Export thread

April Fools on the Internet

blotsfan

blotsfan

I know its still March, but google already put its april fools joke up. I think its really funny.

http://maps.google.com/?t=8

And I'm trying to find all the landmarks they made a special symbol for. For now I have:
Buckingham Palace/Big Ben
Pyramids/Sphynx
Berlin TV Tower
Empire State/Chrysler Buildings
Google headquarters
Shanghai Pearl Building
Gateway Arch
Easter Island Head
Chichen Itza
Biosphere/Habitat 67, Montreal
Nazca Lines
Space Needle
Eames House
The Kremlin/St Basils Cathedral
The Parthenon
Ocean Park, Hong Kong
Taj Mahal
Skytree, Tokyo
Mt Fuji
Mt Everest
Hollywood Sign
CN tower
The Collesium
Ayers Rock
Ireland Parliament
Sydney Opera House
Eifel Tower/Louvre/Arc de Triumph
Table Mountain, South Africa
White House/Washington Monument/Martin Luther King Memorial

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Wow Google. You are too awesome.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Tomorrow's gonna be hijinkerrific! :awesome:

fade

fade

Ah, April Fool's. The day when a bunch of spoil sports get their panties in a bunch when websites they're reading for free make minor jokes.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Oh man, it even goes to street view! My town all pixelated is awesome! :D

ElJuski

ElJuski

Kind of impressed the Lithuanian Embassy and "Madam's Organ" pop up as high up as they do. This is actually pretty neat!

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Sagrada Familia at Barcelona!

Bowielee

Bowielee

Can we keep this? I kinda like it.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I saw the 8bit google maps earlier, but didn't even realize it had special icons for certain landmarks. That makes it so much cooler

BErt

Area 51
is fantastic!

Late spoiler edit because I'm an idiot and should have done it earlier. Oops.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Also,
Mount Rushmore
Alcatraz
The Embaracadero
Statue of Liberty
Area 51 (zoom in to 2000 ft/500 m)
Loch Ness (you have to look around a bit, but it's there)

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

damn, BErt beat me to it.

BUT!
There is one at Roswell, New Mexico too.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Okay, I looked up Lapland, too see if they had a Santa's Workshop in Lapland, Finland. It took me to Lapland, Indiana instead. And I found something not too far from there that I don't know what it is. Look up Morristown, Indiana and it'll bring you closer.

BErt

I can't upload pics right now to clarify, but has anyone else found
the two kids(?) in propeller beanies? [/spoilers]

Any idea what that's about?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I can't upload pics right now to clarify, but has anyone else found
the two kids(?) in propeller beanies? [/spoilers]

Any idea what that's about?
They're EVERYWHERE! My friend says they mark Google Locations?

BErt

Ah....could be. That makes more sense if you look at them closer.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Late spoiler edit because I'm an idiot and should have done it earlier. Oops.
The only reason I'm spoilering any of this is cause blotsfan did.

fade

fade

Found the
Statue of Liberty
Empire State Building
Chrysler Building

And did you try street view?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

What the heck is this?
TheHellIsThat.JPG

BErt

Yeah it didn't even occur to me at first, but I can see someone getting upset if they wanted to search on their own. I'll hide anything else I find.

Everything about this map is fantastic. Even the little things, like how Square Enix has the shared Copywrite.

fade

fade

Surprised the transamerica pyramid got no love

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I found a few more:

Tokyo Tower
Grand Hyaft, Tokyo (I don't even know what this is, but its near the Tokyo Tower so I found it)
Hamamatsucho, Tokyo(See above)

Surprised the transamerica pyramid got no love
There's a few I thought would get one that didn't
Stone Henge, Machu Pichu, the Golden Gate Bridge, the West Edmonton Mall, Canadian Parliament Buildings, Easter Island...

BErt

looks like major zoos get a panda sprite. San Diego has one, and DC also...I'm sure there are more.

