1. Welcome to Halforums!

At Halforums, we value everyone's input. Please feel free to post without having to create an account. You will have to complete a few more steps than a full member and have to put up with this annoying notice on every page. If you want to join, click Register and start talking!

Already a member? Login Now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to Halforums!

At Halforums, we value everyone's input. Please feel free to post without having to create an account. You will have to complete a few more steps than a full member and have to put up with this annoying notice on every page. If you want to join, click Register and start talking!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  6. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice

Cosplay on SyFy???

Discussion in 'Pez's Playhouse & Cosplay Corner' started by ncts_dodge_man, Apr 9, 2013.

1. PatrThom

PatrThom Genuinely Curious

Books:
    ^^^This.

--Patrick

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  2. LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin la femme

Books:
    That would be great, but that treades on Project Runways toes - so I doubt that would fly. As amazing as it would be though! I'm so on board with that.

3. figmentPez

figmentPez Cosplay Czar Staff Member

Books:
    I dunno, put in enough twists and it could be as different from Project Runway as Chopped is from Iron Chef.

Get Marvel comics to sponsor it, and have the contest to be the next face of Marvel comics. (I'm not suggesting that we let DC comics become connected to anything involving female fans.)

4. Bowielee

Bowielee Globally ignored since 1975

Books:
    From a completely legal standpoint, I'm kind of surprised that this show even made it to air. As the whole issue over photography rights points out, it's an incredibly sticky copyright infringement minefield. Simply because it's a whole lot of trademarked characters being used for profit. Not by the cosplayers or con-producers, but by the SciFi network. I'm kind of surprised that some of the more litigeous companies out there haven't already started the paperwork to nail NBC/Universal to the wall.

5. Null

Null Random Internet Nobody

Books:
    Well, a lot of cosplayers sell prints and merchandise based off of other people's Intellectual Property. I guess it's a legal grey area? It doesn't seem like it would be covered by "Fair Use" since they are using it for profit, but by the same token, I don't think you could mistake their work for official product. On the other hand, it might be unwise to be overly litigious since it's basically free advertising.

6. PatrThom

PatrThom Genuinely Curious

Books:
    Fair Use doctrine has exceptions for parody or for adaptations which are "substantially transformative," whatever that means. I don't pretend to know all the details but I keep seeing references to this in regards to things like WeirdAl parodies, YouTube recasting, etc.

--Patrick