Choose Your Own Painting (FINISHED!! 01/08)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so look.

I occasionally do oil paintings, but I have a hard time committing to a subject. As a result I only do like one a year, and I REALLY Enjoy it so I'd like to pick up the pace.

Here is my current problem.

I decided the best way to get over my issue was to just pick a base colour and START. Once I worked on it enough I would eventually form an image in my head.

So one day I went downstairs and painted a canvas orange-ish yellow, and gradually added some blue, and just this week, some stark white clouds.

But the painting is incomplete! I want to add some sort of foreground in black/dark brown silhouette, but I'm not sure what kind of skyline I want. So I'm asking my forumites for ideas!

WHAT SHOULD I DO.

UPDATE:

Alright, so I decided to fill out the clouds a bit, and add another transparent layer to 'em. Also, I have a rough skyline at the bottom starting. My eventual plan is to add another very transparent layer of clouds over top of the buildings, and paint an even DARKER foreground in from of that, of a drifter standing on some low hills.

(There may be some shiny part in this picture - those are parts where the paint isn't quite dry yet.)

ALSO:

The other night I went to the art store to pick up some more supplies, ans among other things, I bought three 9x12 canvasses. Now, I've never worked this small, and I have no idea what to do on them, or whether it will turn out well. I AM TAKING REQUESTS! :D

FINISHED! (Jan. 8 2009)

Let me know what you think!

ElJuski

Staff member
Choose Your Own Painting

Gusto said:
Rasputin said:
Giant penis.

That ought to get some looks.
SHOCK VALUE OF COURSE ;)
How about a really huge flower. Like, massive.

Possibly a mountain or some ruins or a city, if you don't want to use my giant flower idea :(

S

Soliloquy

Choose Your Own Painting

This really looks like it needs the silhouette of some kind of lone drifter staring out into the distance

S

Soliloquy

Choose Your Own Painting

Soliloquy said:
This really looks like it needs the silhouette of some kind of lone drifter staring out into the distance
Man... now I definitely want to see that.

Choose Your Own Painting

Soliloquy said:
This. Or, hill with one thin tree on it, and the silhouette of someone sleeping under it.

Choose Your Own Painting

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Here are a few of 'em in action, produced via a quick mouse job. Giant penises/flowers excluded.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Choose Your Own Painting

EVA-01 :D

When I worked on oil colours in a local Arts class, I sometimes had a lot of leftover colours on my pallette. Our teacher suggested that I could try something new with those during times when I couldn't continue on my main work (mostly because it was drying). She told me to take a sheet of thick paper, and told me to paint something with a thick brush.

Usually I'd make one line and then work around it. I don't have my best work here with me, but it began with a line of blue-grey, and grew up into a maelstrom of greys, blues and greens, with an abstract whale making a ouroboros-like figure around the green eye of Gaia. Okay, I was impressonable and a bit of a green hippy at the time... but I still love the serenity of that piece.

Choose Your Own Painting

North_Ranger said:
EVA-01 :D

When I worked on oil colours in a local Arts class, I sometimes had a lot of leftover colours on my pallette. Our teacher suggested that I could try something new with those during times when I couldn't continue on my main work (mostly because it was drying). She told me to take a sheet of thick paper, and told me to paint something with a thick brush.

Usually I'd make one line and then work around it. I don't have my best work here with me, but it began with a line of blue-grey, and grew up into a maelstrom of greys, blues and greens, with an abstract whale making a ouroboros-like figure around the green eye of Gaia. Okay, I was impressonable and a bit of a green hippy at the time... but I still love the serenity of that piece.
Yeah if my little bro has taught me anything, it's that you can paint almost fucking anything and SOMEONE will want to buy it. :eek:rly:

I don't like doing abstracts, but they make up 2 outta 3 of the paintings I've sold.

When I finish this one I'll make my OWN art thread.

With blackjack. And hookers.

Choose Your Own Painting

Gusto said:
Yeah if my little bro has taught me anything, it's that you can paint almost fucking anything and SOMEONE will want to buy it. :eek:rly:

I don't like doing abstracts, but they make up 2 outta 3 of the paintings I've sold.

Win for the Futurama quote

North_Ranger

Staff member
Choose Your Own Painting

Gusto said:

Awww, c'mon, that was mean.

I just tried something different for a change. Besides, it's just a hobby for me.

Choose Your Own Painting

North_Ranger said:
Gusto said:

Awww, c'mon, that was mean.

I just tried something different for a change. Besides, it's just a hobby for me.
I didn't mean it as offense.

I'm just a little pissed off that my brother, who has never given a crap about anything artistic, took up the brush as soon as I sold my first painting solely for the sake of INSTANTLY selling out.

