Export thread

Bil Keane - Creator of Family Circus has died.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

http://news.yahoo.com/family-circus-creator-bil-keane-dies-89-175700917.html

Wasn't my favorite comic in the newspaper, but still sad.

[Edit: Wasn't sure if this should go in General or Media Madness - so I posted in General, can be moved if more appropriate.]

Gared

Gared

Damn, Tom's been busy this month.

Null

Null

I don't think this will diminish the quality of his work in any measurable way.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I was going to post, in before the sniping starts...

Stay Classy.

makare

We need an "in before the" quota and it should be labeled as met.

fade

fade

Somebody do a comic showing the crazy route the pallbearers take to get to the grave.

strawman

strawman

Somebody do a comic showing the crazy route the pallbearers take to get to the grave.
There's got to be a bunch of kids around the funeral and gravesite saying horribly inappropriate but adorable things.

blotsfan

blotsfan

They're burying daddy because he's the most special treasure of all.

drifter

drifter

"We love to recycle!"

strawman

strawman

"Moooooom! Dad's not playing hide and seek fair!"

One kid whispers to the other at the gravesite, "I put a puppy in there so dad won't be lonely."

fade

fade

(Sorry for the bad photoshopping)

kilkeane.jpg

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm sure if this were any other creator, all of this would be inappropriate.

Except maybe Jim Davis.

strawman

strawman

Added at: 21:53
I'm sure if this were any other creator, all of this would be inappropriate.
Except maybe Jim Davis.
We're gonna have fun with Gary Larson, let me tell you.

Krisken

Krisken

It was so wrong for me to like that. I know that. I just can't help it.

strawman

strawman

It was so wrong for me to like that. I know that. I just can't help it.
Ha! You feel bad about liking it? I feel bad I made it - I just hope it doesn't make its way to any of his close family. If someone close to me had died and I saw similar material - even in homage to the deceased's life work - I don't think I'd take it so well, at least not for awhile. This is disturbing, too, which is one thing that family circus never was, so it's not a good homage anyway.

So, yeah, pre-apologies to anyone that this offends...

Krisken

Krisken

Hey, I didn't know it was a comic. I thought it was just somewhere safe on the paper to put my drink. Isn't that why it was a circle?

fade

fade

I would only feel bad if the family saw it. Otherwise, jokes about death are about as old as jokes.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Wonder who's going to take that spot in the papers now? Seems like the only way for new comics to get in these days is for somebody to die.

Krisken

Krisken

You act like someone isn't still making Family Circus. I bet he hasn't written one in years.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

You act like someone isn't still making Family Circus. I bet he hasn't written one in years.
Charles Shultz was doing Peanuts up until the day of his death. It's entirely possible Bil Keane was doing the same.

Krisken

Krisken

Charles Shultz was doing Peanuts up until the day of his death. It's entirely possible Bil Keane was doing the same.
I hope so. Otherwise there is no excuse for it being 40 years stale.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Honestly, most of those on-going cartoons are only in papers because they appeal to people who still READ papers... basically elderly people who have had these comics in their lives since they were young and really young kids who don't have access to the net/can't watch TV in the early morning. The only other reason I can think of would be iron-clad contracts.

I kinda feel bad for the medium, but this is a long time coming.

strawman

strawman

Bil's son has been drawing it for the last several years: "Jeff Keane has been drawing "Family Circus" in the last few years as his father enjoyed retirement."

http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Cultur...-remembered-as-creator-of-Family-Circus-comic

Overflight

Hey, I wanted to make that joke! :-P