Detective Comics is fucking awesome right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steven Soderburgin

Did anyone but me pick up Detective Comics 854, written by Greg Rucka and starring Batwoman?

Because it is fucking terrific

This first issue with Batwoman is more set up than anything, but the writing is still very good and I can't wait to see where it goes. But even more impressive is the art by J.H. Williams III. You've probably seen the amazing covers already, and the interior art completely lives up to those. It is beautiful. Jaw-droppingly gorgeous. What he does with the layouts in this is great.

If you haven't picked this up yet, I HIGHLY recommend it.

Shannow

Staff member
Detective Comics is smurfing awesome right now

It is just an overmilked IP and thus, not worth any time. :rofl:

K

kaykordeath

It was good, but not as good Gotham City Sirens.

If you want a great showcasing of J.H.Williams' art, I highly recommend Alan Moore's Promethea. I wasn't crazy about the volumes after the third, but that was just because the plot and story went totally south while Moore got on his soapbox to talk about magic.

That said, I can't deny that the whole comic is absolutely gorgeous looking throughout the whole run.

J

JCM

Shannow said:
Shhh, they might buy something original!! :slywink:

A

Alex B.

It was very good. And I normally don't care about the Bat books.

But with a whole slew of things coming up (Marvel Project, Rebirth, Blackest Night, etc) I'm probably going to stop grabbing the issues and trade it.

JCM said:
Shannow said:
SPOILER: if you think something is original you just haven't been exposed to it's "inspiration"! :tongue:

J

JCM

@Li3n said:
JCM said:
Shannow said:
SPOILER: if you think something is original you just haven't been exposed to it's "inspiration"! :tongue:
Sorry, Im to busy watching 10 different Inspector gadget tv shows that are shown the same time and might happen to continue onto another, and also "Detective comics", where yet another writer is hired to milk out the Inspector gadget name, while raving how awesome Frank Miller's take on gadget is, but sadly due to Dr. Claw ripping through the frabric of time that never happened.

Then I'll go watch Heroes, then the Hiro, and Hero Origins plus the "gifted"and "the enw gifted" where Hiro runs from one group to another, after all if its a "hot writer" writing it, its not whoring out is it? But hey, creativity!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Because there aren't 10 Gundam series that are basically a new take on the same story, but with different names for characters, or a new live action take on Sailor Moon, or plenty of giant robot shows that once you've seen one you've seen them all...

Sorry, but "it's a new IP" is a BS reason to watch something... just as "it's the same IP" is a BS reason not to.

Stories are either good or bad, and someone making them not canon matters as much as bad slash fic... i might as well cry foul about what Hellsing did to Dracula, because it retconned Stoker...

And creativity has little to do with whether or not you're writing an old or a new character.

J

JCM

@Li3n said:
Gundam series! A few rare manga that dont end and still together are less than the number of comics with wolverine in them!!!
Yeah, again the sad pathetic trying to get the few 1-2% of manga that dont end, in a market where the top 25 manga are NEW IP that have been around for 10 year max, to defend 10 fucking titles of the same 70-year old IP that is in one´s Jammies.

@Li3n said:
You Batman nerds have to be more specific, which of the monthly BS-
BS
The Uncanny BSmen, The New BSmen, BSforce, BSfactor, BSMen Academy, Messiah BS/BS War, Ultimate BS, or are you talking about the new Arse and the BSmen, and the accompanying Arse and the BSmen comic, or the BSmen origins: Arse.

Man, its pathetic to see nerds get their bat-undies in a bunch when someone points out the obvious, that one doesnt need 20 fucking bat-books/guest appearances a month, but hey, Im not the one being gymped every month and having to preorder at a comic store. :smug:

Because God forbid someone enjoy something that's *gasp* less than 100% original. :eyeroll: You know why there are four titles a month starring Batman? Because there are dozens of writers champing at the bit to write new Batman stories because they love the character. Some will be awesome. Some will suck. But as long as the reader actually enjoys it, it's not a waste of money or a "gyp".

J

JCM

Dorko said:
original.
Be more specific, are you talking about Original in the Origivengers, Dark Originvengers, the Origin solo comic, or origin:Origins, or the Original War maxi-series and spin-offs, where the originals must choose whether they want to reveal theyre fake crap or join Captain piracy, or the Original classified, where we discover his sidekick Authentic isnt dead but was working as a hooker and his dead girlfriend Creativity actyally was sleeping with his enemy, Copyright Lawyer?

Again.

You dont need 10 fucking bat-books and spin-offs a month.

