat - to flood the entrance from the left side in addition to the right. I wanted to focus on getting at least one working, though - and I was barely able to do that with the constant goblin interruptions.

P

Pojodan

The main problem with the magma flood system is this: It feeds off only the first Z-level of the magma pipe.

If a series of pumps could be stacked like so:

To reach down to 4-5 Z-levels of the magma pipe, then that magma would probably flood the whole valley in front of the fortress

Status report on the dwarven fortress of Kinudil, year 203 continued [to be EDITED before submission]

5th of Galena

Unfortunately, the melancholy-stricken jeweler died. It puts us without a jeweler for the time being, and our population at 34. To remedy possible further thirst-invoked deaths, I have constructed a new well above the punctured aquifer, which has a sufficient water source. It will do quite nicely in the event of sieges.

4th of Limestone

Autumn has come, and with it I have ordered the construction of the cavern-roof to be resumed. Furthermore, I have ordered the digging of a new tunnel for the magma-flooding system, to have a more speedy flood and a faster resolve of ambushes and sieges. It will be two meters wide instead of the one of the current tunnel.

10th of Limestone

Wonderful news! Our craftsdwarf gave birth to a little healthy baby-boy!

13th of Limestone
The dwarven caravan arrived, as well as the liaison. They have started unloading their goods and will be meeting with Chronos and myself soon.

20th of Limestone
The new floodtunnel was almost completed. The floodgates were installed and linked to the lever so that the miner could get out before the flood. Or, that was the plan anyway. The magma was unfortunately too fast for him, but, being a true dwarf, he swam through the flowing magma to reach the exit.

23rd of Limestone
We got some steel bars, bolts, and seeds in exchange for some goblin weaponry and a craftsbin from the caravan.

I requested food, drink, seeds, bolts, barrels and ropes from the hamlet liaison.

In return, he asked for the following:

11th of Sandstone

The magma-swimming miner trudged forth, but unfortunately didn't make it. I had to close gates to prevent flooding of the fortress, and he drowned.

22nd of Sandstone

Our furnace operator suddenly began acting strangely. He muttered something while walking to the craftsdwarves' workshop, where he started sketching things. A quarry, cut gems and a forest.

I have no idea what he wants, but I've promoted a peasant to jeweler and had him cut some gems after constructing a workshop.

5th of Timber

A pack of monkeys came and stole some goblin clothing from the corpses outside. To teach them a lesson, I sent the military out for practice combat, but the rotten thieves were gone afore the dwarves could get any blow in.

8th of Timber

The secretive operator created a maple bracelet. It's quite crafty, if I say so myself. Splendid quality. It will make a good addition to our hoard.

It commemorates the striking down of the ambush-goblins we had in summer. By...a human. That's kind of a shame. [strike:2d4qs1y7]It should have been a dwarf[/strike:2d4qs1y7] But I suppose you can't go against the inspiration of the gods.

Also, in walking through the fortress, my nose detected malorous odors everywhere - in the barracks, the dining room, the farm area, everywhere! To remedy it, I have ordered all refuse outside in stockpiles.

P

Pojodan

Magma swimming, the new dwarven olympic sport :teeth:

So, that's both of the legendary miners dead now? Cripes :sadness:

Oh well... pretty quick learning curve for newbies on that, just gotta save excavating any ore veins till they stop destroying every other stone they dig out.

Pojodan said:
Magma swimming, the new dwarven olympic sport :teeth:

So, that's both of the legendary miners dead now? Cripes :sadness:

Oh well... pretty quick learning curve for newbies on that, just gotta save excavating any ore veins till they stop destroying every other stone they dig out.
Nah, we still have one left if I'm right.

P

Pojodan

Necronic said:
Ok, my internets is officially on now! Hopefully I can jump in soon. Just let me know when.
You can take it up after Wahad, who's finished soon, I hope.

((Sorry about that, homework was more than expected so I was busy yesterday.))

8th of Moonstone

Now that winter has come, one of our wrestlers has passed the test of champions! All shall fall before his might! [strike:13bjjbpi]Or, you know, melt to death in our lava deathtrap.[/strike:13bjjbpi]

As indicated by the above picture, I have ordered the removal of the excess hill sticking out in front of the floodgates, so as to increase the efficiency of the flood.

8th of Obsidian

Spurred on by the now-revered champion, another dwarf has passed the test of champions. Our military is starting to become a force to be rockend with now.

