Captain America - the first great Marvel Studios movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ugggghghghgh you really don't know what you are talking about.
What does it matter to you? I'm not going to see the movie, and I don't have to validate my reasons to you or anyone else. And you don't need me to get your own enjoyment out of the movie. If you do, that's your problem, not mine.

No. I am dollar voting against the movie itself, because the studio decided to 3D-ify it.

It doesn't matter what D it's in, because all the news reports will say "X movie took in $Y million at the box office this weekend." You won't see it broken down into what D made the most money, and even if it did, 3D would likely come out ahead even if it sold fewer tickets than the 2D version.

I don't just dollar vote against 3D, I dollar vote against the studios that do it. I dollar vote against the crap theaters that can't be bothered to reset their auditoriums properly after a 3D film has left. I dollar vote against the crap theaters that can't set up their auditoriums correctly for 3D in the first place.
It sounds like you're railing against crappy theaters than the movies themselves. It's already been pointed out by other people that grosses are split out by which version is making the most money, so that negates the bulk of your argument. As for your local theaters sucking, well that hardly has anything to do with the studios, now does it?

I stand by my statement. When CNN, MSNBC, or TMZ reports grosses on Sunday nights, the headline is just X made $Y.

You guys seem to be taking my not wanting to go see it awfully personally. How does my not seeing it detract from your enjoyment of the movie? Do you have a stake in the studio or something?

I'm actually Hugo Weaving. Why don't you want to see me play a nazi supervillain? I thought we were bros.

Saw it last night. It was great. Like the other Marvel Studios movies they touch on what makes the character a hero beyond their suit/super-power. Some great nods to the books, Human torch is in the movie, and they remember that Steve likes to draw. Nothing groundbreaking, setting out to change movies forever or anything, but another solid super-hero action movie that fans and non-fans can enjoy.

fun nod, that most people here will catch so I included it in a spoiler.
Loved the reference to Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I loved it. Saw it in 2D as well.

I will say, if you weren't a fan of Iron Man, and you were hoping this would be an improvement, you can probably go ahead and skip it. Same tone, same pacing, similar art direction... very much the same sort of film, except cheesier.

But for me, it was awesome.

What does it matter to you? I'm not going to see the movie, and I don't have to validate my reasons to you or anyone else. And you don't need me to get your own enjoyment out of the movie. If you do, that's your problem, not mine.
Then why get into a discussion about it in the first place?

EDIT: I was being naive; I know what's going on. It's the "they were right and I was wrong, but this is the internet so be damned if I'll say it, so I'm backing the fuck out and saying my true reason is a SECRET and they'll never comprehend it!"

Was it? Other than one or two moments I didn't feel like it was even noticeable. Certainly not Avatar level anyway, where it felt immersive imo.

I loved it. The only thing that bugged me is that they never seemed to mention the individual Howler's names on screen. Or call them The Howling Commandos. Or have anyone say "Wa-Hoo!" besides Dum-Dum. Or have him say it more than once. Which sucks, because I predict an internet meme around Dum-Dum Dugan because he's just that badass.

That poster makes me jizz my pants.

Hawkeye pretty much stopped being drawn with the masked uniform post Ultimatum.

And here I thought everyone would notice that's the wrong Iron-Man armor.

Yeah, a few.
More than a few, actually. Ultimate Hawkeye wore the uniform(s, I think there was some variation) that inspired the movie costume from 2002 (The Ultimates #1) to 2008 (The Ultimates 3 #1). He wore it in a total of roughly 61 issues (very rough, because I don't think he appeared every time The Ultimates did) across numerous limited series. He's worn the current purple suit (which has a couple variants) for roughly 39 issues across a few different series since 2008. With August's Ultimate Comics Hawkeye #1, he goes back to the original look. So yeah.

Weird. I've never seen a Hawkeye with guns before. I haven't looked at an Avengers comic since the 90s, though.
It's only in the Ultimate Universe that Hawkeye uses guns. It was one of Jeph Loeb's brilliant ideas. Mark Millar ran with it when he got his hands on the character again (to the surprise of no one) but Jonathan Hickman will be restoring the character to being a more traditional Hawkeye very soon.

And here I thought everyone would notice that's the wrong Iron-Man armor.
I noticed. I just didn't care.

Yet to see Captain America, but I hope to get a trip in next weekend or the one after.

As for the Avengers, the thing that still bothers me is that we will NOT be having Ant-Man or Wasp. It does not feel right without them. At LEAST get Wasp in there, so Black Window does not have to be the only female on the team.

Also, I think I am going to miss the "younger" Hulk from the last movie. The one in the poster seems a bit more aged and has less hair.

Considering Millar has a credit in the Avengers movie I'm shooting in the dark here and guessing they're drawing more than a little inspiration from the first two Ultimates series. Hawkeye included. Also, hopefully they're willfully ignoring anything Jeph Loeb has ever written in the Ultimates universe.

Ultimates 3 may be the worst comic ever made.

Status
Not open for further replies.