EDIT: another one that makes no sense like Morristown is Otisville, MI ( you may have to zoom out)

I think they threw those in there just for the hell of it.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I was looking along the west coast states and provinces to see if there was a bigfoot. I didn't find one, but I found these:
TheHellIsThat2.JPG
TheHellIsThat3.JPG
???

BErt

I showed those to my friend who knows more about old RPGs than I do and he said they're old Dragon Quest sprites. Which makes sense since Square Enix has a Copywrite on the map.

As for why they're there I still can't figure it out...maybe they're just random encounters?

figmentPez

figmentPez

Terrik

Terrik

Damn, I forgot that was today.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Haha sorry for the spoiler confusion. I was afraid the list would get too long and be obnoxious.

General Specific

General Specific

Sequential Art's page: http://www.collectedcurios.com/

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

figmentPez

figmentPez

ThinkGeek's new products are up:
Inflatable Star Trek Captain's Chair (real!)
Minecraft Marshmallow Creeps
Star Wars Admiral Ackbar Singing Bass
Technomancer Digital Wizard Hoodie
Electronic Hungy Hungry Hippos for iPad
Game of Thrones Fire and Blood Perfume
Barbie Digital Fashion Styling Head for iPad
Skyrim Electronic Dragon Shout Hoodie

General Specific

General Specific

Holy shit, I want the singing Admiral Ackbar bass

Frank

Frank

Apparently Skrillex just died. Yeah, ok.

blotsfan

blotsfan

xkcd's is great.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

Foxtrot is awesome today :)

http://www.foxtrot.com/

Bowielee

Bowielee

So, wouldn't it suck to die on April fools day? No one would actually believe that you're dead.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Well, Blizzard has their stuff up... I'm a little underwhelmed.

Though, props for the Pee-wee reference here: http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/games/supplydepot/

Just Me

Just Me

Holy shit, I want the singing Admiral Ackbar bass
Heck, why not? Isn't that how the Tauntaun sleeping bag came to be, first a joke and then demand made it real?

evilmike

evilmike

That would explain this...

So, wouldn't it suck to die on April fools day? No one would actually believe that you're dead.
And, you know... the whole "being dead" thing.

Also, The latest Gmail upgrade:

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Adblock add-on is showing pictures of cats instead of just blank space today. Just noticed that the usual little stop sign at the top of my browser has a cat paw in it now.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I had that thought--wouldn't it be terrible if HBO's premiering it today was only a joke and they were really waiting for next week. Like that one time with South Park...

SeraRelm

¡ʇı pıp suosdɯıs

fade

fade

http://imgur.com/a/7HOEu#0

A woman adds a bunch of text replacements to husband's iPhone.

fade

fade

Takei's FB joke was funny.
Friends, I'm thrilled to share this news with you today. As announced at Emerald City Comicon, where I'm appearing this weekend, Paramount Pictures has green-lit a new Star Trek Movie entitled "Excelsior" in which I will play the captain. This announcement is part of Paramount Studio's 100th-year anniversary campaign. The studio has acknowledged the fan enthusiasm for this concept ever since I appeared in command of the vessel in "The Undiscovered Country." J.J. Abrams will direct, with Robert Orci again writing the screenplay.

My co-star in Allegiance, Paulo Montalban, has been cast opposite me to play the mercurial "Agha," the grandson of Khan (played by Ricardo Montalban in the Second Star Trek Movie). Also featured are Gilbert Gottfried (playing a wily Ferengi First Officer) and Lisa Lampanelli (as a Bajoran security officer).

More to come on this breaking story soon. Thanks again for the years of support, and I'll see you on the Bridge of "Excelsior."

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'm not gonna lie. I would watch the hell out of that.

SeraRelm

˙ʇɐɥʇ ɥɔʇɐʍ ʎllɐʇoʇ plnoʍ I

General Specific

General Specific

Piotyr

Piotyr

Well, Blizzard has their stuff up... I'm a little underwhelmed.

Though, props for the Pee-wee reference here: http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/games/supplydepot/
Zergling teaches typing is pretty amusing.

figmentPez

figmentPez

xkcd's is great.
I don't think I would have gotten that one if you hadn't pointed it out to me. Well played xkcd.

fade

fade

Wow are the non AFD ones this bad? I want 12.5 minutes of my life back.