Furthermore, because of the excess platinum we have lying around, I ordered some barrels to be made. Our food needs storing and we also need more booze.

19th Obsidian

Yet another wrestler has become a champion! Soon enough the mountainhomes will buzz with their efforts of how they smacked goblins around as if they were rags, or how they strangled trolls with their bare hands! [strike:13bjjbpi]Or, perhaps, how they fared in the war against humans[/strike:13bjjbpi]

30th of Obsidian.

My rule has come to an end. I wish my successor good luck, and I feel I must warn him of the possibility of human raiding parties this year, should they take the loss of their caravan wrongly. Below I have listed a list of our population and general wealth. And with that, I step down from my throne, and go back to my treasure-counting.

Necronic

Staff member
Woah....ummm too soon. Can you push me back one more spot. Sorry, I just moved and there is a lot of stuff going on. By this weekend I should be able to do a turn, but probably not this week.

P

Pojodan

"Hey Urst McMason, crack open a keg o' brew!"
"I canna do it, Urst McCarpenter, she's the most valueable item in the fortress!"

Yes, our lanterns are made of wood and our kegs are made of platinum.

P

Pojodan

Necronic said:
Woah....ummm too soon. Can you push me back one more spot. Sorry, I just moved and there is a lot of stuff going on. By this weekend I should be able to do a turn, but probably not this week.

Dubyamn? Bearscholar? Who wants to go next?

Pojodan said:
"I canna do it, Urst McCarpenter, she's the most valueable item in the fortress!"

We just had SO FREAKING MUCH of the stuff lying around, plus the brewer needed empty barrels, plus we were running out of wood. The decision was easily made.

P

Pojodan

Wahad said:
Pojodan said:

We just had SO FREAKING MUCH of the stuff lying around, plus the brewer needed empty barrels, plus we were running out of wood. The decision was easily made.
To this, I request the next player make a point of adorning the platinum beer kegs with as much excess crap as possible, preferably expensive gems, GCS silk patterns, gold studs, the whole works.

*before I get started let me say that I'm sorry it took so long. Playing Dwarf Fortress is normally like riding a stallion. It's tempermental and the learning curve is crazy but iwhen you learn right it's a hell of a site to see. Playing Dwarf fortress on the virtual machine on a mac is like riding a buttered 3 legged nag. Everything is slipery and even if I do it as well as possible it'll look terrible while being slow as hell.*

Diary of Dubyamn

Entry 1.

After several years of unsuccessfully asking for an assignment as a leader of a dwarven coloney I was overjoyed that my skills and ambitons were being noticed.

Unfortunately one look at the fortress of Oaklanterns and I think that somebody back home is having a good laugh because I don't find this joke very funny.

First off everything is on fire. Probably from the useless boondoggle of the defensive system. We all grew up on the stories of Boatmurdered but why would anybody attempt the madness of remaking the volcano defense?

Of course it spread to our underground forest doubt that'll stop till the entire area is ash.

Then we have the Farm which is suppose might be enough for a small community but soon consumption will far exceed production.

Of course it would be good if we had a full well. But we don't since our well source is nothing but a small trickle that evaporates before it even gets to the well.

I've of course designated the area for a proper farmland but a month later the digging hasn't even begun.

He has of course been partying the whole time. I've handed a pick to the butcher... who has since proven himself just as unreliable. by shirking his duty to party alongside the other lazy bastards.

I've of course started the industry proper. Huge portions of the land outside have been designated for clear cutting and the craftdwarves and masons will start producing as many goods as they possibly can.

I've also started my own project to hopefully counteract the problems with the lava

Hopefully one day this will be marked as the beginning of the end of forest fires and magma spills.

C

Chronos[Ha-G]

If I had enough time, I would've gladly gotten a raised aqueduct (Magmaduct?) for the magma system - gotten it to flow to a central spot far more easily. But I screwed that over...

P

Pojodan

Chronos[Ha-G said:
]If I had enough time, I would've gladly gotten a raised aqueduct (Magmaduct?) for the magma system - gotten it to flow to a central spot far more easily. But I screwed that over...
Where there is a megaproject that doesn't impress, there is an even larger megaproject to the built ontop of it. :D

Now the question is if Oaklanterns can survive long enough for such megaproject-atop-megaproject to come to fruition.

And good luck Dub.. I can only guess just how slow that setup runs :bush:

Status
Not open for further replies.