Ads come to Xbox 360 via your Dashboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
See, I don't agree with any sort of, "It's not invasive, not a problem" argument that makes complainers out to be idiots.
I don't like this sort of thing in the industry purely because it's a slippery slope industry. If you don't voice complaints about this sort of thing, the game companies try to see how far it can be pushed.

C

Chazwozel

quandofloo said:
You mean when the only communication was by smoke signal and the only history available was the oral history passed down by the tribal elders?
Don't be so smug. Those tribal communities probably lived out a more fulfilled existence than we modern folk can only dream of.

General Fuzzy McBitty said:
See, I don't agree with any sort of, "It's not invasive, not a problem" argument that makes complainers out to be idiots.
If people don't see it as a problem, why would they complain about it? :bush:

I don't like this sort of thing in the industry purely because it's a slippery slope industry. If you don't voice complaints about this sort of thing, the game companies try to see how far it can be pushed.
Um, of course they will. Any business would. A good business will do focus-testing and usability testing first to see if customers respond positively, but any company that's not a non-profit will push any revenue stream as far as they can until the costs involved (whether financial costs, long-term brand equity, missed market opportunities, etc) become prohibitive.

Edrondol said:
Yeah, that $59 a year is a deal breaker. :toocool:
It does keep me from playing online with the console. Can't say that I'd play much online even if it was free though.

As for the ads, if they keep it as shown in the vid I have 0 issues with it. I hardly spend time in the menu's anyway and when I do I can just easily skip over it in less then a second.

I buy Gold every year for my son as a birthday present.

As to the OP, complaining about it doesn't make you any less of an idiot than my not liking Wall-E because of hot robot love. It's an opinion.

I just think of the ways they could be doing it this is the most palatable for everyone involved.

J

JCM

Chazwozel said:
quandofloo said:
You mean when the only communication was by smoke signal and the only history available was the oral history passed down by the tribal elders?
Don't be so smug. Those tribal communities probably lived out a more fulfilled existence than we modern folk can only dream of.
Nah, I´ll take travelling and drinking over hunting and making 15 kids.

L

Lally

I'm usually pretty anti-advertisements (especially if I've paid for a service) but we're always on xbox live and I've never been bothered by any ads on there. In fact, we've downloaded a couple free demos because of them. I've never seen anything advertised other than their downloadable content, games, and once there was a contest to win an Audi (which of course the bf entered because he's in love with Audis). If it was random commercials or very obtrusive it would definitely irritate me more, but they are topical and not irritating at all. But on the other hand, I do understand what everyone else is saying... a service you've paid for shouldn't have advertisements.

General Fuzzy McBitty said:

Then don't buy an xbox even if you considered it and don't enjoy the best games on the market... All that for little ads that most people didn't even notice until people got on their high horse over something trivial.

VIVA LA REVOLUCION

P.S. I have an xbox with live, meaning i know what i'm talking about, not like some white knights talking out of their ass!

Then don't buy an xbox even if you considered it and don't enjoy the best games on the market...
Oh man, poor console fanboys... they think they play good games...

Chazwozel said:
quandofloo said:
Sure, if they made it past the age of 8...

dude, i've owned computers my whole life. Assume much?

When i meant market, i meant console market, thought that was obvious.

as for the fanboy comment, rather that than an internet troll.

Hah... we get regeneration, what do you get?!

And everyone owns computers... big deal.

(also, never let the obvious get in the way, or you'll never be good at being on the internet)

Maybe with these adds they can now give a dedicated server farm for the games? :rofl: Please Microsoft now tell me again why I'm paying $59 a year for a product with advertising, that does the same thing the PS3 offers for free. Before I could see the value and advantage. Now? I'm not quite sure.

C

Chibibar

TeKeo said:
I don't think those ads are remotely intrusive, but I'm concerned about Microsoft's ability to sell the ad-space. If this doesn't work, they may scrap it and replace it with something a lot less palatable, like a fixed ad window in the lower left corner.

The in-house ads that they had before were click-to-play game trailers and direct response ads of the "buy now on XBLA and get 50% off game ABC" type. These are ads that require very little time to grab a response from a consumer. Even if a user was just flipping past the tabs, there's a good chance that they'll see the entire ad, and they may stop to look more closely or respond to it.

A 15 to 30 sec video/audio ad, however, actually requires users to stop and look at the ad for an extended period of time for the pay-off. If I'm an advertiser, and I know that the vast majority of users won't see more than a second of my ad, Microsoft is going to really have to lowball it to sell me the ad space.

It all comes down to the numbers of course, and maybe Microsoft has already sold the ad space to movie and TV studios to show trailers that people might actually want to see, so they believe that their actuals will match their predicted numbers.

But I'm skeptical it will work, and if it doesn't, I think there's no way MS won't try for something that's less easily dismissed.
like all ads (for anything really) they are hoping a percentage of them WILL click on it. So consider there are millions of xbox users, the company might get 1000? 10000? view? it could worth something. (to Microsoft)

Chibibar said:
like all ads (for anything really) they are hoping a percentage of them WILL click on it. So consider there are millions of xbox users, the company might get 1000? 10000? view? it could worth something. (to Microsoft)
Which is why I said it comes down to numbers. It's not whether it's worth anything to Microsoft, it's whether it's worth anything to advertisers, and the placement, nature, and implementation of the ad makes me doubtful that a lot of advertisers will find it valuable. That it seems likely that the vast majority of users won't even see the entire ad is discouraging.

C

Chibibar

Also people will always try to get "away" with things.

If there is money involve, corporation will try this also. Complacency (I think that is a word) is a problem. People should always be aware of what is going on around them. Only a few voice their opinion and big corporation (and government) will do things to see how far they can get.

The only good example is Taxes. Back in the old day, you have limit taxes and only a few thing. Now-a-days people are so use to taxes that most tax get pass/raise an not many will "bat" an eye for it.

Another is price "rising" people don't mind if it is a few cent (5 cent raise) on an item. Heck, there wasn't a real vocal (news wise) against gasoline until it nearly hit 4$-5$ in some places. I notice that soda is slowly rising from use to be 25cent a can to like 75 cent a can in most vending machine. (I don't count theme park where they charge like 3$ for a 20oz bottle.)

Status
Not open for further replies.