Piotyr

Piotyr

For when advanced search just isn't quite advanced enough...Google's Really Advanced Search.

David

David

Homestarrunner updated for april fools!
http://homestarrunner.com/

figmentPez

figmentPez

Cosplayer Yaya Han started a Facebook fan page... for her boobs.

Mathias

Mathias

They do the same thing every year. Homestar's lame.

Mathias

Mathias

HAHA! Blizzard is too funny. They're WoW mainpage has an ad for Diablo 3 to come out this May. HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA! APRIL FOOLS!

Frank

Frank

We got nature April fooled. It snowed 4 inches of wet, icy sludge.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Has it? or was that an april fools joke?

Bowielee

Bowielee

Was that LL Cool J at the end there?

LittleSin

LittleSin

We got nature April fooled. It snowed 4 inches of wet, icy sludge.
Same here...except we got 30 inches of snow after it being 10 degrees the day before.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I hate you so so much.

Frank

Frank

Same here...except we got 30 inches of snow after it being 10 degrees the day before.
Well, uh, that's impossible. 30 cm?

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

ok, it was.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Well, uh, that's impossible. 30 cm?
Woop!

Yes...3ocm.

David

David

:trolol:

figmentPez

figmentPez

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I'm actually sad this morning, all my kitties are gone. I kinda liked the ad-block with kitties.

Dave

Dave

I'm actually sad this morning, all my kitties are gone. I kinda liked the ad-block with kitties.
Apparently if the author gets $$ they'll let you have catblock for good.

evilmike

evilmike

April Fools, 2013 edition

Play-Doh 3D Printer

Adventure Time BMO Interactive Buddy

Alien Chestburster in a Can

Death Star Trech Toss

Bane-inspired Walkie Talkies
Eye of

Sauron Desk Lamp

Creeper Body Pillow

Shakey

Shakey

I want that desk lamp!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I want the trench toss...

blotsfan

blotsfan

I always get the impression that thinkgeek uses April fools to show the products they made but are unsure about, and then release the ones people like.

Covar

Covar

Google Maps has gone old timey.

TommiR

TommiR

My nation, one that I've spent more than several years in carefully husbanding from a minuscule and insignificant piece of dirt into one of the largest countries in the region, is on the brink of destruction as it seems destined to fall to the world-wide zombie apocalypse which began earlier today. Attempts to find a cure for the virus have so far proven inadequate, and the situation remains catastrophic as the number of survivors is a mere 2.60% out of the pre-apocalypse population. The current numbers are disheartening:

Survivors: 210,072,767
Zombies: 5,425,109,948
Dead: 2,442,296,664

And to think that, just a couple of weeks ago, I celebrated my nation breaking the 8 billion people barrier... This shit had better be an April Fools thing.

Dave

Dave

Google Maps has gone old timey.
Street view is a hoot!

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Street view is a hoot!
Reminds you of your childhood? ;)

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Reminds you of your childhood? ;)
Childhood wasn't yet invented. Dave was born fully grown.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

YouTube is finally ending their 8-year Best Video contest!

Dei

Dei

My son wants the creeper body pillow really bad lol.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

My son wants the creeper body pillow really bad lol.
Yep, my oldest said the same thing.

Covar

Covar

YouTube is finally ending their 8-year Best Video contest!

They're streaming the nominee announcements :rofl:

Gryfter

Gryfter

April Fools, 2013 edition

Play-Doh 3D Printer

Adventure Time BMO Interactive Buddy

Alien Chestburster in a Can

Death Star Trech Toss

Bane-inspired Walkie Talkies
Eye of

Sauron Desk Lamp

Creeper Body Pillow

How did you miss....

The Batman family car decal kit

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f483/

fade

fade

The number of people that fell for redbox's FB prank is astounding. The posted that the machines would now also sell sandwiches. The had nice artwork to go with it, but come on.

