DAMN YOU WALT DISNEY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chazwozel

So as a surprise for my wife and the offspring (our anniversary is tomorrow and the girl turns 2), I decided to book a trip to Disney World. Good fucking Christ this place is expensive. Some of these packages range to the $10k area! Fortunately I found a nice little package for around 3K. But man, some of these packages are enough money to fund a trip around the world!

Anyway. I'll be sure to buy all you guys Mickey Mouse ear hats. :unibrow:

Do you need any suggestions for rides to go on? I'm something of a theme park enthusiast, so I can provide you with plenty of info.

I just finished such a trip. I won't go into what it cost once I added airfare, food, etc, but it was a lot of fucking money. Great trip, but next time we're going somewhere cheap.

figmentPez

Staff member
You can save money on food by staying at a place with a kitchette. That's what my family has done for our last 3 trips to the parks. When we stayed in a Disney property (The Disney Villas, which don't exist anymore) we just hopped the bus back for lunch and dinner. The last time we stayed at a Hilton. We packed our lunch to eat in the park, and were worn out and finished with our day by dinner. We only ate in the park for snacks and when we went to EPCOT.

C

Chibibar

I just book via Disneyworld.com and put up lodging (9 days) 3 people WITH meals plan (1 snack, 1 quick, 1 sit down meal) and cost only $3500. We even got an upgrade to higher level suite due to a promotion happen during my vacation (200$ gift card + upgrade) and cost only 50$ more... which was AWESOME.

The cool part?

You can make payments and the balance has to be paid off one month before you arrive at the park.

Yes it is expensive, but at least you can pre-pay it interest free!

This is the very reason I don't go on vacations (and I have spare money every income tax season).

I just can't spend that kind of money on something that'll only be remembered in pictures. :eek:rly:

Shegokigo said:
This is the very reason I don't go on vacations (and I have spare money every income tax season).

I just can't spend that kind of money on something that'll only be remembered in pictures. :eek:rly:
I don't even take that many pictures, but I'm still the kind of person who'd rather spend money on an experience than a material good. Give me a good restaurant meal over a new video game any day; and a trip to almost anywhere over, say, a $5000 HDTV.

L

lafftaff

Chazwozel said:
I demand you to get my name stiched on my pair of Mickey ears.

J

JCM

Garbledina said:
Shegokigo said:

I don't even take that many pictures, but I'm still the kind of person who'd rather spend money on an experience than a material good. Give me a good restaurant meal over a new video game any day; and a trip to almost anywhere over, say, a $5000 HDTV.
Agreed.

Theres just so much out there to do and to see that it seems like a waste to throw that away on yet another tv, so best of luck to Chaz.

It has been a while since Ive last went to Disney World (my last visit was 2003), but I liked the Aerosmith RockNRollercoaster, but for the kids, choose the Pirates of the caribbean, Haunted Mansion and Everest expedition.

Garbledina said:
I'll take the TV, thanks. :toocool:

L

Laurelai

You'll be 45 miles west of me /wave

My advice isn't for rides, my advice is for the weather. You are coming here at the peak of Nuclear Hot season. If you aren't accustomed to it, the heat coupled with the humidity is pretty intense. The heat is going to be harrrrrd on your two year old so water water water water and more water and wear your hats and sunscreen.

C

Chazwozel

Garbledina said:
Shegokigo said:

Yes ma'am. I'd rather shell out 10 grand to travel the world than for a new car or shit like that. (of course new shit is always nice too, but it's not my priority).

-- Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:46 pm --

JCM said:
Garbledina said:
Shegokigo said:

Agreed.

Theres just so much out there to do and to see that it seems like a waste to throw that away on yet another tv, so best of luck to Chaz.

It has been a while since Ive last went to Disney World (my last visit was 2003), but I liked the Aerosmith RockNRollercoaster, but for the kids, choose the Pirates of the caribbean, Haunted Mansion and Everest expedition.

I mean personally, I'd rather go to Italy with that money, but my kids won't enjoy that kind of vacation until they're older.

-- Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:48 pm --

Laurelai said:

My advice isn't for rides, my advice is for the weather. You are coming here at the peak of Nuclear Hot season. If you aren't accustomed to it, the heat coupled with the humidity is pretty intense. The heat is going to be harrrrrd on your two year old so water water water water and more water and wear your hats and sunscreen.

Yeah, we won't really be going on many of the rollercoaster type rides. Epcot is totally not on the agenda (I'd love to go, but my kids will be bored out of their skulls). We're pretty much hitting Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, and one day we're splitting up Typhoon Lagoon with the Movie studio park. I also squeezed in a day for Sea World.

With some pressure from the fiancee, earlier this year I checked the prices out and it was simply insane. Along with my fears to be surrounded by thousands of screaming kids and fanbois and fat tourist retards let me tell you that I didn't press "I accept". There's just no way I'm forking that much money for honestly.... a theme park. Sure, they have live shows and all kinds of cool things to do and see but I'll forget most of all that after 3 months and at that type of price I can't just have that. For that kind of money, I'd expect Felicia Day dressed as Jessica Rabbit show up at my room, roleplay her part and provide me carnal services every night.

I did however book 2 weeks in Italy during the month of September. That won't be as easily forgotten and the entire 2 week costs and budget was the equivalent of one week in Disney + 500$ saved for "shopping expenses".

I'll go one day, perhaps with kids or something but wow, they sure are milking it.

C

Chibibar

SeriousJay said:
With some pressure from the fiancee, earlier this year I checked the prices out and it was simply insane. Along with my fears to be surrounded by thousands of screaming kids and fanbois and fat tourist retards let me tell you that I didn't press "I accept". There's just no way I'm forking that much money for honestly.... a theme park. Sure, they have live shows and all kinds of cool things to do and see but I'll forget most of all that after 3 months and at that type of price I can't just have that. For that kind of money, I'd expect Felicia Day dressed as Jessica Rabbit show up at my room, roleplay her part and provide me carnal services every night.

I did however book 2 weeks in Italy during the month of September. That won't be as easily forgotten and the entire 2 week costs and budget was the equivalent of one week in Disney + 500$ saved for "shopping expenses".

I'll go one day, perhaps with kids or something but wow, they sure are milking it.
Oh I agree that the theme park is expensive but at least Disney offer the same thing like cruises (pay in advance in portion until 1 month before the trip) You should never go on the "heavy days" on Disney like Xmas, New Year or summer time ;)

We are going around October. One of the slower time and thus the park is less crowded.... yay!

Last time I went was around 2001 in January. Winter is by far the best time to go, and Orlando doesn't get all that cold. Lines were minimal and for some rides you could even get right back on without a wait.

C

Chibibar

Jake said:
Last time I went was around 2001 in January. Winter is by far the best time to go, and Orlando doesn't get all that cold. Lines were minimal and for some rides you could even get right back on without a wait.
We are going on October :) so get to experience the Halloween stuff :) woot! my wife is totally excited about the trip.

This is her first time going ALSO Disney World offer 1 day free pass on your Birthday :) since we are paying in advance, we get a 75$ giftcard instead.

Just went last march for one week with the girlfriend, then when she was visiting back in June we drove over for a day. We're also going back in September for another 7 days. My favorite park is probably Hollywood Studios with Epcot second.

Let's see for me, her, and her family(three more) with lodging and the meal plan it was about 6k i think. Expensive but probably the most fun I've had in years. We're staying at Port Orleans Riverside. The three hotels in the park(Contemporary, Grand Floridian and Polynesian) are pretty damn expensive so we aren't going to stay at those.

And I'd skip Typhoon Lagoon. i Iheard from my girlfriend it's really just a giant wave pool or whatever they are called. Blizzard Beach has more water slides. But that might not be the thing for a little kid.

The new Toy Story ride in Hollywood studios is REALLY fun but the last two times we were there it was almost a 2 hour wait. SO if you plan to get on there, get there as soon as the park opens to avoid the wait as much as possible. The Muppet show is funny(as it should be) and the Lights, Motors, Action! stunt show is amazing. They also have a Disney Imagineering(i think that's what it is) thing for kids.

