Comic movie you'd like to see

Status
Not open for further replies.

fade

Staff member
What comic book movie would you like to see?

Personally, I'd love to see something LESS realistic. We've spent over a decade on the realistic style superhero movie. How about one that embraces the comic roots? I wouldn't mind if they filtered out the corniness, but I'd also like to see, say, a Thor movie that didn't spend half the film focused on 3 people where Thor rarely acts like a superhuman figure. You know what might work? Planet/WW Hulk. Those were some of the best things to come out of Marvel recently. Civil War was nice, but it was definitely Nolanesque. It's too bad it will never happen, because that's way too many intellectual properties on the screen at once.

BananaHands

Staff member
Deadpool, obviously.

I'd also love Howard the Duck to just make one cameo. Just one. The hero would be all sad... and out would come Howard.
"YOU THINK YOU HAVE IT BAD!? I'm surrounded by hairless apes!" Then just storm off.

Off the top of my head?

Slapstick
Metal Men
Shade, the Changing Man (original series)
Spider-Woman/Jessica Drew (especially anything from Madripoor)
Power Man & Iron Fist (<---This THIIIISSSSSSS...)

--Patrick

You prompted me to check on the status of th Y: The last man movie. looks like just last month it found new script writers. Sorry for no link. I'm on a tablet and also lazy.

Off the top of my head?

Slapstick
Metal Men
Shade, the Changing Man (original series)
Spider-Woman/Jessica Drew (especially anything from Madripoor)
Power Man & Iron Fist (<---This THIIIISSSSSSS...)

--Patrick
I'd watch the hell out of a Slapstick movie. well, I kind of did, on account of I've seen the Mask.

fade

Staff member
I know Patrick mentioned Shade the Changing Man, but The Shade might be good, too. The way he wavers between good guy and bad guy would be fun in the hands of the right director.

I'm still convinced that Challengers of the Unknown would make for a great TV show.

Kingdom Come would fail as a movie the exact same way Watchmen did, made even worse by the fact that the actors wouldn't look like Alex Ross's models.

How about a Superman movie that doesn't suck?

Anyone know who the villain in "Man of Steel" is supposed to be yet?

And they did already make a great movie just as you describe sixpackschaker, and it was called Superman 2 and it was awesome.

Just off the top of my head:
-Elephantmen (I hear the movie rights have been sold, but that means little)
-Invincible (ditto on movie rights; apparently, Kirkman even wrote a script)
-Wonder Woman (they could've easily taken the script from the animated movie and made it live action)
-Starman (as a television series)
-Another Hellboy movie, before Ron Pearlman gets too old for the part
-Fantastic Four done right (but totally bring back Michael Chiklis as The Thing because that was perfect casting)

And finally...*sob*...finally, I wish someone would provide the funding for this:

fade

Staff member
I'm still convinced that Challengers of the Unknown would make for a great TV show.

Kingdom Come would fail as a movie the exact same way Watchmen did, made even worse by the fact that the actors wouldn't look like Alex Ross's models.

How about a Superman movie that doesn't suck?
Meh on Kingdom Come. I just wasn't all that impressed by that story. It had a lot of people acting out of character for the sake of acting out of character. Not that it has anything to do with a movie, but I'm just not a fan of Alex Ross, either. If I wanted my comics to look like photos, I'd just buy a comic made out of photos.

I'm sort of there with you, fade. While I can't deny Ross' art is gorgeous, it's just incredibly...static. Being so photorealistic means they look literally like photos. Which creates that static feeling to the action. I'd much prefer artists like Darwyn Cooke, David Aja, or Michael Lark.

I think that Alex Ross does an excellent job of showing motion in his art. He's far and away my favorite comic book artist. The idea that comic books have to look "comic booky" is kind of stupid.

As for the story of Kingdom come, It's still one of the most compelling comics I've ever read. I don't get where characters were acting out of character. Superman reacted as can be expected. When the world rejected him, he felt he was no longer needed. The characters didn't change, but the world did. I know the characterization of WW gets a lot of flack, but honestly, WW hasn't had a consistent characterization through most of her publication history. She's be depicted as both Amazon warrior and peace maker.

Also, the whole Superman creating the prison thing shows exactly how slanted his black and white morality can lead to the darkest of places, even with the best of intentions.

I think that Alex Ross does an excellent job of showing motion in his art. He's far and away my favorite comic book artist. The idea that comic books have to look "comic booky" is kind of stupid.
Neither fade nor I said comic book art needed to be "comic booky." Don't put words in our mouths.

My point is that that any artist that does hyper-realistic art will be static by default. You can't help that. Yes, he does action incredibly well, such as the fight between Superman and Captain Marvel. But they look more like snapshots than a blow-by-blow fight. There's no motion to them in the sense that you can't see the movement. Other artists, especially someone like David Aja, show a lot more movement in their work. There are actual indications that there's motion, such as motion lines. As I said, Ross' work is gorgeous, but they're static snapshots.

I say this as a big fan of Kingdom Come, though. It's still one of my favourite comic series.

I'd say the fact that he can portray motion without the use of motion lines makes him a far superior artist. Motion lines = comic booky.

And my point is that he doesn't portray motion at all, which is the problem. Photorealistic = photo-like snapshots = no motion.

Ah. So he did. I stand corrected. I don't feel the same way, as I think any way to combine art with words is fine. I'm just saying that the photo-realistic doesn't depict action as well as more iconographic art.

Right artist for the right job. Kingdom Come isn't about the action and the fights (although still one of the greatest Captain Marvel/Superman fights of all time), so the nature of Ross's art doesn't serve as a detriment. It also serves to ground the story with it's realistic artwork, further enhancing the themes of the piece. It wouldn't have worked so well with another artist, and likewise Alex Ross's work doesn't lend itself to a lot of other comic stories.

So Patrick, keep or ditch the purple jumpsuits and white gloves? Personally I think they should keep them, and really play up the pulp rough and tumble adventure side of the Challengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.