I started working on a reply. I really did. But then I realized it will just fall against the wall of JCM's "rightness". :eyeroll: He won't get the mind set of an American comic book fan. He takes the maybe three or four characters per company who DO get overexposed and is using the presence of multiple team books with the same THEME to claim that it's the same characters in each one. He doesn't get. He doesn't want to get it.

And I've seen FAR too many "debates" with JCM, with this tactic of taking one word from a post and then building a "God, WHY doesn't anyone understand HOW RIGHT I am?!" rant on it.

EDIT:

You dont need 10 fucking bat-books and spin-offs a month.
Why not? Batwoman is practically a brand new character that almost no one has done anything with. Dick Grayson and Damien Wayne getting used to being the new Batman and Robin has MORE than enough material for the three books it takes up. Red Robin, AKA Tim Drake, is off over in Europe so trying to cram his story into one of the above would be page consuming and unsatisfying. And Gotham City Sirens is using three popular villainesses in their own stories, not as the bad guys but as the protagonists. Finally, some people don't like the idea of a new Batman. So they can enjoy Batman Confidential and Batman/Superman for not-strictly continuity stories starring Bruce Wayne. Need? Nope. We don't need ANY comic books. They're entertainment. Is there more than enough new stories to fill each and everyone one of these monthly books? Hell yes.

J

JCM

Awww, manbawling because somebody is showing what a dumbfuck people are to support 10 monthly comics of the same damn character?
Dorko said:
Rightness.
Which rightness?

The Earth-52 Rightness, the Age of Wrongness Rightness, Frank Miller´s Rightness, Rightness 2099, Rightness who is really Rightness´son from the future but has been retconned to be just a close, Rightness who was actually Wrongness but revealed himself to be first Rightness, Rightness´ clone, Rightnessboy or Rightness in the 616?
Dorko said:
Are you actually telling me we need ten fucking titles and crossovers for stories that in the 80s, could be contained in one monthly or bi-monthly comic, and that in EVERY DAMN MEDIA can be contained in that same title/show/comic/manga/episode.

Why must american comics, and only american comics, require ten monthly titles-crossovers-spinoffs to tell the story where every other media does fine with just one or two?

K

kaykordeath

JCM said:
Why must american comics, and only american comics, require ten monthly titles-crossovers-spinoffs to tell the story where every other media does fine with just one or two?
Because they don't.

The story in Batman and Robin has very little to do with the story in Batman and even less to do with the stories in Detective and Sirens and Streets of Gotham and Red Robin. Sure the characters and locations may relate, but the variety lets the reader read what they want to.

Sure, there are crossovers...the arc going on in the Sper-titles (-Man, -Girl, Action, New Krypton, Old Krypton, Girly-Boy, -Puppy, etc) started off as a crossover, but each individual monthly title held its own, its own creative staff, and it's own angle on the story...avoiding a NEED to read them all....

G

Gkbur

I'm sorry, but I've rarely seen any comic franchise with more than a concurrent books about the same character. Batman has maybe three right now that are actually about Batman, the rest are about other characters. The X-Men have five or six books because at any moment in time the "team" has something like 25-30 members, and everybody has a favorite character that they'd like to see more than once every seven years, each book is usually about a seperate group of characters (and Wolverine).

And really, why should it matter if there are three different books about the same character if they are different stories? Maybe I like seeing superman in a light-hearted adventure, but someone else wants to see him interact with the rest of the DC universe. Why should either of us have to read the same books just for that. These are characters who are seen in many different ways by their readers, so it stands to reason that they'd have many different books to showcase this. Is a little variety such a horrible thing? And why should it matter if someone buys all the different books if they like the character or the story? Why the elitism?

S

Steven Soderburgin

what happened to this thread i just wanted to talk about how awesome the first issue of Greg Rucka's run on Detective Comics was

NEEEEERDS

okay, thats all. please, carry on.

what happened to this thread i just wanted to talk about how awesome the first issue of Greg Rucka's run on Detective Comics was
how dare you try to discuss something. on a discussion forum! really

Oh, also Kissinger? If you liked Rucka's stuff here and want to read more about the Crime Bible and all that, check out his mini-series called The Question: The Five Books of Blood. It's pretty good, though the art is nowhere as fantastic as JH Williams.

S

Steven Soderburgin

Gurpel said:
how dare you try to discuss something. on a discussion forum! really
what

no i'm just wondering how this thread got to this point because people seemed to come out of nowhere to attack the very IDEA of a popular mainstream comic book character in multiple books which doesn't really apply because Batwoman isn't in any other books right now and the current incarnation of that character has only appeared in a few issues of 52 before this.

fade

Staff member

NO. You can't discuss this. Because you're wrong. I HAVE SPOKEN. Your wrongness cannot compete with my rightness. QED.