Also don't skip Epcot. The World Showcase is worth it(i love being in the England side and listening to The Beatles cover band). And the fireworks at 8 or 9, i think, are much better than the Magic Kingdom's. Not only that but Epcot has a dedicated meet and greet place for Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Donald and Goofy(for the kid/s).

But yeah have fun. I love being just a 30 minute ride away from Disney. I'll probably go again sometime before September for a day or two.

Edit: I forgot, Fastpass will be your friend. Do it when you can.

And yet my two weeks inFlorida won't be my most expensive trip next year. Ugh. Half my life's savings will be spent on two holidays. Let's just assume I'm in the "experiences over material goods" category :-P

Dude... don't bad mouth Disney... you never know when his frozen head will escape again to feast on people's souls...

Z

Zarvox

Laurelai said:

Chaz – take Laurelai's post seriously. If you don't, the following things will happen to you (in order):

1. You'll get a nasty sunburn on the first day, casting a pall over the whole thing, as you won't be truly comfortable the entire time you're there.
2. On the second day, you will get dehydrated, ruining that day. Symptoms to look for are (in order) headache, irritability, tiredness, lightheadedness (if it's gotten this far, you're really fucking dumb), nausea. Burns dehydrate, so your sunburn will only exacerbate things. Simple rule of thumb: if you're not peeing clear, you're not drinking enough. Until you really start to know your limits in Florida heat, overcompensate. Way better to have to pee every half hour than to have this happen to you.
3. The previous two days' experiences have made you grouchy. You don't really enjoy the third day.
4. Things finally start to pick up, and your sunburn is mostly healed.

I grew up in Florida in a largely non-air conditioned house. I know what I'm talking about. Don't make the same mistakes damn near every first time yankee tourist makes coming down here.

C

Chazwozel

Zarvox said:
Laurelai said:

Chaz – take Laurelai's post seriously. If you don't, the following things will happen to you (in order):

1. You'll get a nasty sunburn on the first day, casting a pall over the whole thing, as you won't be truly comfortable the entire time you're there.
2. On the second day, you will get dehydrated, ruining that day. Symptoms to look for are (in order) headache, irritability, tiredness, lightheadedness (if it's gotten this far, you're really smurfing dumb), nausea. Burns dehydrate, so your sunburn will only exacerbate things. Simple rule of thumb: if you're not peeing clear, you're not drinking enough. Until you really start to know your limits in Florida heat, overcompensate. Way better to have to pee every half hour than to have this happen to you.
3. The previous two days' experiences have made you grouchy. You don't really enjoy the third day.
4. Things finally start to pick up, and your sunburn is mostly healed.

I grew up in Florida in a largely non-air conditioned house. I know what I'm talking about. Don't make the same mistakes damn near every first time yankee tourist makes coming down here.
Oh I know this. My wife and I frequent places like St. Lucia and Trinidad all the time. I'm not much into tanning so I rock the spf 50.

But Zarvox, if irritability is a sign of dehydration..... then Chaz must have been lacking in some serious water consumption for quite a while now.

:rimshot:

K

Koko

So whenever anyone is offended by anything you say you can just yell
I'm thirsty it's not my fault!

Z

Zarvox

Koko said:
So whenever anyone is offended by anything you say you can just yell
I'm thirsty it's not my fault!
'Cept it is your fault. For not drinking water.

as an ex-cast member ( i used to be on the other side of the phone lines booking vacations, and also front desk at the yacht and beach club) let me recommend the end of september until the first week of november, two weeks before christmas, and then a week or two after new years...its cooler, there are less people, everyone is super nice 'cause they are glad the stress of the holidays is gone, and you can catch some of the off-season stuff like not so scary halloween.

also...universal/islands is whole worlds cheaper to visit, 100 bucks gets you a week at both parks, is right offa international drive where there are a ton of fairly well priced hotels and tourist trap stores and restaurants. they have a kick ass halloween event (mostly for adults, halloweenhorrornights.com, i go every year), and they do similar holiday events. add in characters the kids are into like superheros, shrek, all the nik stuff, and an edgy attitude (they have some great jabs at disney in the horror make up show), AND the fact that the mouse is only 20 minutes away, and you have a ton of win.

