Brian Eno's Discreet Music

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh wow! A music thread by me that's not about Beatles!! (don't get used to it :p)

This is an old album I sort of stole/inherited from my dad. I've always loved Brian Eno, but this album in particular is a concept that is so awesome I'm surprised it's not more popular.

In the early 70's Brian Eno, a musical genius if you ask me, had an accident that even though didn't hurt him too bad, left him in a bed-ridden stiff position. A friend lent him a record of 18th century harp music to lsiten while he was in bed. I'll quote from the CD's liner notes directly:

After she had gone, and with some considerable difficulty, I put on the record. Having laid down, I realized that the amplifier was set at an extremely low level, and that one channel of the stereo had failed completely. Since I hadn't the energy to get up and improve matters, the record played almost inaudibly. This presented what was for me a new way of hearing music--as part of the ambience of the environment just as the colour of the light and the sound of the rain were parts of that ambience. It is for this reason that I suggest listening to the piece ((The Discreet Music album)) at comparatively low levels, even to the extent that it frequently falls below the treshold of audibility
No one had ever suggested you listen to his album at a low level as part of the background sound before, which is why Eno is credited as "the father of ambient music".

Now.. to add the awesomeness... the way Eno went about recording this record is also ground breaking... he set up a semi-autonomous tape looping with a synthesizer, an equalizer, an echo unit and looped it with a delay of sorts. I wish I understood the music theory better, but I find his approach to be mind-blowingly awesome. He says himself in the intro to the liner notes:

Since I have always preferred making plans to executing them, I have gravitated towards situations and systems that, once set into operation, could create music with little or no intervention on my part.

That is to say, I tend towards the roles of planner and programmer, and then become an audience to the results.
The result is, indeed, awesome.

The liner notes come with a diagram of the system he set up, but my scanner is on the fritz so I can't scan the complete version I have before me and Google Image Search only managed to find pretty much half of it, but it's the interesting part, check it out:

The line to the left connects in the complete version to three boxes in a straight line, it starts with a "Synthesizer with digital recall system", moves on to a "graphic equalizer", then to a "echo unit" and then merges to the line you see in the image.

I just had to share the awesomeness. Last.fm has spurred me into ripping my CDs again and when I got to this one I recalled how it had blown my mind when I discovered it when I was 19. Pre-Beatles fandom, even.

Any other Brian Eno fans out there? Get the album "Discreet Music". Seriously.

T

TwoBit

While I haven't listened to much Brian Eno, I do really enjoy the album he did with David Byrne, "My Life in the Bush Of Ghosts."

Allen said:
well, it's not much of a conversation starter. you presented information to be read and issued an edict.
Right, choose NOW to suddenly be true to your handle.

I asked if there were any Eno fans out there!

Status
Not open for further replies.