Wikipedia said:
Fade is always right.

In 103% of all interviewees interviewed in the RAS (Really Accurate Study), 100% completely agreed that fade is always right. And handsome and awesome to boot. Also, a bunch of left wing and right wing pundits, 90% of whom are unheard of bloggers also agree that fade is right. All the time.
[image macro]

Wargle bargle wargle *mouth froth*.

K

kaykordeath

Shannow said:
Check the X-men thread. It carried into here.
Thank you. I had ignored that thread, but now at least see the basis and explanation for JCM's seemingly inane ranting...

And I'm less inclined than before to argue...

Sure....after 75+ years, Superman and Batman's stories have remained relatively unchanged...but that doesn't mean that, regardless of the similarities from arc to arc, "the same old story" can't be enjoyed with it's re-telling/new twists...

Aren't there really only 6 stories for the entire history of man?

May check out later but I can agree with some of JCM's issues with American comics, though this is the wrong thread for it.

Batman Comics especially have a ridiculous history with crossovers. It was very common to have the next part of almost every story arc to be told in yet another Detective Batman: Gotham Legends of the Dark Bat Knights and Friends spin-off. I could have sworn DC said they would end the extra Bat series after RIP but why would they?

J

JCM

Agree 100% Fade is right. After all, the rest is so fucking ridiculous, I mean, take a look at the nerd´s post applied to other media-

Dorko said:
We need TEN Harry Potter books at the same time.
Why not? Dobby is practically a brand new character that almost no one has done anything with. Ron Weasley and Bumbledore getting used to the situation have MORE than enough material for the three books it takes up. Snape, AKA Bumbledore´s killer, has so much background that trying to cram his story into one of the above would be page consuming and unsatisfying. And The Hogwart´s sirens is using three popular Slytherin students in their own stories, not as the bad guys but as the protagonists. Finally, some people don't like the idea of an older teen Harry Potter. So they can enjoy Hogwart´s Confidential and Harry/Snape for not-strictly continuity stories starring our boy Wizard.

Need? Nope. We don't need ANY books. They're entertainment. Is there more than enough new stories to fill each and everyone one of these yearly books? Hell yes.
Of course we need ten fucking Harry Potter books a year. :smug:
Sure....after 75+ years, Superman and Batman's stories have remained relatively unchanged...but that doesn't mean that, regardless of the similarities from arc to arc, "the same old story" can't be enjoyed with it's re-telling/new twists...
Funnily, until the 80s, 2 comics were more than enough for any superhero and supporting cast, with 1 being normal.

Really, its pathetic to see how advertising "hey, check out Frank Miller´s All-Star Harry Potter!" can make nerds think that its justified to overcharge and overmilk an IP with too many monthly books and crossovers that you MUST buy to understand the story.

Thank god this hasnt seeped over to manga, tv, movies and animation, imagine puuting up with this bullshit in books- BS like "the Davinci crisis"?

Robert Langdon from Reality-5 has to discover a way to stop Robert Langdon Prime from killing Sherlock Holmes, Passepartout´s clone, and Hercule Poirot, who returned to life after Dark Miss Marple ripped across the dimensional pages of detective reality. (All its effects so intelligently spread accross all "Davinci Crisis tie-ins; Detective League, Mike Hammer, Mike Hammer Corps, Langdon and Jesus girl, Langdon Man of symbols, Sam Spade, P.I. comics, the New Hardy Boys and the Hardy Boys:Classified).

I heard it has 5 variant covers, and if you buy them all and put them upside down side-by-side, it´ll show a mysterious figure in the background who seems to be NancyJr Dakkar, the daughter of Nancy Drew and Captain Nemo, who was killed by Langdon and Gandalf.

Dont forget, its being written by that new hot teen writer Stephenie Meyer, with art by Harry Potter´s own Mary GrandPré, who now have signed on to head the Detective League books and the Dr Jekyll vs Marley special.

W

wana10

haven't read dc854 because i have no idea where this new batwoman came from(52?). but if someone were to tell me where to go for her background stories i would probably be much more interested.
personally though, i've really been liking dustin nguyen's watercolor batman covers. if he ever did a full issue in that style i'd probably explode...especially if it was one of the dini written stories :D

fade

Staff member

I had to look that one up. I thought, "What? The 21 Jump Street guy?". He probably gets that a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.