[Question] Do we have any pilots and/or Civil Air Authorities around here?

A house I'm looking at is fairly near a very small airstrip - no tower, no fuel, no buildings. I was able to pull up the NFDC - whatever the heck that is - data on the strip, which is almost useful, except that there's no usable legend anywhere that I can find. So, if anybody has any better luck decoding this, that would be awesome:
  • ARPT CLSD SS-SR

Airport Closed Sunset to Sunrise.

in other words, probably no landing lights or guidance, so you're not allowed to land there in the dark.

This is mostly a good thing because it means no noise at night :)

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
What Bubble said. If you can give us the airport designation, I might can tell you more about it. I'm not a pilot, but my father and grandfather are, and I learned a lot flying with them.

GasBandit

Staff member
Definitely not the roughest airfield I've ever heard of (that would be 52NM, Timberon Airport, 5000 feet of gravel and deer nestled betweeen heavily forested mountains), but it looks to be pretty small-time.

It's got low intensity runway lights, is closed dusk to dawn, but at least it has an actual asphalt surface somebody apparently gives half a shit about although they don't bother clearing snow. The parking area for the planes (tie downs) looks to be rough/turf. The runway is 4000 feet, which is a little on the short side for anybody other than private planes with good lift to distance ratios (though there's plenty shorter in the world). You won't be seeing any gulfstreams or the like at that airport, the runway's too short, but it might be a convenient spot for someone in the area who owns a Piper, Cessna or Mooney who doesn't want to go all the way to Klamath Falls or Medford, much less Portland, to get to their plane.

Definitely not the roughest airfield I've ever heard of (that would be 52NM, Timberon Airport, 5000 feet of gravel and deer nestled betweeen heavily forested mountains), but it looks to be pretty small-time.

It's got low intensity runway lights, is closed dusk to dawn, but at least it has an actual asphalt surface somebody apparently gives half a shit about although they don't bother clearing snow. The parking area for the planes (tie downs) looks to be rough/turf. The runway is 4000 feet, which is a little on the short side for anybody other than private planes with good lift to distance ratios (though there's plenty shorter in the world). You won't be seeing any gulfstreams or the like at that airport, the runway's too short, but it might be a convenient spot for someone in the area who owns a Piper, Cessna or Mooney who doesn't want to go all the way to Klamath Falls or Medford, much less Portland, to get to their plane.
Excellent, thanks Gas.

GasBandit

Staff member
It apparently also has a rotating beacon! Though the trees block it from the SE/SW quadrants.

Looking at it on google maps, the tarmac looks a little old and cracked, but I've seen far worse, and it looks like at least two single engine piston-driven small planes call it home.