Brush With Fame?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm only gonna list people that I've had dinner with, otherwise this would be rather long...

Frank Cho, who's first words he spoke were "My dog eats shit."
Dave Prowse (Darth Vader)
Kenny Baker (R2-D2)
Mike Edmonds (Logray the Ewok and other parts)
Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca)
Jay Novacek (ex Cowboys Tight End, great guy)
Jeremy Bulloch (the real Boba Fett)
numerous comic writers and artists

And I'm sure that as I hit submit on this post I'll think of somebody else.

Oh yes, and I have an autographed Darth Maul picture from Ray Park saying "Feel the Force". He's such a little guy, teeheehee.

I haven't met a ton, but let's see...

-Disturbed (with Jason Moyer instead of Fuzz) at a concert
-Puerto Rican hitter for the A's, back in the mid-90's (can't remember the name for the life of me), at Disneyland
-Got to talk with the drummer from Firewind for a while, and met the lead singer for Dark Tranquillity when they came to San Francisco last year (both awesome guys, especially the singer. Really sweet, nice guy)

Not me in particular, but my friend's dad went to high school with Cliff Burton (bassist from Metallica) and still has one of the guitars Burton gave to him.

Cajungal

Staff member
I shook hands with Jim Gaffigan after a show.

I was 7 feet away from Eddie Izzard after a show. :redface: <--See.... this is the proper use of that face, NOT embarrassment.

I tripped onto Ron Carter at the Birdland club in New York. That was awesome, although embarrassing. He totally caught me. ^_^

North_Ranger

Staff member
None of world fame, but a few national celebs:
- In my summer job as a telemarketer, I once called the somewhat famous MP Ben Zyskowicz. He did not answer.
- In the Turku Medieval Market I've ran into a few celebs: I saw President Tarja Halonen be called a witch (because of her red hair); in character I laughed at Michael Monroe ("Hey, look at that rooster!"). Also, I once noticed Veijo Hietala, the Finnish academic version of Roger Ebert, there. He was a genuinely nice guy, although I talked to him in-character as a Franciscan friar.
- Met John Kovalic of Dork Tower fame at Ropecon '06.
- The next Ropecon, I met the creators of Star Wreck: Samuli Torssonen, Atte Joutsen and Timo Vuorensola.

Bellygrub said:
Lou Ferigno
Ron Perlman
Doug Jones
Selma Blair
Bruce Campbell
Adam West
Chazwozel said:
Ben Stein
B. Obama

All of the Rolling Stones

OH! And I hit on Britney Spears once in Maui. No dice though, she was with K-fed at the time.
I'm like seriously humbled by you two. Oh and I would have bagged Britney, at least enough to take some pictures and make a few mil.
Cajungal said:
I shook hands with Jim Gaffigan after a show.
I'd love to go see him, he's on my top stand-up list right behind Margaret Cho.

Cajungal

Staff member
He's reeeeally funny live. The lady in front of me kept giving me dirty looks because I laughed at full volume the entire time. What does she want? It's a comedy show!

I lived in Vancouver for a while, and my mom's boyfriend (Fraser) was a prop builder on movie sets, so i've met a couple of big names.

-I met Kevin Costner when Fraser was working on this pile of crap. incidentally, Fraser was, IIRC, the carpenter responsible for the "elevator scene", which was pretty cool.

-on other occasions (i can't remember the movies for these ones) i met Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger. Stallone was kind of a dick.

-i came into contact with David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson a couple of times.

-my dad tried to bum smokes off of Jean-Claude Vandamme in Stanley Park once. he doesn't smoke.

i feel like i've made this post before. the topic might've come up in vent one time.

S

Singularity.EXE

Tom Brokaw (dick)
John Elway (dick)
Shannon Sharpe (dick)
Ed Norton (in a Starbucks coffee shop in Cheyenne, Wyoming. He was tired as hell, intense filming schedule or something)

I've met these people at conventions:

John Rhys-Davies

Sean Astin

David Prowse (Signed my Darth Vader card I was using in my deck in the World Championship tournament.)

Ray Park

Kenny Baker

Jeremy Bulloch

Daniel Logan (Young Boba. Kid seemed kind of a punk.)

Michonne Bourriague, who played Aurra Sing

It was funny watching her and Kenny Baker walking around together.

Amy Allen, who played Aayla Secura

She said I had pretty eyes! :D

And finally, this tubby bitch:

Cajungal

Staff member
My mom and some of the ladies in her Mardi Gras Krewe got to ask if Scarlett Johannsen would ride in one of our parades a couple of years back. She was recording an album here in LA for some reason. I know that Chef John Folse has some of the best recording equipment in the South... maybe she went there. I dunno. At any rate, they spoke with her. I didn't, but I thought it was worth mentioning, if only to make Calleja put his fist in his mouth. :p

G

Greendog

I've met a few random British celebs, though none you'd know.

Main one of note that I still get slightly giddy about was Robert Downey Junior. He was getting a coffee in Starbucks in Manchester while they were filming scenes for that new Sherlock Holmes film. Managed to get his autograph and shake his hand, all the while geeking out and telling him how much Iron Man rocked :heart:

Dude that played C-3PO
Bret Hart (Really nice guy)
Owen Hart (Even nicer than Bret)
Christopher Titus (like 2 weeks ago at his comedy show, he's fucking awesome nice)
Bam Margera (who was swarmed by children)
Seth Rogen (who my girlfriend at the time had a massive crush on.)

