Dragon Age: Origins - It's out, bitches!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am used to games in which mana regenerates naturally to a certain degree, even when fighting. In my composition, my healer, Wynne, often would unload buffs and heals at the beginning 40% of the fight, but unless I stocked her up with lyream potions, she would run out of mana and become nothing but a long range damage caster til the fight ended, which in places like that long bridge in the Deep Road, wouldn't come for awhile, or in the final battle when I found myself being beat on by three ogres at once.

Only a few spell types like Death Magic and Blood Magic allowed you easy ways to return mana, and I didn't like the idea of having Wynne take those styles for character reasons. I am always rather purist in the spells and specs my characters take based on how I deem them personality wise, I would never make Allistair a Berserker or Reaver, for instance, and would never make him a Archer. It just does not fit him.

I guess it does not matter, since I plan to make Morrigan my healer in my next composition, and going to give her Blood Magic for her secondary spec and dabble in the Death Magic anyways.

I built her as a healer and will mostly make her perform healing actions.

- Her willpower is stacked far above her magic stat score as this increses her available magic pool.

- Her skills have been carefully chosen. She has little in the way of offence other than "Crushing Prison" and "Force Field". She never casts an offensive spell unless I do it myself and that's usually against Yellows or better.

- In her tactics screen. She will heal when a player is less than 50% health, she will always cast mana rejuv to my DPS caster and will automatically perform low cost magic with NO upkeep. Buffs are done by me, I don't like the AI automatically spamming buffs.

- In regard to her DPS, she will assist DPS with wand damage to lowest enemy.

- In big encounters, she's use her unique mana ability, this tends to kick some ass and give her back her mana. I rarely use potions.

My party is compromised of :

- Tank Alistair (stopped sucking after he got the juggernaut set)
- DPS Rogue (me, and I'm an Assassin/Bard build... extra mana regen!)
- DPS Morrigan (OWNAGE!)
- Healer Wynne (I control her whenever I need to cast bigger spells)

Ah, interesting. I admit I balanced out more with magic and wisdom for high mana and high potency of spells, but thinking back, she had no problem healing people to full even with lower magic. I might just have to plan better next time. I am not sure on the spell you are talking about to get her mana back, I would be suprised if I missed something as big as that. I just remember a passive skill for her to gain a bit of mana regen, but it never did enough to matter in the long run.

Ah, interesting. I admit I balanced out more with magic and wisdom for high mana and high potency of spells, but thinking back, she had no problem healing people to full even with lower magic. I might just have to plan better next time. I am not sure on the spell you are talking about to get her mana back, I would be suprised if I missed something as big as that. I just remember a passive skill for her to gain a bit of mana regen, but it never did enough to matter in the long run.
Get the respec potion mod and fix it.

As far as her skill, play the game, butter her up, do her sidequest, don't suck and she'll talk to you and BAM... you'll get the best "unique" skill in the game IMO.

As far as her skill, play the game, butter her up, do her sidequest, don't suck and she'll talk to you and BAM... you'll get the best "unique" skill in the game IMO.
I thought I DID butter her up, I swear I did everything she wanted, even took her back to her old apprentice and got her to 100% positive disposition. I guess I missed a step somewhere. :p

I built her as a healer and will mostly make her perform healing actions.

- Her willpower is stacked far above her magic stat score as this increses her available magic pool.

- Her skills have been carefully chosen. She has little in the way of offence other than "Crushing Prison" and "Force Field". She never casts an offensive spell unless I do it myself and that's usually against Yellows or better.

- In her tactics screen. She will heal when a player is less than 50% health, she will always cast mana rejuv to my DPS caster and will automatically perform low cost magic with NO upkeep. Buffs are done by me, I don't like the AI automatically spamming buffs.

- In regard to her DPS, she will assist DPS with wand damage to lowest enemy.

- In big encounters, she's use her unique mana ability, this tends to kick some ass and give her back her mana. I rarely use potions.

My party is compromised of :

- Tank Alistair (stopped sucking after he got the juggernaut set)
- DPS Rogue (me, and I'm an Assassin/Bard build... extra mana regen!)
- DPS Morrigan (OWNAGE!)
- Healer Wynne (I control her whenever I need to cast bigger spells)
Wow, you play Wynne (and the rest, mostly) almost EXACTLY like I do.

The passive mana regen skill is one of the generic skills, namely the 2nd tier of combat training. Couple that with one or 2 mana regen in combat items and conservative mana use in tactics and Wynn hardly ever runs out of mana.

Only full out damage casters runs out of mana in my playthroughs.

Yeah my healer mostly just stands around doing staff damage untill someone drops below 25% (50% on bosses because they hit harder). Buffing and rejuving I do manually, because 90% of the time it really is just a waste of mana to do it.

I'm going to make a combat healer in my latest playthrough though. On the front lines, arcane/spirit healer mage. Maybe that'll fail horribly, but I like the idea of a combat cleric.

Brilliant:

Best part's at 2:20, so I suggest you skip to there. Another advantage of skipping ahead is missing a scene involving Alistair and a Genlock doing something no Grey Warden should be doing with a Darkspawn.

Hai guyz, whats going on in this thread?

Ok so I recently got the game and played through a couple of origins, one with each class. I like warriors alright, and mages are pretty fun, but I think I want to do a rogue for my first full run through. My only problem is that I don't really know how to build my party. Right now I'm just in lothering so I don't have a lot of options. I'm thinking Alistair for a tank, me on dps, then morrigan for ranged dps+CC and this is where I don't know what to do.

Sten seems like a good choice. He can do good damage with his 2h weapons and if Alistair dies or we get jumped, Sten can off tank.

Then there's Liliana who can do ranged DPS and also kind of bodyguard Morrigan if more people come from behind or something.

Dog is just awesome though. I wonder if anyone actually plays through with him? Plus I read that he can't ever disapprove of anything you do so I can make the dick decisions when I want to without having to worry about pissing off half my party.

Someone actually did some calculations that proved 2 handed damage sucks. If you want damage, go for the duel wielding rogue, who can also backstab and open locks and pickpocket.

However, if you're already playing a rogue, you could consider using Wynne as your fourth, as her healing abilities are very handy. Alternatively, you could also spec Morrigan as a healer, but that obviously reduces her CC and ranged damage abilities.

yeah, I'll probably switch morrigan for wynn asap but i dont want to go to the circle quite yet. I want the elf character so i can become an assassin pretty quickly. What I'll probably do is next time morrigan gains a level I'll just have her learn the first healing ability so in a pinch I can take control of her and cast it myself if need be.

I'm fine with sten not doing max DPS or anything, which I really wouldn't want him to anyway to make sure he doesn't steal aggro from Alistair (I'm not 100% sure how aggro here works, so I'll assume it's like WoW since that makes sense to me) plus it just always looks awesome to me to have someone swinging a big ass weapon all up on an orc's bizznass.

If they don't release Return to Ostagar before Mass Effect 2 comes out, who do they expect will actually be buying it?

Nah, one of Bioware's people said in an interview with IGN that it'll be released when they fix the bug they found. I'm guessing it was a PS3 or Xbox issue. Just a guess.

D

Deschain

I've pretty much been playing this game non stop. This could be Fallout-quality RPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.