[Question] California Friends--ROUTE ADVICE PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajungal

Staff member
Hello, California Halforumites!

The fella and I are making some last-minute plans for our honeymoon, and we were thinking about routes we could take to avoid LA traffic. Here's the story:

We're flying into San Diego and staying there til July 13. From there we're driving up to San Francisco. We are looking at Google Map routes right now, and driving around LA adds an hour and a half or so of time to our trip. But we were thinking it might even out since we won't be going straight through the city. We're prepared for a long drive and are looking forward to it as long as we're going places and not stuck for too long.

Thanks very much. :)

One option would be to take the PCH all the way up. You'll get some traffic, but the drive is both scenic and interesting. There are all sorts of places to stop and explore along the way. The downside is that the route takes at least 10 hours, without long stops. So if you want to make a day trip of it, it's totally worth it. If you just want to get up to SF as soon as you can, then your best bet is to just go through LA on the 405. Taking side streets won't really help all that much, in my experience.

Do you want ideas or suggestions of things to do up here in the SF Bay Area? I assume that part of your trip is already planned out.

Cajungal

Staff member
Thank you, Tress! That was actually our plan, but we wanted to be sure we asked some people who have been there. I hear it's a lovely drive. The day we drive up is 100% free. We don't have to check in to our hotel in San Francisco until the day after. That's our one "adventure" day when we aren't sure where we're going to stop and/or sleep

We'd love some San Francisco suggestions. We don't have a whole lot planned--just wanna walk around and see the sights. My parents gave us some ideas, but we'd definitely welcome more! Also, I must see the Exploratorium!

Thank you, Tress! That was actually our plan, but we wanted to be sure we asked some people who have been there. I hear it's a lovely drive. The day we drive up is 100% free. We don't have to check in to our hotel in San Francisco until the day after. That's our one "adventure" day when we aren't sure where we're going to stop and/or sleep.
Let's see... interesting spots on PCH:
  • Pismo Beach (if for no other reason than you knowing what Bugs Bunny was talking about)
  • The Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (personal favorite)
  • Monterey Bay Aquarium / Downtown Monterey (they have some great food, and excellent fudge)
  • Point Lobos State Park (sea lions!)
  • Hearst Castle (I'm not a fan, but some people really love it)
  • The whole town of Santa Cruz
  • The whole San Luis Obispo area

... and there are many interesting things or towns to stop at along the way. There's probably a million things I missed or forgot about. The biggest and best reason to go is the view, though. It is such a gorgeous drive.

Here are two quick guides I found:
National Geographic guide to PCH
A Travel Channel Guide

As for stuff in San Francisco...hmm.

• I highly recommend the Exploratorium. Fun stuff!
  • You have to see the Golden Gate Bridge. Walking is the length is fun, driving it is an experience too.
  • Pier 39 is a great tourist attraction. Many things to see and do.
  • Alcatraz is very cool. Try to get a night tour if you can! And order tickets ahead of time. They sellout all the time, and it's hard to just drop in on a tour.
  • Haight-Ashbury. The district isn't quite the hippy Mecca it once was, but it's still fascinating. There are many cool places to eat and shop there. Watch out for the random potheads/homeless on the street. They're friendly, just a little too obnoxious sometimes.
  • Shopping (or just window shopping) on Market Street, Union Square, and/or Ghiradelli Square.
  • I don't know if you're a baseball fan, but going to a Giants game is always great. The stadium is amazing.
  • The Academy of Sciences.
  • SFMOMA.
These are just the things off the top of my head. If I think of more I'll let you know. If you think of something specific you want to see/hear/do/eat, let me know.

There is Hearst Castle in Sam Simeon, which is a neat look, but also a good-size detour off Highway 1.

If you like seafood, there is a good restaurant in Moss Landing (in the center of Monterey Bay, halfway between Monterey and Santa Cruz), called Phil's Fish Market. I was there a couple of weeks ago for the first time in 8 years. It's still the same fine quality, and I was lucky that I got there right before it got crowded (around 4pm) for dinner. Seems there was an episode of Bobby Flay's Throwdown over the cioppino that garnered a lot of attention.

I also went to college in San Luis Obispo and currently live in Marin County (other end of the Golden Gate Bridge). I'm not a great tour guide, as locals rarely do the tourist stuff.

If you like seafood, there is a good restaurant in Moss Landing (in the center of Monterey Bay, halfway between Monterey and Santa Cruz), called Phil's Fish Market. I was there a couple of weeks ago for the first time in 8 years. It's still the same fine quality, and I was lucky that I got there right before it got crowded (around 4pm) for dinner. Seems there was an episode of Bobby Flay's Throwdown over the cioppino that garnered a lot of attention.
I've been to Phil's, it's pretty damn good. I second that recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.