Export thread

Disc Drive Not Reading Win7 Upgrade DisK?

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Trying to put Win7 on my secondary system with my upgrade disks (have both 32bit and 64bit) with no luck as the DVD or the CD drive won't read the disc at all. Other CDs/DVDs read fine.

Any ideas?

Shakey

Shakey

Is it a burned disk? Some older CD/DVD drives can have problems reading certain types of burnable disks.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

It's a retail upgrade disk.

Dave

Dave

Have you checked another computer to see if the disk is readable by that computer? It may be the disk is corrupted.

Have you tried going to Microsoft Support and seeing if this is an issue?

Seraphyn

Seraphyn

Just copy the disk to an USB drive and run it from there. It's how I installed W7 on my laptop after noticing that it wouldn't recognise any of the disks I burned.

Dave

Dave

Just copy the disk to an USB drive and run it from there. It's how I installed W7 on my laptop after noticing that it wouldn't recognise any of the disks I burned.
If the computer won't read the data on the disk how can she copy it to USB?

Shakey

Shakey

If it's her secondary computer, she most likely has another she can do it on.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Yeah I'm looking for a good guide to make the USB bootable with the win7 upgrade disk atm.

Shakey

Shakey

http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2009/12/-the-usb-flash-drive.ars

The first option is the easiest, but you need to make an ISO of your install CD.

Chazwozel

Can't you just download Win 7 and then use your legit reg keys?

Bones

Bones

chaz makes a valid point...

PatrThom

PatrThom

If the lot numbers/codes are correct, then yes. MSFT has done this before where they release different series of install discs, and the auth codes will only work on other discs within that series.

That said, Win7 probably hasn't been around long enough to have too many different series/pressings made, unless they started right off and split codes/lots up geographically.

--Patrick

Bones

Bones

they have work arounds for that as well