[Food] Birthday Sushi

Rule 1 of eating Sushi: Find a good place, and spend all of your sushi dollars there.
Rule 2: Sit at the sushi bar and talk to/get to know your sushi chef
Rule 3: Tip extremely generously.

We've gone to the same sushi bar every time we go for the last 3 years or so. If we haven't shown up in a while, the sushi chefs always comments that they haven't seen us in a while.

Apologize for the dull color. My camera phone could not cope with the orange-ish lighting. Everything was really bright and fresh looking.

Appetizer: Miso soup and "pepper tuna". Lightly seared cracked pepper rubbed tuna, served extremely rare in ponzu. So delicious. Free of charge. The sushi chef always gives us new creations to try. They're always awesome.

First course: Sushi/Sashimi combo. I usually get straight sashimi, but this was on the lunch special, and my wife only likes sashimi (fish, no rice) occasionally. Tuna, salmon, yellowtail, something everyone calls "white tuna" but is really escolar, red snapper, California rolls.

Amuse-bouche between courses: I have no idea what this is. There were two of them, looking like a "sushi sandwich" that was cut in half. I ate mine before I remembered to take a picture. Pressed spicy and sushi style rice with seared filet, sauteed mushrooms, and spicy tuna between the rice 'slices'. Topped with a spicy sauce. Also free of charge, and totally awesome.

We never go into the place with the air of expecting the freebies. We always act super surprised and oooh and ahh over all of the neat creations this guy makes for us. It's not hard..everything he makes is awesome, and it's never on the menu, so it's easy to feel special when he offers something up.

Second course: Cowboy rolls (Spicy crabmeat, avocado topped with seared filet & spicy sauce).

Some tasty cloudy sake to wash it all down.

They had a new guy working with our regular chef today. He was unable to keep his excitement hidden when he saw how much we threw in the tip jar. We always tip the sushi chefs generously, and tip the wait-staff separately (though we don't skimp on them either).

Mmmmm... now I want sushi, but Mr. Z will get home too late! :(

We have a really good sushi place around the corner from us, and they know Mr. Z and I well. We haven't been able to eat there because we haven't found something Li'l Z really likes on their menu yet, and it's not a cheap meal. When we can get up north, one of the restaurants Mr. Z's family owns has a sushi bar, and his uncle likes to surprise us with all kinds of new items. ....and now I'm drooling again. Dammit, Tin!

...oh yeah, happy birthday, too!