And that's about it.

My dad was in a diner when John Claude Van Damme and the Hispanic dude in Machete were there.

His only comment was "they're really fucking short."

I once met Garrison Keillor at a restraunt my ex worked at. He was a total prick. As he was waiting to pay his tab, I told him that really enjoyed his work and grew up listening to his stuff and he just frowned at me, grunted and walked away with his nose so far in the air, I think it took out a passing sparrow.

C

Chazwozel

Shegokigo said:
Bellygrub said:
Lou Ferigno
Ron Perlman
Doug Jones
Selma Blair
Bruce Campbell
Adam West
Chazwozel said:
Ben Stein
B. Obama

All of the Rolling Stones

OH! And I hit on Britney Spears once in Maui. No dice though, she was with K-fed at the time.
I'm like seriously humbled by you two. Oh and I would have bagged Britney, at least enough to take some pictures and make a few mil.

It was a pretty surreal experience. I was in Maui with a bunch of people (girlfriend aka future wife included) and she was just there at Kaanapali beach. I went up to her and asked if she was really Britney an impersonator, or just a sexy looking devil. I got to bullshitting around a bit with her, meanwhile some of my friends started walking up too. Then her fucking bodyguard butted in (he was with K-fed down a bit further) after I asked her if she wanted to go out later for drinks. K-fed gave me some glares too. When they showed up game was over and she went into goodbye mode.

Since I live in a college town, and have worked in hotels where visiting teams tend to stay, I have met a few of the coaches. Fame is relative, so they may not be as notable to some of you lot.

Don Nehlen (former WVU football coach)
Rich Rodriguez (the less said about him the better :facepalm: )
Gale Catlett (former WVU basketball coach)
Fred Schaus (former WVU and L.A. Lakers coach)
Jim Calhoun (UConn men's basketball coach)
Mike Jarvis (former George Washington U. and St. John's U. basketball coach)

While I was at Walter Reed Army Medical center, a lot of famous people stopped by to visit the Wounded Warriors.

I met: John Kerry, I was given a Senate coin by Joe Lieberman, I met Mick Foley, Weird Al, The Colts after they beat the Bears in the Superbowl (Peyton Manning was a tool and didn't remove his sunglasses the whole time). The New York Yankees, I also shook the hand of General Colin Powell.

D

Dunny

Let's see...

Seen in local supermarkets
Steven Tyler
Joe Perry
Jeff Corwin

Seen around
Steve Carell and his wife
Chris Cooper
Bobby Farrelly (of the Farrelly brothers)
Gary DiSarcina
Matt Light

And, of course...
David Ortiz
Tom Brady
Jonathan Papelbon
Doug Flutie

Han-Sagan

Staff member
Tracy Ulman in LA
John Rhys Davies at a convention
Jeremy Bulloch at a convention
Colin Baker at a convention
Lucy Lawless before she was famous
And the Dalai Lama

M

Mr_Chaz

I've met Charles Kennedy, ex leader of the Liberal Democrats, had a nice chat. He was having a coffee at the time, it may or may not have been Irish.

And my parents once sat next to the Boomtown Rats on a plane, except for Bob. He was in first class.

G

Greendog

Kovac said:
I met Jewel Staite when I was at an after convention party.
I think I would've burst into flames or something at that point :smug:

lets see...

tom baker, dominic monaghan and geoff hurst at a london con.

also met a bunch of webcomics people at a small webcomics thing, he weebl and bob guys, meredith gran and chris hastings.

also tony blair at my old schools opening.

I interviewed several famous people (in a national or local scale), but there's a few that are well known internationally. I also met, without actually interviewing them, a few cool guys.

·The dude that made the make up effets for Pan's Labyrinth (and the Hellboy Movies). I believe his name is David Martí?

(I also spoke with the girl when I called to their office)
·The novelist Noah Gordon

·The Cartoonist Joe Sacco

·The Cartoonist Jimmy Palmiotti

·The cartoonist Milo Manara

·The Cartoonist Moebius

·The Stop Motion master Ray Harryhausen

·The singer (and actress?) Jennifer Lopez

·"The best chef in the world", Ferran Adrià

And that's all I can think about right now.

Greendog said:
Kovac said:
I met Jewel Staite when I was at an after convention party.
I think I would've burst into flames or something at that point :smug:
I was kinda drunk at the time which may have helped in preventing my head from exploding.

M

Mr_Chaz

twitchmoss said:
also met a bunch of webcomics people at a small webcomics thing, he weebl and bob guys, meredith gran and chris hastings.
UK Web and Mini Comix Thing (or whatever it's called) by any chance?

Chazwozel said:
Frankie said:
Dude that played C-3PO

Bam Margera (who was swarmed by children)

Ugh, why can't this idiot just go away?
I dunno. I don't know why parents would want an alcoholic pill junkie skater near their kids either, but, I'm not the parent of them.

R

rvdleun

Had dinner once with a group who included some famous dutch actor who played in various movies and a pretty famous Soap Opera on TV. However, I really do not follow the Dutch film industry at all, nor do I really watch television, so I really had no idea who the guy was or what he had done. So when I asked him if he was doing anything interesting lately, he somewhat chuckled aboot it.

Status
Not open for further replies.