Blip Tv Closing

What the title says.

This is going to nail a good many websites hard, including all of Channel Awesome (which has DOZENS of people with large archives of content there), Chez Apocalpyse, and a few others. Many couldn't succeed on Youtube because it's copy-write protect system would flag legit videos simple for having a few seconds of content or music.

A good example of this is SFDebris and his Star Trek Reviews: despite being reviews of the episodes in question (and thus covered under fair use), NBC Universal would constantly flag all of his work, even older work they had tried and failed to take down before. He moved to Blip because their systems weren't as draconian and actually understood what Fair Use was. Now he's basically out of work unless he can get Youtube to take notice like they did with LittleKuriboh and his Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series. Lots of others will probably be in the same boat.

I'd just like to point out the irony of Disney closing down the only place where people could post reviews of their content without fear of being taken down.

I'd just like to point out the irony of Disney closing down the only place where people could post reviews of their content without fear of being taken down.
I really can't blame them ether... Blip has never been a money making venture, it got by on street cred alone. The only reason anyone used it for reviews was BECAUSE they stuff wouldn't come down. Now people are going to have to switch to Dailymotion (which gives NO FUCKS about what you post) or fight a losing battle with Youtube.

The only thing I really watch on Blip TV is SFDebris and I really enjoy watching them. I really hope he can find a place to host his videos :(

here is SFDebris talking about the closure of Blip TV

Reactions: Amy
Dang I haven't watched any of the Review people in a long time (CA, Spoony, etc) but yeah losing Blip is going to hurt almost all of them without finding a viable alternative. I feel like some of them probably moved on to a regular job, though, save for the few who managed to make it work on YouTube like Angry Joe or Spoony (though I think he just does a shitload of streaming now).

Dang I haven't watched any of the Review people in a long time (CA, Spoony, etc) but yeah losing Blip is going to hurt almost all of them without finding a viable alternative. I feel like some of them probably moved on to a regular job, though, save for the few who managed to make it work on YouTube like Angry Joe or Spoony (though I think he just does a shitload of streaming now).
Spoony does the big videos still. It's just that he has to go through and get all of his footage himself, so it can take a hundred or more hours of gameplay to get everything he needs. He and April also moved again (for her job I think) so that was an issue too. In the mean time, he's been putting out more Counter Monkeys and streaming, while he's been editing footage to get the videos done. 13-2 and 13-3 are SUPPOSED to be out around the same time, but he's been doing a lot of crossover stuff to lately...

As for the ones who've made it to Youtube... Angry Joe and Bennet the Sage are doing well, as is Spoony. LordKat still puts stuff out but he mainly streams too. Nostalgia Chick (or whatever she's calling herself) has kind of fallen off the radar, partly because she and Todd parted ways with Channel Awesome and partly because she actually does stuff for TV (behind the scenes) now. Lupa got dumped over mid-rolls and Patreon (before EVERYONE started doing it) and Phailus (or however it's spelled) went with her. MarzGirl is finally back on Youtube after spending MONTHs getting Farewell, FamiKamen Rider finished in honor of Jew Wario (who is no longer with us). Brad and FilmBrain are still doing stuff I guess. Linkara's working on his movie while still doing his weekly show AND History of the Power Rangers.

There are a bunch of new guys doing stuff, along with some more established guys (like SFDebris) finally getting the credit they deserve. But most of the old crowd are ether gone, nominally independent, or working on big projects.

Lupa and Phaelus are still very much active, but they are mostly on Blip, so I don't know how that's going to go.

Lindsey's still going with some videos, like her comparisons between character portrayals across different media. I imagine she's just too busy with her day job now to do videos on a more regular basis.

Honestly, I can see this being a major hit to Channel Awesome and Doug Walker's production. He's had endless problems with copyright takedowns on YouTube pretty much from day one (even back when he was just on YouTube, without a website). The site's been lowering in quality for years because of many people leaving due to controversial reasons.

Yet I've only been watching his videos on Youtube and he seems to be doing just fine. Some stuff on the Channel Awesome site is just embedded Youtube videos, like Sibling Rivalry. Years ago there were lots of problems, but he's had videos taken down from Blip because of studio issues. Putting the videos on both Youtube and Blip hasn't seen much difference there.

Honestly, I can see this being a major hit to Channel Awesome and Doug Walker's production. He's had endless problems with copyright takedowns on YouTube pretty much from day one (even back when he was just on YouTube, without a website). The site's been lowering in quality for years because of many people leaving due to controversial reasons.
It's not even an issue of controversy in some cases.

- Lindsay Ellis just wanted to sever herself from the brand because she'd always been conflicted about essentially being a distaff to Doug, even if they were nothing alike content wise.
- Spoony got dumped for flagrantly going against the bosses at the company. Even he didn't argue that it was the right move on their part. No one knew he was bipolar back then, even him. He's back doing crossovers now.
- LordKat left because he hated editing videos. He's only recently restarted doing Until We Win on Youtube after his Patreon hit a certain level.
- JewWario left because he wanted to do more than game stuff and they weren't supporting that at the time. This part of the reason he became so depressed apparently; he kept trying out new stuff and nothing was getting good views. That and the troubled production history with FamiKamen Rider were huge burdens on him emotionally.
- MarzGirl's PC died and she couldn't afford a new one for months, even with help from friends. Then the stuff with J-Dub happened and she had her own bout of depression, followed by months of getting his movie done without him.

