Dollhouse Episode 13 - Epitaph One

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Reboneer

I gave up on this series after an episode or two because it was complete crap, and from what I understand it stayed that way for about half of the season. I've been told that the unaired pilot, which is now available, is actually good, and the plot points from it were spread out over the first few crap episodes. So, my question for those of you who actually watched this all the way through: would it be possible to watch the unaired pilot, and then jump into the real series halfway through once it apparently starts getting good, without missing anything too important? Or did too much change between the pilot and the series?

Reboneer said:
I gave up on this series after an episode or two because it was complete crap, and from what I understand it stayed that way for about half of the season. I've been told that the unaired pilot, which is now available, is actually good, and the plot points from it were spread out over the first few crap episodes. So, my question for those of you who actually watched this all the way through: would it be possible to watch the unaired pilot, and then jump into the real series halfway through once it apparently starts getting good, without missing anything too important? Or did too much change between the pilot and the series?
Haven't seen the pilot, so I couldn't really answer your question, but I wouldn't imagine it to be possible. If they decided not to air it and instead cannibalize it for parts, then it lies firmly outside the established series. It might be brilliant on it's own, but I wouldn't count on it functioning as a bridge over the 'complete crap' episodes.

I'd personally call the second half of the series "pretty awesome," but I thought the first few episodes were fairly decent. Now, the series does get better around episode six, but if you declared episodes one and two 'complete crap' I wouldn't bother trying to watch it again. It doesn't improve enough to reverse such judgment.

All that said, is your time that valuable that you need to ask these questions to save yourself two or three hours? Just pick up where you left off some lazy afternoon and see how far you get. Or watch a later episode at random, and if you deem it awesome enough, watch the others in between. It might spoil some things, but it'll also let you make your own decision and not feel gypped if you watch the pilot, episodes six, seven and eight, and still decide that the show isn't worth watching.

By episode five I felt like I'd given the show a chance and it had failed. I started reading that six and later were a lot better, so I caught up and watched the rest of the season. It was pretty darned good. The first episodes are more understandable in light of the later ones, but it doesn't necessarily make them all that watchable.

It was like the show had to go through an awkward phase for dramatic purposes. "Hey, here's what this show is about. Cute, huh? BAM! Different show altogether!"

Reboneer said:
Or did too much change between the pilot and the series?
Too much changed. For example, they have Ballard meet Echo (Caroline, whatever) in the pilot. Other things happen related to that, but it's "BAM" immediate. As well you meet Victor right away as a doll, not to mention the "remote wipe" mechanic is introduced right away as a "possible" rather than how it's seen as "near-miraculous" in an episode in the series.

So not contradictory, but definitely "changed canon" and not merely stuff we didn't see. But they definitely go into the "moral implications" of the technology RIGHT AWAY, but the problem is they spam it into you in a conversation between echo's handler (I don't know why I can't remember his name, but I can't) and Topher. More a "hey, here's morality exposition!" rather than how it's more organically woven in later in the season.

C

Chibibar

The first few episodes were kinda "random" but my wife and I continue watching it (we DVR it) and after 5 or 6, it has gotten good and we finish the series (last 3 we had to wait 1 week ;) which kinda sucks) it ended well and hope to see more.

I haven't see the "unaired" one yet either.

If you look at the body of most shows, the first handful of episodes are awkward and hard to watch. Let's look at Whedon's other shows:

Buffy? I LOVE that show...but almost the entire first couple of discs are pretty bad. Without those episodes, the show wouldn't be what it is, but they are still pretty bad.

Angel was pretty strong from the get go, but still took a couple of episodes to get it's legs under it. Angel and Cordy were good together, but working in Doyle and Wesley was a bit of a stumble. It definitely worked, but had the advantage of having previously established characters as its main leads.

Firefly, as much as I love it, kind of stumbled out of the block too. I think it stumbled the least of the three.

I watch Friends for the first time in the last couple of years. A lot of people would consider that show to be one of the best sitcoms in the modern era of sitcoms, if not ever. There's no doubt that it was successful and funny (I hated the idea of the show before I watched it). When we first started watching it, I wanted to give up on it. the first episodes SUCKED. Had I been watching it when it first came out, i would have given up on it.

Now, I watch shows with that in mind. Chuck, Heroes, Dollhouse, Terminator, etc. It makes shows much easier to enjoy, and easier to fight through as well.

That being said...I LOVED this episode. I will be buying the first season on DVD just to be able to watch it on my 42" TV rather than sneaking to watch it on my 17" work monitor.

I just got word that my friend picked up my Comic-Con exclusive Blu-Ray edition. Sadly, I probably won't be home until the end of the year.

S

Skinny Santa

Can someone please not send me the link to this episode. Because seeing it would be very very wrong and bad...

(PM Me)

Status
Not open for further replies.