make sure you make room for downtown disney, its a GREAT place to chill for half a day and shop and get your fill of disney. there are some great places to eat there also.

if you are staying off property check out time shares...many people offer to sell you their time for near what you would pay for a decent hotel, and they often include kitchens and other useful ameneties like washers and dryers. we normally stay at a place called vacation village, always clean, reliable, and safe, and near many places to eat and stores as well.

yeah...just some suggestions....

S

Scarlet Varlet

Chazwozel said:
So as a surprise for my wife and the offspring (our anniversary is tomorrow and the girl turns 2), I decided to book a trip to Disney World. Good smurfing Christ this place is expensive. Some of these packages range to the $10k area! Fortunately I found a nice little package for around 3K. But man, some of these packages are enough money to fund a trip around the world!

Yeah, that's where they really get you.

Being a stranger to such things as Disney World/Land/Euro/Tokyo/Beijing/Calcutta/etc. I was on a trip to Los Angeles for an EDI conference with some co-workers. The analyst woman I often worked with felt compelled to expose this stranger to the strange land, so we flew down a day early (the company was completely good with this, paying for the extra days for our hotel rooms and the extra day on the auto rental .. I miss those days) and she dragged me through most of Disneyland with the enthusiasm only a gleeful parent can foist upon offspring, whilst reliving her own magical first time there. Food and odds and ends, no matter how frugal I tried to be, still drained my wallet of money as a lamphrey drains the blood of a codfish.

I expect you to be flogging some .. uh .. borrowed things from work in an attempt to stem the tide of red on your credit card when you return home.

Enjoy anyway and try not to think of the suffering you'll experience when you get home and confront a new fiscal reality. :thumbsup:

C

Chibibar

Vacations are just.... vacation for YOU. What you (the general you) might like to spend your free time is it ultimately up to you. some of us don't mind spending thousands of dollars (once in a while, we are poor after all ;) ) on a vacation and just have fun. Of course on the other hand, I wouldn't mind buying a 3000$ TV and just enjoy it for the next 5 years either. So understand where both camps are coming from.

Disney World is not for everyone. I personally loved it when I went YEARS ago (15 I think) this is my wife's first time (she been to Disneyland bunch of time) so it will be fun for us.

I hope y'all have a good time at Disney.

does anyone know if Epcot still has that massive arcade? Last time I went there they were tons of kisoks showing of the latest and greatest sega saturn.

figmentPez

Staff member
Covar said:
does anyone know if Epcot still has that massive arcade? Last time I went there they were tons of kisoks showing of the latest and greatest sega saturn.
I didn't see one when I was there in May, but I had a busy day with my family and we focused mostly on the World Showcase. I loved that arcade, it was the first time I played on an N64, I think. What they did have in Innoventions was a lot more varied. They had Segways, and a whole lot of interactive stations about the environment. I didn't get to see all of it.

One thing I did notice at EPCOT is that there's a lot more for kids to do in the World Showcase than there was the last time I went (in 1996). They've got playgrounds and kids activities scattered around now.

C

Chibibar

figmentPez said:
Covar said:
I didn't see one when I was there in May, but I had a busy day with my family and we focused mostly on the World Showcase. I loved that arcade, it was the first time I played on an N64, I think. What they did have in Innoventions was a lot more varied. They had Segways, and a whole lot of interactive stations about the environment. I didn't get to see all of it.

One thing I did notice at EPCOT is that there's a lot more for kids to do in the World Showcase than there was the last time I went (in 1996). They've got playgrounds and kids activities scattered around now.
a co-worker who goes there every year saying that Epcot is going to be under renovation. I am not sure when and how long that will be.

Covar said:

near the segway area in Innovations were kiosks with PS2s with disney games playing(like Bolt and Cars). that was about all i saw for traditional video games.

Status
Not open for further replies.