[D&D 4e] Ecology of the Sliver

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a preview of the pdf I'm still working on.

Ecology of the Sliver
Slivers are an awe inspiring race of chitin and sinew, connected through an alien, unfathomable hive mind directed by the Sliver Queen and her numerous Princes. Most slivers are simple workers, the soldiers of the hives. They patrol the miles of hive-tunnels, repairing them, and building new ones. The soldiers also defend the hive, swarming together in a massive horde to overrun any threat to their Queen.

The typical sliver is encased in smooth, interlocking, mottled charcoal grey and black chitin armor that covers a hard body of muscle and sinew with thick bones. This design makes the slivers very hard to kill. Their bodies are thick, wedge shaped serpents, at their widest at the shoulders, where two single jointed talon-arms join the body. The talon-arms fold up against the body, much like the arms of a praying mantis. Only the slivers talons are razor sharp and smooth.

Their heads are also wedge shaped, narrowing to a blunt point in the front. Two horns split the top of the wedge, with ridges running down the horns onto the face. These ridges contain the eyes of the slivers, which glow with a dim luminescence in pure darkness.

Nearly all slivers have the unique ability to enhance other slivers with abilities that mimic their own. This trait makes the slivers a truly dangerous foe to face in great numbers. These traits and abilities often shape the sliver into different forms and colors. For example, the Feathered Sliver has frills of soft, downy feathers and wings that stretch out from their sides to the undersides of their talon-arms. Their voracious appetite for flesh of any kind, combined with the hive mind intelligence, and the natural, cunning instincts born to them, make them a threat to all civilization.

Lore
The following information about slivers can be obtained with a successful Nature check.
DC 15: Slivers are natural creatures, a product of survival of the fittest, although no one is sure where they came from in the first place.
DC 20: Sliver hives are created in a two-step process. The first step is to tunnel through earth and stone. The slivers then coat the rough tunnels with a thick substance that hardens and is shaped into the ridged patterns of the hive.
DC 25: Slivers have the ability to share traits and abilities between themselves. Killing the sliver providing the aura is a quick way to even the odds in an encounter.
DC 30: The Sliver Queen and her Brood Slivers are the source of all slivers. Slay them, and you might save the world. Of course, that'll be much more difficult than saving some pompous, whiny cheerleader.

Acidic Sliver
The acidic sliver has mottled green and black chitin armor. They prefer to wait in hiding and ambush their foes, but they often overestimate their ability to survive in melee combat. Once bloodied, the acidic sliver begins to look for a way out, in case the battle goes against them. They continue to use their acidic blood and spit it at foes as they retreat.
Code:
Acidic Sliver	Level 1 Elite Artillery
Medium natural beast (sliver)	XP 200
Initiative +0	Senses Perception +4; low-light
HP 52; Bloodied 26	Speed 6
AC 15; Fortitude 15, Reflex 16, Will 13
Resist Acid 2
Talon (standard, at-will)
+6 vs AC; 1d6+3 damage
Double Strike (standard, at-will)
The sliver makes two talon attacks against a single target.
Acid Orb (standard, at-will) ? Acid
Ranged 10; +5 vs Reflex; 1d6+3 acid damage and all creatures in a burst 1 around the target takes 3 acid damage.
Acid Burst (immediate reaction when bloodied) ? Acid
Close burst 1; +5 vs Reflex; 2d6+6 acid damage. The acid burst happens again, as an immediate reaction when the acidic sliver is reduced to 0 hit points.
Hive Mind
As long as one sliver in the encounter is not surprised, this sliver is not surprised. In addition, as long as one sliver in the encounter has line of sight, all slivers have line of sight.
Alignment Unaligned	Languages Unknown
Skills Perception +4, Stealth +8
Str 10 (+0)	Dex 16 (+3)	Wis 8 (-1)
Con 14 (+2)	Int 8 (-1)	Cha 13 (+1)
Equipment none
Sliver Lurk
The lurk is a juvenile that didn't grow into a soldier. Instead, they remained small and their chitin darkened, giving them better concealment amongst the hive tunnels and in the shadows. They prefer to strike from the flanks, retreating if a strong foe turns their attention on the lurk.
Code:
Sliver Lurk	Level 1 Lurker
Small natural beast (sliver)	XP 100
Initiative +4	Senses Perception +4; low-light
HP 24; Bloodied 12	Speed 6
AC 15; Fortitude 12, Reflex 16, Will 13
+6 vs AC; 1d6+3 damage
The lurk makes two talon attacks against a single target.
Instinctive Shift (immediate reaction, at-will)
The lurk can shift 1 square after dealing damage. 
Combat Advantage 
The lurk deals +1d6 damage if they have combat advantage.
Hive Mind
As long as one sliver in the encounter is not surprised, this sliver is not surprised. In addition, as long as one sliver in the encounter has line of sight, all slivers have line of sight.
Alignment Unaligned	Languages Unknown
Skills Perception +4, Stealth +10
Str 10 (+0)	Dex 17 (+3)	Wis 8 (-1)
Con 14 (+2)	Int 8 (-1)	Cha 13 (+1)
Equipment none

