Export thread

David's Thing-a-Day

David

David

Day 1: Starting off with some 3D!

My semi-successful attempt at following a Blender tutorial.

fade

fade

Looks like something from the White Witch's castle.

David

David

Day 2: Just something that was in my head. My first drawing with Gimp because Photoshop picked today to stop cooperating.

David

David

Day 3: A goblin head

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Always love checking in with your work David, I still use the wallpaper you made for me a while back (the Shego/MaryJane edit you did). ;)

David

David

Thanks, Shego :D

Day 4: A specific request for a pink, mohawked hippocorn.

David

David

Day 5: I had a sudden inspiration for another goblin after midnight and stayed up until I got this far. I can has sleep?

David

David

Been away all day and didn't manage to get around to anything today; hopefully I'll be able to catch up with two drawings (or one really big one) tomorrow

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Lurve all the fantasy stuff!

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

I wish I drew that hippo first.. curse you, David!

David

David

I wish I drew that hippo first.. curse you, David!

David

David

A WIP for what will hopefully turn out big and awesome.

David

David

Today's progress:

David

David

Ugh, this one is taking it out of me. I spent entirely too long drawing and redrawing the left hand until I was happy with how it looked, now I'm figuring out the right hand. Breaking here for now before I throw my tablet.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

As someone that hate hate hates drawing hands... I'm a little jealous of those last few hands there, buddy

David

David

Critiques would be appreciated. I've still got a million little things I could change but it might help for a second set of eyes to point out anything major.

David

David

Bonus: A friend who demanded I draw him

David

David

Day 13, a night elf thing I randomly did in the food court at the mall today, shortly before getting kicked out by a security guard. I guess the security at the mall are Horde.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Can't be an elf, nose is too bulbous. I'd venture to say that's more Goblin like.

David

David

Eh. I didn't want it to be a goblin. Already have a couple of those, but no elves.

David

David

Sorry for the lack of updates, here's a demon thing

David

David

I'm sorry I haven't been posting, but I have been drawing. I started working with a group on a video game project, I've been doing character concept sketches that I can't share yet. Hopefully I'll get a go-ahead to post more about it soon.

For today, a robot:

David

David

Colorized robot

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Ha! Love the bot. Very cartoon army, like something you'd see attacking "The Kids Next Door" and that's a compliment.

Also, I just noticed the Fallout girl, I think you captured the feel of a cartoon style Fallout world character well. She still has a very 50s-60s vibe about her (the hair was a nice touch), the laser pistol and her pose are very excellent and very accurate as well. If I had any kind of critique that I could find, would be that you gave her a bit of a frumpy behind and her legs from the knee-down are a bit too short.

Otherwise, two fantastic pieces!

David

David

I've just discovered Sculptris, which is essentially a watered-down free version of ZBrush.
My first 3D sculpture with it, rendered with Blender:

David

David

More 3D! Working on a model for my character animation class, this one was made with Softimage.

David

David

WIP

drifter

drifter

May want to shorten up that left upper arm. Either that or mostly get rid of the forearm.

David

David

I actually somehow failed to notice that. Thanks!

David

David

I'm going to be rebooting this thread for a new challenge: Thing-a-Day. Basically the same as the august art challenge but will be continuously ongoing just to see how long I can keep it up (giggity). Because I should be drawing every day anyway, I'm hoping this will help to keep me at it. Expect the first art in a few hours.

David

David

Thing-a-Day, Day 1

David

David

Day 2, a friend requested a cat. Apparently the yarn was smarter.

makare

I would like you to draw an adorable baby hippo....

David

David

I would like you to draw an adorable baby hippo....
Day 3:

I'm tucking the PSD file for this away for later coloring, I kind of like the ink look and I'm not sure color will do it any justice with the last hour I have.

David

David

Day 4: WIP walk cycle of shame

David

David

Adorable Hippo: The T-Shirt. Yay or nay? I'm seriously tempted to set up a kickstarter to try making this happen.

