[Comic Books] Surrogates

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elph

Anyone get read this mini series?

I was reading a news article about how Hollywood is using even more comics (no real surprise) to make their movies and such, and it clued me in that 2 movies that have peaked my interest in their theories have come from comics. Those 2 are Surrogates (the upcoming Bruce Willis movie) and Whiteout (the upcoming Kate Bekinsale movie).

Since I'm really out of the comic book loop and don't really go into a comic store, I don't see the covers and get to talk to the people to hear about the things coming and what may interest me. So, I miss out at first.

So, onto Surrogates. Anyone that's watched the previews of the movie get the gist of the theory of the world. The US (the comic takes place in Georgia) goes to a 92% usage of robotic surrogates to interact with the world and someone has an agenda to destroy them all. The comic is really short (only 5 issues), but I guess it's understandable. It doesn't take a lot to get the point across and dragging it along would just be somewhat lame. I also don't want to go too much into detail and give things away, it's a fairly predicatble story. I'm just curious if anyone else has read it and their thoughts on it.

I haven't read Whiteout just yet. It's actually only a couple of issues.

I've also come to the conclusion that I really don't mind if a book I read varies greatly when it gets translated into a movie. In the article I read (I'd link it, but I can't find it now) one fo the writers for Whiteout says (to paraphrase) "I got my chance to tell the story how I wanted. It's great to see what to see 250+ people are doing with their creativity in how to tell it. It all just amazes me." Sure, there are some adaptations I would love to see be as close to the source as possible, but they always fail at some level. I'd be happy if just the spirit of the story is kept alive, which is usually the case.

If Whiteout is the Comic I'm thinking of (Involving Antartica and written by Greg Rucka) then I would definitely recommend the comic.

ElJuski

Staff member
I'm kind of interested to see Bruce Willis slug it out against a bunch of robots. Looks like kitschy fun.

When the fuck are they going to make Transmetropolitan a movie? It would be awwwesooommme

For people around me who see the commercials for The Surrogates and have no idea of the comic book storyline, I tell them that Bruce Willis is analogous to the Agent Smith character from The Matrix, if the agents were the good guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.