Dave

Dave

People who fall for April fool's jokes on that kind of a scale are just....stupid.

But what's amusing is when the sites stay up and people see them on like April 4 so they believe it.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Was tempted to post this in the GoT thread for shits and giggles, but adding it here to keep 4/1 stuff in one place.

Warwick Davis to replace Peter Dinklage in GoT next season.

figmentPez

figmentPez

People who fall for April fool's jokes on that kind of a scale are just....stupid.
But Scope's new bacon flavored mouthwash is real, right?

Just Me

Just Me

Covar

Covar

Was tempted to post this in the GoT thread for shits and giggles, but adding it here to keep 4/1 stuff in one place.

Warwick Davis to replace Peter Dinklage in GoT next season.
It finally hit me last week while taking an indefinite break from writing The Winds of Winter to catch up on some of my favorite movies
:rofl:

Eriol

Eriol

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Street view is a hoot!
It looks really good with my 150 year old downtown district.

Frank

Frank

April Fools on the internet is usually insufferably terrible.

Cracked's however, is pretty fucking brilliant.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-guilty-pleasures-that-are-secretly-saving-world/

fade

fade

I hate, like, everything, and even I can't figure out why so many people complain about internet April Fool's pranks. At best they're funny, at worst a minor inconvenience.

Frank

Frank

I hate, like, everything, and even I can't figure out why so many people complain about internet April Fool's pranks. At best they're funny, at worst a minor inconvenience.
Usually it's either outright lies that aren't funny or shit that makes using websites more of a pain in the ass. When they're unobtrusive or even a bit funny (Netflix)

or they're rad (whatever Google does), great. If only the internet had a clever filter.

Dei

Dei

Did Blizzard not do one this year?

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Blizzard has been slack ass for a few years on their holidays recently.

It's all been rehashes of previous holidays. All ingame holiday events have had no new quests/stories and only updated the same items from previous years with new stats/iLVL. The April Fools this year was just their Crabby forum thing with the same lines it had last year.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Apparently, Facebook's prank is to disrergard virtually all instruction you give it when uploading photos, and just arbitrarily upload a portion of the selected files to upload, and upload doubles of a few of them, and then put them in the wrong order and not display any descriptions, tags or locations you put in.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Apparently, Facebook's prank is to disrergard virtually all instruction you give it when uploading photos, and just arbitrarily upload a portion of the selected files to upload, and upload doubles of a few of them, and then put them in the wrong order and not display any descriptions, tags or locations you put in.
HA! Classic.

bhamv3

bhamv3

And to mess with people super effectively, they started doing that before April 1st even came around! Way way before, in fact!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

And to mess with people super effectively, they started doing that before April 1st even came around! Way way before, in fact!
It's been a long time since I posted photos to facebook.
However, I will say, no joke, that I tried for the sixth time to upload these photos at 12:13am April 2nd (13 minutes after the end of April Fools' Day), and they uploaded in some semblance of order (ordered by date taken on the camera, correctly, though for some reason there were still a few doubles made that were put out of order), and saved all my changes, including reordering, I put in on Facebook.

bhamv3

bhamv3

It's been a long time since I posted photos to facebook.
However, I will say, no joke, that I tried for the sixth time to upload these photos at 12:13am April 2nd (13 minutes after the end of April Fools' Day), and they uploaded in some semblance of order (ordered by date taken on the camera, correctly, though for some reason there were still a few doubles made that were put out of order), and saved all my changes, including reordering, I put in on Facebook.
I tried uploading photos a week or two ago, and they bugged out exactly like you described earlier. I ended up having to upload them one by one, just so they wouldn't randomly repeat or skip photos.

phil

phil

So for SC2 they said that because they liked the art for a Terran unit called the hell hound (I think) but it was never included in the game. So they said that terran gets it, but to not make it over powered all the other races got it too.

They just changed the harvester skin.

Frank

Frank

Is that why the harvester was so messed up.

It happened just as I tried muliplayer for the first time in years and I had thought that I had some setting switched somewhere since the entire multiplayer interface was alien to me.