Gusto

Gusto

Haha, do it.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Oh my God, you just made me make my really high-pitched "that's cute" noise! DO IT!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Adorable Hippo could totally be your company name or something. :D

My own request: Dilbert Pinkerton! (mutant armadillo in a trenchcoat & fedora)

David

David

I'm planning some other designs to launch with it: an elephant, a wallaby, and a dragon so far. Maybe a zombie?

Today's thing: failed rigid body dynamics in Softimage

figmentPez

figmentPez

Adorable Hippo: The T-Shirt. Yay or nay? I'm seriously tempted to set up a kickstarter to try making this happen.
I even know a small market for it. Tara Crawford, co-host of What the Fuck is Wrong With You Live, is crazy about hippos, and I think her fans might have grown to like them too. Offer to send her a free shirt if she'll mention you on the show.

David

David

Very, very rough baby dragon sketch. Mainly because I kept putting off today until I was running out of time.

Dilbert Pinkerton coming tomorrow!

makare

that hippo is sooo cute i love it!!

David

David

Spent more time on the dragon, definitely better but needs moar work.

David

David

Dilbert Pinkerton WIP

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Holy crap, that's like pure, unadulterated awesome. Thanks, man.

David

David

Here's the final design I just submitted as a Kickstarter project:

David

David

Starting random comics!

The worst part is, that teasing jerk never did call me.

David

David

And now, ladies and gentlemen, a shameless plug.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/233048771/adorable-baby-hippo-t-shirt

David

David

Made this for Project Wonderful, gonna build some other sized banners as well. Hoping to get onto the Questionable Content advert zone for a few hours.

Gusto

Gusto

Man the QC crowd will eat that shit up. :)

David

David

Quicky:

David

David

Just wanted to pimp the hippo shirt one final time before it expires. 11 hours to go with about 33% remaining before I have the funding to have the shirts printed.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/233048771/adorable-baby-hippo-t-shirt

In the event that this fails, I'll set up a print-on-demand page for shirts for anybody who really wanted one, though that option will be more expensive.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I'll post it around and see if I can get any more backers. Regardless...I really want a hippo shirt and will get one anyway I can. So cute!

David

David

Thank you so much, LittleKagsin!

Now at $277/$300 with 7 hours to go, meaning just two more shirts need to sell in the next 7 hours. Tension is running high!

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Ah, you made it!! YAY! I can't wait to get mine and take a picture for you.

And with only 40 minutes left, that was a close one. :)

David

David

February daily #1

Awesome start there, David.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Well, I don't think that's going to be topped. Best to quit now while you're on top.

You know what? Chop your hands off, this is your artistic masterpiece.

David

David

Why thank you Bumble, that's so ni-HEY WAITAMINUTE.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Can I just let my avatar be my response?

I'ma let my avatar be my response.

...Stop reading.

<-- look over there. That's my response. Kay?

Good.

David

David

No comic today, just a 3D hand I spent several hours trying to give sub dermal lighting. Trying to make it more fleshy and less waxy.

David

David

Figure practice today.

fennewalde

fennewalde

nice! with the headshape being a touch large and the hips not totally developed, this looks more like a teen/young adult body type. Which is really tough to pull off.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

nice! with the headshape being a touch large and the hips not totally developed, this looks more like a teen/young adult body type. Which is really tough to pull off.
Or... a robot!

Also, that 3d hand is amazingly lighted.

David

David

Been drawing illustrations for a friend's prototype card game, so I can't share them until he starts promoting it. Incidentally I am way behind on draw-every-day =/

However... HIPPO SHIRTS.

David

David

Some sketch requests from Kickstarter I've already sent out:

"octopus!!!!"

"A red fox please. Yay!"

"Peacock"

"A red panda (it is different animal from a regular panda bear!)"

"Ideal: a robotic version of ET with a glowing finger. Barring that, a Giraffe."

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Got my hippo shirt yesterday!! YAY!! I'll take a picture when I get home. Also, my sketch got here safe and sound, thank you thank you!

David

David

I'm glad it all got to you safely :)

David

David

Following a face-modeling tutorial

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Sorry it's taken me so long...but, hippo pictures!!

