Bikram Yoga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necronic

Staff member
Just tried this on Friday, and thought it was amazing. Has anyone else tried this out? I am a little worried that its dangerous though. For those that don't know its where you do yoga in a room that is 105F for 90 minutes. I was actually not able to do any of the stretches about 2/3 of the way through, I just sat there and tried to stay conscious.

I haven't but there is a studio in town that does it. From what I've heard it's pretty fucking disgusting since it's in a carpeted room. I can only imagine how fucking sick soaked that carpet is with human yuck at the end of a class.

J

jaythen

Co-worker of mine does this once in a while as part of her exercise routine.
The idea sounds crazy to me, but damn, the results look good on her.

Necronic

Staff member
JCM said:
So its Yoga, but in a hot room?
Basically yeah. The stretches are specific for the class (same set of 30 some odd stretches each time), but I am sure many if not all of them come from real yoga. Its not really appropriate to call Bikram yoga real yoga, cause its not founded in Indian Science (from what I understand). I would think of it more like a pilates, where it draws a lot from yoga but changes enough that it really isn't the same

My gf introduced me into yoga, but I do some really basic poses. I really only use it to stretch out before swimming or running.

I've tried a few different types, but a hot room while doing yoga would murder me.

J

JCM

Necronic said:
JCM said:
So its Yoga, but in a hot room?
Basically yeah. The stretches are specific for the class (same set of 30 some odd stretches each time), but I am sure many if not all of them come from real yoga. Its not really appropriate to call Bikram yoga real yoga, cause its not founded in Indian Science (from what I understand). I would think of it more like a pilates, where it draws a lot from yoga but changes enough that it really isn't the same
Not a good idea for me, as I use the DS and "lets Yoga" and "lets Pilates" to plan the day's session, and even a Nintendo wouldnt last in that heat.

Anyway, you are right, its probably another Western "spicying" of traditional Yoga, akin to Power Yoga.

Status
Not open for further replies.