Some of his stuff has a lot of promise, but he doesn't really care about whether he's improving at all.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Choose Your Own Painting

Gusto said:

I'm just a little pissed off that my brother, who has never given a crap about anything artistic, took up the brush as soon as I sold my first painting solely for the sake of INSTANTLY selling out.

Some of his stuff has a lot of promise, but he doesn't really care about whether he's improving at all.
No problem, Gusto. We's okay.

I'm glad, however, that you can actually sell your work. Me... I used to paint for my own pleasure. However, ever since I moved to Turku I've yet to find a time and place to paint again. The neighbours complain about the stench of turpentine if I paint on the balcony, and... well, I had this kind of an agreement with the arts class teacher when I painted: she'd give me pointers and advice, but she'd let me do my own thing (I took part in her classes for more than a decade when I was growing up). In her classes, I had a time and a place to work, but now... not so much.

Besides, it's too cold to paint on the balcony during winter.

C

chakz

Choose Your Own Painting

Oh hey! Greetings to a fellow oil painter! Looks like its gonna be cool, I wish you luck in your endeavor.

C

chakz

Choose Your Own Painting

Haha ok, see lately I've been the complete opposite, I'm in a class and I'd do anything to get people to shut up about my painting. I'm like "Its my painting, how bout you let me paint it and critique it later"

Do a boat with a man standing on. Can't go wrong with flying boats. Your clouds look nice. Very wispy- you may want to think about adding more color into them just so they look more alive and more real, Clouds aren't just white you know. But on the whole its looks like its going well. Keep up the good work.

Choose Your Own Painting

chakz said:
Haha ok, see lately I've been the complete opposite, I'm in a class and I'd do anything to get people to shut up about my painting. I'm like "Its my painting, how bout you let me paint it and critique it later"

Do a boat with a man standing on. Can't go wrong with flying boats. Your clouds look nice. Very wispy- you may want to think about adding more color into them just so they look more alive and more real, Clouds aren't just white you know. But on the whole its looks like its going well. Keep up the good work.

Thanks dude, will do.

And I'm totally the insecure artist type. Give me ideas and I can work with them. But I have a hard time coming up with something out of nothing.

C

chakz

Choose Your Own Painting

North_Ranger said:
Gusto said:

No problem, Gusto. We's okay.

I'm glad, however, that you can actually sell your work. Me... I used to paint for my own pleasure. However, ever since I moved to Turku I've yet to find a time and place to paint again. The neighbours complain about the stench of turpentine if I paint on the balcony, and... well, I had this kind of an agreement with the arts class teacher when I painted: she'd give me pointers and advice, but she'd let me do my own thing (I took part in her classes for more than a decade when I was growing up). In her classes, I had a time and a place to work, but now... not so much.

Besides, it's too cold to paint on the balcony during winter.

I use walnut oil as a medium, I love the stuff to death but my friend, coming from a glazing background, found it difficult to adapt to. He is actually sitting right next to me, and recommends turpenoid if your not in for the walnut oil, though he used it highschool and isn't sure so you may want to look it up.

Choose Your Own Painting

I use mineral spirits, and linseed oil. I'm just getting into glazing recently, and I think I've been able to get some decent results from it so far.

It's easier for me to do glazing since most of the pics I colour digitally use TONS of transparencies.

C

chakz

Choose Your Own Painting

Gusto said:
chakz said:

Thanks dude, will do.

And I'm totally the insecure artist type. Give me ideas and I can work with them. But I have a hard time coming up with something out of nothing.

Wanted to say this before but I was borrowing someone else's computer-

I have the same problem, Last night I was thinking about it and I discovered that a better way to think about this is not to just ask your self what kind of painting you want to do, but also to ask yourself "What kind of story do I want to tell?"

Choose Your Own Painting

UPDATE:

Alright, so I decided to fill out the clouds a bit, and add another transparent layer to 'em. Also, I have a rough skyline at the bottom starting. My eventual plan is to add another very transparent layer of clouds over top of the buildings, and paint an even DARKER foreground in from of that, of a drifter standing on some low hills.

(There may be some shiny part in this picture - those are parts where the paint isn't quite dry yet.)

ALSO:

The other night I went to the art store to pick up some more supplies, ans among other things, I bought three 9x12 canvasses. Now, I've never worked this small, and I have no idea what to do on them, or whether it will turn out well. I AM TAKING REQUESTS! :D

Choose Your Own Painting (UPDATED 12/20)

Opposite the drifter, as though he's looking towards it, a ferris wheel and carnival off in the distance.

-Adam

Choose Your Own Painting (UPDATED 12/20)

Thanks for the input everyone! This painting is DONE, and should be dry soon. I'll put up pics when I can, and I'll start on the next one. Maybe I should put up a new thread for that - thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.