And the cutest sketch ever!!

Thank you so much again! And I'm so glad this worked out for you.

David

David

Awesome photos!! Thanks, LittleKagsin :)

David

David

A photoshoop I spent entirely too much effort on to make a lame pun:

+

If you guys would kindly vote on it: http://cheezburger.com/View/5980547328?utm_source=trans&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=transglobal

David

David

I wanna start making a new 3D object start to finish every week, started with a cup.

cup.1.jpg

I'll be ustreaming the process each week:
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/21314797

No audio this week because I tried with audio first and it sucked. I'll maybe try it next time. Hard to narrate what I'm doing as I'm doing it

David

David

glass_hdri.1.jpg

David

David

Some commentary on the last one, which I uploaded in a rush as I was exiting the computer lab before spring break:

Was trying to make a wine glass rendered with an HDRI light map. I'm not horribly happy with the base of it, though. I'm not sure what's up with the fuzziness around the edges of it, either. The rim of the glass doesn't seem to have it nearly as bad.

David

David

I've started learning guitar and am documenting the process; here's days 1 and 2:

David

David

Got day 3 up juuuuust before midnight.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

I kinda want to start playing my bass and we can have a little beginner band!

...except I don't know chords or anything, I just randomly slap strings until good sounds fill my earholes..

David

David

I kinda want to start playing my bass and we can have a little beginner band!

...except I don't know chords or anything, I just randomly slap strings until good sounds fill my earholes..
Only if we get to travel the world in our van with our talking pet, using the power of music to fight crime, solve mysteries and teach people to love if you know what I'm sayin'.

Seriously though, it would be awesome if other people started doing this too.

Didn't record practice today cause I got a cold hit me and I didn't want to record myself all gross and coughy and sniffly. Hopefully will get the next video up tomorrow.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

I'll have to figure out some way of recording myself.. but I think I'll be joining you in recording my progress. I wont be teaching myself though.. just jammin... You have inspired me to put myself out there!

David

David

Been too long since I uploaded something new. Here are some screenshots of my final texturing project for my Photoshop for Animators class.

terry_texturing_screencap.jpg terry_texturing_screencap2.jpg
terry_texturing_screencap3.jpgterry_texturing_screencap4.jpg

Definately not perfect, but learned a lot from doing it. I want to spend some time working on something more portfolio-worthy.

David

David

Did anyone terribly care about the guitar videos? I fell out of it after I got a cold and couldn't record without sniffling/coughing through the whole video. Still practicing every day, occasionally on the Vent chat. Debating whether I should bother recording.

drifter

drifter

I think it's a fun idea, but recording every day seems like overkill. Unless you have a sudden jump (which will probably happen), I'd say recording every week or two makes more sense, if you want to continue doing it.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

What Drifter said! I forgot to post any bass stuff.. I have failed you..

David

David

Just found an old sketchbook with a drawing I did... geeze, more than two years ago now? I don't think I've ever posted it.

Photo Jun 21, 3 35 57 PM.jpg

I was starting to get damn good at cartoon hands back then... why have I been letting that atrophy?

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

I both love and hate finding old drawings... Do you feel the same way?

David

David

I do. The mixed feelings of nostalgia and "Ugh, is that how I was drawing that back then?"

David

David

I must confess that I had a habit of throwing away old drawings that I didn't like anymore when I was younger. I wish I still had the pages from the sketchbook I used in elementary school instead of tearing them all out.

David

David

I started modeling a kitchen.

...It made sense at the time.

Today's progress:
sink_1.jpg

David

David

Today's progress. I spent most of my time figuring out the textures.

kitchen_sink_2.jpg

David

David

I've started learning Maya to add it to my resume. Here's my first creation:

Maya_die_test.jpeg

David

David

Shinies!

David

David

So I just drew this abomination.

David

David

A short a friend and I made yesterday. I don't feel it qualifies for the "awesome videos" thread.

Cajungal

Cajungal

It's funny because PAIN! :D

...... every time I come here I get super jealous of that damn hippo shirt.

David

David

I've apparently become a series regular.