:Leyla: Dear Lord. Did I ever hate Slivers. Sure, they weren't very playable, but the whole concept of them...*shudder*

Wait 'til you see the full pdf article of all the slivers. When you add in the auras that spread special abilities around, it starts to get crazy. :aaahhh:

As for M:tG slivers, they were a top deck in the circuit for awhile.

Brigand said:
Wait 'til you see the full pdf article of all the slivers. When you add in the auras that spread special abilities around, it starts to get crazy. :aaahhh:

As for M:tG slivers, they were a top deck in the circuit for awhile.
Really? Well, I did have a TimeSpiral sliver deck, with the mana acceleration (I believe Gemhide) slivers, it was doable, but still too slow for my tastes.

I don't know if they were an absolutely unbeatable deck, but I recall hearing about slivers being a powerful deck in recent years. Been awhile since I bothered looking at M:tG for anything other than D&D artwork to steal.

Brigand said:
I don't know if they were an absolutely unbeatable deck, but I recall hearing about slivers being a powerful deck in recent years. Been awhile since I bothered looking at M:tG for anything other than D&D artwork to steal.
Huh.

Well, I guess if you make the right combinations and have some mana accelleration. I'm not into tournaments though so I wouldn't know.

Anyway, looking forward (or am I :Leyla: ) to the end product.

Another sample and a little easier to read...

Flamescarred Sliver
Lvl 5 Elite Artillery - Medium natural beast (sliver)
XP 480
Initiative +0
Senses Perception +6; low-light vision
HP 1; Bloodied 1
Speed 6
Action Points 1
AC 10; Fortitude 10, Reflex 10, Will 10

+6 vs AC; 1d6+3 damage

The sliver makes two talon attacks against a single target.

Boiling Blood
Aura 10; All slivers in the aura gain Resist Fire 2 and deal an additional 2 fire damage with melee attacks. This bonus increases to Resist Fire 5 and +1d6 fire damage at 11th level and Resist Fire 15 and +2d6 fire damage at 21st level.

Fire Bolt (standard, at-will) ? Fire
Ranged 10/20; +8 vs Reflex; 1d8+5 fire damage and the target suffers 2 ongoing fire damage

Cinderflame (standard, encounter recharge 4 5 6)
Close Blast 3; +8 vs Reflex; 2d10+5 fire damage to each target in blast. Targets hit by the attack also suffer 2 ongoing fire damage.

Hive Mind
Alignment Evil
Languages Unknown
Skills Perception +6, Stealth +12
Str 12 (+3) | Dex 20 (+7) | Wis 8 (+1)
Con 16 (+5) | Int 8 (+1) | Cha 16 (+5)
Equipment none

Status
Not open for further replies.