Are final bosses too easy in games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simfers said:
Personally, I don't think anything will ever beat Safer Sephiroth in Final Fantasy VII. Three discs and hours upon hours of build-up and he goes down in a single round without even firing off a single attack. I was underwhelmed, to say the least.
I was always a little sad about Kefka, myself. If you taught even the worst magic-users Ultima, it was like two rounds of that and he was toast.

figmentPez

Staff member
CynicismKills said:
I was always a little sad about Kefka, myself. If you taught even the worst magic-users Ultima, it was like two rounds of that and he was toast.
Or you could equip fire shields, cast merton and heal yourself at the same time you attack.

figmentPez said:
CynicismKills said:
Or you could equip fire shields, cast merton and heal yourself at the same time you attack.
Yeah, or even the Ghost Train, wasn't a final boss but a Fenix Down to the face and he was done.

OH

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. You could kill the final dude with a Cure.

King's Bounty: the Legend, as far as new games go. You have a (mostly optional) quest to face 7 partial clones of the bad guy before taking him down (this doesn't make him any weaker, it's just some cool battles :p). Those are all relatively hard. The actual final battle, though, you can win in 1 round, without the enemy ever even getting off a spell or an attack, on easy or medium. Even on impossible, it's a much, much easier battle than most of what you've encountered before.

Also, vanilla Diablo II and Titan Quest. Both had ridiculously easy end bosses. In up to date patched versions, I think the end bosses are about a dozen times stronger - literally. Heck, the optional end bosses in DII nowadays would kill the original Diablo from DII in one hit.

J

JONJONAUG

CynicismKills said:
Simfers said:
Personally, I don't think anything will ever beat Safer Sephiroth in Final Fantasy VII. Three discs and hours upon hours of build-up and he goes down in a single round without even firing off a single attack. I was underwhelmed, to say the least.
I went into that fight with both the Doublecast relic and the "all spells for 1 MP" relic, so every round was "Quick-Ultima-Ultima-Ultima-Ultima". Kefka didn't last very long.

Anyway, I've found that while the Shin Megami Tensei franchise tends to be very difficult in general, the final boss fights are usually pretty easy. Katsuguchi in Nocturne was incredibly easy, Lucifer in the same game was easy although long (what with having the max possible HP and everything), DDS2's final boss was so easy as to be an anti-climax after everything you've gone through over the course of the two games, and Persona 3 gives you an easy way to get to level 90 and above in under 20 minutes while the final boss is vulnerable to the 9999 damage attack you can get at level 88 (while the boss only has 4500 or so HP in its final form). In SMT2 the final boss (YHVH) was significantly easier than the boss before him (Satan, who's fight mostly consisted of "Satan pointed at (name)! (Name) has died!").

Devil Survivor had a somewhat harder time than usual though, considering that you [spoiler:21yq2woa]fight what appears to be the final boss, then you fight all the Bel demons again in order, then you fight the true final boss. All of this happens without any recovery in between, so the fight becomes "hope you brought Divine demons with you for MP recovery"[/spoiler:21yq2woa]

Perhaps, but Persona 3's boss could confuse you in it's final form. It did this to me and one of my team restored it's HP to full, just as I ran out of Soma. I was not pleased.

JCM said:
And it reminded me of the disappointing ping-pong at the end of Twilight Princess.
What did you find disappointing about it? Quite a few of the Zelda games have ping-pong of some form in the last boss, or some late enemies.

I was pretty disappointed by the end of Bioshock; after the atmosphere of the game I thought a generic superpowered crazed maniac-type boss was a bit... well, generic.

JCM said:
Bethesda seems to have a bad time trying to make great boss fights. Fallout 3, Morrowind, but the worst? Oblivion´s Lord Dagon.

Hey, the main baddie redeems himself, turns into a huge dragon and fights another gigantic monster, while you just watch like an NPC as the villain destorys the main baddie and saves the day.

Only worst RPG endboss was Planetscape:Torment, where you make the boss surrender by choosing the right conversation from the dialogue tree.

:facepalm:
Was Oblivion a different game in Brazil? Sean Bean's character Martin wasn't the main villain at all.

Also, Planescape: Torment's ending could have gone a dozen different ways depending on who you bring and what you say. Another reason Torment is one of the best games of all time.

I think a decent end boss is one that happens in stages. Kinda like a Dr. Wiley boss fight where you have to defeat him 3+ times, with a different strategy on each, til you get him out of his robot.

...then sometimes he turns into an FUCK-A-YOU alien that requires the Bubble Lead to beat. God help you if you didn't save your Bubble Lead.

These kids who are spoiled with easy games and bosses need a dosage of Ninja Gaiden.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jluv2HxFEqs:1ouij0wh][/youtube:1ouij0wh]

I get the feeling that some easy bosses are just due to bad game design.

That being said, there is such a thing as -too hard-.

P

Pojodan

Wrost end boss ever?

Super Mario Brothers.

One jump. ONE JUMP! And you win.

What a robbery.

Yes, she was but at least it required some level of talent and the fight was more difficult depending on the build you created for your character, on a custom impossible mode she was quite the challenge. :)

A

Aisaku

JONJONAUG said:
[
Devil Survivor had a somewhat harder time than usual though, considering that you [spoiler:1wgy9qgf]fight what appears to be the final boss, then you fight all the Bel demons again in order, then you fight the true final boss. All of this happens without any recovery in between, so the fight becomes "hope you brought Divine demons with you for MP recovery"[/spoiler:1wgy9qgf]
From what I've experienced with Devil Survivor, that game expects you to fail the first few times until you figure out the right strategy to beat a boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.