Daily Show & Colbert Report to hold competing rallies 10/30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today, on The Daily Show, Jon Stewart announced The Rally to Restore Sanity to be held at the National Mall on October 30th.

Not to be outdone and, in fact, in an attempt to outdo, Stephen Colbert announced The March to Keep Fear Alive on his show, The Colbert Report.

I really, really want to go. However, I currently do not have a job, so it makes it tough. I'm pretty sure I can get up there ok, but the hotel rooms are a bit on the pricey side. If anyone else from here wants to go and split the cost of a hotel room, let me know.

Anyone else planning to go can post your thoughts here.

Are they having them back to back at the National Mall? Or perhaps simultaneously and nearby locations?

Regardless, I'm not sure these will be BIGGER than Beck's rally (as he and his fan base are actually serious, unfortunately), but I'm almost certain the content will be both funnier AND more truthful than anything he did. I full expect Stewart to knock it out of the park with his honest sincerity and for Colbert to use his exaggerated persona to entertain and reveal "truthiness" as always. In any event, I expect it will be a night to remember.

Also, I hope we get a special of it on Comedy Central.

Hey... some of us have to wait a day to get the shows... how about not spoiling it in the thread title there buddy.

Because on the surface all it seems to be IS a mocking of Beck's rally and I'm no longer amused by "I disagree with that guy, so he's CRAZY". The discussion is so poisoned and ideologically driven that I don't even find it funny anymore, even if the guys putting on these rallies happen to be, in fact, funny people.

Hey... some of us have to wait a day to get the shows... how about not spoiling it in the thread title there buddy.
You couldn't have figured it out from the hints at the end of each Daily Show for the last 2 weeks? They pretty much said exactly what they were going to do already, it was just a matter of when.

Because on the surface all it seems to be IS a mocking of Beck's rally and I'm no longer amused by "I disagree with that guy, so he's CRAZY". The discussion is so poisoned and ideologically driven that I don't even find it funny anymore, even if the guys putting on these rallies happen to be, in fact, funny people.
It always seemed to me that they weren't lambasting him over his views, but rather his despicable and deplorable tactics, which often defy logic and work to further that full-on hate and bigotry that has dominated politics since the introduction of the 24 hour news cycle and cable news networks. If they've done anything through this ordeal, it's not ridicule him for his Right wing views, but rather shine a rather harsh and revealing light on just ridiculous it was for him to claim that his rally would be some sort of historical event that would "change America", especially considering he chickened out and removed all the political commentary from his speech at the last minute.

You have to admit... for the de-facto media spokesmen of the Left, John Stewart is incredibly mild mannered and moderate, especially when compared to his "equals" on Fox News. He's also respectful, open minded, and genuinely passionate about calling people out on corruption. That's the reason he gets ex and current Heads of State on his show, which is supposed to be a comedy program.

You have to admit... for the de-facto media spokesmen of the Left, John Stewart is incredibly mild mannered and moderate, especially when compared to his "equals" on Fox News. He's also respectful, open minded, and genuinely passionate about calling people out on corruption. That's the reason he gets ex and current Heads of State on his show, which is supposed to be a comedy program.
I can't find it right now, but I recall a Fox & Friends interview with John Boehner, who among other things got asked why he went on TDS, and he said that it's because John let's him say his piece and asks honest respectable questions.

I am likely going. I reserved a spot on a bus, you can get a spot too: Rally to Restore Sanity - DC Rally Bus I know the notice is a bit late as monday (Oct 18th) is the deadline to sign up for one of these, sorry.

No hotel required as the buses will aim to arrive at 9am on Saturday (Oct 30th) and then leave again at 6pm the same day. I'd love to meet up with anyone else that is going.

Argh! I just found out last night that there's a bus from Toronto for $95.

Its so tempting and its such a good price but I still really can't afford it. But... Argh!
WHAT DO I DO!? WHAT DO I DO?!

Status
Not open for further replies.