But yes... Doug is ether going to need to take Youtube to court (which he COULD conceivably afford with the income from the site) or dial back his content. Alternatively, he could push for Channel Awesome to become a major managed brand on Youtube like Game Grumps (and friends) or Rocket Jump have become. He certainly has the clout and content to make it happen at this point... or at least the means to get someone to do it on his behalf.

Lupa and Phaelus are still very much active, but they are mostly on Blip, so I don't know how that's going to go.
Yeah the two of them, along with I think Oancitizen and Andrew Dickman, are on Phelous' personal site. I did check in there a month or so ago out of curiosity, as I always liked Phelous/Lupa/Oan, and it seems like they're all still pumping out content pretty regularly. Like Bowie said, though, they all upload to Blip.

Yeah the two of them, along with I think Oancitizen and Andrew Dickman, are on Phelous' personal site. I did check in there a month or so ago out of curiosity, as I always liked Phelous/Lupa/Oan, and it seems like they're all still pumping out content pretty regularly. Like Bowie said, though, they all upload to Blip.
This is sort of what happened with Chez Apocalpyse; the people who worked together kind of left together.

I wonder what other hosting sites will let them pull in cash with ads and such, I know someone said Dailymotion and I guess there's others like Vimeo (don't know if that one monetizes though).

It's not even an issue of controversy in some cases.

- Lindsay Ellis just wanted to sever herself from the brand because she'd always been conflicted about essentially being a distaff to Doug, even if they were nothing alike content wise.
- Spoony got dumped for flagrantly going against the bosses at the company. Even he didn't argue that it was the right move on their part. No one knew he was bipolar back then, even him. He's back doing crossovers now.
- LordKat left because he hated editing videos. He's only recently restarted doing Until We Win on Youtube after his Patreon hit a certain level.
- JewWario left because he wanted to do more than game stuff and they weren't supporting that at the time. This part of the reason he became so depressed apparently; he kept trying out new stuff and nothing was getting good views. That and the troubled production history with FamiKamen Rider were huge burdens on him emotionally.
- MarzGirl's PC died and she couldn't afford a new one for months, even with help from friends. Then the stuff with J-Dub happened and she had her own bout of depression, followed by months of getting his movie done without him.

But yes... Doug is ether going to need to take Youtube to court (which he COULD conceivably afford with the income from the site) or dial back his content. Alternatively, he could push for Channel Awesome to become a major managed brand on Youtube like Game Grumps (and friends) or Rocket Jump have become. He certainly has the clout and content to make it happen at this point... or at least the means to get someone to do it on his behalf.
I wasn't really referring to them with the controversy. It was more Lupa and...shoot, the girl that did the Digimon video with Doug. I'm blanking on her name. Anyway, they reported some pretty significant sexism from Doug's brother and their business partner. Or at the very least, getting jerked around with a lot of bullshit. Doug seems like he's tried to be oblivious to all this and wants everyone to be happy slappy, but it seems there's some real assholes running that company.

I wonder what other hosting sites will let them pull in cash with ads and such, I know someone said Dailymotion and I guess there's others like Vimeo (don't know if that one monetizes though).
I think most of their funding comes from Patreon nowadays anyway. There are no restrictions about Patreon on youtube.

Ah, didn't think of that. Yeah looking it they're getting 600-700ish per video, so I guess that's pretty good.

Jesus Christ Spoony gets 3500 per month. Okay I don't find myself wondering how they'll get by anymore.

Now people are going to have to switch to Dailymotion (which gives NO FUCKS about what you post) or fight a losing battle with Youtube.
Actually, Dailymotion must have suddenly decided to start cleaning up its act. Over the last 6 months, I've noticed an ENORMOUS amount of content has been removed, and I don't know if it's due to community flagging/complaints, copyright, new TOS stuff causing the channel owners to pull their content, or what.

--Patrick

I wasn't really referring to them with the controversy. It was more Lupa and...shoot, the girl that did the Digimon video with Doug. I'm blanking on her name. Anyway, they reported some pretty significant sexism from Doug's brother and their business partner. Or at the very least, getting jerked around with a lot of bullshit. Doug seems like he's tried to be oblivious to all this and wants everyone to be happy slappy, but it seems there's some real assholes running that company.
Yes, the business side of things has always been run by completely monsters over at Channel Awesome... it's one of the reasons why Doug, NChick, and Todd were the only reviewers to pull a paycheck from the company, despite the thousands of views guys like Spoony pulled in. Even after that million dollar deal they got from Blip, no one except those three were getting paid for the views they brought it because the company's perspective was the Doug was giving THEM views, not the other way around. This used to hit the female reviewers especially hard as they were always the lowest performers, numbers-wise.

They didn't even get paid for the crossover anniversary movies. Their 'pay' was that they got to hang out with their friends for a week and CA paid for the ticket there and back + their hotel room. They didn't even get a cut of the DVDs or the ad revenue from the movie itself. Everyone had to figure out their own revenue streams, which is why everyone made their own commentary tracks for the movies to get ad revenue.

Actually, Dailymotion must have suddenly decided to start cleaning up its act. Over the last 6 months, I've noticed an ENORMOUS amount of content has been removed, and I don't know if it's due to community flagging/complaints, copyright, new TOS stuff causing the channel owners to pull their content, or what.

--Patrick
They're looking to sell if I'm remembering correctly.

They're looking to sell if I'm remembering correctly.
Well if that's the case they're not doing their value any favors. Their previously casual attitude toward the content of their content is one of the reasons they were popular.

--Patrick